Orruks are the Best! - A 2K List Brainstorm

Gaz Taylor

So whilst I'm waiting to see how cool the new Air Pirate Duradin are, I'm still quite tickled by the Destruction Grand Alliance and thinking what sort of things I can do in it. Some of these ideas are taking a step away from my beloved Stonehorns and Ogors and trying something new. This has led me to trying out Orruks as we all know Orruks are the best! So sticking with the new battletombs and what is cool, I've come up with the followuing....

Allegiance: Destruction

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Savage Big Boss (100)
- Granite Choppas 

15 x Orruk Brutes (540)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (300)

Ironfist (60)
Kunnin' Rukk (60)

Total: 1940/2000

So a very simple list using the Kunnin Rukk to take advantage of the shooting and then having a load of Orruks to throw at people. List should be fairly fast with the Destruction moves and other things it can do, and hit quite hard. I'm quite tempted to have a go with this list but wondering what you would do to improve it or tweak things?

If you are using megaboss for command ability and bellowing tyrant I would rather have a talisman of protection on him. You have 25 Brutes so the 1+1+ isn't as relevant for smashyness as keeping him alive to make your arrowboyz into monsters :) I play the same list with a lot of success only instead of 2 units of Brutes I use 20 Ardboyz half shield half dual weapons. Great for putting a rock on you opponents objective with insane movement and very tanky stats.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Nico said:

I'm quite surprised that this list hasn't come up sooner.

You should drop something to bring the Arrers up to 40 - it's hard to overstate how much of a difference that makes for just 100 points.

I'm quite surprised as well too be honest. So simple but is a lot of bodies which is why may have been over looked. Would love to bump up the arrer boys but not sure what to drop for the points.

38 minutes ago, Fastbear said:

If you are using megaboss for command ability and bellowing tyrant I would rather have a talisman of protection on him. You have 25 Brutes so the 1+1+ isn't as relevant for smashyness as keeping him alive to make your arrowboyz into monsters :) I play the same list with a lot of success only instead of 2 units of Brutes I use 20 Ardboyz half shield half dual weapons. Great for putting a rock on you opponents objective with insane movement and very tanky stats.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

But it's not a Destruction list without Battle brew! ?

I think your idea for the Megaboss makes sense and sort of like the idea for Ardboyz, but I'm thinking the savage orruks may be enough. Have to mull it over 

37 minutes ago, Dez said:

Huh I really like it. This is what I need to get back into my Ironjawz again :)

Yup. Simple and brutal like orruks should be

Battleshock is potentially a problem I think with this list. 2 big units, 1 inspiring presence. You could potentially be losing  a lot of extra bodies per turn.

I would probably drop the 15 brutes down to 10, take an additional 10 arrer boys, then youve got enough points left over for some kind of wizard to give those 10 brutes mystic shield.

10 brutes still do a tonne of damage!

7 minutes ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

Battleshock is potentially a problem I think with this list. 2 big units, 1 inspiring presence. You could potentially be losing  a lot of extra bodies per turn.

I would probably drop the 15 brutes down to 10, take an additional 10 arrer boys, then youve got enough points left over for some kind of wizard to give those 10 brutes mystic shield.

10 brutes still do a tonne of damage!

I suppose it could be an issue. I think with my Ogors I've never been that bothered with Battleshock. It only becomes an issue if the unit has taken a lot of damage and usually in that case they are nearly dead anyway. Still some ideas to play around with ?

I think your idea for the Megaboss makes sense and sort of like the idea for Ardboyz, but I'm thinking the savage orruks may be enough. Have to mull it over 

An Orruk Warboss on a Wyvern is a better choice. He's sporting a far better Command Ability (which works on Ironjawz, Savage Orruks and Greenskinz Orruks too), 11 wounds and a rerollable 4+ save. I would give him the Talisman to fend off those Skyfires.

I made a similar list this weekend trying to take my Brute star out of pure Ironjaws.  More shots tho for reasons listed above.

The Brute Champ will always be my general with Bellowing Tyrant as long as it can be.  The Warchanter can stay home then.  Without perma-Inspiring Presence this unit will fold.

Instead of 2 5 man Brute units I took 2 20 man Moonclan units with 2 fanatics each.  Now you're playing with power. 

Gives you good combat, scoring units, fanatics and good shooting.  Try to find points for a wizard the Brute star needs mystic shield.  Drop the chanter and Ironfist gets you there. 

I've got a similar list that does very well.  
You can swap the colossal squig out for more heroes or arrowboyz or brutes as you see fit.

Leaders
Orruk Warboss On Wyvern (240)
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Savage Big Boss (100)
- General
- Granite Choppas 
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)

Units
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (300)

Behemoths
Colossal Squig (300)

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (60)

Total: 2000/2000

I think my list was down this road...

Maniak Weirdnob (100)
Savage Big Boss (100)
- Granite Choppas
15 x Orruk Brutes (540) - Champion is General
20 x Moonclan Grots (120)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
20 x Moonclan Grots (120)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
2 x Grot Fanatics (60)
2 x Grot Fanatics (60)
50 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (500)
Mangler Squigs (240)
Kunnin' Rukk (60)

Total: 2000/2000

I like this for appeal, lotsa boyz running across the field, the 'Ard Boyz follow Grimgor to stack the bonuses (up to something like 2+ re-rolling 1's and wounding on 3+)

Spear Chukka might work better as a War Dokk

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Grimgor Ironhide (140)
- General

Battleline
20 x Savage Orruks (200)
20 x Savage Orruks (200)
20 x Savage Orruks (200)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (180)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (180)

War Machines
Grot Spear Chukka (120)

Battalions
Ironfist (60)

Total: 2000/2000

2 hours ago, Nico said:

An Orruk Warboss on a Wyvern is a better choice. He's sporting a far better Command Ability (which works on Ironjawz, Savage Orruks and Greenskinz Orruks too), 11 wounds and a rerollable 4+ save. I would give him the Talisman to fend off those Skyfires.

This^^

He's reasonably affordable for a big'un and has great movement and offers enough buffs and potential damage out put to make him worthwhile.

You can take both the Orruk Warboss and the Ironjaws Megaboss if you want. Could this work?

Savage Big Boss (100)
- Granite Choppa & Shield
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- General
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- 2x Gore Choppa
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppa
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppa
40 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (400)
Kunnin' Rukk (60)
Ironfist (60)

Total: 1980/2000

General Bruteboss is the way forward - A unit of 15 is an indestructible force to be reckoned with, and leaves your Megaboss to cause chaos without worrying about him being in range to give smaller units Inspiring Presence

19 hours ago, Nico said:

The only thing he doesn't have is the -2 rend of the Megaboss and the other buff that the Megaboss gives to Brutes. The 4+ rerollable is sometimes better than a 3+, both are great saves.

I can't think of many situations where the 4+ rerollable would be worse than a 3+. It is marginally worse against rend -2 attacks, and strictly worse against rend -3 attacks, but in all other cases it is strictly better.

18 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

You can take both the Orruk Warboss and the Ironjaws Megaboss if you want. Could this work?

It's risky - you have all (well, most) of your eggs in the one Warboss basket. He will be taken off easily by any list with decent shooting. Of course, when he's not killed by shooting he'll be really good.

20 hours ago, Furious said:

Is the Megaboss a better option than a Banner waving Warboss in this mixed Orruk situation? It seems like his CA and the banner are much better suited for loads o' various Orruks.

The Megaboss buff and the banner have the exact same effect on the damage output of normal Brutes, however the Megaboss has a larger impact on the Brute Boss. The banner, on the other hand, has longer range and affects all Orruk units.

General Bruteboss is the way forward - A unit of 15 is an indestructible force to be reckoned with

While often a good idea, I wouldn't overstate this. It's also a glorious target for an army that can take turn one and fire everything it has at this unit (let alone if it can get a bravery/battleshock debuff/general reroll to reroll the Battleshock result/Kairos onto the unit).

1 minute ago, Nico said:

While often a good idea, I wouldn't overstate this. It's also a glorious target for an army that can take turn one and fire everything it has at this unit (let alone if it can get a bravery/battleshock debuff/general reroll to reroll the Battleshock result/Kairos onto the unit).

A carnosaur or dread saurian could wreck the whole unit!

I would say try to fit in an Orruk Warboss with banner, and drop the Warchanter. You'll lose the +1 to hit for your 15 brute unit (no other one to get a lot of use on), but pick up +1 wound within 16" from the banner to ALL ORRUKs in the combat phase. If you make him General, you can choose to use his Waaagh! ability to give +1 attack to ALL ORRUKs within 12" in the combat phase. Still very much a buffing character, but at least now the unit is buffing your entire army (including leaders) instead of just 1 unit.

Oh, and final points is 2000/2000.

4 minutes ago, Tuluth said:

I would say try to fit in an Orruk Warboss with banner, and drop the Warchanter. You'll lose the +1 to hit for your 15 brute unit (no other one to get a lot of use on), but pick up +1 wound within 16" from the banner to ALL ORRUKs in the combat phase. If you make him General, you can choose to use his Waaagh! ability to give +1 attack to ALL ORRUKs within 12" in the combat phase. Still very much a buffing character, but at least now the unit is buffing your entire army (including leaders) instead of just 1 unit.

Oh, and final points is 2000/2000.

I worded it oddly but yeah this was my meaning. 

Though the banner is rerolling wound rolls of 1, but still a great buff.

24 minutes ago, Furious said:

I worded it oddly but yeah this was my meaning. 

Though the banner is rerolling wound rolls of 1, but still a great buff.

You're right there; I simply read the description wrong there. So, the banner ends up being weaker, but is still looks to be a better pick than the Warchanter. Thankfully their survivability is identical.

12 hours ago, Tuluth said:

You're right there; I simply read the description wrong there. So, the banner ends up being weaker, but is still looks to be a better pick than the Warchanter. Thankfully their survivability is identical.

Plus the Orruk Warboss can ride a boar, so he can get around a lot faster, and more easily be where he needs to be.

Archived