Saurischians guard 2+ Save???

Soldier of decay

Question

11 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Soldier of decay said:

So Saurus guard with their ability and eternal battalion have a 2+ save as long as the eternity warden is close. For battle line wtf?

On 1 wound models. In a game where there is a near endless supply of 'mortal wounds' that bypass that save entirely. (For most factions anyway)

Plus Saurus Guard, warden and batallion is what, over 500 points minimum on a small number of slow models. 

And sniping off the eternity warden is also valid if you really need. 

They are 20 points per Wound. Any amount  of mortal  wounds  will Cash in bigtime. + they are slow.  And will stand  still  in order to get their d3 damage. In aos things  that  stand  still without  shooting  tend to be bad.

2 hours ago, Soldier of decay said:

Except when I kill a couple with the few thing that gets through he uses summon to replenish the unit costing him no points. I with have to wipe out the units of 10 with a 2+ save or he will summon to refill ranks and I did nothing

How does he replenish a unit of Saurus Guard? You can only summon new units of them!

You pay for the battalion. You have to keep the leader close. They only have one sound. They are slow. They have no ward save. Rend -2 shreds them in a single combat round.

Given these reasons it's dynamic and fair.

If anything they are too expensive at 100 points for 5.

Also summoning costs points. If you are playing narrative and allowing free summoning , there's nothing to complain about because it's narratively making sense. Your opponent summoning a dread saurian every turn would maybe warrant a "wtf", but saurus guard don't.

3 minutes ago, Soldier of decay said:

It supposed to be matched play. Granted we are learning because no one in our area plays. But the way I understand the rules of you summon to replenish an already existing unit, it cost no points.

Nope. Summoning isn't a healing mechanic in the fashion you are describing I'm afraid. 

Seraphon player can summon new units of most things, but if you are playing Matched Play he must set aside spare points from his starting total to cover whatever he wants to summon. 

5 hours ago, Soldier of decay said:

It supposed to be matched play. Granted we are learning because no one in our area plays. But the way I understand the rules of you summon to replenish an already existing unit, it cost no points.

Read the spells he's using to summon that stuff. None of them mention replenishing an existing unit. They create entirely new units which you need to pay for.

12 hours ago, Soldier of decay said:

But the way I understand the rules of you summon to replenish an already existing unit, it cost no points.

There are indeed speels/abilities that 'replenish' units (Rat swarms for example). That does not cost points but is limited to the starting unit size. Spells that summon a unit (such as with the saurus) are a different thing. It sets up a new unit that you will have to use points for.

To put it simply. New unit = pay, replenish up to starting size = free. 

Archived