Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

@Aezeal I just realized from testing why I prefer one unit of 20x EG instead of two units of 10x. I cast mystic shield on them a lot, and I want it to affect all 20 of them, not just 10 of them. 

Also, here are a couple pics, I'll post more when I get around to taking them!

jdWz9Ut.jpg

CPLqHPd.jpg

otnmNC6.jpg

nyNNQUn.jpg

kGZT8iF.jpg

yZBLCZU.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the style doesn't match, but it does look nice next to Dryads, Treekin, and even Kurnoth's imo. Ultraforge renamed themselves to CreatureCaster, and they have a new treewoman with a different pose. I'm going to get that eventually, it's not often that I have more than 2 on the table anyways. 

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

I wonder if we will be able to aly with the Hurricanum.  It combines well with waywatchers and waywatchers heroes (not as well as raptors.. But still). 

I literally logged in today to post about a small local tournament I just played, where I used this synergy. The Waywatchers/Waystalkers scale so well with Hurricanum it's insane. Here's the list and a break down of how it went.

Heroes

-  Nomad Prince - General [Legendary Fighter and Obstinate Blade]

- Glade Lord on a Great Eagle

- Teclis  Teclis is my go-to Wizard now. His 36" snare is incredible on targets like Mawcrushers, Dragons, Stonehorns, etc. Plus he is 3 wizards for the price of 2. Every one of my opponents commented on how much it messed with their strategy.

- 3x Waywatcher Lords

Battleline

-  20x Glade Guard

- 10x Glade Guard

-3x Waywatchers

Other Units

-  Celestial Hurricanum  Note that you don't get the spell, unless you give up one of the heroes to make a slot for the battlemage.

-  10x Eternal Guard

-  3x Kurnoth Hunters with Bows

-  3x Kurnoth Hunters with Scythes

-  3x Tree Kin

Games

Game 1  -  Ironjaws  Objectives were in the middle of the board. Bad matchup for me. He got first turn and tried to charge me right away, but I positioned a bit behind the 12" so he only made it with one unit. Still, he had both objectives and I was already locked in combat. I shot his Mawcrusher off the table right away and killed most of another unit. Turns progressed and I was stuck in combat while he scored points for objectives. Game ended because I accidentally tabled him on turn 4. I needed to kill enough of his last unit to be able to charge in range of the objective and score it, and I needed the unit to survive so I could score points on turn 5. Unfortunately, battleshock made them leave on turn 4 and the game ended, so I lost by a point, even though he was tabled and I had most of my army intact. :(

Game 2  -  Flesh Eater Courts  Five objectives on the table, with only the middle one needing to be contested basically. We started at the far ends of the table instead of on the long sides as usual. He was playing Ghoul Patrol, so I needed to prevent him from laying into my 20x Glade Guard before they could shoot his Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist. He had a ton of ways to revive dead models, and he had a lot of Crypt Horrors. I needed to kill his heroes or focus a unit to kill it in one turn. Luckily, I was able to pretty quickly contest the middle objective with my Tree Kin and Scythe Hunters, and my Bow Hunters shielded the Glade Guard from a rear charge. I tabled him by turn 4 and won the objectives. 

Game 3 - Beastclaw  This list is one of my buddy's, I've played and lost to it several times. It's a horrible matchup. Objective was just to kill, so I deployed defensively in the corner where there was the best cover. He had no way to get around the sides, so my frontline was solid with Hunters up front and Eternal Guard behind them. My Eagle Lord and Tree Kin spread out on the more exposed side to prevent his Wyvern general from flying close, which worked nicely. He gave me first turn and I used that to shoot one of his wizards off the table, and had Teclis snare one of his two Thundertusks. I wanted to reduce the chance of taking 6 mortal wounds if possible. After all his moving he was just far enough away to fail most of his charges. He managed to get the snared Thundertusk in range of my Kurnoths, but it missed. The other one hit the Kurnoths, staying out of range of my archers, which was smart of him. 

If I could win the initiative, I would have a shot at killing his Wyvern general before he could Waagh, and I could cripple the Stonehorn. Normally I would shoot the Thundertusks but they were too far away, which was bad. Unfortunately, he won the initiative, took the double turn and proceeded to Thundertusk my Nomad Prince off the table, kill most of my Hunters, and kill my Eagle Lord. The game went downhill from there as expected. 

All in all, really fun games and everyone was surprised at how much damage the list put out each shooting phase. The Waystalkers average 6 wounds at -1 when standing still in range of the Hurricanum. Points per wound, that's pretty insane value as far as Wanderers go!

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

I wonder if we will be able to aly with the Hurricanum.  It combines well with waywatchers and waywatchers heroes (not as well as raptors.. But still). 

I expect the hurricanum will get a decent sized points increase as it seems to be an auto include in just about very Order list.  Every Order thread seems to boil down to "add a hurricanum" regardless of faction.  My guess is that Wanderers will not be able to ally with it as it doesn't really fit the theme.

2 hours ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I expect the hurricanum will get a decent sized points increase as it seems to be an auto include in just about very Order list.  Every Order thread seems to boil down to "add a hurricanum" regardless of faction.  My guess is that Wanderers will not be able to ally with it as it doesn't really fit the theme.

True, bonus to hit is always nice especially for shooty lists as is mw. However for units with an effect on 6 to hit this is even better which means that even with points increase it might be worth it. Fear you are right about allies. Sylvaneth is certain, stormcast almost certain, other aelves dubious and everything else very unlikely.

2 hours ago, Tidings said:

I literally logged in today to post about a small local tournament I just played, where I used this synergy. The Waywatchers/Waystalkers scale so well with Hurricanum it's insane. Here's the list and a break down of how it went.

Heroes

-  Nomad Prince - General [Legendary Fighter and Obstinate Blade]

- Glade Lord on a Great Eagle

- Teclis  Teclis is my go-to Wizard now. His 36" snare is incredible on targets like Mawcrushers, Dragons, Stonehorns, etc. Plus he is 3 wizards for the price of 2. Every one of my opponents commented on how much it messed with their strategy.

- 3x Waywatcher Lords

Battleline

-  20x Glade Guard

- 10x Glade Guard

-3x Waywatchers

Other Units

-  Celestial Hurricanum  Note that you don't get the spell, unless you give up one of the heroes to make a slot for the battlemage.

-  10x Eternal Guard

-  3x Kurnoth Hunters with Bows

-  3x Kurnoth Hunters with Scythes

-  3x Tree Kin

Games

Game 1  -  Ironjaws  Objectives were in the middle of the board. Bad matchup for me. He got first turn and tried to charge me right away, but I positioned a bit behind the 12" so he only made it with one unit. Still, he had both objectives and I was already locked in combat. I shot his Mawcrusher off the table right away and killed most of another unit. Turns progressed and I was stuck in combat while he scored points for objectives. Game ended because I accidentally tabled him on turn 4. I needed to kill enough of his last unit to be able to charge in range of the objective and score it, and I needed the unit to survive so I could score points on turn 5. Unfortunately, battleshock made them leave on turn 4 and the game ended, so I lost by a point, even though he was tabled and I had most of my army intact. :(

Game 2  -  Flesh Eater Courts  Five objectives on the table, with only the middle one needing to be contested basically. We started at the far ends of the table instead of on the long sides as usual. He was playing Ghoul Patrol, so I needed to prevent him from laying into my 20x Glade Guard before they could shoot his Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist. He had a ton of ways to revive dead models, and he had a lot of Crypt Horrors. I needed to kill his heroes or focus a unit to kill it in one turn. Luckily, I was able to pretty quickly contest the middle objective with my Tree Kin and Scythe Hunters, and my Bow Hunters shielded the Glade Guard from a rear charge. I tabled him by turn 4 and won the objectives. 

Game 3 - Beastclaw  This list is one of my buddy's, I've played and lost to it several times. It's a horrible matchup. Objective was just to kill, so I deployed defensively in the corner where there was the best cover. He had no way to get around the sides, so my frontline was solid with Hunters up front and Eternal Guard behind them. My Eagle Lord and Tree Kin spread out on the more exposed side to prevent his Wyvern general from flying close, which worked nicely. He gave me first turn and I used that to shoot one of his wizards off the table, and had Teclis snare one of his two Thundertusks. I wanted to reduce the chance of taking 6 mortal wounds if possible. After all his moving he was just far enough away to fail most of his charges. He managed to get the snared Thundertusk in range of my Kurnoths, but it missed. The other one hit the Kurnoths, staying out of range of my archers, which was smart of him. 

If I could win the initiative, I would have a shot at killing his Wyvern general before he could Waagh, and I could cripple the Stonehorn. Normally I would shoot the Thundertusks but they were too far away, which was bad. Unfortunately, he won the initiative, took the double turn and proceeded to Thundertusk my Nomad Prince off the table, kill most of my Hunters, and kill my Eagle Lord. The game went downhill from there as expected. 

All in all, really fun games and everyone was surprised at how much damage the list put out each shooting phase. The Waystalkers average 6 wounds at -1 when standing still in range of the Hurricanum. Points per wound, that's pretty insane value as far as Wanderers go!

For this list the new allegiance abilities might be less relevant so remaining generic order and keeping the list might still be good. 

9 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

For this list the new allegiance abilities might be less relevant so remaining generic order and keeping the list might still be good. 

Yep. So far the only concrete ability we've seen for Wanderers is Melt Away which is just not that useful. The mention of moving off the board and coming back onto the table somewhere else sounds way more interesting, but at the moment I'll plan to keep playing Mixed Order. 

2 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Yep. So far the only concrete ability we've seen for Wanderers is Melt Away which is just not that useful. The mention of moving off the board and coming back onto the table somewhere else sounds way more interesting, but at the moment I'll plan to keep playing Mixed Order. 

Moving off the board is kinda useful for archer who nearly get charged... full shooty army might like it.

11 hours ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

It's definitely going up in points like you said, but really hope it doesn't become off limits to us! We have NO source of mortal wounds, and the +1 to hit is so valuable to our decidedly average archers. 

Nice models @Tidings  Did you answer what the Wolves count as?  Orion?

I think the Waywatcher/Hurricanum synergy highlights: a) the lack of synergy in the Wanderer options b) why Waywatchers are better than GG cause they benefit from the Hurricanum in both +1 to hit and the ability to improve an ability.  That is my biggest issue with GG.  

@Popisdead Thanks man! Yeah I use the Wolves as Hunting Hounds. I've used them as Wild Riders before too, when playing Pathstone Wayfinders since I don't have my second unit built yet. 

Yeah, the only synergy we have is with ranged units that are better by standing still (Waystalker, Sisters of the Watch) and defensive units that are better by standing still (Eternal Guard) with our general putting out his reroll 1s bubble. The funny thing is though, this synergy is basically the opposite of what Wanderers are supposed to be like. Judging by the old playstyle and how GW is apparently trying to reinforce that playstyle with rules like "Melt Away"

Here's a few more pics! Glade Guard, a close up and some Dryads showing off how I base my army

fOR6Sk2.jpg

SVP5c7V.jpg

zvt1Lle.jpg

4 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I fully agree with that.  I even like my Treekin.  It might be sentimental romance of how broken the army was in 2005 and easy it was to play but I love that era of models.  

I hate treekin.. I bought some 3th party replacements for them (and I've not done that before or after).

5 hours ago, Tidings said:

Thanks! Yeah I love the Glade Guard models. I think they've actually aged better than most other models - they still look stylish and cool compared to new stuff for the most part. 

I still have the monopose GG from wayback.. the new ones have indeed aged quite a bit better :D

7 hours ago, Tidings said:

@Popisdead Thanks man! Yeah I use the Wolves as Hunting Hounds. I've used them as Wild Riders before too, when playing Pathstone Wayfinders since I don't have my second unit built yet. 

Yeah, the only synergy we have is with ranged units that are better by standing still (Waystalker, Sisters of the Watch) and defensive units that are better by standing still (Eternal Guard) with our general putting out his reroll 1s bubble. The funny thing is though, this synergy is basically the opposite of what Wanderers are supposed to be like. Judging by the old playstyle and how GW is apparently trying to reinforce that playstyle with rules like "Melt Away"

Here's a few more pics! Glade Guard, a close up and some Dryads showing off how I base my army

Yeah good point about those synergies not supporting the old wood elves fluff or the new rule. I doubt the rules will be changed.. but something more thematic on those warscrolls would be nice. 

4 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I hate treekin.. I bought some 3th party replacements for them (and I've not done that before or after).

Yeah not popular by many.  I haven't seen a 3rd party that really impresses me though.  so 6 of one, half dozen the others it seems.

4 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I still have the monopose GG from wayback.. the new ones have indeed aged quite a bit better :D

I"m using some of the old 1980s metal Jes Goodwin mono pose these days.  The character and classic feel stands out as quite nice to paint

"retreat and shoot army wide, reroll battleshock, teleport from if you are 6" from a side to another side"

On magic items/command traits: "they have forest variation of the order stuff. The only one new is : myst walker : can't shoot the general unless he's the closest (like 40k)"

you guys saw this?

Archived