Freeguild General on Griffon

Fireymonkeyboy

He hits like a truck, especially on the charge with the lance. The worry at 1k is that he hasn't got the buff support to help his save, so make sure he's got the shield otherwise those wounds are getting chipped away with a 4+. 

I actually prefer the battlemage, but can't remember what he's like pointswise compared with the general. But Wizard, the Mortal Wound output from the Amber Spear, and the twin heads are nasty. He's squishy at 5+ in 1k points though.

42 minutes ago, Criti said:

I'm confused... I always thought the shield was just there to give the ILLUSION of choice. 

Who actually goes without the shield???

Well it depends how it's modelled, I haven't seen the mini in ages and thought it didn't have the shield as standard. A quick check of GW suggests I'm talking out of a different place than normal xD

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

WYSIWYG is overrated anyway.

Funny things is im not sure if you are being sarcastic, but I totally agree! Some people feel completely slaved to the model itself and thus will only take whats on it, no matter how terrible a choice it is.  If anything you should be able to at least tell that model X is different from the rest (ala Banners and Hornblowers/Drummers) but for heroes they need to look HEROIC. Now with the freeguild general the real choice is what weapon to take. All of them have a place! If you want to run him solo and use his own command I can see the Lance being a very good choice, the Sword is great for those who prefer lots of attacks, otherwise I think the hammer is the best of both worlds and the rend makes it so much sweeter

I used him a few times with the hammer. He is an absolute monster killer. I use him with a big unit of pistoliers as his +1 to hit also affect their shooting, so it has a 'double' bonus. I also am building a 6 strong, demigryph unit to take 2 fast heavy hitting cavalry units and a griffon. With syrategic genius trait you can have a real momentum. After which your main foot force advances and joins the fight. 

Anyway, this os all very unbretonnian and more then a 1000 points. But 16 KotR and the griffon should hit quite hard. Maybe send a damsel on a pegasus after it to give a to the KotR 5++ save.

hes really good for the points

Yeah - he will give a Dragon a run for its money, especially as a General Choice - if he buffs himself. The lack of a ranged attack is the only downside. The Bravery Mechanic is interesting. I've looked at him as a possibly cheeky 300 point 3+ save beatstick in a Winterleaf army.

Archived