Which is your least favourite faction and why?

Simple question, really... 

Whether it be because they get too much love from GW, because you hate the lore / narrative, their look or their rule, which faction do you hate the most?

Browsing through GW's website, I realized that there aren't many factions that I dislike - they all have their charm...

But the one I strongly dislike is the Free Peoples. There are few models that I like (such as the demigryph knights or the General on Griffon - I am thinking of buying the latter one actually), but overall I strongly dislike their "renaissance", "puffy-shirt with dainty feather" look. 

That is one faction I wish GW would update with a completely new look, a la Overlords... 

[just realized I posted it in the wrong forum, apologies]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this is a great idea for a thread tbh, it's pretty much just going to be people lining up to paddle armies they don't like, which doesn't help anyone. I mean, look at any 40K discussion ever for how toxic that gets in no time at all.

I mean personally, I really like the Freeguild/Empire and feel that the Stormcast Eternals look like fantasy GI Joe toys that have little no appeal to me, but ultimately I feel it's best to keep that sort of stuff to yourself. I know plenty of people who don't like my collections of grisly corpses stumbling forth to eat their doods, but hey, it's my army and at least I bothered to paint it.

OK.  I wasn't expecting this type of feedback.

I know that folks are passionate about the game - I am - but we are talking about 30mm pieces of plastic at the end of the day and we should all be grown-up/mature people...

I can assure you that the intent was to have a fun and light discussion as opposed to create nerd hate and vitriol.  Given what you said, it is probably best to can / lock this thread.

...and I apologize to all Free People lovers:$

Think it's probably "Hate" in the title. Open discussion is good even if it's about the hobby negatives. I love the positive vibes on this forum and wouldn't change it but without challenging stuff it just becomes a circle ****** of back patting.

I personally am not a massive fan of much of the new Khorne stuff as it's very over the top for my tastes. I tend to prefer low fantasy. This however is a ridiculous statement as I plan my new Kharadron Overlords army...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Veillotron said:

OK.  I wasn't expecting this type of feedback.

I know that folks are passionate about the game - I am - but we are talking about 30mm pieces of plastic at the end of the day and we should all be grown-up/mature people...

I can assure you that the intent was to have a fun and light discussion as opposed to create nerd hate and vitriol.  Given what you said, it is probably best to can / lock this thread.

...and I apologize to all Free People lovers:$

I reckon your intent was obvious and fine. I enjoy a little light hearted bitching back and forth. I think we're all just well experienced in the internet and know where this could end up.

That said I hate bretonnians. Pompous French chivalrous guys with their flashy armour and banners. I hope the faction gets written out of the ga... Oh wait.

Well in that case I hate tomb kings! Pompous Egyptian wannabes with their... they what? Hmmm

Chaos dwarves?  

Dogs of War?

The lost and the damned?

Um...Zoats?

Skaven, well I actually love Skaven but from a painting and collecting view point I hate them. I bought Island of Blood ages ago and planned to play Skaven in fantasy, then I got round to the idea of painting them and I couldn't bring myself to paint 40 rats all exactly the same, then I looked at expanding it and saw the cost and extra models I'd have to paint and put them away. I get them out occasionally and think about starting with them again, but then I look at all those rats and I can't bear thinking about painting them and they go away again.  One day...

I don't hate any faction however I am OCD about anatomy. And while I do understand AoS has become a very high fantasy setting you can still apply practical anatomy to designs.

For example, the Ironjawz Gore Gruntas (my favorite army by the way), now that bottom jaw is just silly and not in a good way. Another would be the Vargheist wings. One of them has proper wing anatomy while the other two do not... i don't get it. Or the Stardrake wings... AMAZING sculpt but those wings... meh. One more is the Dracoth lower canines. They are just too big for me. I cant help but wonder how it actually is able to bite or eat anything. There are plenty more but I'll leave it be.

Again, these are AMAZING sculpts. It just a few minor details that I cant help but notice.

Other than that I have nothing but respect and admiration for the work GW designers do, although, some more female models across the boards wouldn't hurt. ;)

Elves. No reason, we just hates Elves forever. I think it may be because I like Dwarfs and Greenskinz so much :) Also they dress too fancy, though they do always win prom queen so I guess that is a benefit.

4 minutes ago, Dez said:

Elves. No reason, we just hates Elves forever. I think it may be because I like Dwarfs and Greenskinz so much :) Also they dress too fancy, though they do always win prom queen so I guess that is a benefit.

I have this prejudice too. In all honesty I wish I didn't as there have been times where I really fancies picking up some wood elves or painting some dark eldar.

I just can't bring myself to do it

Well considering others are being very cool about it all, I will say I dislike skaven from the point of view they got out of the end times rather well, what with the horned rat ascending. I think the model line is fantastic and they're funky and great enemies in vermintide, but not for me.

Death. Pretty much all death armies. I find the concept of a bunch of skeletons wandering around at the command of a lonely old hermit pretty boring. Slight exception for the flesheaters. Read their AOS fluff and don't love it, but it's not too bad. Just my 2 cents though.

Bonesplitterz.

The aesthetic of almost naked, really stupid caveman orcs seems underwhelming compared to the highly armored, banner toting, magic-wielding, dragon riding, lightning-teleporting rest of Age of Sigmar.

Add to it the fact they are guaranteed to be a horde army, and you know they're gonna take forver to move and attack, and take forever to kill. (Unless high battleshocks).

Kunnin' Rukk also makes that worse when it takes like a solid 2 minutes to roll all those dice. Seems so poorly designed, shoould have just given then +2/+2 to hit/wound or something, not roll another ~100 dice.

It's cool if you want to play it, it's just boring that they all look very same-y, no interesting behemoths, no interesting technology or banners, armor schemes, mounts aren't unique....There's just other cool greenskin options I don't like the idea of bonesplitterz! 

I really like Bonesplitterz in theory, but I really dislike their topknots.  Greenskinz is s'posed to be bald.  And even if it's scalped from a hairy squig or something, I don't really get how the apparatus sticks to their head in the first place.  Don't get me wrong, I really like Boneslitterz, and their masked shaman is one of my favorite models in the whole AoS line. 

When it comes to genuinely disliking armies...I guess I'm not crazy about vampi...er, Soulblights, though even then, I do really like the old Necrarch vampires.  I suppose this stems from the fact that Hollywood has ruined vampires for me.  I definitely don't hate Soulblights though, it's just not an army I would choose to play.

First off, y'all kids need to look up Hair Squigs.

Second, do you know what's more scary than a city devouring dragon? The group of nekked mini-Hulks who just beat it to death with sticks and rocks. 

Thirdly, that's such a reductive description of Death as a Grand Alliance that it's kinda sad in how limited the thinking is. 

But then I like painting dead things tbh. It's an interesting painting challenge and spending most of my hobby time looking at animated corpses helps nullify my existential fear of the eternal void that awaits. :P

Stormcast.

I'm still sore over the 8th – AoS transition, which they remind me of, they embody many of the aesthetic changes between the two games that I wasn't keen on, and they still remind me too much of Space Marines.

I used to think Space Marines were cool — they are what drew me to the hobby in the first place — but for a long time, they were just way too prevalent in 40K (admittedly less so now), and I became fed up with them.

On 26/3/2017 at 0:16 AM, Galas said:

As a 40k Tau Player, I suscribe what CoffeeGrunt says.

So much hate :(  

Shhh shhh, Shadowsun, here we are safe... shh... go to sleep again with your little brother Farsight.

She ain't getting much sleep with him. If you know what I mean...
And by I mean, I'm refering that they will try to kill each other since Mont'ka+Kau'yon ISN'T CANON!

And boy, tell me about hatred. I play eldar and apparently even shining spears and their glorious single S3 attack outside of the charge is broken.

Beastmen.

On the whole, I don't find anything about them as an army that isn't done more interestingly by greenskins or mortal chaos. Even the designers back in 6th ed. (Gav Thorpe maybe?) expressed some concern about them being perceived as the 'beastie boyz' or 'brown orcs' and made a brave attempt to properly distinguish them with their ambush mechanics, semi-skirmishing, and an increased focus on being the creepy woodland parallel to the Wood Elves. That gave us wonderful stuff like Morghur and The Tale of Tomas Wanderer, but it's not enough, really.

You've got gors, armoured gors, ungors, minotaurs, the pretty dull centaur-analogues, spiky boars, a bigger four-armed minotaur, a one-eyed minotaur, and a random grab bag of other chaos monsters that were only included for lack on anywhere else to go. I realise you could semi-facetiously apply the same categorisation to a lot of other AoS forces (savage orcs, savage orcs with bows...) but they really are the third wheel of chaos compared to cults/barbarians and daemons. None of the interesting 'eye of the gods' or corruption stuff was present in the background, just hairy nonsense and mounds made of ******, which was doubled down on in their 8th ed. book.

Even their big epic old world stuff is dull; Gorthor's attack on the empire was well written on the empire side but doesn't come close to any of the vampire wars, Grom the Paunch's waaagh, Asavar Kul's invasion, etc. In AoS, without the same kind of contrast between the northern wastelands and the forests in the heart of the empire, there hardly seems a point to them.

Fitting as some antagonists in a folklore-horror themed WHFRP? Sure. A fully fleshed out faction, or even mini-faction? Nah. Tomb Kings and even Bretonnia were well more fleshed out, had much more potential.

Archived