How good are Ushabti

WillofNagash

I was wondering if any of you have played any Ushabti, the ones with bows or even the mele ones. If so how effective are they? Would a unit of 6 of them be any good? I am running a mixed death list atm. Mainly deathlords, but thinking of adding ushabti for some extra range.

I played 12 of them in a 1k event a week or two ago; and I'm a HUGE fan.  (Full Disclosure: I'm a n00b; and was in love with them before AoS) but they're hard hitting at the points level I was playing and any time I could bring both units of 6 to bear on an area of the board nothing survived.  They tore apart Khorne Bloodbound units, Tzeentech Disc mounted fellows, and let me just say that the skaven shouldn't have even been on the board once they closed to charge range.

Plus they combo well with a Necrotech.  Also being able to add a model back in is really nice.

Can't compare the sizes for you but they're about 2 1/2 inches tall

I have 6 with bows. As long as you are fighting enemies with damage 1 they are really good. They can be resurrected and have a 3+ save. I don't even feel you have to hold them back they can get into fights. They're no Kurnoth hunters but with our lack of ranged options in Death I think they are very effective.

I find bow ushabti to be a really all or nothing damage dealers in game. With a 4+ If they hit, they'll do a ton and you'll be wondering why they're so cheap. If they miss, you sit there wondering when the trash can is and why you paid so many points for them.

I recommend boosting their to hit chance with liche priests if you can. Makes them a lot more reliable and into a good option.

They are also excellent at holding objectives in cover, especially with a necrotech

I think they look super rad and love them.

They are a lot bigger than Judicators -- think roughly troll/ogre sized, but skinnier. 

I think they are in a pretty awkward place, personally. For ranged options regular archers are better if paired with Khalida, and Screaming Skull Catapults are a lot better as long as you support them with a Necrotect. Bow Ushabti are reasonably tough for a ranged unit, but their damage output is very mediocre. Unless you are in love with them aesthetically or are regularly playing opponents that you can't beat unless you kill lone, squishy heroes I wouldn't bother.  Even in the latter case, screaming skull catapults are better. You can also kitbash them more easily, or even scratch build them. 

EDIT: I do want to emphasize that I really do mean it when I say they are fine on the table if you like them aesthetically and that's important to you! Efficiency isn't everything, and they are very unique models.

I personally think they're quite interesting, but don't compete too well with what other GAs get. Kurnoth Hunters are the oft-quoted comparison, and for the most part they're nowhere near as good offensively, and in some ways defensively. They also really suffer from a lack of synergies. Someone above suggested Righteous Smiting, but this doesn't really solve the problem of their bows hitting on a woeful number.

That said, they're easy to regen if you have Wizards, the Ritual Staves seem fairly nasty, and they're pretty tough against Damage 1. I've been tempted to make a proxy of them for some time.

10 hours ago, WillofNagash said:

Thinking judicators with Deathrattle heads and liberators with Deathrattle heads. Paint them up grim, they can be stormcast whose soul nagash stole. Rules represented by ushabti

I don't think it can work. Anyway I don't have any Ushabti to make you see the difference in size. The ones are closer to the ushabti as size are the morghasts without wings.

On 25/03/2017 at 6:44 PM, CoffeeGrunt said:

I personally think they're quite interesting, but don't compete too well with what other GAs get. Kurnoth Hunters are the oft-quoted comparison, and for the most part they're nowhere near as good offensively, and in some ways defensively. They also really suffer from a lack of synergies. Someone above suggested Righteous Smiting, but this doesn't really solve the problem of their bows hitting on a woeful number.

Mannfred, Nagash, and Vampire on dragon's command abilities will also help their to hit chance with rerolls. But there isn't a lot else out there to help them be more accurate I don't think.

• 1 month later...

My 2¢ is that the bow armed ones just feel like slightly sturdier, slow, crappy versions of Tzeentch Skyfires. Pretty suboptimal for the most part.  Imo

Meanwhile the melee ones are situationally quite good but most of the time pretty mediocre at best. If you are up against an army that runs mass attacks at damage 1 with no rend dumping mystic shield on them within range of the death 5+ bubble and they will be quite formidable, especially considering you can revive them. As soon as they end up facing anything that is damage 2 or better making their save much worse they quickly become liabilities that likely won't be worth their points.

Slightly off topic, but for those not blessed with access to the actual models (or the funds needed to acquire them at their current sky high secondary prices), what're everyone's go-to stand ins?  I generally steer clear of mantic stuff due to the material quality and sculpts I'm not a huge fan of, but are their models the best substitutes currently available?

17 hours ago, Sception said:

Slightly off topic, but for those not blessed with access to the actual models (or the funds needed to acquire them at their current sky high secondary prices), what're everyone's go-to stand ins?  I generally steer clear of mantic stuff due to the material quality and sculpts I'm not a huge fan of, but are their models the best substitutes currently available?

I've seen Kurnoth hunters being used.

a few companies make skeleton crewed catapults, but they're rather undersized compared to the most recent current model, being closer in size to the original SSC, which was a tiny thing that fit on a 50mm base.

I'd look for any catapult or trebuchet model that you like the look of, there are tons of options there, or you could even scratch build your own out of bits and balsa.  Just pile some skulls next to it for ammo, and add a few spare skeletons for crew, maybe converting them slightly if you're feeling effortful.

Archived