If you go out in the woods today... An 8112 PLOG

Mirage8112

Hi party people! 

So, I've read these things for years and always appreciated the ideas they gave me. So i thought I would set one up myself and detail the progress I'm making on my AoS army(s). Firstly, just a little background on myself.

I'm actually a classically trained figure painter. I've been painting professionally for about 15 years off and on (though more off than on since becoming a father 3 years ago.) I originally got into warhammer as an alternative to playing online MMORPG's about ten years ago, and since I specialize in miniature paintings, I figured painting miniature soldiers would be an easy transition. 

I currently have an 8th edition Warriors of Chaos army (my first army) a 8th ed Wood elf army as well as an AoS Sylvaneth and am currently starting A Disciples of Tzeentch army (although that army is still more in the planning stages). This PLOG will probably heavily feature my Sylvaneth army, since it's my first real dedicated AoS army in progress. There will probably be some Tzeentch stuff thrown in as well, to give myself a break from the trees, and who know where it will lead (I'm as excited to see that as you are).

So i'll start by showing what currently finished and what's in progress. If you want receipts, thoughts or anything just ask. I'm always here to help. 

Happy painting

-Frank   

Edited by Mirage8112
  • Like 2

So,

My Sylvaneth is actually my first "dedicated" AoS army, originally pulled from my 8th edition Wood Elf army. After a few proxy games, I opted to scratch the original paint scheme and go with something "outlandish." I've always liked the Japanese Cherry blossom scheme and used that as my jumping off point, but it sort of morphed into more of a "rose" color scheme. As such I'm calling this "The Wargrove of the Blackthorn Rose." It's a cool scheme, and instead of going with the usual "dark center light edges" it reverses it and goes the other way, with parts getting darker the further they get from the body of the model. 

The base is a whitish pink that transitions to a dark rose and then to Black at the tips. Electric blue is serving as a spot color with the opportunity for some use of OSL. Nothing too crazy. 

IMG_1145.JPG.8d6a1b8c4e241db691d1db2254d07caf.JPG  

IMG_1146.JPG.a4972877870c3acabb620aaf25255b20.JPG

The forests will be as follows:

IMG_1143.jpg.387bbc5b2b2a43ed242eebba4dbff17d.jpg

With a Branchwytch chilling on a blue rock:

IMG_1144.JPG.a488d52123ec3ebe72f6dfb9d3eddccd.JPG

As you can see, the bases will get the same treatment as the floor of the wyldwood forests. In case you were wondering, the leaves are birch seed pods. They make banging maple leaves. 

I have more painted, but no pictures. Stay tuned! More to follow.

• Like 29
  • LOVE IT! 1

Next up, Tree-Revenants!

I went back and forth a few times with this color scheme.

Occasionally when I pick a general color scheme to work across an army, I'm not entirely sure how everything will "fit". I originally tried blue skin with some OSL much like the weapons, but I found it was too distracting, and didn't read well from a distance. I wasn't particularly keen on bringing in any new colors (flesh, reds, yellows ect) so I opted to go with a "black" skin tone. The base is the old Charadon Granite, washed with a little watered-down black and then highlighted all the way up to Celestra Grey. On the tabletop, the white of the hair pushes the faces much darker creating this weird "no face" effect. It ended up working out really well. 

IMG_1352.jpg.7ed44818e4503b1fdc7bd5264d59109f.jpg

I originally intended this blog to be more a documentation of my works in progress rather than just for showing off finished models (which admittedly is always nice.) I have a few more photos to get of the things done so far, but after that it will be primarily WIP shots. 

Happy painting!

• Like 20

Now an actual work in progress.

My daughter got an extra day at daycare this week, so I opted to put some paint on the tree revenants creepier cousins; the spite revenants.

08c2447819e6c08db91c2902f719a224.jpg

The color scheme here will be very similar to Drycha (who I haven't gotten a decent photo if yet, but soon!). That is to say, darker than the dryads but with the same basic idea. The bodies of the spits themselves will be in OSL up to gauss blaster green.

The progression here is pretty simple. Basecoat with Rakarth flesh, with the tips of the branches/feet shaded to dryad bark.

f5e8f95f09c1a36e652bff4d50d1b04c.jpg

Which is kind of a pain. I do most of my basecoating with an airbrush to save time (although most of my test models are painted entirely by hand) before going in with a brush, but the dryad bark thins down very quickly and it's tricky to get the consistency right without it spattering.

Once all the fades are clean (no need to be perfect, this a tabletop quality army after all) I'll take the bodies out (everything but the main legs are held together with blue tack at this point) and hit everything with a wash of Carroburg Crimson. This allows everything to pull together before a final spray of Rakarth flesh to bring the lighter parts of the wood back up. I also like to leave a wee bit of blue tack where the glue will go, so I can leave the contact points clean.

2cc05f0e7b0714cf64eb55e2dc04e3b9.jpg

Then I'll just leave them offgas over night so everything doesn't rub off when I go to do the next layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Whoa - seriously gorgeous colour scheme you've got going here! There are so many different colour schemes out there for Sylvaneth and they all look great, but I think this has to be one of my favourites!

I can't wait to see what you come up with next :)

• Like 2

So I spent most of Wednesday putting paint in the outcasts. Here's a photo with Drycha who set the color scheme for the flesh.

f6e5632c36e2dded8f24ed5c512f83b8.jpg

I agonized for number of weeks over what would be the best color to use for the flesh. In the end I opted for a greenish flesh tone starting from Skarsnik up to guass blaster and then up to a 50-50 mix of that and white.

It was a decent compromise between not wanted to bring new colors into the scheme, but also trying to differentiate the outcasts from the rest of the army.

Here a decent pic of the three infantry types together:

5589c5d6d4370adaf04895dba4bf34c1.jpg

You can see how the color schemes are definitely close. The dryads are nearly all white with tips that fade to black, while the Tree-rev's are a little darker thanks to the skin. The white hair however more than makes up for the dark skin. The outcasts have the exact same palette for the wood portion of the model, but the fade happens much faster and the highlighting is more aggressive. The light skin also makes the bark seem darker. And since the green of the skin is more or less reflected on the green leaves scattered throughout the army, it doesn't look entirely out of place but also doesn't entirely fit in either.

Fluff wise it's perfect. It makes sense that the outcasts who are cut off from "all but the most violent parts of the spirit song" would only reflect a very small portion of the color spectrum; while the tree revenants, tempered by ages of martial memories would have the more balanced and more neutral flesh.

I have a bit more work to do on these guys but I'll post an army shot when they are finished.

-F

• Like 14

Updates!

So.

Five more Revenants on the table. At this point they are cleaned and done up to the first wash. Unfortunately, since these will be getting the "standard" treatment, (as opposed to the darker, faster variation seen on the outcasts) I have to wait a fair bit longer for the wash to dry. It's been my experience that if I hit the model with airbrush too soon, the parts where the wag has pooled with flake off if I touch it. So I've opted to wait a little longer to let the model off gas so the second airbrush base coat goes on easily. It makes the process slower, but ultimately results in less work over all.

On a side note I'm attempting to sell my china hutch that's serving as a display case. I had to empty out, so here's it's contents set up on my washing machine.

592d03913abdcb23411676ef1f8dfd9d.jpg

875dcca6d54f3e99fbe438392c4b9676.jpg

At this point it's mostly scenery, my scratch built terrain and a few chaos/order units that either don't make it into my usual list rotation, or I don't have way storage for. Also my somewhat stalled 40k dark eldar. This is by no means all of my models. I still have maybe another 200-250 models in my transport bag. Two full armies no less.

I did manage to get a nice shot of my growing sylvaneth army in its natural habitat. I was able to get some basing done on a second forest floor last weekend, and it really makes a difference.

03ef172e3ddeceb9ba9c34b72fa11a3b.jpg

Thankfully the second forest went together pretty quickly. Eventually I plan to have 9 citadel woods, but at the moment it's only 4. The hold up is basically the leaves which are hard to come by this time of year. But even with only 2 of those painted, it sure makes for a nice scene!

As soon as I get my hands on some more leaves I'll do a basing tutorial for those of you who are interested.

Happy painting!

-F

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Big update!

Yeah. at this point any update is a big update. I try to paint everyday if I can, but we all know how daunting such a task can be. Between wife and daughter, daycare and the inevitable summer projects, painting time can get squeezed so easily. So often I'll paint sporadically over a couple of days/weeks without doing any plot updates. So inevitably when I get around to it, there's lots to go over. 

Thankfully at this point, it's really just the revenants. 

I'm so far, very pleased with how the color scheme is coming together. I played with a few variations, but ultimately the grey skin and white bark made for great contrast. The faces looks so strange and stark outside of the hair since the highlighting seems so drastic (skavenblight dinge highlighted up to Celestra Gray + a little white) before the hair is added. 

IMG_0032.JPG

It's a lot like painting tiny portraits (something i've actually had a fair bit of experience with).

IMG_0030.JPG.8d2afedc447b7c6bf755cf0587646a15.JPG

One with the torso attached, but before hair is added. 

IMG_0029.JPG.d0d830060667fdfc9d9c3364ef99bc38.JPG

One of the things I've really really enjoyed painting was the glow effect on the weapons. I used to do these transition with an airbrush, but recently it's just been easier to do it with the brush. The artificer brushes are of such good quality that these transitions are fairly easy if you have a light touch. 

First, the weapons are bas coated with an even, smooth application of Ahriman blue, and the dark sections are marked out with a 50/50 mix of Ahriman and Black. Most of the swords get one dark transition on one edge, and two on the alternate edge. (I can do more, but it doesn't really add anything, it just takes longer.)  

IMG_0033.JPG.fdffe99d4e1b686284ce5cc24a3bdf44.JPG

When the black is added you can see the transition aren't terribly smooth. i usually end up doing the smooth transitions on the next layer, when I add temple guard blue to what will become the light parts of the sword.

IMG_0034.JPG.8a6864f1b8345e3bb804a538b021a8d5.JPG

After that, I'll go in the light parts a second time. First with Baharroth Clue in the center of the light area and also along the edges and center ridge. that way there is a really clean demarcation between lights/darks. 

IMG_0035.JPG.26b1bb2f622a6cc53bbec703d85bca41.JPG

All thats left after that is to hit the center of the lights with a little baharroth mixed 50/50 with white for some extreme highlights. It makes for a brilliant blue effect and serves as an eye-catching spot color for the army. 

These have been quite enjoyable to paint, and I've since finished two units. At some point I will add a third for my Outcasts Tournament list, but I think I'm a ways off from that. My next Sylvaneth project will be Alarielle, but I've opted to take a short break from the Sylvaneth and move over to my other project; my Disciples of Tzneetch army.

I've very much wanted to take a crack at conversion I've been kicking around I'm my head for a couple of years now. (Since the End Times rolled around at the tale end of 8th edition). Here's where we're at so far. I'll just post part of what's on the work bench, (as the good parts will need some substantial green stuff work and I'm still working out exactly how everything will fit together). Anyone care to hazard a guess at what I'll be working on? :D 

IMG_0038.JPG.0611e3b8ee843cdcea9f07caeb58279d.JPG 

Update in a week or so when I'll have something more impressive to show!

As always, happy painting! 

-F

Edited by Mirage8112
  • Like 6

Rather busy week this week.

I've finally settled on a list for my Disciples of Tzneetch army, and managed to pick up (nearly) everything I need to make 2k points. At this point, I'm really only missing 2 boxes of skyfires. I'm not too concerned, simply because at this point I have more than enough to keep me occupied.

I'm currently building the first box of Tzaangors while also finishing the Tzaangors that were part of the silver tower box set;

9ed65d13183f93ffcd459161e782cfb2.jpg

Since I started painting silver tower before starting DioT, the color scheme is just "Silver tower." I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do for the army, but I'm leaning toward the standard blue-and-gold armor from silver tower, but coal black skin (like the tree revenants from my Sylvaneth army) with grey faces and red plumage. Kind of like an African grey parrot. (They are supposed to be bird-like after all.

But the big news is the progress on the model I teased last time:

821ad3fc47db90f0db262c74456c1590.jpg

91aa0d6f4cc5f41ebf1f58cdfea81ef4.jpg

As you can see he now has a rider, and head! The gap filing was interesting, as I had to sculpt scales to match the transitions. Most of the sculpting work is hidden by the flanges on the head, but it was worth it anyway just to get the practice in.

On top of that, the last of the important parts came today and I was able to do a dry fit:

03c5e98c4f1cabfc8e74d216073e1e3c.jpg

2c88c93f8d743cf3a91738d85f4a2962.jpg

I'm not totally set on the wing position, but it's difficult to test them since they are too heavy for blue tac, and my fiddling with it actually broke the model off the base. It's evident that the model with need to be pinned, and likely given some terrain under his front foot to help with stability.

All in all it's shaping up rather well. Rules-wise he'll likely stand in for a Sorcerer lord on a manticore.

I'll post an update once things are more stable and I've had a chance to work out how to attach the wings.

Happy painting!

-F

Edited by Mirage8112
  • Like 11

• 2 months later...

Yeah, so I've been busy painting, but pretty bad at getting posts up. 

So far I've made really strong progress on this army. I have my unit of Tzaangors painted up:

IMG_0032.jpg.ec4719ea2326d1dff75db5962b78dc76.jpg

Well, half painted anyway since this will likely be a unit of at least 20. You can see I used the black skin scheme from the T-rev's in my Sylvaneth Army. Here's a close-up wip shot of the shield guy in the back:

19149157_10155221855626422_8424095181619854598_n.jpg.56829c164c51941b09fdb3ad6c81056d.jpg

This is a tabletop army, so I'm not doing anything super fancy. Just trying to paint as cleanly as possible. The main difference between this and what I normally do is the inclusion of fluorescent colors as major part of the color scheme. You can see the Tzaangors all have florescent orange tips to their tendrils and feathers. It's also scattered throughout the army in various ways. 

I'm also arraigning them into sort of a visual hierarchy. 

8F48FB87-A858-41D0-BEA3-6C61B597DA05.jpg.869970b8fc634411476cbb54dd8a345e.jpg

The Tzaangor Shamans (which there will be two) get white skin with fluorescent feathers. The enlightened, skyfires and tzaangors all get black skin with various fluorescents depending on their unit. Orange for tzaangors, Green for Skyfires, Probably blue or purple for Enlightened (haven't decided). The Shamans will likely be deployed next to their corresponding units. For example the shaman above will likely be palling around with the skyfires since his feather plume will match theirs. 

I'm also just putting the finishing touches on my conversion. I have little more detail work yet to do, but the idea is firmly there:

2.jpg.5c6255ecfc947908538093dbc00503b0.jpg

1.jpg.b05023ed632ebf7ce0efd3601061664a.jpg

So that brings us pretty up to speed. I'm not sure what to tackle next so We'll have to see how much bandwidth I have over the next few days/weeks. Stay tuned!  

Happy painting

-F

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nico said:

All looking great.

What is your DoT list?

I was building toward something like this:

Allegiance: Tzeentch

Heroes
Tzaangor Shaman (120)
Tzaangor Shaman (120)
Magister (120)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord On Manticore (240)

Battleline
20 x Tzaangors (360)
- 3x Pair of Savage Blade
- 4x Savage Greatblade
- 2x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield
10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes

Units
6 x Tzaangor Skyfires (320)
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened (160)
5 x Chaos Chosen (160)
- Mark of Chaos: None

Battalions
Arcanite Cabal (50)
Tzaangor Coven (40)

Total: 1990/2000

But it remains to be seen if this build will be viable once the new GHB drops. I'm strongly inclined to adjust the list to add a hellcannon for long-range indirect fire.  

• Like 1