Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

Spellweaver helps for that especially in the first turns when the dragon will possibly still not be in CC (therefore I can use spells to reinforce other units), but anyway I hope the dragon and the executioners will help a bit in taking away the attention. Also ppl in my area know my waywathcer heroes and those too will draw attention away from them. I also changed the second list  a bit losing the waywatchers for another waywatcher hero and another warhawk raider. That will help me delaying the enemy charges and movement.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone, I'm just starting in AoS, been away from the hobby for a while, played 40k as a kid, picked up a few wood elf minis because they looked great, i have found my Forest Dragon with Lord and ainur sword of twilight from Mordhime (who surely be used as a proxy) , so it got me looking at the Wanderers, one thing lead to another an i want to pick up an AoS army. 

I'm aware they might not be the Meta at the moment, but they have always interested me and i'd like some advice on where to find a decent Mixed Order list that focuses on Wanderers (i am the sort to convert things to match the Army theme, so don't worry if its not an elf unit, it will be when i'm finished)

It's been a good read so far, i've got a lot more to go, page 10 of 48 D:

4 hours ago, Seadee said:

Hello everyone, I'm just starting in AoS, been away from the hobby for a while, played 40k as a kid, picked up a few wood elf minis because they looked great, i have found my Forest Dragon with Lord and ainur sword of twilight from Mordhime (who surely be used as a proxy) , so it got me looking at the Wanderers, one thing lead to another an i want to pick up an AoS army. 

I'm aware they might not be the Meta at the moment, but they have always interested me and i'd like some advice on where to find a decent Mixed Order list that focuses on Wanderers (i am the sort to convert things to match the Army theme, so don't worry if its not an elf unit, it will be when i'm finished)

It's been a good read so far, i've got a lot more to go, page 10 of 48 D:

In this topic there are a few mixed order lists.. I had a post about it a few pages back.... I think it's slightly more competitive than pure wanderers but still not all that.

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

In this topic there are a few mixed order lists.. I had a post about it a few pages back.... I think it's slightly more competitive than pure wanderers but still not all that.

Oh that is a shame :( I assume wanderers are just in a lull while they try to figure out what to do with the elf part of the old wood elf parties, since sylvaneth don't like them any more. 

From what I've seen it seems every units job is done better by someone else who you can have in a mixed army, bar GG...  

I wouldn't mind seeing a melee focused list and using the dragon, but if the situation really is that dire I guess I'll just make the dragon a display piece and have a good think about the army... 

More of a theme is important but not so it gimps me guy 

I think GG, waywatcher, EG and sisters of the watch are not bad and not overclassed by non wanderer units in their roles (caveat: I have highelf spearmen in my list not EG since the spearmen are battleline and EG are not). In a mixed order list the compendium waywatcher units are also nice. 

The rangers are somewhat out classed by the executioners atm in the elite melee department. I've not tried the compendium hero's recently but I think the lord on stag and eagle would still be good for their points in armies that don't go for synergy with a hurricanum (where waywatcher hero's are hard to beat). In the behemoth department my guesses would be more difficult.. I think the forestdragon ability can be good... but probably less so than other dragons and ALL dragons probably loose out to ice phoenices in efficiency. The avatar probably is subpar too.

btw when I said sub par I meant that for a competitive environment.. casual you should be able to do well against quite a few armies...fast melee armies or hordes might be difficult to deal with though.

Someone mentioned Wanderers as "not being Gypsies" this sort of stuck in my head and got me thinking that if anything they would be better suited AS Gypsies or to fill the Travelling Carnival vibe, Bards, Dancers, people with knowledge of the Mystic arts and an affinity with wildlife ... 

i have settled on a theme and i cant shift it from my head, so i would like to "borrow" your lists @Aezeal @Tidings or at least your current lists so i can help make a decision on it.

i wanted to use my Dragon, but as it stands unless i have some crazed Melee idea (which i might just have that) it would make more sense to base it around the Hurricanium, seems like a decent core unit.

Executioners instead of WR (but still use WR) GG for Alpha strikes, Skinks for Objective Harassment, i was considering Stormcast of some sort for Defensive walls as i can make them fit with the Travelling Carnival as Mercenary / body guards...

Googling Gypsy warrior tends to end up with the right image i have in my head...

Anyway, all help is appreciated, as i said i've always loved the idea of the Wood elves, pretty sure that if i had got into WHFB they would have been my army choice, my passion is re-envisioning and converting armies, so bringing the Wanderers into the Age of Sigma in an adapted way would be something i'd quite like to do...

for context of my mindset, i am currently building an Admech army for 40k which is comprised of short and rotund peoples, thats right, i am making a Squat army because why not? 

55 minutes ago, Seadee said:

Someone mentioned Wanderers as "not being Gypsies" this sort of stuck in my head and got me thinking that if anything they would be better suited AS Gypsies or to fill the Travelling Carnival vibe, Bards, Dancers, people with knowledge of the Mystic arts and an affinity with wildlife ... 

i have settled on a theme and i cant shift it from my head, so i would like to "borrow" your lists @Aezeal @Tidings or at least your current lists so i can help make a decision on it.

i wanted to use my Dragon, but as it stands unless i have some crazed Melee idea (which i might just have that) it would make more sense to base it around the Hurricanium, seems like a decent core unit.

Executioners instead of WR (but still use WR) GG for Alpha strikes, Skinks for Objective Harassment, i was considering Stormcast of some sort for Defensive walls as i can make them fit with the Travelling Carnival as Mercenary / body guards...

Googling Gypsy warrior tends to end up with the right image i have in my head...

Anyway, all help is appreciated, as i said i've always loved the idea of the Wood elves, pretty sure that if i had got into WHFB they would have been my army choice, my passion is re-envisioning and converting armies, so bringing the Wanderers into the Age of Sigma in an adapted way would be something i'd quite like to do...

for context of my mindset, i am currently building an Admech army for 40k which is comprised of short and rotund peoples, thats right, i am making a Squat army because why not? 

I used my carmine dragon which was intended to proxy as forest dragon (green) as a proxy phoenix.. you could do the same. I personally chose to avoid skinks and stormcast to make the army have a more similar aesthetic.. but they are good choices from a gameplay perspective.

38 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I used my carmine dragon which was intended to proxy as forest dragon (green) as a proxy phoenix.. you could do the same. I personally chose to avoid skinks and stormcast to make the army have a more similar aesthetic.. but they are good choices from a gameplay perspective.

Oh thats a good idea, save a bit of money and still get to use my dragon :D

This is the Carnival of the Golden Stag (i'll work this into the Hurricanum as some sort of Totem/Statue caravan )

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (380)
- General
- Trait: Tenacious
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (240)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Loremaster (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)

Battleline
10 x Glade Guard (120)
10 x Executioners (180)
- Darkling Covens Battleline
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Greatbows

Total: 1500 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 83

or for bigger games

Leaders
- General
Loremaster (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)

Battleline
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Executioners (180)
- Darkling Covens Battleline
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Skinks (60)

Units
- Greatbows
5 x Chameleon Skinks (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 118

or would i be better of ditching the skinks (both kinds) and getting 10 more Executioners? 

Or perhaps 

- General
Loremaster (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Executioners (180)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Skinks (60)
- Greatbows
3 x Steelheart's Champions (100)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 122

with Steelheart as the "caravan guard" ... tbh the Vanguard-Hunters @ 140 points would work and they have deepstrike (as do chameleon skinks) so their play style would fit better with the overall army...

then it would be quite mobile for the most part and with a little bit of work i can make them look like they are all part of the same army. 

Not sure why anyone thinks Wanders are not like Gypsies? I can't see what else they are like now they took forests aways from them and stopped calling them wood elves. The lore suggests they travel around the worlds all the time.  Even their new name suggests that. A good example are the Gyptians from Phillip Pullmans his Dark Materials Trilogy. As GW seem to have pushed the Steam punk element a lot in AoS recently I think His Dark materials has inspired quite a few new themes in AoS.

I hate the new name "Wanderers", wood elves are what I want to play and I still play Wanders as Woodevles but I see nothing wrong in thinking of Wanderers as gypsy like - There are some cool ideas that can come of it but they won't be wood elves. Wood Elves still have compendium lists so just use Wanderers and Wood Elves as the same label and you'll be fine . Obviously check your opponents are ok with it first. Tournaments will have their own rules.

24 minutes ago, Seadee said:

What are your opinions of Doomfire Warlocks (obviously we'd proxy in some stags and suitable riders, hate the overbite on their mounts, i know its part of their attack but... well stag antler attack works) ?

Last year London GT champion was running them I suppose their porpouse was capturing late objectives and empower the phoenixes (he was running 2).

3 hours ago, Seadee said:

or would i be better of ditching the skinks (both kinds) and getting 10 more Executioners? 

I think then you wouldn't have enough Battleline (Exectutioners don't count in mixed order). 

A couple of points on your lists in general:

1. I'd consolidate glade guard into a single unit of 30. With two units of 20, your opponent only needs to plink one in each unit to make them way less scary. 30 Glade guard and two units of 10 Skinks would be a very solid Battleline

2. I'd love to see you find the points to expand to 6 bow-Kurnoths rather than 3. I've found that 6 is the sweet spot to make them reliable damage dealers - I find it far too easy to whiff with just 3 of then, but maybe thats just me! In the most recent list, trimming Steelheart, the gryph-hound, and some Glade Guard would get you most of the way there. Having said that, it might be overkill gunline, given you already have the Glade Guard.

3 hours ago, Seadee said:

What are your opinions of Doomfire Warlocks

I think they're great following the rework, and plan to squeeze a unit of 10 into my list. They have become a real toolbox unit with insane mobility, whats not to love.

If you don't want to use Skink models just use Proxies - If you read a bit further back on this thread you will find Tidings Fae hiding in Bushes with blow pipes :D Awesome idea. Same goes for any order unit - look at the warscroll and think of models you could proxy them with Elven models or combine the kit with an elven one - Wild Riders on Wolves etc. The way you paint your army gives it a theme too  - I converted Witch elves into Wardancers and the colours I used remove any trace of Dark Elf taint :)

Just wondering if anybody has gone up against Daughters of Khaine yet.  I am thinking, when I meet them,  of taking the Forget-me-knot to put on Morathi's head to negate the Iron Heart of Khaine's 3 wound limit and pile in with some WWR.  It's a long shot, but might just work.  The chance to kill her off in one combat phase is just so tempting. :) 

All this talk about what a Wanderer's battle tome could look like, i have to say the fae/faerie aspect won't happen. This is too close to the sylvaneth aesthetic and theme.  Also we've seen how GW has taken the classic fantasy tropes and spun them in wildly new and fresh directions. The nomad/hunter/druidic theme of shapeshifters though, that seems like something they could push further.

14 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Just wondering if anybody has gone up against Daughters of Khaine yet.  I am thinking, when I meet them,  of taking the Forget-me-knot to put on Morathi's head to negate the Iron Heart of Khaine's 3 wound limit and pile in with some WWR.  It's a long shot, but might just work.  The chance to kill her off in one combat phase is just so tempting. :) 

That’s an amazing idea. WWR would eat Morathi for lunch. 

On 3/20/2018 at 2:19 AM, Synidus said:

All this talk about what a Wanderer's battle tome could look like, i have to say the fae/faerie aspect won't happen. This is too close to the sylvaneth aesthetic and theme.  Also we've seen how GW has taken the classic fantasy tropes and spun them in wildly new and fresh directions. The nomad/hunter/druidic theme of shapeshifters though, that seems like something they could push further.

I was thinking they would end up like harlequins in 40k

On 3/22/2018 at 1:35 PM, Seadee said:

I was thinking they would end up like harlequins in 40k

I would absolutely LOVE the idea of a godless-low count model-highly elusive-deadly army like the Harlequins that can be every other Aelf army's b**ch!!!!!!!!!! Something along the same line of The Mistweaver but in a Wanderer fashion. Of course if they catch you in CC and the opponent strikes first you can say bye bye  to your units but you know....

1 hour ago, Frozenbeast said:

I would absolutely LOVE the idea of a godless-low count model-highly elusive-deadly army like the Harlequins that can be every other Aelf army's b**ch!!!!!!!!!! Something along the same line of The Mistweaver but in a Wanderer fashion. Of course if they catch you in CC and the opponent strikes first you can say bye bye  to your units but you know....

Would be my thing too... I'm not going to start 40K but Harleys would be my pick (because of that I got a box of them for shadow war since I didn't have a AoS opponent one evening).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 3:59 PM, Aezeal said:

Would be my thing too... I'm not going to start 40K but Harleys would be my pick (because of that I got a box of them for shadow war since I didn't have a AoS opponent one evening).

OH yes, and speaking of board games, I'd looooove some Wanderers for Shadespire. I think they would fit better the theme then other elves . Althought I can see Deepkin too for it.

Archived