Mistweaver Saih: what does it mean for Aelfs?

hobgoblinclub

Now that we've finally seen the first aelf, the Mistweaver Saih, what does this mean for the pointy ears in AoS? Yes, pit means they have a brilliant new aesthetic and arguably the best new miniature thus far. 

Screenshot_2016-05-10-23-08-28.png

What does this suggest for the race going forwards, however? 

In terms of the rules, can we infer anything about the play style? 

In terms of the miniature, what can we assume for the range? Is the blank mask suggestive a new eldar-like aesthetic? 

IMG-20160509-WA0006.jpg

Make your predictions! 

47 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

Make your predictions! 

I predict that one of the elf factions (1 of about 20) will have this new aesthetic. :P Not sure how much we can really read into one model. But given the models tricksy abilities, this kind of thing carried over to a sub faction would be cool. Abilities that affect bravery would be welcome, although order has not a shortage of those as it is. 

It is a nice model, I look forward to painting it, and hopefully many of its friends. 

It looks like they are linking the high elf and dark elf aesthetic nicely. I'm excited to see what they do with a bigger unit as I think it looks really nice. It would be nice to get yet another fantastic big lord model on a dragon too! 

@Carnelian I'd guess 'Sigh'.

In fantasy - any of it - elves have always been incredible dull and uninspiring. This is the first 'elf' model that has caught my interest. There's more of the mysticism here.

She's also appropriately dressed. 

8 minutes ago, Shane said:

This is the first 'elf' model that has caught my interest. There's more of the mysticism here.

This is how I feel. I bought some high elves in the 90s but they didn't grab me and I left the hobby soon afterwards. This model is a leap forward from anything elfy that GW have ever done. 

It looks like a coming together of High and Dark to me too.

The moon icon is unmistakably High Elf.  It the icon of Lileath/Saphery where all the mages come from.  Tecilis and the Loremaster both bore these icons. the rest of the spellings are Druchii with the skulls and curved blades.    I'd be interested to see a 360' of this and see what it looks like from the rear.  

It's all speculation from here on.
With "glittering and self-centred" now being the traits of the Stormcast, the (High) Aelves will need a new role in the AoS realms. My bet is that they'll focus more on the enigmatic nature of the Aelves, regardless of the faction. With Stormcast being the paragons of righteousness, the Aelves can be a little more.. complicated. Ethically, I mean. This model seems to show that well, I think.

As for the style, I get the impression that the models I bought in 8th ed are in this middle zone and blend in nicely with both the older WFB models and will blend nicely with the newer AoS models. But the old WFB models don't blend so superbly with the new AoS style.
The old dark elves that I love so much are making way for a new breed of elves and I don't see them mix too well.
It's why I'm keeping my old army on square bases in case my buddies want to play WFB....
... and started collecting a new army for AoS. :)

If all the aelves look as good as these, I may be tempted to try a small force of them.

I think we need to drop the idea of high, dark and wood elves. There are only aelves. It feels like if these elves are the forebearers for new factions, then those factions will have almost nothing to do with the "Azyr-aelfs". Completely new faction, new fluff and new designs. The Azyr aelves are going to be all we get from the old ideals of elves. They will maybe be expanded at a later date, as they all have some solid potential.

That being said, I think that the mysticism and "otherness" is going to be a defining factor in this new direction. These guys are utterly different, almost alien, from humans. Both the Dark and High elves were civilized and orderly. These guys clearly aren't. They just don't fit with the old aesthetic. I can feel the Malerion influence on these guys. They are "shadow elves". It's going to be super interesting to see how their full factions look and feel.

3 hours ago, Ben said:

[snip]    I'd be interested to see a 360' of this and see what it looks like from the rear.  

You would, wouldn't you... ;)

I think we need to drop the idea of high, dark and wood elves. There are only aelves.

I can see them melding High and Dark elves together, but the way the re-organised the wood elves into 1 big "wanderer's" faction instead of a load of micro factions like the other too kinda makes me think that "Wanderers" will stick around as an aesthetic, probably linked to the realm of life. The rest I can see hanging out in the realm of Light and Shadow with Tyrion, Teclis, Malerion and Morathi.

46 minutes ago, Darth Alec said:

That being said, I think that the mysticism and "otherness" is going to be a defining factor in this new direction.

I agree 100% on this.  And I love it, especially the crescent moon iconography.  Really hope GW follow up The Silver Tower with some Tzeentch and Aelf stuff(after the Generals Handbook, of course).  I think units with this aesthetic will be really interesting and distinct. 

I have a lot of wanderer stuff on squares... your move GW..

6 hours ago, Ben said:

It looks like a coming together of High and Dark to me too.

The moon icon is unmistakably High Elf.  It the icon of Lileath/Saphery where all the mages come from.  Tecilis and the Loremaster both bore these icons. the rest of the spellings are Druchii with the skulls and curved blades.    I'd be interested to see a 360' of this and see what it looks like from the rear.  

So pervy....

Yeah, a new way of thinking still trips me up sometimes but overall I enjoy and look forward to being surprised. Instead of race-type now race and multiple versions of said race across the different realms. Keen! Even one faction of duardin have 8 realms to host diff lodges..so that's a lot of variety.

10 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

That being said, I think that the mysticism and "otherness" is going to be a defining factor in this new direction. These guys are utterly different, almost alien, from humans. Both the Dark and High elves were civilized and orderly. These guys clearly aren't. They just don't fit with the old aesthetic.

Releases like the fyreslayers and the orruks have also changed the aesthetic of their armies. Honestly, this is the first race where I definitely prefer the new look. Old elves had become pretty dull. These guys are, as you say, 'alien' to mankind. I love it! 

On 11/05/2016 at 7:46 AM, UrbanJesus said:

I can see them throwing out a small range of "mistweavers" like the fyreslayers release at some point, based on this aesthetic. Possibly linked to the realm of shadow and malekith.

I think this is exactly what we will see. Releases are all faction based lately, and they are throwing up new factions and not adding to existing ones. I really hope aelfs get something cool soon!

Honestly I'm a bit bummed out on the Eldar-eske look. I was just hoping for something... completely different or new I suppose. That said, I still think it's a fantastic miniature and I'm curious what this will mean for the rest of the Aelves!

On 5/11/2016 at 1:03 PM, Mikosan said:

I agree 100% on this.  And I love it, especially the crescent moon iconography.  Really hope GW follow up The Silver Tower with some Tzeentch and Aelf stuff(after the Generals Handbook, of course).  I think units with this aesthetic will be really interesting and distinct. 

I have a lot of wanderer stuff on squares... your move GW..

Yeah, very much agree with the enigmatic, "mysterious" nature of the factions of aelfs we get. Would make for good fluff, too.

The Saih sort of reminds me of some of the old Rackham stuff, flowing pose and lots of character/detail.

For me, there seems to be a huge gulf the skill level of the GW sculptors at the moment. These aelfs are beautiful but minis like the fyreslayers were (again, for me) uninspired. 

If the rumours of Sylvaneth aelfs turning into trees are true, they could be some pretty special minis indeed!

Looks like you're going to see 3 "aelf" factions in AoS, the old world elves from azyr will simply die a death over time, I doubt they'll get updated.

Now you will have the mistweavers style faction, tenebrael style faction and a sylvaneth half tree faction. 

Archived