How to stay on track and what keeps you interested in your army

Rob P

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my thoughts on collecting models and armies for various game systems:

The wargamer collector and hobbyist theme song

Seriously though, you just have to power through it one way or another.  When I first started into the hobby 7 years ago, back in 5th edition 40K, I would pick up a Battleforce for each different army, looking to try everything out and paint everything up.  Until I found the army that really clicked with me, which in my case was a custom-color scheme Space Wolf army.  I found inspiration in a PC game for the colors, and started painting them, and I managed to stick with them longer than any other army.

Nowadays, what with all the new models and the old models for Age of Sigmar all having some relevance and use, I can collect them without worrying too much about power creep, especially in a non-competitive gaming scene.  Currently, I have a decent sized Ironjawz force built and ready to paint, but I am wondering if I want to make a slight jump into another army (or two) based on some neat army ideas I have in mind: an all Piggy army of Orruks cavalry and chariots, or a combined Duardin/Human/Elf mortal army that has some homebrewed fluff built into it and my friend's army.

My biggest issue is that I don't have the money or time to do everything like I used to.  Back in the day, I could an average of one model painted up to a high-tabletop standard a day.  Nowadays, I'm lucky to even see my models before going to bed.  Between having a grown-up job, a new family starting up, my house getting remodeled and reorganized, and spending my hobby time on putting together campaign stuff for my local AoS group, it's all just a far off dream until things start to settle down (and I can afford it).

So to those of you able to get so much painting or gaming time in, I applaud you, and I am happy for you.  Keep it up while you can, and get enough done to make up for me! :)

2 hours ago, opuswild said:

But I think it's kind of rude to poop on someone else's parade if they prefer to paint to a tabletop standard and be done with it.

Good thing that's not what I am doing, then.

Painting to a tabletop standard is great. Heck, I do it it for some stuff too.

The key is "painting."

30 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

The key is "painting."

And how is painting base colours and using dip / one colour shading not painting?

45 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

The key is "painting."

You better not spray your base coats then! That's not "painting" either.

There's little difference in technique between dipping and shading most / all of a model with the same Citadel Wash.

As to answer the initial question, switch things up! Paint, convert, build, sculpt, write fiction or home rules etc. If you are a person that enjoys the process far more than the finished result, rotate around to what currently inspires you. Look at Age of Sigmar illustrations, see what other hobbyists are doing. 

Thanks for all the tips. Even the ones that said 'grow up and learn to have some self control!' :)

I've already got the Khorne/Sigmar starter set (90% painted).  I've been tempted by Death and Destruction, but i'm going to finish painting the starter set and then buy 2 boxes of Spire of Dawn. This will allow me to paint different things whilst keeping to an Order vs Chaos setup. I've then got the option to expand 4+ different factions within 2 allegiences.

Archived