Good basing resources

Hello all!

I'm looking to step up my basing game. The standard sand/dry-brush/patches of flock is getting a little stale, so I'm looking for some cool stuff to jazz up my bases.

So forum hive-mind, hit me with your products, stuff you use out the garden or herb drawer, or tips!

Not that I'm by any means an expert but I'm happy enough with my basing! I use leaf litter and static grass from greenstuffworld and I know they do lots of other great bits like rollers. I also use mushrooms either that I make from greenstuff or from ristuls market.908b6053b0ed63f26a4cf7c65f65ec95.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, Ademo said:

Not that I'm by any means an expert but I'm happy enough with my basing! I use leaf litter and static grass from greenstuffworld and I know they do lots of other great bits like rollers. I also use mushrooms either that I make from greenstuff or from ristuls market.908b6053b0ed63f26a4cf7c65f65ec95.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Really nice stuff there.

I've just picked up some miliput to sculpt some temple tile bases and i have to say it's much much better for this sort of job than greenstuff. I'm definitely going to use it make bones, larger rocks, gems and all sorts in the future.

The usual helpful materials are cork, balsawood, left over sprue and a couple of types of cat litter (usually far cheaper than basing gravel)

With those you can create a lot of varied surface textures and heights on which you can paint the colours to give the effect you want.

Oh! Also I've recently found those little tie top thingies for sandwich bags can be used to make good vines/ plants if you roll them up right and they have the benefit of being stiff and maleable.

Can you tell I've been experimenting with my bases recently?

I found tufts nice too in combination with flock. Tufts give color and height variation and are easy to use.

i like cork too - tiny pieces can be used as stone while sanding bases. Also don't be afraid to build up layers of (coarse) sand to give more texture /height. Works better on larger bases.

otherwise the advises above are solid :)

last thing, I often see people (myself included) being a bit conservative in the colors on the bases and aimed for a natural look. Try use the colors on the base (color of flock, mushrooms, rock tone, flowers, tufts) to complement the actual miniature - creating a nice contrast makes the model more wholesome

enjoy!

Archived