How to stay on track and what keeps you interested in your army

Rob P

I'm pretty much a newbit to the hobby and game despite having been interested in Warhammer since 2nd edition 40k.

Over the last 20 years or so i've had my head turned by nearly every army. I've painted about 10% of what i've bought in that time and haven't played a game since second, but i'm really interested in hobby (having found out that that painting is fun, not stressful). I'm also looking to get into AoS games.

However, I still suffer from having my head turned by every bloody army. I bought the starter set with the idea of doing Khorne Bloudbound. I've still not painted all of the heroes and i'm part way through the Blood Warriors and I bought it at the end of September! (in my defence I have done the Stormcast and the other Khorne bits from the set and i've learnt a lot of hobby along the way). I'm now looking at Ironjawz, but literally two podcasts later and i'm thinking ' oh, x would be fun to do').

So how do you guys (those who are weak willed like me) stay on task? What motivates you to stick with project A rather than straying to project B, C then D - before project A has even taken off?

One thing that people have said in the past is, go with the army you like the look of or like the rules of, but i'm not playing games at the moment (but would like to once i've got some painted stuff together) and the new lines hardly have any duds visually. In 8th I'd be like 'I like the look of Dark Elves except for the core', whilst' taking the Ironjawz, for example, there are no dud looking models for me.

Help!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I returned to the hobby last year after a long break (15 years). I am exactly like you and find the AoS is great for this problem.

What I do and has mostly been working is accept that this is going to happen. I buy only small forces at a time (start collecting box or a couple of units) and paint that before buying something else.

Because small armies work and can be combined with other armies for bigger games, it's ok that I shift around a lot. I don't burn out because I have a mound of plastic to paint and I know I can get the new thing that caught my eye right after finishing just a couple units.

This has worked out great in general (I do have a couple units I didn't finish). I have skipped a few things I would have bought because I changed my mind three times while painting the current units. Also, the stuff you really like, you will naturally keep coming back to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rewards is my way, especially with my death army. painting a unit of 20 skels then awarding myself with a character conversion or fun painting project, to change the pace. It alieviates the pain of mass painting units (unless you like that).

With new models, as a student. i know that i can never afford it so, it does not even matter :D. Try painting up a small army and play several games with it and build up from there with the keyword system, you can constantly add the units you like.

Iv never had a problem painting but used to hop from project to project. Sometimes on a daily basis. Lol  But I have a few tips. 

1. deadlines. If you have a deadline tournament work well for me. But could be anything or just a date plucked out of thin air. 

2. Plan out your painting time. I will paint for an hour a day is a great one for me. It's more about sitting down than the time. An plan it out realistically. I will paint for four hours on a Sunday afternoon ect. Then stick to it for a month then look back an see how much you got done.

3 paint/hobby nights with a mate. For a while me an a mate met up for couple beers a take away an a paint session. Can't be asked you will have no choice when ya mate turns up with his brush An paints. 

4 bite size chunks. Don't give your self unachievable targets. If you say I want a 2k army in 12 months. That means every 3 months you need to paint 500 points. 

5 start with dessert. Painted models motivate painting. So paint what you really like leave it on the shelf An look at it. The more you paint the more you will paint

6 if you can keep a TIDY permanent hobby area. 

7 have no unpainted models. A friend of mine will paint a unit when that's painted he will buy his next rinse An repeat. I hate him. But packing away unpainted stuff helps. A mountain of grey unpainted models is the biggest demotivator for me an a lot of people imho. 

8 only play with painted models. People enter into an arms race An the meta changes. As soon as that new cheese is out dated you'll buy something else. It'll go back on the shelf. If it's unpainted it'll never get painted An it will just add to the pile of un painted models for you to look at. 

what changed me was I sold everything that was unpainted got rid of all the bits boxes Ect.

An now I take each army as a single project. I don't have ONE army. I'm gonna paint this 2k list then I'll paint another army. 

Trush me once you get your first 2k army done it will be a major mile stone. An it gets easier. 

Hooe me that helps bit of a long post but it's something close to hart.

good luck

People enjoy different parts of the journey, some like traveling it and working towards the goal while others just want to set back and take it all in. :D

I try to balance the paint-load by taking small groups and painting their parts by two or three colors.

Today I paint red and blue? I bring out the brets. Green and yellow? My Wanderers are up. Silver? Stormcast and anyone who needs a weapon coating.

That's my process, anyway.

It's a challenge for most people in the hobby!  Many long time players will have a cupboard with a venerable mountain of unpainted models.

There are lots of way to motivate to keep painting, but as you're finding keeping disciplined and focused on one project is probably as much of a challenge :)

I tend to tackle it in a few ways.  Firstly I try to only have one "active" painting project.  For me currently I've got a load of Skullreapers and a couple of Exalted Deathbringers.  They're all being painted in the same way so I'm doing them all together.  I may also have one active "assembly" project (Ad Mech for me currently).  This gives me a bit of variety and if I really am not in the mood to do any painting means I can grab my assembly project instead.

I'm lucky in that deadlines help me keep focused.  I know I've a 2k tournament the beginning of June and have planned a rough painting schedule (printed out a calendar and scribbled on it).  My Skullreapers need to be finished by the end of this month and then I've another 200 points to paint up in May.  I know that whatever else comes along (e.g. Kharadron), I can't deviate from my current painting schedule.  If I do then I'll be attending with only part of an army.  If you've any friends locally who play AoS I'd be tempted to arrange a game with them - get a date in the diary and don't take any models that aren't finished, this can give you the proverbial kick to keep going on one army.

One thing I would say though, is that if you're not enjoying a unit/model then don't force yourself to do it.  Put it away in a cupboard and come back to it at some point in the future.  However you do need to be really disciplined that the next unit/model you get finished else you'll be on the slippery slope of loosing your mojo!  I sympathise with the Blood Warriors too, they've a huge amount of detail on each model (I've done 25 so far), so can understand why they've become a bit soul sucking.

You gotta realise that you're a big boy now. You have to control yourself, make decisions and stick to them.

I was the same as you when I was a kid. I'm collecting Skaven now, which after all these years has been the army I've stuck to the longest (6months). Better models have come out since I started collecting Skaven, but that irrelevant because I'm collecting Skaven now.

Play an audiobook, sit down, and paint. This time is golden.

I buy a unit, then paint it. Give myself a deadline that's realistic. When that's finished, move onto the next thing I have.

A lot of players from my local gaming group have the same problem. I think they lack commitment and discipline. Once that first unit is done, treat yourself with a nice model to paint. Then go back to another big unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it's your thing I'd recommend buying a ticket for a tournament.

You're locked in, the countdown begins, and you have to start preparing. This means building your army, getting some paint on there and getting some practice. As others have indicated, you'd be surprised how much you can do when a deadline is looming..

If you've got a club or just a few mates, maybe even consider something like a slow-grow or a ladder? Good encouragement to begin and stick to a force.

I would recommend starting one army in each of the Grand Alliances, Order, Chaos, Destruction and Death. That way, no matter what you buy or work on, it's always for one of your four "core" armies.

afd.jpg_large

You can't get sidetracked if you collect the entire range ;) 

I have always operated on the rule that I will never buy any new models until I have painted the last new models I bought. I've luckily been operating this since I started collecting, and have I think 10 unpainted temple guard somewhere but otherwise all my models are painted. 

I think if you sort your collection into "going to paint" and "going into storage", and get on top of the situation, you'll find it much easier to stay on top of it than if you feel like you have a huge backlog.

1 hour ago, Fungrim said:

If it's your thing I'd recommend buying a ticket for a tournament.

This is good advice.

At our club there were a lot of guys who hadn't attended events an consequentially did not have a need to finish their armies. Over the last year a number of these gamers have signed up for events and subsequently gone on to complete armies, using the tournament date as a hard deadline.

If you're not interested in attending a tournament, then finding a local group of gamers and signing up for some kind of escalation league or something where you have to paint an army incrementally over a period of time may help.

Where you are only just looking at playing the game, why not just play some games with a variety of models. You may find this helps you to establish which you'd like to prioritise. You may decide to reward a particularly valiant unit's in-game heroics with a paintjob!

I guess it all depends on what you want from your hobby. Heaping pressure on yourself may not be the way to go, but that said there is undeniably a really rewarding feeling to be had from finishing an army. On the flipside, there's absolutely nothing wrong with just jumping from project to project as and when the mood takes you. AoS is great for that!

Most importantly; have fun!

Chris 

I only returned to to the hobby last year, and like many I only get so much time to model. I am also very slow so a unit or hero will take me 2-4 weeks. 

My major rule is don't have to much grey plastic built. I try to build one unit and one hero at a time so if I get stuck on one I can move to the other without just walking away and wasting a session. I have an almost completely painted 2k Sylvaneth army with a good 700pts unbuilt, and hiding in a cupboard so I can't see it.

Also I have just signed up for a tourney in July so need to have it done for then.

Another booster for me is that I am planning a second army of Nurgle, and will spend a few months researching my colours etc. But as I get more and more into it it is making me get on with my Sylvaneth. 

Simon

Wow, the post count went up quick.

Thanks for the tips so far. I haven't been able to read all of them yet (on lunch break) but will read the later ones later today.

I am and have been adopting the 'don't buy any more until i've painted what i've got', but that has just caused my painting to grind to a halt. Once i've finished the Blood bound I think i'll feel better.

That could be part of the problem to be honest. Knowing that i'm on this project and not having to set a project in waiting makes it very easy to change my mind easily.

Also I have the problem of 'special snowflake syndrome'. I don't want flavour of the month but I don't want trash. I like one army because the rules sound cool and another because of the aesthetics and another because of the lore and then another because something else comes out.

I do like the idea of just collecting them all - may one starting collecting box from each faction to at least try the rules etc and maybe i'll be drawn to wards one in particular.

I get spurts of inspiration, so I have lots of different projects going at once. I don't find that bothers me at all, instead it's a relief as I can just work on whatever. I have some small plastic stacking tubs I keep these projects in, so they are self contained and easy to swap out. 

My main motivator is Events/Tournaments/Contests. You can find tons of painting and modeling contests online to help out. I also paint really fast, I painted an entire 2500 Skaven Army in 8th Edition WFB for a tournament in about 3 weeks and won best painted :) Deadlines will not only motivate, but will help you learn to become faster/better.

Try painting motivation threads, where you declare a certain amount of stuff you will paint in a month. People love these. They aren't for me personally, I find myself painting/working on anything but what I said I would until...like my lunch break the day of :)

6 hours ago, Ratamaplata said:

Self control and dedication comes from within. I honestly find it hard to understand people who post photos of endless boxes of unopened models. I think some people almost get a high off buying things... I can't comprehend it myself.

When I was in their sales dept, it was a point of emphasis that "the hobby" is collecting, modelling,  painting, and playing. 

Yes,  some folks really do enjoy the simple act of accumulating/ buying models.

As to the topic - lots of great ideas here.  Some I don't follow (not buying new stuff until all is painted? Bah! Everyone knows you cannot die while still have unpainted models!), but it's all good stuff.

For me,  the secrets are deadlines,  music, and booze. Have a target date, crank the tunes, get slippery, and watch those models come to life! 

Listening to podcasts and watching Warhammer related stuff on YouTube really helps too. Sometimes I look up and it's 4AM, and I know my 6 year old is going to be awake in 2 hours. I don't get much sleep :)

Yeah audiobooks are key for me. Assembly line your models, whether you glue everything together first or paint piece by piece. I've taken to doing 10 or so at a time, and I go colour by colour, and in addition to those 10 I paint a hero, if I have one to paint.

But if you can't decide on one army, at least decide on one faction. You'll be able to have small warbands within each if that'll make you happy!

Ok from a guy that got hobby burned quite a bit, here's what kind of magic worked for me. First things first, what i mostly do in a new army list is to complete every single base with a theme that i have worked in mind and then glueing the models on top, primed. That way i can play with my list at least primed and with a nice basing work. That combination of playing + paint little by little the army list gives me the motive to continue until my army list is full painted.

I have sleep problem, so I basically sleep 1-2 hours a day, and every 1_2 weeks I spend an entire day sleeping. When you are awake 22-23 hours a day, you can be surprised of all the things you have time to do! 

I cant paint listenig to anything. But what most inspire me its to read books of the faction im painting! Even an old army book. Just some pages or a chapter of a novel before a paint sesion, and normally that motivated me ! 

If you're like me, you're already in too deep for professional help.  Best to just remember that he who dies with the most unpainted models wins.

Or... you could try to tackle your backlog and motivate yourself simultaneously.

I am currently working on the Shadows Over Hammerhal box, a Tzeentch army, some reinforcements in the form of Pallador for my Stormcast, a Death Guard army for a league I'm in, and an Iron Warriors army for the same league (yeah... I took on 2 armies for it... wanna fight about it?).  Sitting nearby, but not active right now are several Batman crews, a survivor warband for a d20 Zombie skirmish game I have, most of my Dreadfleet ships (unlike most, I adore that game), and about 40,000 points of unpainted minis across multiple systems.

I stay focused through the use of a kanban board.  There are many free ones available online.  Kanban boards are also easy to set up with post it notes and a dry erase board.

The general concept is that you lay out your minis on the post its (I used a different color for each sub group - Order is Red, Batman Crew is a Blue, Riddler Crew is green, Death Guard are other green, for example).  Then you make sections on your board for hobby steps.  Mine is divided into To Purchase, to Build, to Clean, to Base, to Prime, to Paint, Painting, Rebasing, Banked, and Completed.  Then, you sort all your post its to whatever column they fit under and get to work.  As you complete a step, you move that model's or unit's card across the board until it hits the Completed column.  

The staying focused comes with you add stipulations to yourself.  I've found that I can effectively paint 5 units simultaneously.  So I put a big note on the Painting column that reads "FIVE ONLY."  I know I can't have more than 5 cards there, so no matter how much I want to paint something else... I need to finish something in order to squeeze it in.  I also attach dates to my Painting column cards.  If a model sits in that column for over a month, I know something is wrong and I need to address it.

Focus also comes from reward.  You may have noticed the column named "Banked."  That is my reward column.  When I miniature is Painted, I moved the card there.  Once I have 10 models in that column, I am allowed to purchase one miniature.  So if I want a box of 10 minis, I need 100 minis on the Banked column.  Once I make the purchase, I move those 100 minis to Completed so I don't give myself credit for them twice.  I picked 10 because I have a MASSIVE backlog.  Maybe for you, the number is 1, or 2, or 5, or 30.  I am held accountable by my dear wife, whom I have asked to help me maintain focus.  If I come home with a model or one shows up in the mail, she's checking the board for my 10:1 ratio.  If she doesn't see the appropriate number in the Banked column, she takes the new model away from me and penalizes me by 5 (meaning on a box of 5 models, she won't hand it over until I show her the original 50 plus 25... 5 more for each model in the box).

You can also help hone your focus with painting times.  I can get everything I need to get done every morning finished if I wake up at 6:30.  So I set my alarm for both 6:00 and 6:30 every morning.  Every morning at 6, I get up and do "odds and ends."  This includes, sanding bases, cleaning models, applying large washes, priming, etc... basically, the things that would interfere with actually painting.  Then, when my alarm goes off at 6:30, I go get ready for my day.

Every evening, I set an alarm for 10 and 11.  My wife is the opposite of me, schedule wise.  She prefers to do her daily routine at night - and it allows takes her about an hour.  So at 10, she heads off to do her thing, and I head to the painting table.  When the alarm rings at 11, I stop and get ready for bed.  I get something done every single day - but I don't do marathon sessions that might burn me out for the next day.

Of course, I have the luxury of having a small child and a job with steady daytime hours.  This pretty much guarantees that I have to be home most nights, and I can set myself to a schedule.  Some of you whippersnappers are out there chasing girls and listening to your rock and rolls and your Justin Beibers and whatever else it is you kids these days do... so a set schedule may not be very exciting to you.  But if you get your projects organized and work on them consistently, they will get done.

Any hobby that requires time also requires discipline. Sadly that's easier said than done, but the following habits have really helped me:

1. Break it into small chunks.

The battle company challenge for 40k is a great example of this. A fully painted space marine battle company is something most hobbyists can never imagine accomplishing. When you break it down though, really its just ten marines a month for ten months, plus another two months for the command squad, dread and maybe some transports. Voila, a full company in one year! The monthly painting contract thread on here is great for that.

2. Form micro-minimum habits.

Most people set themselves goals which are far too difficult to stick to, so once they miss a day or two they quickly lose momentum and give up. A colleague of mine who now runs marathons started out by making sure that every day he put on his running kit and stepped outside the front door, no excuses. Even if he just went straight back in he was still sustaining the habit, and most days he got out for a decent run. You can do the same with painting; just get sat down at your table and get one colour on one mini a day as an absolute minimum. Most days you'll then find that you do more.

3. Be honest with yourself.

Most hobbyists have a pile of half assembled minis from old projects that never got finished. I found it helped to take a full inventory and then prioritise each item on my to do pile. I then looked at how long it would take me to get round to painting every item on that list assuming I never bought another model. Anything I didn't honestly think I would finish went on ebay.

4. (Selectively) lower your standards.

I always tried to paint every single mini I had to my best standard. It meant I never finished a project and to be honest, by the time I got to a fieldable army my early stuff looked sub-par anyway. There are some minis which you want to make a labour of love and others which just want to be tabletop standard. I'm currently working on a job lot of Spire of Dawn clanrats I picked up off of some aelf players. I sprayed them brown, picked out the eyes, teeth, weapons and cloth then gave the whole thing a wash of Agrax. It's a million miles from my best work but with 240 painted clanrats on the field it has an awesome effect all of its own. Anything you can do to speed up getting through the backlog will help, which brings me to my next point.

5. Use tools and tricks to speed up your painting.

A cheap airbrush and compressor will set you back about $80 online and speed up your painting no end. When you consider the price of a box of models it's a no brainer. Likewise, washes, dips and techniques like zenethal highlighting will really boost your output. Most tools cost next to nothing and techniques can be learned for free off youtube or chatting to other hobbyists. I'm currently learning another language, so I combined my basecoating and other low attention hobby tasks with listening to a foreign language podcast to get double value for my time.

6. Track your progress.

It may seem like you're never getting through that backlog, but if you keep a tracker of the number of models you finish each year with these methods you'll be very pleasantly surprised. Keep track of what you buy as well and use any new purchases as motivation to improve your bought:painted ratio. Set yourself a goal like painting twice as much as you buy.

21 minutes ago, AGPO said:

4. (Selectively) lower your standards.

I always tried to paint every single mini I had to my best standard. It meant I never finished a project and to be honest, by the time I got to a fieldable army my early stuff looked sub-par anyway. There are some minis which you want to make a labour of love and others which just want to be tabletop standard. I'm currently working on a job lot of Spire of Dawn clanrats I picked up off of some aelf players. I sprayed them brown, picked out the eyes, teeth, weapons and cloth then gave the whole thing a wash of Agrax. It's a million miles from my best work but with 240 painted clanrats on the field it has an awesome effect all of its own. Anything you can do to speed up getting through the backlog will help, which brings me to my next point.

I have had to do this. Not every surface is getting 3 - 4 layers of colours anymore.

I absolutely feel your pain, to an extent. I love building and painting, but I also always can't wait to get onto the next project. When I'm collecting my current army, my mind constantly wanders to conversions I could make that would look great and new units I could add that would gel well with the fluff. Simultaneously, I've got this bug in the back of my head that demands that I get a little something from each grand alliance. But then a new release comes out, and I want to get me some of that! And oh, if I collected a little more of this faction, it'd really plug the holes in my current allianced up factions. And man I really need to get me a piece of the Blood Bowl action and a 40K army sure sounds good and so on and so forth forever ad nauseum.

My solution to this is not to limit my daydreaming about future plans (this is next to impossible for someone with such a bad case of gamer ADD), but instead to build to do lists, and to prioritize and re-prioritize them as my mind chops and changes, but never actually pull the trigger. This last part is key. You simply need to be disciplined. Finish what you've got started right now and at most have the next thing ready to start when you finish, so you're never left waiting for something to arrive. Prioritise your lists around reaching minimal viable goals (500pts Khorne painted to tabletop standard, then 1000pts of Khorne OR 500pts of Death, and so on), and order those based on what's the most important to you right now. But when you start a minimum viable goal, you must complete it before moving on. Don't just paint a hero or a unit in an army you'll never field - that's a waste of time, but it's a waste you could repurpose if you just finished a 500pts chunk or so.

500pts is not a difficult task to accomplish if you have any time for the hobby, at all. Sometimes it might not work out the most economical to buy things in that order, but you'll save a fortune in unbuilt plastic sprues you never get around to anyway. Picking up the Age of Sigmar starter set was probably my biggest, most indimidating lot to finish in a single go, and I have no plans to pick up anything in such a volume again. But when I finished that, I wanted to expand botharmies to 2000pts, so I built my army lists to aim toward, and using the piecses in the 2000pts lists, I figured out how I'd built a 1000pts, 1500pts and 2000pts list of each. Then I'd build and paint what I needed to make a 1000pts of each, then a 1500pts of each, and so on. Right now, I'm looking at my last 500pts of Stormcast to finish, and I've never been in danger of serious burn out. I could stop if I really wanted even now and start something new and shiny and I'd have two armies worth 2000pts and 1500pts respectively, but ultimately my priority is to have two lists that could play against each other - but even if I did stop, the important thing is to finish something, so whatever I moved onto, I'd want to bite off a 500pts chunk or a single Blood Bowl Team or a single Shadow War Armageddon warband or something, anything really as long as it's achievable in the short term, and I can play something with them.

I'm rambling and I'm in danger of repeating myself now. My advice in a nutshell to you in the following:

1. Make a list of what you want to build and play. Do it now. Figure out what's important to you, what you like and what you want to play first. The list can get long. That's okay. The order can change. That's okay too. You can keep thinking about it, and you can keep changing the order and priority as the flavour of the month hits you - it's fine, it's just a list. But do not buy anything on the list yet.
  2. Finish a playable portion of what's in front of you. This is the most important. If the Bloodbound is what you want, then paint the Mighty Lord, the Bloodsecrator, the Bloodreavers and the Blood Warriors. That's 500pts of playable Bloodbound. Cool. Focus on these one complete minimum unit at a time. You don't need to paint all of the Bloodreavers in one sitting, though. I know 20 Bloodreavers can be a pain. I know I definitely said to myself 'never again' when I finished mine - which were painted to tabletop at best. But when it's done, it's done, and they'll look great on the table! Try and do units first. Do 10 Bloodreavers, 5 Blood Warriors, a hero, 10 Bloodreavers, then a hero. Congratulations, you've got a finished warband! If you want to, you can push on and finish the whole set, but if you don't, it's fine! Stick the rest in a drawer. You might come back to them, you might not, but the 500pts is complete.
  3. BUY MORE STUFF! When you're just about finished with your current minimum viable objective, buy the first thing of your next bunch of stuff! Enjoy that sweet, capitalistic endorphin rush - you've earned it! Now, you're getting happiness from three sources - the thrill of buyin' stuff, the thrill of seeing your completed models looking finished and pretty and ready for the tabletop, and the thrill of working on your next chunk of stuff! Pick the single most important thing to you at this time from your prioritised list and start working on it. You can start as small as you like, but try not to exceed a minimum target here. You might know that you plan to collect 1000pts of Ironjawz next, but you don't know that's not going to change one unit of Ardboyz in, so try and aim for something small first - a 500pts army. Start Collecting! boxes are a good kinda size for something to give a bit of variation without going over the top. You might collect 500pts of Ironjawz and realise that you can't live without some Kharadron Overlords, but as long as you follow this protocol and finish the 500pts of Ironjawz, you'll at least have something to show for it first. There's no shame in owning seven different 500pts armies in Age of Sigmar, but there's no point in having 2500pts of one army in a drawer half-built. So buy your 500pts introduction to a new faction, or buy your next 500pts of Bloodbound, and then...
  4. Start all over again! Prioritise your wishlist. You might find after starting 500pts of Ironjawz that you, having finished 500pts of Chaos and Destruction, want to finish 500pts of your Stormcast next. And then a 500pts Death army after. Or maybe an all new Order force. Or who cares, it doesn't matter, as long as you start another sprint of 500pts/minimum viable new force/force upgrade and as long as you finish it before starting the next, you're winning! Don't beat yourself up if you're not interested in finishing the rest of your Bloodbound models, or your starter set Stormcast at the moment. If you're really sure you don't want to go any further with them, you can sell off any excess you have. If you'd like to, but you want to make some other army first? That's fine too! Stick it in your prioritised to do list. As long as from here onwards you're only buying in small increments and you're finishing what you started, you can forget about them in good conscience as long as you're not growing and perpetuating the problem.

Hobbying should straight up never be a chore. It's a hobby. It's fun and relaxing. If you don't care about gaming but want to collect a bunch of cool minis? That's fine. Do that. Buy mismatched units that are cool and build them for fun. If you want to play games, then start small and always finish what you start. You can work this retroactively like I explained, and it's a great model for moving forward. Reward yourself with games with what you finish and begin one new project at a time. Too many things in parallel get daunting, but you don't need to work on projectts in increments of 2000pts armies!

Archived