Using LOTR models in AoS

I'm looking to start AoS, and I've got an idea for a mixed destruction army.  

But I've always loved the look of the lord of the rings models. They have the realism look which fits the "feel" of certain units I want. Particularly for gitmob grits, I like the small and sneaky look of the Moria goblins in a horde. Also the trolls look so much cooler than the troggoths (OK, the fellwater look pretty cool too). 

Would this be an issue in tournaments? I'd hate to build up a full army and have to hope each TO would allow me to play. I feel like because they are still GW models and are easily recognizable it shouldn't be a problem. 

Thoughts? 

Personally, I too like the more "realistic" approach with the LoTR models line. So totally understand where your coming from there.

One thing to note: the LoTR scale is smaller than AoS. 28mm compared to Warhammers Heroic scale which is now like 32mm or 33.

That said, most tourneys allow conversions of sorts.. though you are looking for more counts-as I think. The good thing is, if you want to play in GW sponsored tourneys or even their hobby centers, you'll need GW models... which includes their LoTR and Hobbit lines. So I think you'll be all good there.

Some tourneys, not all, go with wysiwyg. Keep that in mind with weapon choices on warscrolls.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Some LotR models are fantastic, and look much better than WH/AoS models you would be replacing.

LotR eagles make great HE eagles.

Ringwraiths make cool and varied wraiths (and they were actually bigger than the metal VC wraiths that existed at the time). Though that was better back when wraiths were units and not just characters.

LotR bats look tons better than the actual VC bats.

A fellbeast makes a good wyvern or dark dragon.

LOTR minis are made in true scale  (ie normal human proportions) as opposed to the 'heroic scale' of 40k and AoS. You can find a good range of true scale heroic plastics for various historical eras. I'm using Perry Miniatures medieval ranges for my Freeguild, because a) I also play historical so they're multi purpose and b) like you I really like the more realistic proportions, especially how it accentuates the weirdness of Chaos and other factions.

LOTR is a good source of things like wizards and monsters for a true scale army, but I do sympathise with those who feel that it wrecks the feel of the fame when Aragorn rocks up in the mortal realms. I'd recommend doing a bit of conversion and using some alternate paint schemes to make your guys stand out. To my mind it's no different to using any other range of models. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nelsonus said:

I'm looking to start AoS, and I've got an idea for a mixed destruction army.  

But I've always loved the look of the lord of the rings models. They have the realism look which fits the "feel" of certain units I want. Particularly for gitmob grits, I like the small and sneaky look of the Moria goblins in a horde. Also the trolls look so much cooler than the troggoths (OK, the fellwater look pretty cool too). 

Would this be an issue in tournaments? I'd hate to build up a full army and have to hope each TO would allow me to play. I feel like because they are still GW models and are easily recognizable it shouldn't be a problem. 

Thoughts? 

I would check with the event organisers. For me it wouldn't be a major issue but it wouldn't feel right and it wouldn't be warhammer. This is one of the issues I had with Kings of War, as the rules were okay but the different types of models just didn't sit right with me.

For GW events, this would be a no.

If the bases in general arn´t exponantionally smaller for that specific army I really wouldn´t mind.

Though I have to say, I really wouldn´t know where you´d want to use Lord of the Rings miniatures for at this point in Age of Sigmar. The two fantasy genres are also very much appart from each other and likely one of the prime reasons as to why some old WFB fans still do not like AoS content.

If I´d had to split up Lord of the Rings versus Age of Sigmar you suddenly see how many Fantasy subgenres there are. LotR to me feels like ´hard fantasy´ blended with ´historical fantasy´ where AoS is much more a ´mythical fantasy´ in terms of lore blended with ´sci-fi' and some 'sword and sorcery'. 

I'm a fan of practically all styles but blending them together wouldn't be my thing. 

• Like 1

Lotr trolls are objetively better than warhammer ones in all shape and form.

But yes, I think this work better with monsters. Whats the difference in using a lotr troll, a mierce one , etc? I use toó ringwhraits instead of Whightkings and whraits on my undeads. The Knight of Umbar model its ultra cool, just see him.

Edited by Galas
  • Like 1

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures for a size comparison sake. I use some Lord of the rings models for Frostgrave, personally I think they look too small compared to the new Age of Sigmar models. Gandalf and Elrond are taller models too.  

20170406_002048.jpg

20170406_002318.jpg

I've been using goblin town goblins as ghouls in my flesh eater courts, with some basic greenstuffing and conversion work. I agree that it can break immersion for some, but if you use it as a springboard for something else it can work really well

IMG_8621.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rodiger said:

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures for a size comparison sake. I use some Lord of the rings models for Frostgrave, personally I think they look too small compared to the new Age of Sigmar models. Gandalf and Elrond are taller models too.  

20170406_002048.jpg

20170406_002318.jpg

The scale difference isn't maintainable.  GW have already said that SCE and the new larger minis are supposed to be towering figures, not standard size.  This variation can be found in their current miniature line for what they are selling.  Just take a look:

58e52837c9342_SizeCreepMyth.jpg.f91d4f317117981f9386b00059777569.jpg

These are two current miniatures from their current lines.  The guy on the left is assumed to be normal person scale.  All the other larger miniatures are proportionately larger 7'-9'+.  The smaller LOTR scale is much closer to the Witch Hunter above (which is also considered to be a current miniature).  

• Thanks 1

With humanoid models I can understand the "it feel wrong" sentiment, because LOTR figures are 25mm realistic scale wheres Warhammer its 28mm "Heroic" scale thats its not only more like 32mm but has the proportions of heads, weapons and hands changed.

IMG_04383.jpg

You can see it here, its not only the difference in height, but the head, weapons and hands are very different. 

Now, with monsters, thats not a problem.

IMG_04422.jpg

Monsters, things like the Withc King with his Fel Beast, Wuargs, etc... are very ok because for his nature (They are not humanoids, so we don't feel wrong seeing a variation in proportions and height.) really can fit perfectly with one another. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the reasons I have gone with Perry/LotR models for humans, is the hands and heads. If you don't mix, it works fine. Here's an example of some models of my order army under work. The more realistic humans make the epic models, such as these tree kins, stand out more. Still, the plastic haradrim I bought were bit too small. 

Funnily enough, I have an old waywatcher for this army and he's head shorter than the perry models. Though the peg on the bases causes it a bit.

IMG_4903.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jamopower said:
Spoiler

One of the reasons I have gone with Perry/LotR models for humans, is the hands and heads. If you don't mix, it works fine. Here's an example of some models of my order army under work. The more realistic humans make the epic models, such as these tree kins, stand out more. Still, the plastic haradrim I bought were bit too small. 

Funnily enough, I have an old waywatcher for this army and he's head shorter than the perry models. Though the peg on the bases causes it a bit.

IMG_4903.jpg

Damn dude...the color scheme, basing, and mods are crazy.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 6:26 PM, Thomas Lyons said:

GW have already said that SCE and the new larger minis are supposed to be towering figures, not standard size.  This variation can be found in their current miniature line for what they are selling.  Just take a look:

These are two current miniatures from their current lines.  The guy on the left is assumed to be normal person scale.  All the other larger miniatures are proportionately larger 7'-9'+.  The smaller LOTR scale is much closer to the Witch Hunter above (which is also considered to be a current miniature).  

You say this, but I don't think there's been a humanoid miniature released since the End Times that's to scale with that Witch Hunter. There has been a noticeable, consistent and presumably deliberate increase in the scale over the last 2 years.

Personally, I love the LOTR models and own many of them, but it would make my skin crawl to see them used in AoS. They just don't fit in any way, shape or form. It would be like turning up to a LOTR convention dressed as Harry Potter - nonsensical and a little bit disrespectful.

If people like the LOTR models they should use them to play LOTR/Hobbit, which I must say is also a very good system.

Edited by Guest

• 2 years later...

On a related note, could I get away with using AoS models as a LOTR army?

I suddenly have a lot of wood elves that need a home - and elves being a little taller than humans isn't a bad thing, even if they didn't shoot the films that way for obvious reasons.

I like the realistic scale of LOTR stuff - glade guard look clunky by comparison, but I have enough of them that I could field a whole force, which at least means they wouldn't be compared side by side. 

Glade guard could easily substitute for either of the LOTR wood elf kits, they'd look a bit cartoonish, particularly alongside the newer kit, but I can't see many players having a problem with it.

I once ran a D&D game about a dwarven civil war, and used LOTR dwarves on round bases as the Royalists, and Warhammer Dwarves on square bases as the parliamentarians. The difference in styles caused much merriment, but it made it easy to see which side everyone was on, without me needing to repaint one force to have a different livery. (Both my Dwarven armies use red, for some reason!)