Pile In Clarification

ernestern

Question

The FAQ says "When a model piles in it must finish the pile-in move closer to the nearest enemy model."  Does that mean the nearest enemy model you are in combat with, or the nearest enemy model period.

In the diagram, would model A have to end its pile in closer to unit B even though they are outside of 3" or will he go towards unit C, the unit they are in combat with?

Uploaded Images

•  

Pile-In.jpg

7 answers to this question

From your diagram, it appears that your unit cannot pile in at all - each model (if it moves) must end closer to the nearest enemy model (which, as [mention=234]BaldoBeardo[/mention] says, is the absolute closest model regardless of unit), but your unit must maintain coherency. This was clarified in the update to the FAQ. 

Unit can pile in, but individual models don't have to.
(Between the two of us we should get a proper answer eventually! [emoji6] )

3 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Unit can pile in, but individual models don't have to.
(Between the two of us we should get a proper answer eventually! emoji6.png )

Yeah, but I'm assuming those gaps between models are already at the 1" mark. Good point, though. 

What a question-answering team we make!

1 hour ago, rokapoke said:

From your diagram, it appears that your unit cannot pile in at all - each model (if it moves) must end closer to the nearest enemy model (which, as @BaldoBeardo says, is the absolute closest model regardless of unit), but your unit must maintain coherency. This was clarified in the update to the FAQ. 

That is essentially what led me up to this question.  I was thinking about clever ways to limit enemy pile-ins.  Unit B would be my Judicators, peppering them with arrows without committing to melee, while at the same time, Liberators attack at the flank with the enemy unable to retaliate effectively (at least until they take a few casualties.)

I was just wanting confirmation my thinking was on track with the view of the rules.

That is essentially what led me up to this question.  I was thinking about clever ways to limit enemy pile-ins.  Unit B would be my Judicators, peppering them with arrows without committing to melee, while at the same time, Liberators attack at the flank with the enemy unable to retaliate effectively (at least until they take a few casualties.)
I was just wanting confirmation my thinking was on track with the view of the rules.

This is absolutely a valid tactic* and can be used to pull units into bad positions or limit their effectiveness in combat.

*Posters on other forums may disagree vehemently and claim it's a lucky by-product of stupid rules.

This is absolutely a valid tactic* and can be used to pull units into bad positions or limit their effectiveness in combat.

*Posters on other forums may disagree vehemently and claim it's a lucky by-product of stupid rules.

Almost like positioning and flanking were meant to matter organically instead of being prescribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived