Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

On 11/2/2017 at 3:50 PM, Popisdead said:

For real?  my 8 are also autumn theme from 2005.  plus we're both in Canada IIRC.

I'd consider it! I'm working on converting Wild Riders to Reavers, but I would love to get some Glade Riders before they become impossible to find. My old riders are pretty broke. :(

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any one tried out The Living City allegiance in place of the wanderer or plain order? 

With a treelord ancient summoning woods we might be able to play a better teleport objective game they were normally able to. Although relying on a single 4+ to summon is a bit palsy. 

More i play, more I'm realizing that we need 400 points of Stormcasts. Sylvaneth doesn't have units that fits pretty well in there, and most of theme works with Wyldwoods.

In the Stormcast side instead I have noticed some units that seems to fit pretty well with Wanderers.

-Protectors. This unit is not overwhealming in a full Cast list. But I see how it will works perfectly in a Wanderers list. We need body, and mortal wounds (basically), so here we go: 15 wounds with good saves, mortal wounds in CC, AND it gets -1 to hit for any shooting enemy units on them, OR on any Wanderers unit behind them. Wow! This unit seems designed for us! You can screen hunters, gladeguards, sisters of the thorns, sisters of the watch, any leader etc. Basically anything of the Wanderers roster. 

And they cost 200. You can even pull out 10 of them (maybe 2x5) as allies. 30 wounds 4+ saves. Think about Sisters of the Thorns...

-Lord Castellan. Wow, a free mystic shield on a SC unit any turn. It is already good, but when I think it synergized with the SotT spell...it's not a Command Ability, still works, and it is only 100 points.

-Steelheart warband. Ok I got Shadespire so I was curious about these 3 guys and...well they are not bad at all. +1 to save if anyone is charging you (SotT again), And they cost only 100 points, for 6 wounds at ts 4+(3+). And if the opponent is shooting them, well...thanks. I'm a Wanderer, I have A LOT of better, paper-shielded units. I'm gratefull if he will shoot/charge these guys, they are basically a meatshield (100 points, likes 10 Dryads..)/distraction/objective keepers.

-Liberators. Because...Liberators. Always a good choice, nothing to trigger but still 5x100 points. I mean, 2x10 Liberators for Wanderers? Still fine for me.

Lord Castellan, 5 Protectors, 5 Liberators. 400.

Lord Castellan, 10 Liberators, 3 Steelheart. 400.

10x2 Liberators. 400.

2x5 Protectors. 400.

Add 1 Spellweaver and 5 SotT, and have fun! 

PS: of course all of this is for taking the Wanderers Allegiance. You will likely have a pretty hard first line, with some support shooting, and then bounce away with some units when you need. 

What do you think guys? Some one had some experiences with SC allies? I only considered the cheaper units that should bring some body in there (so no Vanguard Hunters, or cavalry etc, nothing for the attack: we already have it). 

On 11/4/2017 at 2:50 AM, Origin said:

Any one tried out The Living City allegiance in place of the wanderer or plain order? 

With a treelord ancient summoning woods we might be able to play a better teleport objective game they were normally able to. Although relying on a single 4+ to summon is a bit palsy. 

I don't see the point. Wyld woods are dangerous for Wanderers so they are more a liability than an aid. The Living city allegiance makes no sense if you ask me. Only sylvaneth can use it without being harmed and why would you give up sylvaneth alleigance for Living city?? It actually put me off buying firestorm altogether. Again nothing decent for the high or wood Elves.

17 hours ago, Cerve said:

More i play, more I'm realizing that we need 400 points of Stormcasts. Sylvaneth doesn't have units that fits pretty well in there, and most of theme works with Wyldwoods.

In the Stormcast side instead I have noticed some units that seems to fit pretty well with Wanderers.

-Protectors. This unit is not overwhealming in a full Cast list. But I see how it will works perfectly in a Wanderers list. We need body, and mortal wounds (basically), so here we go: 15 wounds with good saves, mortal wounds in CC, AND it gets -1 to hit for any shooting enemy units on them, OR on any Wanderers unit behind them. Wow! This unit seems designed for us! You can screen hunters, gladeguards, sisters of the thorns, sisters of the watch, any leader etc. Basically anything of the Wanderers roster. 

And they cost 200. You can even pull out 10 of them (maybe 2x5) as allies. 30 wounds 4+ saves. Think about Sisters of the Thorns...

-Lord Castellan. Wow, a free mystic shield on a SC unit any turn. It is already good, but when I think it synergized with the SotT spell...it's not a Command Ability, still works, and it is only 100 points.

-Steelheart warband. Ok I got Shadespire so I was curious about these 3 guys and...well they are not bad at all. +1 to save if anyone is charging you (SotT again), And they cost only 100 points, for 6 wounds at ts 4+(3+). And if the opponent is shooting them, well...thanks. I'm a Wanderer, I have A LOT of better, paper-shielded units. I'm gratefull if he will shoot/charge these guys, they are basically a meatshield (100 points, likes 10 Dryads..)/distraction/objective keepers.

-Liberators. Because...Liberators. Always a good choice, nothing to trigger but still 5x100 points. I mean, 2x10 Liberators for Wanderers? Still fine for me.

10x2 Liberators. 400.

2x5 Protectors. 400.

PS: of course all of this is for taking the Wanderers Allegiance. You will likely have a pretty hard first line, with some support shooting, and then bounce away with some units when you need. 

What do you think guys? Some one had some experiences with SC allies? I only considered the cheaper units that should bring some body in there (so no Vanguard Hunters, or cavalry etc, nothing for the attack: we already have it). 

Yeah nice rules. As much as i love the SC models I wouldn't use them as their "look" is too strong and it detracts from a wanderer theme army too much for my liking. I would consider sticking some Wanderer Rangers on larger bases and use them as Protectors or Liberators instead of wanderer rangers. Maybe kitbash them with Wanderer and SC bits as a project.  At least I get to use my Ranger models :) I already use them with executioner or Black guard warscrolls as I find bland Order much better than the wanderer allegiance rules.

On 10-11-2017 at 8:41 AM, Cerve said:

10x2 Liberators. 400.

2x5 Protectors. 400.

Seems like SC should just take sisters and forget about the rest of the wanderers.

8 hours ago, WABBIT said:

I don't see the point. Wyld woods are dangerous for Wanderers so they are more a liability than an aid. The Living city allegiance makes no sense if you ask me. Only sylvaneth can use it without being harmed and why would you give up sylvaneth alleigance for Living city?? It actually put me off buying firestorm altogether. Again nothing decent for the high or wood Elves.

Not sure why you'd do it. I was thinking about living city as an option for wanders/mixed order for the hurricanum.. but... the hurricanum is not in there.. so it'll have to be hammerhall.

Greywater would be an option without sylvaneth.. but the allegiance ability ... doesnt'work on the hurricanum.. so kinda completely useless.

20 hours ago, WABBIT said:

Yeah nice rules. As much as i love the SC models I wouldn't use them as their "look" is too strong and it detracts from a wanderer theme army too much for my liking. I would consider sticking some Wanderer Rangers on larger bases and use them as Protectors or Liberators instead of wanderer rangers. Maybe kitbash them with Wanderer and SC bits as a project.  At least I get to use my Ranger models :) I already use them with executioner or Black guard warscrolls as I find bland Order much better than the wanderer allegiance rules.

I was considering to modify them with some grass, branch, and paint them as old armours "possessed by branches", something like that.

12 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Seems like SC should just take sisters and forget about the rest of the wanderers.

What? It's quite the opposite: SC doesn't really need Protectors, but they seems amazing for Wanderers. 

SC doesn't really need of Wanderers, nor Sisters imho.

1 hour ago, Cerve said:

What? It's quite the opposite: SC doesn't really need Protectors, but they seems amazing for Wanderers. 

SC doesn't really need of Wanderers, nor Sisters imho.

You mention a few of their abilities synergizing with the sisters though :D

1 hour ago, Cerve said:

I was considering to modify them with some grass, branch, and paint them as old armours "possessed by branches", something like that.

Yeah nice idea @Cerve, that way we can sort of sneak Dryad and Treekin models or kitbashed Dryad/Stormcast/Ranger kits back into the wood elf/wanderer army. That's it I will re-purpose my treekin as protectors, maybe stick on some Kurnoth hunter scythes as the protector glaives. I have 18 from my old wood elf army no longer in use. Hell I can even use my Scythe Hunters if I am feeling too lazy to kitbash.

14 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

Yeah nice idea @Cerve, that way we can sort of sneak Dryad and Treekin models or kitbashed Dryad/Stormcast/Ranger kits back into the wood elf/wanderer army. That's it I will re-purpose my treekin as protectors, maybe stick on some Kurnoth hunter scythes as the protector glaives. I have 18 from my old wood elf army no longer in use. Hell I can even use my Scythe Hunters if I am feeling too lazy to kitbash.

How about revenants heads and arms? Especially if you  build spites the  left over tree revs heads and arms with we pons might be an option. 

Or if tree-rev heads are too subtle dryad heads and maybe a few of their back branches .

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

You mention a few of their abilities synergizing with the sisters though :D

Ahah ye I know, but overall I don't think SCs  need us. We just need some  good armoured front line, and I saw those Protectors....which are pretty good as allies (and kinda useless in a full SC list). The Castellan is just a good add in, paired with Sisters :P

......and because I don't wanna buy 50 more Eternal Guards :-/

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:41 AM, Cerve said:

10x2 Liberators. 400.

2x5 Protectors. 400.

The vanguard palladors might be a good pairing as well.  3 in a unit gives you a 15 wound unit, with a base movement of 12", plus their ride the wind ability so they can keep up with any teleporting units.  The gryph charger and the prime can dish out mortal wounds and a mystical shield would give them a 3+ save. 

On 11/15/2017 at 5:36 AM, darkspear said:

Some old metal eternal guard completed.  I bought them from 3 separate owners and repainted them.

Very nice man! I also use the old models. I much prefer their design, especially the helmets, to the new ones. 

On 11/15/2017 at 10:36 AM, darkspear said:

Some old metal eternal guard completed.  I bought them from 3 separate owners and repainted them.

Is that an intruder behind the champion? :P

Great models (way nicer than the current ones) and very well painted!

Hey, all. It's been a while since I've posted. I finally got around to finishing my Glade Lord on Great Stag (proxying in a Thunder Wolf) conversation. It's not as spectacular as some of the amazing conversions I've seen people do, but I'm fairly proud of it. 

IMG_20171125_154328.jpg.9fa8d17a903bbe36467d2a08f661e659.jpgIMG_20171125_154726.jpg.0835915acb631d317a28089e4c0a5e8c.jpgIMG_20171125_154207.jpg.26d6db6640de422521897c7888023dc0.jpg

IMG_20171125_180347.jpg.d5ed7a37f41b868de65cb56afccf0374.jpgIMG_20171125_180412.jpg.2594f9c1dbb4d5807c3bc91037b89cea.jpg

Archived