The SCGT Preparation Thread - Destruction Edition!

DeadlySarcasm

Hey Guys!

With South Coast only a few weeks away, I thought it would be really cool to hear about what everyone's working on in preparation for south coast.

So, this is the place if you want to post up list ideas, talk about what hobby your working on, show off your WIP display boards and armies, terrain, whatever you want to!

So having taken pure Ironjawz to a couple of events over the last couple of weeks (Warchief Warpath II and Tomorrow Burns), I'm thinking I want a little change of pace for south coast. Going to break out the mixed destruction! 

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Orruk Warboss On Wyvern (240)
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- Jagged Gore Hackas
- 2x Gore Choppa
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppa
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppa
20 x Moonclan Grots (120)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
- Bows & Slittas
- Bows & Slittas

Units
1 x Grot Fanatics (30)
1 x Grot Fanatics (30)
1 x Grot Fanatics (30)

War Machines
Grot Spear Chukka (120)
Grot Spear Chukka (120)

Battalions
Ironfist (60)

Total: 1990/2000

So, here's what I need to paint.

• Orruk Warboss on Wyvern
  • 5 Orruk Brutes
  • 2 Spear Chukkas
  • 2 Realm Gates
  • Skull Hill
  • Another hill/monument of some sort
  • Some kind of building

And painted, but need rebasing

• 60 Moonclan Grots
  • 3 fanatics

So, just over 3 weeks to go, and still a fair bit to do! 

I will be taking my mixed destruction army. I had some success with this at the Cheltenham on day practice tournament.

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460) (Battlebrew artefact)
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
Orruk Megaboss (140) (General - Bellowing Tyrant)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
- Bows

Units
1 x Grot Fanatics (30)

Total: 1990/2000

I manage to get all this painted to a "tabletop" standard for Tomorrow Burns last weekend. However, I need to go back over and put more effort into:

2 x Thunderhusks

Megaboss

10 Brutes

20 Savage Orruks

Hopefully have enough time to do my ice themed bases

Some scenery (2 realm gates, 2 forests and a "something else")

I feel that destruction could do particularly well at South Coast. Lots of the scenarios require fast and reactive armies (which destruction rampage helps out with a huge amount) - especially on the silver tower scenario where you can hero phase move to within 6" of the tower, then in the movement phase you can garrison straight into it.

I went to the scgt last year with a stormcast army that was basically just a load of models I had built and painted ... I did not do well which I felt took some of the fun away for me (I don't t mind losing but I like to think I always have a chance). So this year i decided to take bonesplittas cos I love me some orks, the army is as follows2d5efa7c7ee899641f5c5b7dc1ccbe48.jpg as to what I have left to build only 40 arrowboyz and 20 orcs in terms of what to paint well ... all of it, but I have dip and I've found that they are quite nice to paint in batches. In terms of scenery it's all done might make some tokens and magic cards oh and movement trays; full circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Caffran101 how did you find the relatively low model count under the SCGT pack? I was at the 1 dayer as well (came last...), and found that in a few cases I would have loved to have had more models on the board. I don't think my Ironjawz are as good as my mixed list I'm working on, which is why I'm really keen to get them taken. I think having the ranged threats to snipe characters is going to be really key.

@DodgyRoller damn thats a lot to paint! hope you can power through it!

20170327_183621.jpg.879e8a3d9075b30518712c20281bba84.jpg

WIP shot of the "skull hill". 

Have ordered a couple of orc towers from TT combat to use as my watch tower, which should be here in the next few days! 

Started getting the wyvern together the other day as well, but RL got in the way and i wasn't able to get very far. I've done a head swap on the rider as well to bring him more inline with the AoS orruk aesthetic. I'll make sure i get some pictures up of him once the whole model is assembled

This is what I'm taking:

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)

Battleline
40 x Moonclan Grots (240)
40 x Gitmob Grots (200)
- Bows & Slashas 

Units
1 x Grot Fanatics (30)
1 x Grot Fanatics (30)

War Machines
Grot Spear Chukka (120)
Grot Spear Chukka (120)

Total: 2000/2000

I have the arachnarok and gitmob grots to finish assembling and painting. Would like to also paint another 4 moonclan grots if i have the time. 

The body of the arachnarok is assembled, just need to do the shaman and riders on top. Will batch paint my gitmob in units of 10 and break up the painting of them with the arachnarok

16 hours ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

@Caffran101 how did you find the relatively low model count under the SCGT pack? I was at the 1 dayer as well (came last...), and found that in a few cases I would have loved to have had more models on the board. I don't think my Ironjawz are as good as my mixed list I'm working on, which is why I'm really keen to get them taken. I think having the ranged threats to snipe characters is going to be really key.

I've had mostly good success with this list for SCGT. I think because of the reliance for heroes / behemoths as objective captures (scenario 1, 3, 6).

For scenario 2 (the silver tower), I throw the unit of savage orruks into the tower asap. They are incredibly hard to dislodge in there and immediately deny your opponent any opportunities to score.

I haven't played scenarios 4-6 yet, so the list may come unstuck a bit.

Generally I find that if I get a double turn, and then do some good shooting and combat, then the relatively low model count doesnt really matter anymore. hah!

1 hour ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

Sounds fair. One amendment i would recommend though is to make your general the frost lord on stonehorn, that megaboss just won't cut it i don't think, you need something really tanky in this pack!

I actually think its better to not have the Frostlord. It means you can send him up to threaten objectives and pressure the opponent while keeping the megaboss close to brutes. If Frostlord was general he has to babysit the brutes (or they battleshock to death). It also causes a bit of target saturation with having frostlord and 2 thundertusks in the list, the megaboss is a much more squishy (but much less attractive) target. 

Another consideration could be to have one of the thundertusks as a general since they are harder to shift (but i think i prefer the megaboss) as it means the thundertusks can support & heal the frostlord

1 minute ago, Donal said:

I actually think its better to not have the Frostlord. It means you can send him up to threaten objectives and pressure the opponent while keeping the megaboss close to brutes. If Frostlord was general he has to babysit the brutes (or they battleshock to death). It also causes a bit of target saturation with having frostlord and 2 thundertusks in the list, the megaboss is a much more squishy (but much less attractive) target. 

Another consideration could be to have one of the thundertusks as a general since they are harder to shift (but i think i prefer the megaboss) as it means the thundertusks can support & heal the frostlord

*Scenario 3 and the kill the general secondary objective are the two big concerns with the megaboss as general.

My thought process behind the megaboss as the general is to ensure that the brute squad is constantly buffed with inspiring presence and the +1 to hit buff. This allows the Frostlord to take battlebrew and the freedom to go on his merry rampages.

My fear with taking the frostlord as the general is that he will charge off somewhere to cause havoc, only to find that half the brute squad has run away.

If I get another practice game in ahead of South Coast then I will give it a try.

Wrote this before at literally the same time as Donal! haha.

Regarding Scenario 3, you get bonus points for the general being on a point. Would rather camp the Megaboss and the 10 brutes behind a screen of grots and let them come and take him off, whilst the frostlord and thunderhusks are eyeing up their general.

My only experience of scenario 3 so far was playing Jimbob. He destiny skyfired the megaboss off and had an unkillable Archaon as his general. Boooooo!

7 minutes ago, Caffran101 said:

My thought process behind the megaboss as the general is to ensure that the brute squad is constantly buffed with inspiring presence and the +1 to hit buff. This allows the Frostlord to take battlebrew and the freedom to go on his merry rampages.

My fear with taking the frostlord as the general is that he will charge off somewhere to cause havoc, only to find that half the brute squad has run away.

If I get another practice game in ahead of South Coast then I will give it a try.

Wrote this before at literally the same time as Donal! haha.

Regarding Scenario 3, you get bonus points for the general being on a point. Would rather camp the Megaboss and the 10 brutes behind a screen of grots and let them come and take him off, whilst the frostlord and thunderhusks are eyeing up their general.

My only experience of scenario 3 so far was playing Jimbob. He destiny skyfired the megaboss off and had an unkillable Archaon as his general. Boooooo!

As a flipside, I played scenario 3 with my frostlord as my general, and opponent was able to block him from getting to his objective which meant he was wasted the whole game. Decided on the aracknarok being my general for basically the same reason as you. 

Morning all,

I am pleased to say that I will be joining my TGA brothers in arms as I will now be taking my Ironjawz to SCGT.

I'm not sure how much I'll deviate from my usual list. I probably should but you know what, I don't really want the stress of last minute painting for this one, so I'm just gonna go along and have fun with what I know. Not convinced it'll work out well, but yeh it's gonna be a good time for sure.

The decision is definitely the right one as I've felt a weight lifted as I no longer am concerning myself with painting and learning a new army in 3 weeks!!

I know Adam (@DeadlySarcasm), @Donaland James (@Caffran101). Will be nice to meet @DodgyRoller and surely there must be more TGA Destruction Bros in attendance?!

The Megaboss

On 4/4/2017 at 10:51 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

I am pleased to say that I will be joining my TGA brothers in arms as I will now be taking my Ironjawz to SCGT.

I think all of us here in the Destruction thread are very happy to see that Papa Megaboss will be bringing his Ironjawz. After reading your 'hobby burnout' thread I think this is a very wise decision.

On 4/3/2017 at 2:45 PM, Caffran101 said:

I might be playing one of the scenarios tonight as a practice game - if I work out anything useful I will post about it.

I had the great opportunity of playing Les Martin (of Facehammer fame) and his gorgeous Sylvaneth army on Monday.

We played the final South Coast Scenario (The mortal wound anvil). I managed to take home a major victory for this game - mainly because Les completely mistook how to score points in the scenario (you just have to be within the designated area, not just next to the central anvil).

My thoughts from the match:

Follow JimBob's advice and understand how the scenario is played, which units can score points, and what conditions are required for these to be scored.

The conditions for this scenario requires "more HEROES in the area at the end of your turn". In my favour I had more heroes (4 vs 3), and high wound count heroes.

The scoring area is surprisingly large - if you gain the upper hand then refrain from overextending. Let the enemy come to you.

I also found that the anvil was a bit of a distraction / red herring. As I have two thunderhusks (Filth!) in my list, I have no need to overextend to access ranged mortal wounds. (I would also recommend that if you do hit the anvil, dont roll three dice!)

My Megaboss had his most 'tactical and unorklike' game ever, as he spent almost the entire game sat on my board edge, out of range from the Kurnoth bow hunters. Until the last turn when he ran into the scoring area to substitute for a hero who had died, and ensure that I took an unassailable lead.

I really enjoyed this scenario - my feedback would be: give a bonus point for striking the anvil, and maybe reduce the size of the scoring area.

Little hobby update, here are some bases i got sorted yesterday with some crackle paint!20170404_191434.jpg.c87f55e7429c02d802f3b94688cf55ff.jpg

Was able to get everything primed yesterday as well (including these).

Finally managed to order some movement trays for the grots, so need to figure out how I'm going to paint those, and whether or not to add crackle paint to those as well. I've also ordered myself some Tufts to go on my hills!

Last bit of scenery turned up today as well (orc watchtower), so going to add a few ironjawz bits to that and get that ready for painting.

There's a twitter hashtag that Gary from Age of Sigbrah started #3weekstillSCGT and it's really helped me to keep my motivation up for this!

Going to get cracking on the wyvern tonight, start drybrushing up the skin!

Another update! Things are coming along nicely. Definitely on schedule to get everything finished, which is awesome as I'm not panicking about not having enough time.

Was able to get all my bases done, which is awesome! Having most of them stuck on a piece of plastic with double sided tape meant i could get them all dry brushed really quickly by just running a large drybrush down the line!

20170408_090445.jpg.7276c01f3eab7ce2d5822492d0326330.jpg

20170408_090436.jpg.244fa7d28cb8ed8610a71f5311298179.jpg

I actually took these in to work on Thursday to get them finished, quite lucky to have colleagues who are really cool about it.

Also been working on the last bit of terrain! I ordered an orc tower from TTcombat, specifically for silver tower. Actually they were so cheap i ordered 2! (I can build and paint the spare one to bring with me to SCGT if anyone needs to borrow it, just let me know ASAP)

20170405_141433.jpg.046720720a57acae6c4ff80b7d56d504.jpg20170405_224415.jpg.e4b5f39d9fe8f39e63765bef7ee01181.jpg

So there it is built, with a brute for scale. Although it looked a bit plain, so my fiancée and I decided it needed livening up! We spent about 20 minutes just pawing through my bits box picking out things we thought were cool. Here's what we came up with!20170408_090039.jpg.265d362824d2d16263ce40d07877cc86.jpg20170408_090043.jpg.20a20bca1cb0d56d35aa67e7bdc0bcb9.jpg

And also, probably my favourite part, this cheeky little guy

20170408_090051.jpg.9d25c68c618d6c57e9d80f6fc114dde5.jpg

There's a few spiders crawling around the base, and other various things that just make it look a bit better and a bit more AoS-y

Going to get this sprayed today, and I've got the whole weekend to get stuff painted!

Next on the list, rebase the grots, fanatics and shaman.

After that, we hit the wyvern!

Hi all , hoping to be at SCGT was very late trying to get tickets but fingers crossed , will be popping in even if i cant play :)

I have a themed army which im franticly working on which incs

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
Tyrant (160)
- Club Basher or Slicer & Brace of Ogre Pistols
Butcher (140)

Battleline
3 x Icefall Yhetees (120)
6 x Ogors (240)
6 x Ogors (240)
6 x Leadbelchers (320)
Thundertusk Beastriders (320)

Total: 2000/2000

Not played much AoS match play , so if list is wrong please let me know , and i know its not strongest , just themed :)

Having played a few practice games using the scgt scenarios I've changed my list from pure bonesplittas to mixed destruction due to how squishy the heros are and the lack of punch in the army 40 savage orcs with spears is great but not at killing things plus the new list has less models to paint 47db4bd02c2386d2b43a812e1126cd03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived