Lord Castellant can revive models?

Galas

Question

Fast question!

The Lord Castellan say that for every 7 in the save rolls that a unit does, one of his models can recover 1 wound. To me, that means that one model of the unit that his damaged, can recover wounds, and with the rules of wound acollocation thats mean a max of 1 recover wounds to Liberators etc... 

I'm wrong? Can the Castellan hability revive death models?

And I'm sorry if other has asked this before, but I don't know where its the search option in this forum T.T 

12 answers to this question

Wounds are allocated to models.  When enough wounds are allocated to a model that model is slain.  A slain model is removed from play.  You cannot recover wounds on a model removed from play.  So no - you should not be able to recover a slain model via an ability that is simply recovering wounds.

Edit: if the purpose of your question was to if it can save a model from BEING slain at the end of that combat sequence then the FAQ answers that for you:

"If the Lord-Castellant targets a Stormcast Eternal unit with his Warding Lantern, each save roll of 7 or more made by that unit until the next hero phase immediately heals one wound on one model, and does so with a +1 modifier to its save rolls. If you are making several attacks at the same time (rolling all of the hit, wound and save rolls simultaneously), this means you must first heal wounds for saves of 7 or more, and then apply"

I don't understand the FAQ. And then apply the damage? But if the save its 7 or more don't that mean that the damage its saved and then the model heal wounds?

Sorry, I'm not native english speaker so sometimes its difficult to me to understand rules writted in english when the gramar its so important to understand them.

6 minutes ago, Jharen said:

No problem.  Part of my FAQ quote got cut off it seems as well.  I'll try to explain another way just in case.

In order do these steps:

1) Roll saves.

2) Heal wound for any 7 or more.

3) Apply damage from the attacks.

@Galas the "apply damage" here only means that any unsaved wounds take effect now, after healing. So if I roll 4 saves and (after modifiers) get to 7s, 2 other successful saves, and 3 unsuccessful saves, I will heal as much as two wounds on the wounded model in the unit (if any), then I will take three wounds (if the attack has damage 2, for instance, I would suffer 6 wounds from the unsaved attacks). 

Does that help to clarify the FAQ for you?

This ability cannot revive models, it is also very easy to explain with actual minis and dice and a bit harder with just words :-)

First of all, a unit must be chosen as target of Lord-Castellant's ability - from now on it gets +1 to save rolls. Let it be a Liberators unit.

Then, let's assume enemy charges this unit and inflicts some wounds. Let's say he makes 5 successful hit rolls out of which 2 wound rolls are made.

Now the Stormcast player has to save against those wounds, he rolls a 1 (which becomes 2 with +1 bonus) and a 6 (which turns into a 7). Normally none of the models would die but one of them would have ended with 1 wound less.

However, because of Lord-Castellant's healing ability this remaining wound is not applied because a 7 has been scored on a save roll for that unit. Effectively nothing happened. The unit is unharmed by the assault.

This rule does not work good in case of two wound units as Liberators, but is might be really effective for heroes and Palladin units.

I believe that the healing takes place before the damage is allocated (since damage is only allocated after all attacks have been made) - hence it doesn't cancel out wounds being inflicted by the unit attacking - it only works on previously inflicted wounds).

Lucky for you.

That's a mistake though - it's not consistent with the FAQ or with the core mechanics of damage allocation either I'm afraid.

Someone got Alarielle to have Amphorae work in all hero phases too at that event - which makes more sense....

11 hours ago, Jharen said:

In order do these steps:

1) Roll saves.

2) Heal wound for any 7 or more.

3) Apply damage from the attacks.

This is accurate.  Per the Core Rules, making saves and applying Damage are 2 completely different steps in the combat sequence.  Since the Lord-Castellant's ability triggers on the save roll, it would be resolved at that time.  Once the save rolls are complete, damage would be applied as a new step.

On 26/03/2017 at 5:18 PM, Galas said:

Ok, thanks everybody! I understand it now. 

If the 7's can't negate wounds at the moment the hability seems a little weak to me, but as I'm not Stormcast player I have no idea.

Its more for healing up a stardrake than it is to try and heal a wound on a liberator. If used correctly it can make a stardrake super tanky, however if the healing buff is on the stardrake just choose to not attack it, then kill it with moral wounds :P

On 3/26/2017 at 4:27 AM, Slivarth said:

This ability cannot revive models, it is also very easy to explain with actual minis and dice and a bit harder with just words :-)

First of all, a unit must be chosen as target of Lord-Castellant's ability - from now on it gets +1 to save rolls. Let it be a Liberators unit.

Then, let's assume enemy charges this unit and inflicts some wounds. Let's say he makes 5 successful hit rolls out of which 2 wound rolls are made.

Now the Stormcast player has to save against those wounds, he rolls a 1 (which becomes 2 with +1 bonus) and a 6 (which turns into a 7). Normally none of the models would die but one of them would have ended with 1 wound less.

However, because of Lord-Castellant's healing ability this remaining wound is not applied because a 7 has been scored on a save roll for that unit. Effectively nothing happened. The unit is unharmed by the assault.

This rule does not work good in case of two wound units as Liberators, but is might be really effective for heroes and Palladin units.

Also the whole FAQ issue is pretty much negated by rolling saves one at a time...don't play against a kunnin ruck with that though.

Archived