Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

Yeah that's the only positive part of it.  

No one on the FB group has come up with any use of Melt Away that makes the army better however looking at others,.. 

le sigh.

What is not to like: minimize contact with enemies if they charge (get a few point men), then if they charge you can run away and still shoot instead of staying in combat and being hurt bad or runnign and not shooting. Especially for the sisters of the watch with their shots when getting charged it's prettty nice. Ofc you could also charge the unit that was fighting your archers to prevent the re-charge... especially nice for GG.

It's not a game winning mechanic.. but I think it's not bad.

I actually think it's a moce to sell the sisters of the watch: personally (the few games I played at start of AoS) I refused to buy them: I have tons of GG, I have tons of metal waywatchers, some old scouts etc etc. Tons of archers.. and suddenly we get the (VERY EXPENSIVE KIT) of new archers and they get the best rules (they where awesome when playing with a wound based comp). So I just proxied my newer metal WW (the good looking ones) as "brothers of the watch" and used the older slimmer WW as WW. GH1 made sisters quite expensive in points and not clearly better than GG. I think by giving wanderers this rule and maybe a slight points decrease they hope we'll be paying 40 euro for 10 simple and small archers (I think it's a criminally prized set, it should be 30 max or 10 infantry).

It's odd that on GW site they are still called sisters of Avelorn (in the shop) - though with a corrrectly named warscroll.

45 minutes ago, Tidings said:

I think if Melt Away is just something we get as a faction wide ability, it will have some use. I suspect it's a Command Ability or something though, which would be sad, because it will almost never be more useful than something like Lord of the Deepwood Host. 

Is there a Wanderer's facebook group? 

I do think it's an allegiance ability.

I'd like a battallion that doesn't completely dictate the units you need like waystone pathfinders. ( I don't want a spell weaver in that batallion I think, nor wild riders nor 2 units of sisters of the thorn)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

What is not to like:

The thinking that it applies a significant positive to a unit that costs 22 PPM, with a 5+ save, only 10 large (you really going to have a lot of Sisters after a round of combat?).  The effect on Glade Guard is minimal, particularly as it would benefit a large unit whose game effects are diminished after the Arcane Bodkins are spent.  That Hordes have improved and the counter is "oh, your diminished unit can shoot again."  It doesn't stand up well compared to other abilities particularly well.  Those are a few reasons.

It looks to me like an army trait rather than a command ability.  I was also wondering whether the pathfinders battalion might be more viable if you can move  to table edges on any turn rather than just the first, giving you more opportunity to bring the hero-phase shooting into play.  Even more so if there is an artifact which can help keep the Nomad Prince alive for long enough and keep him near your Waywatcher general.  I'm a unit of Wild Riders away, but have been dithering while waiting to see how Wanderers fared in the new Handbook.  Began life with Dark Elves, but since AOS have been branching out, as it were.

Just now, Popisdead said:

The thinking that it applies a significant positive to a unit that costs 22 PPM, with a 5+ save, only 10 large (you really going to have a lot of Sisters after a round of combat?).  The effect on Glade Guard is minimal, particularly as it would benefit a large unit whose game effects are diminished after the Arcane Bodkins are spent.  That Hordes have improved and the counter is "oh, your diminished unit can shoot again."  It doesn't stand up well compared to other abilities particularly well.  Those are a few reasons.

It's a bonus. It's useable and fits with the army theme... Sure it's not a game winner.. and I'd like about every unit wanderers have to be cheaper (the hero's are fine) and that would help way more.. but it's something and combined with maybe an ability that ties into that retreating of the table or a good batallion it's a nice bonus. 

Or: the books is printed, it won't change.. any bonus is better than none :D

PM disappearing and reappearing OFF TABLE EDGES... won't really help with taking objective.. but still.

Our guys are just not doing enough damage.  The best we can dish out are some 3+ 3+ rend -1, which can barely hurt some units.  I have to resort to having executioners to deal some mortal wounds.  Our army certainly lack synergy, the Nomad Prince ability is gd but he die too easily.  The command ability of waywatcher heroes should be normal ability imo.

Hey man.  I am in the same boat as you.  Was druchii for over a decade then I decide to start wood elves in 8th for some challenge (they do not have the 8th ed armybooj yet then).  Turn out I paint too slowly and by the time I start doing, AoS has arrived.  This I switch wood elves to round base and use them as my first AoS army.

On 02/08/2017 at 8:07 PM, awcamawn said:

You should definitely fit all that in your list, should be fun! Too bad wild riders aren't the absolute beasts they are in Total War (or were WHFB, from what I hear). The Glade Lord on Great Stag seems a very good value at it's current 100 points - 7 wounds and 9 melee attacks make him a real beast of an elf. I imagine having him and/or Orion fighting right next to the dragon would put out a terrifying amount of damage before the units in combat with them could even strike back.

I'm not the best painter in the world but I painted a bunch of what I was talking about. Thought I'd share.20170805_221705.jpg.84361abda88e25c558784115186a079b.jpg20170805_220941.jpg.6ba0e1e12ad78e54d3d9cd9f7e6b82c2.jpg20170805_222036.jpg.f28988205eb2e5266564ab488b5756fa.jpg20170805_220848.jpg.1a834e164169ef70fab3edc8da078736.jpg

Very cool! I especially like the mounted spellweaver, the color selection on the wild riders, and the stark black/white on the sisters of twilight. I'm considering where exactly to place the sister on the front of my dragon and I like the 'cinematic' effect of having her balanced way out on the tip of the horn/antler like you've done. If I may, what colors did you use for the wild riders' shields and banner? The contrast of that green/brown came out particularly well. And what did you use for that cool thick foliage on the bases of the dragon, stag, and Orion?

Also, with all this talk of new allegiance based battleline options do you guys think there's a chance that Sisters of the Watch/Wildwood Rangers will drop their 'Waywatcher/Wayfinder must be your general' requirements? Looking through the old GHB it seems these 'battleline if x is your general' requirements were relatively rare, and I don't think any of the new allegiance battleline options we've heard about have mentioned any required general. Or maybe they'll just give us Eternal Guard as Wanderer battleline already.?

And anyone else intrigued by the new vines and bracken sets up for preorder this next weekend? Could have some cool applications for Wanderer players in particular.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah so far our new rule looks next to useless compared to basically everything else in the game. It DOES reinforce a flavor and playstyle that I thought GW had forgotten about, so hopefully they add some more rules that actually shift us in that direction. For example, redeploying constantly is about the only way to avoid being instantly charged and locked in combat by Destruction and Chaos armies, and it would perfectly fit the flavor of the Wood Elves. They used to be described as doing exactly that, though at the time it was Athel Loren helping them move around. 

I'm interested in the vines and bracken! But they look too alien for my Elves. I saw someone else using basically the same thing with oak leaves but I haven't been able to find those. 

I'll post some pics of my Wood Elves/Sylvaneth soon. Yours look great Oppenheimer!

On 8/6/2017 at 10:43 PM, awcamawn said:

Also, with all this talk of new allegiance based battleline options do you guys think there's a chance that Sisters of the Watch/Wildwood Rangers will drop their 'Waywatcher/Wayfinder must be your general' requirements? Looking through the old GHB it seems these 'battleline if x is your general' requirements were relatively rare, and I don't think any of the new allegiance battleline options we've heard about have mentioned any required general. Or maybe they'll just give us Eternal Guard as Wanderer battleline already.?

And anyone else intrigued by the new vines and bracken sets up for preorder this next weekend? Could have some cool applications for Wanderer players in particular.

I actually think that will happen more.  I heard that uh... Swifthawk Agents?  I think? (don't quote me) will be BL if you take a certain general.  I personally want that changed in Beasts of Chaos where Bullgors becomes BL if your general is a Doombull like it was in 6th ed.  Then I could add more flavour and excitement to my army rather than take 3 x 10 Ungors.

It annoys me every time I write a list Eternal Guard aren't BL.  What is GW worried about?  Selling EG kits to players who have 50 Glade Guard already?

The problem is the Nomad Prince is a good general, our best.  A waywatcher general is a good option as -1 to shoot isn't bad and he himself is a good option plus sisters of the watch aren't optimal but they aren't bad.

Yes I am very excited for the vines granted I didn't use up the brass ones from the original basing kit yet,..

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

I actually think that will happen more.  I heard that uh... Swifthawk Agents?  I think? (don't quote me) will be BL if you take a certain general.  I personally want that changed in Beasts of Chaos where Bullgors becomes BL if your general is a Doombull like it was in 6th ed.  Then I could add more flavour and excitement to my army rather than take 3 x 10 Ungors.

It annoys me every time I write a list Eternal Guard aren't BL.  What is GW worried about?  Selling EG kits to players who have 50 Glade Guard already?

The problem is the Nomad Prince is a good general, our best.  A waywatcher general is a good option as -1 to shoot isn't bad and he himself is a good option plus sisters of the watch aren't optimal but they aren't bad.

Yes I am very excited for the vines granted I didn't use up the brass ones from the original basing kit yet,..

Yeah I don't get that about Eternal Guard as well.  Or why the Spireguard is not generic battleline.  (they are not very good IMO)

On 07/08/2017 at 1:43 AM, awcamawn said:

If I may, what colors did you use for the wild riders' shields and banner? The contrast of that green/brown came out particularly well. And what did you use for that cool thick foliage on the bases of the dragon, stag, and Orion?

I used Woodland Scenics: Underbrush Olive Green for the bushes.

I base coated all my Wanderers with The Army Painter: Goblin Green spray which is what is showing through on the flag and shield. I did put a very light wash of Averland Sunset and Moot Green on them too but the majority of the colour you like is just the base coat. The brown is Gorthor brown.

I think the new terrain is interesting but I'm not really sure yet. The only idea I had was that I do have the old Warhammer castle they don't make anymore. Having vines crawling up that might be really nice.

I'm hoping we'll get spells and good artefacts in addition to the somewhat lackluster command trait they previewed.

Thanks for sharing! Will definitely have to check out Woodland Scenics. And using gorthor brown more. Its reddish hue is really pleasing to the eye when paired with that kind of green (something to do with color wheels, and far beyond my novice skills to figure out on my own).

In regards to our somewhat underwhelming previewed allegiance ability I think it's important to remember we don't have the full picture, yet. Most interesting is a image posted by[mention=1155]PraetorDragoon[/mention] in the 'GHB 2017 - Let's Talk Order' thread that indicates Dispossessed will be getting Battle TraitS in the new book, with something called 'Grudgebound' in addition to their previewed 'Stubborn to the End' trait. I am really glad that this image was promptly shared as the Warhammer Community post has since been edited to remove the image; apparently GW tipped more of their hand than they intended by giving proof of multiple Battle Traits for Dispossessed. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I think it's likely that Wanderers will also have multiple traits (probably something to do with the briefly mentioned "capable of disappearing off of table edges then reappearing"). Then there's our unknown artifacts and command traits, which could have some synergy with Melt Away that make it more attractive. Wishful thinking.

0ada9cef19ab3b11ed5a1dde6e9829c5.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was wondering whether the pathfinders battalion might be more viable if you can move to table edges on any turn rather than just the first, giving you more opportunity to bring the hero-phase shooting into play.  Even more so if there is an artifact which can help keep the Nomad Prince alive for long enough and keep him near your Waywatcher general.  I'm a unit of Wild Riders away, but have been dithering while waiting to see how Wanderers fared in the new Handbook.  Began life with Dark Elves, but since AOS have been branching out, as it were.  I can see some fun in having squads of 10 GG popping around the board while the EG cover objectives and some allied hard-hitter to give some muscle.  Hoping to have some other Aelf factions as allies, but probably won't get them all.  Would be nice to get the Shadow Aelves as allies.  After all, we know they're coming so it wouldn't be that great a spoiler.

I thought I would jump on the picture bandwagon after finishing a few models bases tonight.  These are old but I've been switching them up or just finishing them off.

The Lustria High Elf lord counts as my Loremaster.  I like him too much to not use him after all these years.  After Tidings talk about Great Eagle lords I put mine on an old Epic 60mm and the sloppy wood glue and sand treatment turned out pretty good.  The Great Weapon lord is Finecast hence the bent sword O_o.  

Happy painting :)

20706790_10155196180280141_1026954104_n.jpg

20786172_10155196180225141_1434374193_n.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

10 hours ago, Popisdead said:

GW made some extremely weird choices with the High and Wood Aelf battleline units.

I mean, why are Waywatchers even Battleline? It makes no logical sense that something that was pretty rare in Oldhammer, suddenly becomes a core part of an army while you've got stuff like Eternal Guard which were a core part of older Wood Elves non-battleline.

Similar thing with Reavers for the Swifthawk Agents over Spireguard. Doesn't really make a ton of sense that Spireguard aren't battleline while the more mobile more shooty Reavers are.

Guess it was probably the same guy who decided Brettonians should be the only faction (old or compendium) to be given unit increments based on box size rather than more sensible 5's and 10's.

7 hours ago, someone2040 said:

GW made some extremely weird choices with the High and Wood Aelf battleline units.

I mean, why are Waywatchers even Battleline? It makes no logical sense that something that was pretty rare in Oldhammer, suddenly becomes a core part of an army while you've got stuff like Eternal Guard which were a core part of older Wood Elves non-battleline.

Similar thing with Reavers for the Swifthawk Agents over Spireguard. Doesn't really make a ton of sense that Spireguard aren't battleline while the more mobile more shooty Reavers are.

Guess it was probably the same guy who decided Brettonians should be the only faction (old or compendium) to be given unit increments based on box size rather than more sensible 5's and 10's.

Unit sizes based on box size seems logical too me... Agreeing with the rest though.

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Unit sizes based on box size seems logical too me... Agreeing with the rest though.

Yeah it's a good starting point particularly for newer players.  Generally having the box be what the unit is helps tremendously.  There are a few legacy things that break the mold.  Dryads and Glade Guard from an edition where you had 4-wide RnF.  

I wouldn't mind actually 5-man being the norm in Matched play for say High Elf Shades/scouts/whatevertheyarecalled.  

9 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Except it's not that way across the board. Tomb king Skeletons came in unusual numbers but were given 10 as unit size base. Heck, glade guard come in a box of 16.

Basically any plastic kit that was in production at the time of 6th edition comes in multiples of 4's rather than 5's. Some of the kits have been upped to 20 (like Marauders) to avoid this issue, but there are still plenty of reboxed kits that are sold in 4's like Saurus Warriors, Chaos Warriors, Dryads. 

You don't see them requiring a minimum unit size of 12 for example, So why should Brettonian Men-At-Arms have a minimum of 16? Why are Saurus Cavalry bought in 5's, while Brettonian Knights of the Realms and Glade Riders are bough in 8s even though all 3 boxes contain 8 models? Or why should Waywatchers be bought in units of 3 rather than 5? Something that explicitly is illegal because their warscroll mandates they have a minimum unit size of 5.

Which is an important point to make, because the warscrolls themselves don't dictate these odd unit sizes, just the Matched Play rules.

Overall, what frustrates me is just the inconsistency of it. There's no reason that Brettonians and Wood Elves should really be treated any differently than others. I mean, other compendium units like Silver Helms and Skeletal Horsemen are both bought in 5's, so what makes Brettonian and Wood Elf cavalry different?

From the kind responses, here are some old Treemen I worked on long ago that I did new bases for (just wood cut outs the same size as at the time GW was perma-sold out in Canada.  I cut up old Micro art bases and put them on the one newish treeman.  I spent the evening painting the bases and gluing tufts and flowers on.

The weird conversion is the metal LotR Ent and a trebuchet who acts as my Durthu (when I used the 6th ed PDF Durthu in 8th even though he was garbage).  I just liked the idea a Treeman would meld with a trebuchet and claim it back.

I struggle getting as smooth as painting on Forest Spirits/Sylvaneth as the older Trish Morrison sculpts aren't as simple as a cloak.

Happy painting!

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

Archived