Army idea - honest opinion please!

Lucifer

Hi all!

Had a bit of an 'outhere' idea and would love your opinion on it (yes. I know it's 'my hobby' and I should 'do what I like' but I'm just asking...)

So, I'm a average to good painter with not a look time to paint (full time job and part time study) - I'm therefore looking for a quick and easy but nice looking force.

My idea - background

On the Isle of Ghuur,  in the middle of the Sea of Tempests lies a great and mighty temple to Sigmar.  No one knows when, how or why this temple was built but two things they do know - that deep within is enough wealth to make the mightiest Kings of the world-that-was feel but paupers and that those who attempt to liberate this treasure are never seen again

Funnily enough, no one at all is ever seen on that island - save for rows upon rows of gargantuan statues lining the passage ways and entrances to the temple, mighty warriors with human sized shields, archers atop the temple looking out in eternal vigilance and giant dragons ridden by stern faced generals...

My idea - the application 

So, I'd be looking at making an army of living statues - building the stormcast as is with a few scratches and chips here and there and probably some little greenstuff vines and the like. Then painted as rough stone with mossy areas. Finally a red osl glow in any 'eye' sockets... Bases will be lush and verdant with flowers and grass

So, honest opinions please!  Will it look lazy or effective? 

There have been several AoS armies hitting the UK scene at the moment that are painted in a similar style to this (Tim Fishers Skaven, Tony Moores VC and Russ Veals Bloodbound spring to mind) and they all look effective. Done well I can't see any issues with the theme you are looking at doing. I'd say go for it. 

@Stevewren - wasn't aware of these - any links you can offer?

Edit: I found the bloodborne army, tbh a little light for me, I'll certainly be going for a deeper rock colour with chips and cracks damaged in to the model... 

The picture below,  magmadroth of mine from a while ago is probably illustrative of what I mean though, I'd be looking at more damage than this I think...

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

Sounds like a great idea. Vines growing from the bases up over the models themselves is a great idea.

You could even use the technical paints like Agrellan Earth to have some cracked stone effect on large flat armour panels or shields.

Looking forward to seeing this realised onto the tabletop.

That could work very well - what you've described doesn't sound lazy at all, but could be fairly quick to knock out. You might try slapping on some liquid greenstuff to rough up the smooth armour into stone.

Happy painting!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a very good idea. With the right technique you would be able to paint it fairly quickly and it would look striking on the table. I was immediately reminded of Russ Veals bloodhound army - on which he has employed a similar concept: fairly quick and simple base colour scheme with striking blood effects and contrasting base. Check out this picture from his twitter: CXqQ4kUWcAYlRA8.jpg

Looks properly intimidating and great en masse.

Fluff wise it also sounds cool - there's a lot of leeway for cool ideas in the AoS setting.

Archived