How far can I stretch a starter box? Stormcast Eternals

I'm starting this thread now, with the intent to add some photos later.

Basically, I'm attempting to see how far I can stretch my SCE army based on conversions.  It's tricksy, because starter boxes don't come with a lot of bits.

Inventory: 

• 2 complete starter sets - 1 full set is already assembled and primed before I start, the other is brand new
  • 1 partial starter set (missing the Lord Celestant sprue, and one of the sprues with 1 Prosecutor/4 Liberators)
  • 1 Knight Vexillor
  • 1 box of Judicators
  • 5 White Dwarf bonus Liberators - already assembled and primed

Total model counts, unconverted (* indicates models not in the starter set):

• Lord Celestant on Dracoth - 2
  • Lord Relictor - 3
  • *Knight Vexillor - 1
  • Liberator Prime - 6
  • Liberator - 25
  • Retributor - 9
  • Prosecutor - 8
  • *Judicator - 5

So far, the things I've done include:

• Convert Relictor #3 into a second Vexillor, using the leftover 2nd banner from the Vexillor kit and a non-skull head from Liberator Prime #3 (who is a sacrifice to the bits gods)
  • Convert Lord Celestant using smaller hammer and shield from Liberator Prime #3 (RIP LIberator Prime #3 - unless I can use more bits to turn your body into something else)
  • Use Lord Celestant's big hammer to give Liberator Prime #4 a grandhammer (still with a shield, but that's OK by me)
  • Dig through my bits for Ogre and Dragon Ogre hammers to make the other Liberator Primes, #5 and #6, fun "outsider art" grandhammers, again still with shields but that's fine by me

Plans for the future include:

• Convert Prosecutor #7 to be a Knight Venator.  I have a blister of birdies from 40k, and there are leftover bow bits on the Judicator sprue. Shouldn't be too hard.
  • Convert Prosecutor #8 to be a Knight Azyros.  I have a couple likely swords in my Chaos bits, and I know I have a lantern somewhere if I can remember where it is and find it.  The one on the Skull Pass mine cart isn't my first choice but will do in a pinch...
  • Convert one Retributor to have a Starsoul Mace.  There is a likely mace head in the Dragon Ogre kit, and I only used one out of my two boxes, so I should have one spare mace head.  If I can figure out other ways to do it without a lot of trouble I wouldn't mind more...
  • Try to get one more Retributor.  Whether it's a more dramatic conversion from a Liberator, or beg/borrow/trade one from a mate. Would be great to have 10 rather than 9.

It's pretty fun - I do lots of conversions like this, but I'm usually starting from a full bits box with relevant bits.

I should add that I've almost completed painting the first model, the first Lord Celestant on Dracoth, in my desired paint scheme.  I was originally going to do Hallowed Knights, but decided instead to modify it to match up with my other Order stuff - so they are silvery metal like HKs would be, with metallic blue and red.  Not any established chapter.

I was thinking that their own hammers got broken or something, and went back to Azyr on mini bolts of lightning, so these were scavenged from fallen foes.  And then they won their battle and returned to Azyr via a realmgate so they could take their trophies with them, and then had them "treated" so that they are a normal part of the kit now.

Did a bit more work tonight at the club instead of playing.

First a Knight Azyros. Looks pretty good.

Second was dead easy. Mate had a spare mace, simple weapon swap.

Third I quite like. Got to use the body of poor Liberator Prime #1 after all, to make a 10th Retributor. I had to use bits from 3 different arms to get the angle right on his left arm. Lots of greenstuff to fill in on the back, but not much shows on the front. I used a Prosecutor Prime head, so his backstory is that his Wings got scorched off by a Hellcannon and ended up not making the return trip to Azyr with him when he got croaked. Rather than give him a new set, they decided to give him a unit of Retributors to lead.

20160512_211328.jpg

20160512_211352.jpg

20160512_211409.jpg

• Like 1

This is what I'm doing for bases. I got a 36x18 pebbled mat for a Christmas Village display. Glued all the bases to it. Trimmed the edges. Painted white, then Army Painter blue tone, then white drybrush on top.

I'll be doing the edges brown to unify with all my Order stuff.

20160515_164033.jpg

I also picked up about 120 wooden cubes, about 1cm in size.  I think I'm going to try to batch-paint one (or more) for each base, blue (water) with green/brown (land) and white/gray (clouds) to look like globe/cubes, and name my chapter something with World Cube in the names.

Depending on how I can make them look.  If a couple of test cubes look dumb, I'll scrap the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Well....  they didn't have a Troll Hag in stock at Warhammer World when I went in, and that money had to be spent, so I grabbed a Celestant Prime and a Knight Heraldor.  So now I have almost everything that isn't on a drake/dragon; only missing the Castellant/gryph hound and the Celestant on foot.  And several weapon combos for units I only have one of.

Pretty much at the point where I can finish the assembly - I've got the swirls on the base now, and the main body assembled and added to the swirls.  Wings, head, belt buckle, shoulder pads, and arms are base coated and ready to glue in once I get some hobby time, and then I can get in to picking out details.  And then a photo maybe.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Pretty much at the point where I can finish the assembly - I've got the swirls on the base now, and the main body assembled and added to the swirls.  Wings, head, belt buckle, shoulder pads, and arms are base coated and ready to glue in once I get some hobby time, and then I can get in to picking out details.  And then a photo maybe.

Look forward to seeing the photos!

I'm experimenting with Secret Weapon washes to do the cloak and swirls.  In my mind, the cloak and the swirls are all part of the same item - the model has captured the Prime in the middle of his arrival, and the swirls are in the process of forming into the final bits of the cloak.  A Prime who is already there doesn't have the swirls underneath, he's just a tubby guy in armour flying around.

Getting some great progress going.  Very close to done the first set of models.  Still need to do a wash to get some more details out - the photo of the Venator doesn't do it justice, as the colours seem all flattened out.  In real life the armour has more shade to it.

20160616_200345_1466174089642.jpg

20160616_201943_1466174089275.jpg

Making some great progress.

I made matching bases for a big pile of previously painted Order stuff. Gonna touch up that stuff a bit to make it match, ie. gemstone paints lol.

Hoping to have a bunch of Stormcast done this weekend.

(I'm also giving my 5 year old a bunch of Orc Arrer Boyz. See what she can do with them tomorrow. Not too worried since I have like 150 of them...)

The big question, now that I'm done everything (pics tonight maybe - I'm pretty much done with a very simple display board)...

What do I do for the purpose of Battleline units?  There's just one in my 125 SCGT order list (5 Judicators).

Options include:

• Do some Liberators (zzzzzz snore booooring)
  • Rebase some Quarrellers that are very old and I don't like the paint job, but they are done
  • Paint some new Quarrellers - not a project I'm really interested in.
  • Find some other Order Battleline units to paint - booo, I was hoping to move on to something else.

I suppose Liberators is the easiest way to get something that looks OK and matches the rest of the army.  :(  But then I can move on to other projects.  Too bad Prosecutors aren't Battleline units, I've got 6 of those on my table in progress already...