Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

2 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

Little consideration:

We know now GW won't release any other Aelves battletome this year, and we had 2 Order battlerome already in 2018. Although, lately, we had 2/3 (if you wanna consider MoN) GHB armies which received a battletome including Nighthaut . So considering the rumors are Slaanesh to be released next year (plans form a GW insider are to release 1 chaos god each year and we had 3 already), can we speculate on our Wanderers to be released maube mid to late nezt year? I think we would give a nice addition to the Order armies (considering a lot of mixed Order armies already bring SoT and GG as part of their core must have units). I tink al these thigs conidered I cannot see other Order factions having released a battle tome for. Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed!!! I sort of expect a human faction to be the next order faction updated (after Stormcast 3.0) but maybe that will come in the Autumn and we'll get Wanderers next year.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

Little consideration:

We know now GW won't release any other Aelves battletome this year, and we had 2 Order battlerome already in 2018. Although, lately, we had 2/3 (if you wanna consider MoN) GHB armies which received a battletome including Nighthaut . So considering the rumors are Slaanesh to be released next year (plans form a GW insider are to release 1 chaos god each year and we had 3 already), can we speculate on our Wanderers to be released maube mid to late nezt year? I think we would give a nice addition to the Order armies (considering a lot of mixed Order armies already bring SoT and GG as part of their core must have units). I tink al these thigs conidered I cannot see other Order factions having released a battle tome for. Fingers crossed

Has there been any information to suggest Wanderers are getting a release in the forseeable future?

I've pretty much assumed it's not gonna happen. We've had lots of Aelf releases and I think when they do eventually return to Aelves it will be the new high aelves or shadow aelves mentioned in the lore. I could be wrong but I don't think GW plan to ever expand Wanderers.

7 hours ago, Orsino said:

I've pretty much assumed it's not gonna happen. We've had lots of Aelf releases and I think when they do eventually return to Aelves it will be the new high aelves or shadow aelves mentioned in the lore. I could be wrong but I don't think GW plan to ever expand Wanderers.

Eh, we've no real reason to be expecting one, exactly...  but then again I think many people thought the same as you and then AoS expanded Daughters of Khaine. And now Nighthaunt are being expanded as well, so who knows? If Wanderers do get a release at some point, I do agree it's likely to be after a release for either the Tyrion or Malerion aelves, or both.

But then again they wouldn't need a huge release would they? And GW has clearly stepped up production capacity. A plastic Wardancer box, a plastic Waywatchers/elite archer unit box, and a mounted hero of some kind. Boom! Faction complete.

13 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

Although, lately, we had 2/3 (if you wanna consider MoN) GHB armies which received a battletome including Nighthaut .

Not sure I'm following you here, there were 15 factions that got allegiances in the last GHB, and Nighthaunt are the first to get a big release/battletome* (no Nighthaunt battletome actually confirmed yet, I think? But safe to assume per the GW business model).

Still it's encouraging to see them get a release less than a year after getting their GHB allegiance abilities. 

So with this talk about changes to shooting, even though we don't know anything yet besides the words 'no more shooting out of combat,' all I can think about is that the Wanderer battletrait 'Melt Away' is probably going to make a lot more sense soon. Being able to retreat and then still shoot didn't seem groundbreaking when we got it, but now could be key to our ability to still target (almost) whoever we want because you can't hold Wanderers down in combat unless you surround them completely. And even then, if the unit is within 6 inches of the board edge, *poof*! ?

8 hours ago, awcamawn said:

Eh, we've no real reason to be expecting one, exactly...  but then again I think many people thought the same as you and then AoS expanded Daughters of Khaine. And now Nighthaunt are being expanded as well, so who knows? If Wanderers do get a release at some point, I do agree it's likely to be after a release for either the Tyrion or Malerion aelves, or both.

But then again they wouldn't need a huge release would they? And GW has clearly stepped up production capacity. A plastic Wardancer box, a plastic Waywatchers/elite archer unit box, and a mounted hero of some kind. Boom! Faction complete.

Just have to keep purchasing/playing the army and hope for the best. I doubt we'll see Wardancers come back or Waywatchers go back to being a unit instead of a single model.

The not-particularly-Wood-Elfy look of the Eternal Guard has always been suspicious to me, makes me wonder if the Wanderers range will get cannibalized in the future.

12 hours ago, awcamawn said:

Not sure I'm following you here, there were 15 factions that got allegiances in the last GHB, and Nighthaunt are the first to get a big release/battletome* (no Nighthaunt battletome actually confirmed yet, I think? But safe to assume per the GW business model).

Still it's encouraging to see them get a release less than a year after getting their GHB allegiance abilities. 

I assume I was just talking aboit GHB factions as oppose to compendium factions (armies that are real and playable, not firebellies for example), more so GHB faction which had an allegiance designed for in GHB. And, yes, they have teased a Nighthaunt Battletome so I assume they are indeed gting one. Idk it just got me hoping. It might just be that with the "Tyrion/Malerion Aelves" GW will release all those factions of "city Aelves" in one Battletome (excluding all those that are getting the Legend tag) making them mixable or posssible to play as individual armies and allegiances. Again I am just dreaming eyes open here, dont actually have any foundation or proof that tis will happen.

9 hours ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

Has there been any updates on Wanderers with the Faction Focus?

Do we know if they are intending to do one?

PS. I can't wait for the Legends updates.

Not yet but hopefully

I' seeing that lovely stormcast war machine, if we get rid of the silly lion head and put a couple of elves on 40mm bases I think it'll look awesome, some nice artillery to cover our forces while they move on in

5 hours ago, Aelfric said:

With command points tied to battalions, it seems that our one battalion may be more viable.  I hope it comes down in points.  Hoping some of our missile units may become a bit cheaper too under the new rules.

Give us glade riders back and i would be happy with the battalion, the special deployment costs us a hero phase, and that is huge on a alpha strike army, although we do have movement options to counteract it

Archers like Glade guard have basically 2 attacks they just happen in different phases 1 in combat and one in shooting. They aren't great at shooting when under 20 models and they are dreadful in combat but that -3 Rend one shot makes their points cost really high and that coupled with the fact they are Battleline means you have a hefty tax for core units before being able to buy more interesting units. Wanderers don't have much to choose from though especially now Wood Elves have been pushed out. Meanwhile storm cast are getting yet another bunch of units...that's like 50+ units to choose from now vs what 10 or 12 wanderer units?  still many other armies are in the same boat especially older Aelven armies. Doesn't seem very fair though does it. 

No shooting when in combat will make archers less powerful and give opponents more of a reason to send fast movers to engage archers and shut down their power. AoS greatly reduced the range of shooters compared to WHFB 8th Edition while also greatly increasing movement of all units making shooting armies much less viable without decent support or speed. That's no bad thing as I can't think of anything worse than facing or even playing the Kunning Ruk in AoS but archers need to come down a lot in pts to compensate. Savage orcs with 2 wounds who can fire 7 times a turn are cheap enough though. The wording I read was no more shooting "out of combat". does this mean shooters can continue to fire at (and only at) units they are in combat with?

I agree with what someone said earlier that it makes the Melt away wanderers trait much more useful now but our archers are so weak they won't last more than one round of fighting anyway. It's better than nothing and it's the right flavour for Wanderers. Sisters of the watch with Stand and shoot may be more valuable now but I still think they cost too much. I really struggle to get decent sized units into 2k AoS Armies. Looking forward to what the new rules changes may bring in June.

13 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

Command points are cool and all, i just wish we had some better heros to use those points on besides nomad prince and waywatcher. The 1 in 6 chance on the other commanders available seem pretty meh.

With the re-roll from the Wanderer's allegiance abilities, it is about a 30% chance if you use the re-roll to aim for a 1.

After hearing about the stories in the DoK tome, I can't see Wanderers ever making it out of the grand alliance book. Alarielle was the closest we came to having a god bring them back and I think Revanants are all we get. None of the other god aelves are going to make wanderers. Our one hope is Orion wandering in and bring them back from the outer realms. I will still continue to collect and play them. 

16 minutes ago, Lordzombie said:

After hearing about the stories in the DoK tome, I can't see Wanderers ever making it out of the grand alliance book. Alarielle was the closest we came to having a god bring them back and I think Revanants are all we get. None of the other god aelves are going to make wanderers. Our one hope is Orion wandering in and bring them back from the outer realms. I will still continue to collect and play them. 

The same could be said for swifthawk agents, and yet they had a feature in a malignant portent short story.

We may never get a battletome, we may never get lore exploring why wanderers are here, and why they fight like they do, but what is stopping the community stepping up to fill the void?

If you have some cool fluff, post it here and on the age of sigmar Facebook page, painted up a new unit? Post it up

The only way game workshop will do anything for wanderers/darkling covens/Phoenix temple etc, etc is if the community shows there is passion and love for them 

So seeing how the nerf bat has hit shooting so far any early ideas on how to mitigate?  Are we just going to have to run more spellweavers, eternal guard and rangers for more melee focus? I know its still a little early as wanderers faction focus hasn’t dropped yet but man it looks pretty rough if we don’t get some significant unit price reductions on our shooting units.

1 hour ago, Cambot1231 said:

So seeing how the nerf bat has hit shooting so far any early ideas on how to mitigate?  Are we just going to have to run more spellweavers, eternal guard and rangers for more melee focus? I know its still a little early as wanderers faction focus hasn’t dropped yet but man it looks pretty rough if we don’t get some significant unit price reductions on our shooting units.

Shooting nerfs? 

Correct there have been a few shooting nerfs or new rules coming in AoS 2.0 that make shooting less potent.  You will no longer be able to shoot a unit out of combat and another new rule says that if a hero Is within 3” of 3 or more other models in a unit the hero will receive -1 to hit in the shooting phase. 

34 minutes ago, Cambot1231 said:

Correct there have been a few shooting nerfs or new rules coming in AoS 2.0 that make shooting less potent.  You will no longer be able to shoot a unit out of combat and another new rule says that if a hero Is within 3” of 3 or more other models in a unit the hero will receive -1 to hit in the shooting phase. 

And wanderers can fall back and shoot, so combat matters little

-1, our good shooting is +1 and also potentially rerolling 1s to hit, sure it hurts, but not that much 

6 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

Well.. I'd primarily just hope for points reductions on all shooters. GG same points as EG :D

9 hours ago, adreal said:

And wanderers can fall back and shoot, so combat matters little

-1, our good shooting is +1 and also potentially rerolling 1s to hit, sure it hurts, but not that much 

Well combat does matter because most if not all archers will be dead after the first round of combat so you won't have much left to shoot with but at least we can melt away unlike most. Even large units of GG will probably suffer enough casualties to lose the hit on  3's from having 20+models.  Shooting while engaged in combat mitigated the AoS move to short range for all shooting (a bit) but now thats gone it really hurts shooters. Goblin bowmen are better in combat than GG and you can get 2 or 3 for the price of a GG. that one shot -3 rend makes GG so expensive it's a big tax on our core battleline. I'd rather have something more flexible - archers who can fight and out shoot the average freeguild bowman. Knowing you can shut down an enemy units shooting by getting anything into combat with them will increase the amount of fast moving chaff in the games and encourage players to focus on clogging up shotters with combat. It makes cavalry a little more useful but ultimately it's a big blow to Wanderer shooting lists. We will need more screens to cope which detracts from shooting units. 

Freeguild shooters can get extra attacks, stand and shoot and access to lots of +1 to hit bonuses making them much better and for less points. My brother collects free guild (Empire from 2nd to 8th edition), he tried AoS once, machine gunned 80% of my wood elf army with hand gunners and crossbowmen in one turn and we called it before we finished turn 1. He never played again. He said it was Too easy :D oh well. 2yrs later and I still cannot coax him back.

2 hours ago, WABBIT said:

Well combat does matter because most if not all archers will be dead after the first round of combat so you won't have much left to shoot with but at least we can melt away unlike most. Even large units of GG will probably suffer enough casualties to lose the hit on  3's from having 20+models.  Shooting while engaged in combat mitigated the AoS move to short range for all shooting (a bit) but now thats gone it really hurts shooters. Goblin bowmen are better in combat than GG and you can get 2 or 3 for the price of a GG. that one shot -3 rend makes GG so expensive it's a big tax on our core battleline. I'd rather have something more flexible - archers who can fight and out shoot the average freeguild bowman. Knowing you can shut down an enemy units shooting by getting anything into combat with them will increase the amount of fast moving chaff in the games and encourage players to focus on clogging up shotters with combat. It makes cavalry a little more useful but ultimately it's a big blow to Wanderer shooting lists. We will need more screens to cope which detracts from shooting units. 

Freeguild shooters can get extra attacks, stand and shoot and access to lots of +1 to hit bonuses making them much better and for less points. My brother collects free guild (Empire from 2nd to 8th edition), he tried AoS once, machine gunned 80% of my wood elf army with hand gunners and crossbowmen in one turn and we called it before we finished turn 1. He never played again. He said it was Too easy :D oh well. 2yrs later and I still cannot coax him back.

GG are just overpriced... -3 rend was nice before dealing MW was everywhere.. now it's just not worth as much. And GG stats just don't fit their (previous) lore.

However.. I don't think it's a bad thing you now need to protect archers a bit from combat.

Archived