Dispossessed 1k list, first try at an AoS army

Rune Keeper

This is my first try with Age of Sigmar, I just wanted to get input on this as an entry level army.

Leaders:
Warden King (120pts)
General, Strategic Genius, Relic Blade

Runelord (80pts)

Josef Bugman (100pts)

Units:
20 Warriors (200pts)
Great Weapons, Shields

10 Longbeards (140pts)
Great Weapons, Shields

30 Quarrellers (360pts)
Bucklers, Bugman's Rangers

Total 1000pts

I wasn't really sure what was best on a Warden King General, so the artifact and trait are my best unqualified guess. I also considered dropping Bugman for 10 more warriors, but having another hero for objectives seemed like a good idea and I was going to bring Quarrellers anyway. I love Quarrellers and wish they were Battleline. Anyway, since I have no idea when the new General's Handbook is coming or what changes it will bring to Dispossessed I tried to stick with basics.

Something to think about on your question on generalship. You could also make Bugman the general, drop him with the Quarrellers giving him the option to make them unbreakable. Or you could make a champion of the warriors the general and do the same thing on you big block of warriors. Then pair the longbeards with the Warden king to make him able to use his command ability. 

Two command abilities are better then one ;)

Also you can't drop the runelord with the Quarrellers and bugman. Which is a shame because his -1 rend on 30 Quarrellers is very effective! 

So for me it comes down to gameplan. If I'm planning on dropping the Quarrellers deep to force my opponent to deal with them, I think I would split the Quarrellers in two groups. Hang the 20 unit back with the runelord for rend (and maybe the even the warden kings ability) and then just block with first the bugman unit halfway up the board and then with the warriors. I get maximum shooting with the Quarrellers while moving up to objectives. 

If I'm planning to be more agressive and move my army up. I could see myself using this army. Making bugman general dropping the 30 Quarrellers on an objective/key location. Giving them inspiring presence and just hauling ass with the warriors and longbeards to bring the fight to them. 

Or alternatively if I want to play very defensively (in good Dwarven tradition) I think I would not move the Quarrellers up, so I don't need Bugman. I think then I would change the Longbeards to warriors and take an Organ gun. This gives me 20 points over but with a bit of luck this might give you an triumph roll.

30 Quarrelers shooting twice with -1 rend (runelord), rerolling to either to wound or hit (triumph) and adding +1 to wound (Ancestral grudge),  can take out a lot at that point level :D Just make sure you use your warriors to protect you Quarrallers.

So three options I would decide between depending on mood, opponent, scenario if the situation allows. So what kind of playstyle do you like?

hi5 Dispossessed! We don't need no noncey newfangled gimp suit steam balloons. :D 

The list is very solid, nice work. Recommendations on using it:

• Before setting up the Rangers in ambush you'll want to look very carefully at the scenario and matchup. If they're ambushing Bugman and his Rangers don't appear until turn 2 at the earliest, denying you an entire turn of shooting, so you'll need to weigh up being able to power on to an objective with firepower.
  • Bugman is probably 20-40 points too expensive but a great utility hero for dropping wherever you want to hold enemy units up, or even cap an unclaimed objective (he really comes into his own in Three Places of Power). Be sure to deploy him in cover if you can, with a 3+ save and healing D3 wounds a hero phase he can be pretty annoying for a lot of smaller units to shift. Just don't expect him to cause much damage with his axe!
  • Always, always always remember shieldwall with the warriors, longbeards and rangers, and unless you absolutely have to charge to get near an objective don't and let the enemy charge you. Being able to reroll saves is too good to pass up.
  • Don't forget that the Quarellers/Rangers aren't half bad in combat, especially with the Runelord's Rend buff up. Don't be afraid to get them stuck in/positioned to get the enemy stuck into after shooting with them. They're as survivable as Warriors and do almost as much damage.

Are you planning on using the Warden King's command ability on whichever unit the Quarrellers plan on targeting each turn? A much better (imo) alternative option coming in at only 20 points more than a garden variety Warden King is Belegar, who can tank twice as much damage and has a much better command ability (that admittedly only affects melee attacks and not ranged ones, but by the time the enemy's within 16" you're getting charged next turn anyway). You'd need to downgrade the Longbeards to more Warriors to take him, but he's well worth a look.

8 hours ago, Kramer said:

Something to think about on your question on generalship. You could also make Bugman the general, drop him with the Quarrellers giving him the option to make them unbreakable. Or you could make a champion of the warriors the general and do the same thing on you big block of warriors. Then pair the longbeards with the Warden king to make him able to use his command ability. 

Bugman and his Rangers set up during the movement phase, meaning that Bugman or the Ranger champion wouldn't be able to use Inspiring Presence on the turn they turn up, giving you two turns without being able to use it. Lots of people argue not to make a Dispossessed hero with a command ability your general if you're running a unit of Longbeards, but the Longbeards' 5+ save vs battleshock and reroll 1s to wound grumbles are both huge (in my experience) and I'd happily keep them and have the option of Belegar's command ability or inspiring presence.

Archived