Slaves to Darkness 1000pts

Metfan1990

Hi guys, my local club is running a small tournament in May and will be using the Generals Handbook rules and points system. Games will be randomly rolled for so we need to make sure we have everything at our disposal.

The list im taking is as follows,

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- General
- Trait: Lord of War (+1 to hit within 3")
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne

(COMMAND ABILITIES
The Knights of Chaos: If a Chaos Lord
on Daemonic Mount uses this ability,
select a unit of Chaos Knights, Chaos
Chariots or Gorebeast Chariots
from your army within 15". Until your next
hero phase you can re-roll charge rolls for
that unit and add 1 to any hit rolls for them
in the combat phase.)

Bloodsecrator (120)

Daemon Prince (160)
- Mount: Flying
- Axe 
- Artefact: Chaos Runeblade (+1 Attack with Axe)

Battleline
30 x Chaos Marauders (180)
- Axes and Shields (5+AS)
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes and Shields (5+AS)
5 x Chaos Knights (200)
- Chaos Glaives (+1 Damage, -1 Rend on charge)

Units
1 x Chaos Chariots (80)
- Greatblades
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne

Its a very combat heavy list but chaos has always been the smash you in the face army. I find warriors to expensive for 10 models so thats why im going marauders. I find the 40 attacks from them just as effective and they can get better to hit and wound rolls. I will use them to hold up other units being immune to battleshock. The chariot is purely for objectives as its fast but can hit when needed to. The knight with lord go one flank while the Daemon prince is the hammer to an anvil or character hunter.

What do you think? I did have a wizard but with the Bloodsec i had to reroll the spells so not worth his 140pts. 

You don't have to reroll the spells for a wizard from the Bloodsecrator.  Cast your spells first and THEN open the portal of skulls with Bloodsecrator after all your spells have been cast.  You get to choose which order you use these abilities in.

Just now, Jharen said:

You don't have to reroll the spells for a wizard from the Bloodsecrator.  Cast your spells first and THEN open the portal of skulls with Bloodsecrator after all your spells have been cast.  You get to choose which order you use these abilities in.

Never thought of it that way. Great idea! I still think 140pts for a wizard is to much at 1000. But i could be wrong. 

It is a lot for that list.  If you want spells for mystic shielding then you could always just change the daemon prince to Tzeentch.   You'd lose the +1 to hit on his attack but you still have lord of war so that'd still keep him killy if you wanted him to be.  You'd also be able to unbind spells with him which could be useful.

the other thing you could do is bunch the marauders up into a unit of 40 and take Wulfrik from the warriors of chaos compendium, and he's 80pts.

The advantage you will have is you can from 2nd turn come on at any board edge, so you could rock up at the back of his line.

The Bloodsecrator breaks your Slaves to Darkness allegiance so the Knights don't count as battleline.  Fortunately that doesn't matter in 1000 points as long as you keep the marauders as two separate battleline units. If you drop the bloodsecrator then the knights will be battleline and you can combine the marauders into a mega unit.  As a replacement you should consider Sayl as he is Slaves to Darkness allegiance and would be a nice addition to that force. Another idea would be to take a regular chaos sorcerer lord (or a Tzeentch sorcerer lord) and change the whole allegiance to Tzeentch, thus allowing you the abilities in the Disciples of Tzeentch tome (and a second wizard via the tzeentch marked Daemon Prince). In fact I might just steal my own idea!

So Metfan, after stealing your base army list here is what I came up with;

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness/Tzeentch

Leaders:

Daemon Prince (Mark of Tzeentch) (General) 160

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (Mark of Tzeentch) 140 

Battleline: 

5 x Chaos Knights (Mark of Tzeentch) 200

5 x Chaos Knights (Mark of Tzeentch) 200

30 x Marauders (Mark of Tzeentch) 180

Other:

1 x Chaos Spawn 60

Battalion:

Godsworn Champions of Ruin 60

TOTAL: 1000 points

The problem is I think only one allegiance can apply. If its Tzeentch (thus accessing the Disciples of Tzeentch abilities, etc) then I'd lose Slaves to Darkness allegiance meaning the knights are no longer battleline. I suppose the Marauders could be split into two units of 10 and 20 respectively and then it could be a legit Disciples of Tzeentch army... Can anyone confirm if that is correct? 

The GHB is very unclear on it but this is my understanding of it despite the GHB not directly stating anything concerning this sort of situation.   You must pick your allegiance when making your army.  So in your case you must pick between STD, Tzeentch, or Chaos.  If you choose Tzeentch or Chaos then you do not get Knights as battleline. 

You cannot choose Slaves to Darkness Allegiance and choose Tzeentch abilities because Tzeentch is not a Grand Alliance.

From the FAQ:

"You can choose to take either the allegiance abilities for the allegiance your army belongs to, or the allegiance abilities for the Grand Alliance your army belongs to"

The problem is I think only one allegiance can apply. If its Tzeentch (thus accessing the Disciples of Tzeentch abilities, etc) then I'd lose Slaves to Darkness allegiance meaning the knights are no longer battleline.

This is not true. You're right that the rules here are extremely confusing.

It's basically a two step process: 

1. Listbuilding: You write the list on the basis of any Allegiance that you can satisfy.
  2. Choice of Allegiance pack: Then you pick the Allegiance pack based on any allegiance that you can satisfy.

Significantly you don't then redo step 1 after doing step 2. 

The best example is Ironjawz, who have no inherent Battleline units and no allegiance pack of their own. They build a list using the fact that some of their units become Battleline if you satisfy Ironjawz Allegiance. Then they choose the Destruction Allegiance pack (invariably).

Further important points:

1. A unit within a Battalion can gain the Allegiance stamped on that Battalion.
  2. However, Battalions by themselves don't break allegiance, so "A Battalion can still be part of any allegiance that all its units have on their warscrolls." This is a new rule in the DoT book (page 95, point 4). 

A good example of 2, is that 10 units (including at least one hero) with the Slaves to Darkness and Tzeentch keywords in the Everchosen Battalion Fatesworn Warband satisfy the following 4 Allegiances: Chaos, Tzeentch, Slaves to Darkness and Everchosen. This means that you can take Knights and Marauder Cavalry as Battleline for Listbuilding purposes and still choose Tzeentch allegiance. 

Thanks for the advise guys, I knew the bloodsecrator breaks the allegiance. Its based off of a Slaves to darkness army but adding him. :) Why wouldnt you on khorne units? 

Unfortunately i do not own any of the tzeentch tombs, plus its all painted in red for khorne. What does that ability give you? Iv not looked into any of it. 

I almost beat a deathrattle list this week using my list. And if i can beat that then i stand a good chance against most things.  Only reason i list was he managed to roll 10 5-6's out of 14. :'( Daemon prince is purely to hunt heros on the back line. With his fly he is ultra flexible and 5 attacks can really hurt! Bloodsec is a massive pain to use as he is hero phase activated but really helps the marauders. The knights are fantastic as long as they dont get rubber glaives when they charge. Basically i have two very fast flanks. And a solid center. 

Archived