The Iron Sunz - First ever tournament

N_Watson

So, it's 3am and i have managed to get my army ready for my first ever tournament. 

Not got it all painted to the standard i would like, but i am happy enough to take it to the tabletop. 

I'm actually kinda overwhelmed right now as this is the first time since i started the hobby (in and out over the last 15 years) that i have finished painting a full army. 

Got 5 games this weekend against some very tough lists. One with Sayl, a tzangor shaman, 9 skyfires, 30 blood letters and 3 stormfiends in it. 

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (520)
- Chopppa & Rip Tooth Fist
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (180)
- Pig Iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppa
15 x Orruk Brutes (540)
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Jagged Gore Hackas
- 3x Gore Choppa
Ironfist (60)

Total: 2000/2000

This is what I'm taking. Tried and tested and i haven't lost in any of my practice games over the last few weeks so feeling confident that I can give anything a good game. 

Will be sure to report over the weekend how i get on.IMG-20170325-WA0000.jpeg.15e5ea623e8c7c4e406d38882c147ec0.jpeg

So, day one of my first tournament is over. I have definitely caught the bug. I see myself using all my work holidays to start attending these events. Nobody from my club came with me, so I knew no one, but everyone was really friendly and the games were actually no different to the type of games I am used to, even though it is in a competitive setting. 

Game one  - Border War (GHOUL PATROL)

I played Scott Smith, one of the team Scotland players for the 6 nations later this year. He was playing with the following list...

Crypt Infernal Courtier (140)- General- Trait: Ruler of the Night- Artefact: Cloak of Mists and

Shadows

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (400)- Artefact: Cursed Book

Varghulf Courtier (160)

Varghulf Courtier (160)

9 x Crypt Flayers (480) [battleline]

6 x Crypt Flayers (320) [battleline]

3 x Crypt Flayers (160) [battleline]

Deadwatch (160)

Total: 1980

I was pretty confident going into this game as I have played Flesh eaters a lot and I tend to win vs them. I was a little nervous not knowing anyone, so played a little more ballsy that I normally would. I was confident that my army could do the job, yet I decided to run my Megabrutes through mystical terrain to seal the deal.
Failed the mystical turn 2, leaving them on my right flank doing nothing. Luckily, I rolled this before my hero phase movements, and Scott hadn't left any models within 6" of any of the middle objectives, so I was able to position myself in a way to deny him my home objective, but it ruined my plan big time. 
I went on to lose priority turn 3 meaning that the brutes did nothing for 3 consecutive rounds, which was a big problem. With so much invested in this one unit, there isn't any need to even risk the mystical check. I will never make this "Mystake" again. 
There was a few casualties I could have picked better, as I lost my home objective 6 models to 5, but Scott forgot to use his hero phase pile in from the formation for the whole game, so the outcome would likely have been the same or worse. The game went from 13 - 7 in my favour turn 3 to 17 - 23 against me turn 5.
I managed 1660 kill points to Scott's 800 once the brutes came out to play and I did get most of the secondary objectives which the tournament is tracking. I also think I lucked out as Scott went on to play Riyathe of Tabletop Mini fame with his strong mixed chaos list I am hoping to avoid like the plague. 
20170325_104315.jpg.ff2a1e184cb221352696f57c5270c78a.jpg

IMG-20170325-WA0010.jpeg.17338e3b5e63e35b5d4bfd34bba1982c.jpeg

Result - Major Loss (17 -23)

Game 2 - Three places of Power

Game two was against Phil McGuinness and his mostly Mortal Nurgle list + 2 Warp Lightning cannons. 

The Glottkin (480) (General)

Chaos Lord On Manticore (300) - Blade & Lance - Artefact: Chaos Talisman - Mark of Chaos:

Nurgle

Harbinger of Decay (140)

10 x Chaos Marauders (60) - Axes, Nurgle [battleline]

10 x Chaos Marauders (60) - Axes, Nurgle[battleline]

10 x Chaos Marauders (60) - Axes, Nurgle[battleline]

5 x Putrid Blightkings (180)

Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 2000/2000

This was a really fun game. I have played vs nurgle deamon/mortal armies a fair bit, but never the Glotkin or the Chaos lord. This game was over on points after turn 3, as I has killed the Harbinger and the Chaos Lord on mount before they could rack up any points. The Megabrutes did work early game, but the Glotkin was a beast, and I ended up getting tabled. Really good rolls for the Glotkin coupled with some terrible armour saves. Megaboss also failed Mystical 3 turns in a row from turn one to 3. I hate mystical....

Result - Major Victory (12 -7)

Game 3 - Escalation 

Game 3 was against Graeme Davidson and his beautiful high elf army. 

Anointed Of Asuryan On Flamespyre Phoenix (280) General - Command Trait : Legendary

Fighter, Artefact : Relic Blade

Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (260)

Sorceress (80)

Loremaster (100)

20 x Phoenix Guard (400)

10 x Dreadspears (80) [battleline]

20 x Executioners (400)

10 x Sisters of the Watch (240)

Total: 2000/2000

Not only was this a gorgeous army on the table, (picture doesn't do it justice), but had some fun rules which I hadn't played against before and Graeme was a gentleman and a scholar. It was a bit of a miss-match army list wise for the scenario as I was able to dictate the pace of the game and deny scoring for a good long while. The Anointed were awesome in the game, either at tanking or killing. His unit of 20 Executioners also managed to clear of 8 brutes in a turn of combat much to my surprise. 

My 15 brutes flopped big time for me in this game. Got a charge into the phoenix guard and a double turn, yet only killed 8. My Gorechoppas really let me down, not scoring one wound. Was only left with my Ardboys, Gruntas and a Warchanter in the end. Finding that my speed can allow me to get a lead in the games early, but bad luck and some poor decision making is costing me to scrape by for these wins. 

Result - Major Victory (10 - 3)
20170325_165114(0).jpg.c05638d334f1e4fa0aa9fdf06fcffb9f.jpg

I will be sure to post up how I get on tomorrow with my last 2 games. Likely going to be up against either on the tzeench lists or some stormcast hotness. We will see...

WAAAGH!

Day 2 is now over. Had some awesome games today. After my two majors at the end of day one, I knew I was going to be up against one of the tougher lists. 
My Game 4 was against Liam Watt. Really nice guy, and there was a nice pace to this game. I feel like I learned the most out of this game this weekend. Liam is very knowledgeable, as he should be as the Team Scotland Vice Captain for the 6 nations. 

Allegiance: Stormcast

Lord Castellant (100)- General- Mystic Light: Lantern of the Tempest

Knight Heraldor (120)

Lord Relictor (80)- Artefact: Mirrorshield - Prayer: Bless Weapons

Lord Relictor (80)- Prayer: Lightning Chariot

5 x Judicators (160)- Skybolt Bows

5 x Judicators (160)- Skybolt Bows

5 x Liberators (100)- Warhammers

4 x Fulminators (480)

10 x Paladin Protectors (400)

Thunderhead Brotherhood (80)

Total: 1960/2000

The scenario rolled was Take and Hold. My least favourite as I don't think I have ever won or lost a major on it. Regardless of this, I played for the major from the offset. I was given turn one, so I moved up, partially screening my Megabrutes with some scenery and my unit of ardboys, leaving room for the special weapons to get in if charged.
I equally moved up on the other flank with my Cabbage, denying frontage on him with the GoreGruntas.
I have had success doing this all weekend, as it forces a decision to focus down the 47 wounds of brutes that are immune to battleshock or the Mawcrusha with a talisman. Being put between a cabbage and a hard place if you will...sct1.jpg.aa165a0fb43b8d748aa2fd701d9a7ced.jpg

In Liam's turn one, there was some shooting, plinking off an ardboy and some damage to the brutes, but no casualties there yet. Liam actually managed to miss 4 or 5 shots with his Judicator prime's over the course of the game. The dice gods are fickle. 

Liam won the priority and gave me turn one. I was surprised by this at first, but soon realised the damage potential of the Fulminators with blessed weapons in his own turn one. 
I took the opportunity to pull him in on both ends as his paladins were in a big line, albeit with the maces on either end.  I managed to get the Megabrutes, the Gore Gruntas and the MawChrusher into combat to start krumpin some angels. I had to send my 5 brutes back to deal with the liberators that dropped on my back table edge to defend the shaman and the objective. I managed a fair amount of damage in combat, but not as much as I hoped. Staunch defender is really strong. sct3.jpg.a50895972b6a38ecec03103c9b97e3e5.jpg

In Liam's turn, he retreated his Fulminators with the Heraldor using the space created with the dead units.
Liam pointed out at the end of the game that I should have charged my Ardboys in to prevent him from doing this. I thought he might lightning chariot them over me somehow, getting into my back-line. Upon reflection, there doesn't seem to be enough space for him to have done that, so rookie mistake on my part. Still getting used to all their new rules.
On the charge, his Fulminators managed a solid amount of damage on the brutes. Rerolls and some solid D6 wound rolls on the Dracoths. 

I then lost the roll off again, and got double turned. This is where I thought I had lost the game. The 2nd lot of shooting and combats on his terms really put me on the back foot and in a game that was now looking like a minor for either of us was tipped to Liam. 

sct2.jpg.dfdce3593cf6c984096d0dffe2e4a706.jpg

I managed to pick off a Dracoth with Arcane bolt to prevent him healing any wounds on the Dracoths again from the Ardboys/Megabrutes. Liam had charged his Castelant General into the Megabrutes for good measure, so I was able to take him out in my turn after 2 rounds of combat with the remaining brutes who were holding fast. GoreGruntas were able to do a bit of damage to the Judicators in the back line. 

I lost the roll off again...
sct4.jpg.692ad43a499ba9d42fc12271b323cca7.jpg

The Megabrutes finally crumble and My Megaboss finally gets stuck into some combat. There was a bit of posturing for some secondary objectives with the Liberators on my right flank. They manage to take out my Warchanter. The Ardboys lose a few models, but not enough to cause any to make the battle shock test that risky. Liam pulled back his Judicators some as well, leaving his heroes slightly exposed to my Mawcrusha. He then retreated his remaining paladins from the brute/ardboy combat to deal the damage to the Cabbage. In this turn, the MawCrusha is reduced to 2 wounds. but I reduce the unit to one model with one wound. 

I'm my turn, I was pretty sure it was a minor loss for me. It was looking like his Fulminators were going to go the distance, and they were a lot of points. My Mawcrusha was teetering on the edge and the Megabrutes were gone. It called for one thing, and one thing only... 

#YOLOFOOTOFGORK

Yes, you heard right folks. I had 10 models within range for a plus one, and there was no fancy tricks in my list that I could use to pull this back. So i just manned up, and rolled that 9. 
I then rolled 6 mortal wounds. Then got the 4+. Then 5 mortal wounds, then the foot went to sleep. The Fulminators were left on 1 wound, which my Ardboys were able to chip off. 
The Mawcrusher on 2 wounds shot off some Judicators, then destructive bullked off one hurt Relictor with his 5 dice. I then made the charge into the other Relictor doing 4 mortal wounds, leaving him on 1. He was finished off in combat, as well as the Heraldor that was fighting the GoreGruntas. 

All of a sudden, I am in a position where I cant lose. He has some liberators in combat with my brutes, which is going my way, and 5 Judicators. 

He wins the turn 5 as well and is able to shoot off the Cabbage and I kill off the remaining liberators. Game, set and Match. I manage to squeak out a minor with a Foot of Gork and Pin Ball Cabbage. Its not over until its over. 

sct5.jpg.02cbc1063a754f01ac89922f25aaf09c.jpg

Had luck been more on Liam's side, he would have won I feel. I have had my fair share of bad luck over the weekend though, so it all balances out. Stormcast just have so many tools, it makes me jealous. 

Result - Minor win (1800 - 1340)

This report has been a lot longer than I hoped, so I don't have time right now for my Game 5 report. So I will spoil the ending now and report the game 5 at some point this week. Game 5 was my favourite game of the weekend and it was against the list I was most worried about playing against. 

It was against @Riyathe Mixed Chaos list. I don't have enough time to right up a report that will do this game justice. 

Allegiance: Chaos

Tzaangor Shaman (120)- General- Trait: Lord of War- Artefact: Chaos Talisman

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)- Mount: Steed- Runestaff & Runesword

Be'Lakor, Chaos Daemon Prince (240)

Sayl The Faithless (160)

Bloodsecrator (120)

10 x Chaos Marauders (60)- Axes & Shields- Mark of Chaos: Khorne[battleline]

30 x Bloodletters (300) [battleline]

3 x Stormfiends (300)- Warpfire Projectors

9 x Tzaangor Skyfires (480)

Total: 1980/2000

I will let you all know that I managed to pick up best in Destruction and I got the Master of Beasts award for my MawCrusher. I can't even express how chuffed I was. It was a really small tournament, but it was a great first outing. Was tempted to not go as I didn't know anyone, but I am so glad I did. If the rest of the Scottish scene is anything like the rest of the guys who came this weekend, it is a good time to be playing Warhammer!

prizes.jpeg.c8da97f4cc6948b334057d51752ff8aa.jpeg

Sounds like a great weekend of games. Jealous because I couldn't make it. 

Well done on beating Liam. He'd have been insufferable if he'd won another tourney. xD

Gotta say I've never had a bad day at Common Ground, or at any event run by Harper. Thoroughly recommend to anyone else doing just what you did and giving Scottish tourney AOS a go. 

@N_WatsonAce writeup man, looking forward to getting your perspective on our game haha, was awesome fun. One of them truly crazy fun games of AoS with so many OMG cant believe i made that moments to im never going to win this and then back to pulling victory from utter depths of ruin. Best game of AoS i've had in a long long time! 

Thanks a lot for all the nice comments and likes on the thread. Still on that hobby high after the weekend.

For my last game of the event, I played vs @Riyathe and he Chaos army. When the lists were published, this one stood out to me, and I knew of Riyathe from his YouTube channel. His videos of the Age of Sigmar box set games being the determining factor for me getting back into the hobby last year, made this game kinda special for me from the offset.
Kinda weird actually... Watching someones video, deciding to get into the hobby again to give the tournament scene a go, and then playing the guy in the video in the final game of my first tournament. It's a small scene, but still quite funny. 

Game 5 - Gift from the Heavens

Allegiance: Chaos

Tzaangor Shaman (120)- General- Trait: Lord of War- Artefact: Chaos Talisman

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)- Mount: Steed- Runestaff & Runesword

Be'Lakor, Chaos Daemon Prince (240)

Sayl The Faithless (160)

Bloodsecrator (120)

30 x Bloodletters (300) [battleline]

3 x Stormfiends (300)- Warpfire Projectors

9 x Tzaangor Skyfires (480)

Total: 1980/2000

This list is put together to do one thing and that is win. It looked awesome on the table, and despite there being some khorne, scyre and tzeench stuff all together, it still looked really coherent and nice on the tabletop. I gave the army my best painting vote. Looking at the list though, I couldn't see how I could win. I know the Ironjawz inside out, but haven't come across this type of list yet in any of my practice or the tournament up until now. 
The game would either be Gift from the heavens or Blood and Glory. Thankfully it was Gift from the Heavens as Blood and Glory could have been over before it got started against this list and I do quite well on this battleplan. It is my favourite and I tend to play it the most. 

I deployed in very much the same way as I feel it works really well with this list. I throw the Cabbage on one flank with the Pigs and the big brute unit on the other side of the board. Goal was to divide and conquer and there was a good chance the objectives could fall on the sides and my list being so fast, I could react with force to where it landed. 

Riyathe's list has 3 strong punches in it, so he reacted to my brutes with the 9 skyfires and the shaman and my Mawcrusher with the bloodletter bomb.

mct2.jpeg.b2baf0f057f0d0573ee4e1dc5db11e16.jpeg

I deployed first, so I took turn one in order to buff up the Megabrutes with IP, +1 to hit and Mystic Shield. I then moved up the board on both sides in order to force the reaction. I know the brutes would get shot to bits, but was trying to tempt a charge out of the skyfires as even half my brute unit would smash them to bits in combat. I then screened some frontage on the cabbage with the pigs. 
In Riyaths turn, he buffed up everything and moved to max shooting range for his skyfires. He managed to shoot off 4 brutes, which I was quite happy with actually. I expected more, but they do only have 1 attack each. The Bloodletter bomb came for the cabbage, but he rolled quite low for the charge, getting no attacks into him. He did reduce the pigs to 1 wound left though. mct3.jpeg.404e092f4adc17af390fc584f208d77c.jpeg

Turn two priority went Riyathe and the objective landed on the side of the board where the bloodletters were. Just where he didn't want it to land. He shot off more of brutes, but due to the PIG still being alive, pile ins were hard for him to get a lot of damage into the Cabbage which was now threatening his objective. The pig survived like a boss and I took no wounds on the big guy.  I then did a solid amount of damage back to the bloodletters. 
My turn turn, the comet came down on the side with my Megabrutes. I move the Ardboys over to hold the objective and  rebuffed the remaining brutes. My 5 man brutes moved up to try and get a charge on the bloodletters, but couldn't get to them. The Megabrutes surged forward needing a long 10 inch charge to reach the skyfires, but only rolled enough to get into his marauders next to the skyfires. I figured if I could get priority, i would be able to get 3 inches away and smash them off as I still had 7 or 8 brutes. My Megaboss moved forward a little, biding his time with his eyes firmly set on the be'lakor which had moved forward a little in turn two. 

Score 2 - 2

IMG-20170328-WA0002.jpg.3594bcb9d2d88c09dacafb413d59beb2.jpg

Turn 3 priority went to, you guessed it, Riyathe. I couldn't catch a break! Fortunately due to the bloodletters coherency being broken, they couldn't pile in, so the cabbage still didn't take any damage. The Stormfiends were brought over to help finish the brutes off. Between the shooting and a charge from the skyfires, they were finished off and my objective was now exposed. The Bloodletters were retreated and the marauders brought forward to help block me from scoring his objective. Be'lakor came forward but was not able to charge.  In my turn, I manage to get the cabbage, remaining hero grunta and 5 brutes into the bloodletters/marauders and delete them. The only thing holding his objective is the Chaos Sorcerer Lord, and although he is threatening my objective, if I get T4 priority, I will gain a big a lead, and with how far away his remaining forces are, might not be possible for him to catch me. 

Score 5 - 5

I WIN TURN 4! No more pictures from this point as the game was far to HYPE!
From the start of the game, I really didn't think I stood a chance, but the game was going really well. I knew I was going to score 8 points this turn if I killed the Sorcerer and that would be hard to fail. I moved the Arboys back a little in the hope that in his turn he would fluff the charge for whatever he sent to get my point. I moved the Megaboss up looking at Be'lakor. The brutes go forward to intercept what comes for his objective. 
Mawcrusher eacts the Scorcerer!
Megaboss punches through the back of Be'lakor's skull!
It is a good day to be an orc...

In Riyathe's turn, he pushes forward with the Stormfiends to try and get the objective, but there is still models standing strong after all is said and done. The Skyfires move over towards his own objective getting to the middle of the board and shoot off the full 5 brutes in their way. 

Score 13 - 5

Turn 5 Priority is a big one. If I win this one dice roll, I am guaranteed a Major victory. If I lost it, Riyathe should be able to finish off the Mawcrusher and get his objective and mine for 10 points, and I would have nothing left that could score. 

I lost the roll....

Riyathe managed to get all 9 skyfires into combat with the Mawcrusher and took him out. 

Final score 13 - 15

It was an awesome game and I am really impressed that I was able to stand up to this list. Riyathe finished 2nd at the event, and had I won, I would have finished 3rd, so it was the right way for the game to end. I was a little bit gutted that it came down to one dice roll at first, but upon reflection, I could have won the game in turn 4. I could have sent my 5 brutes behind my Mawcrusher within 6 of the objective to hold it and the Mawcrusher would have soaked the charge leaving the game at 13 - 10. Although it was a stupid mistake on my part to throw them across the board hoping to kill more stuff, it was a valuable lesson to learn rather than blaming it on a 50/50 dice roll. 

Got to give props to Riyathe as well. That turn 4 was rough for him and for a while, i am pretty sure he thought it was over. Hell, I thought it was over and then the table was flipped! He did really well to find a victory. I am sure I will be able to get my revenge one day!

I have decided that I will actually keep this thread up to date with my hobby progress, similar to @Chris Tomlin @Soulsmith (Amongst others. Sorry if your tag escaped me but trust I do read pretty much every thread in this subforum) and will continue to do battle reports with more pictures. Felt like I shouldn't be on my phone much as I was trying to interact with who I was playing with and make a good impression, so I think I will just let my opponent know what I am doing in future and get the camera in about the action. 
I play a lot of friendly/intro games against "hobby" armies, so will probably not report on them unless I think they will be really interesting and stick to the matched play reports for now.

Thanks again for reading my ramblings and the WAAAGH!

mct1.jpeg

Hey @N_Watson,

Sorry mate I'm a bit out of sorts at present and not really reading or posting here. But never fear, the Megaboss will be back soon enough.

I did just want to quickly post in here to say well done, not only for a good performance in your first event but also for such a solid/thorough report. Made for great reading. The game with @Riyathe (who seems like a solid bloke btw) sounded a right blast and super close...you don't mind losing those ones!

I'm so pleased you did decide to go. It was perhaps daunting at first, but now you're in man! This is a ringing endorsement for any would be first time tournament goers out there; I'd wager you'd experience similar to Nathan wherever you are based.

You need to look into flights to Cardiff for September, get yourself to my event at Firestorm; BLACKOUT.

Once again, well done bro. It's been great following your progress on here to get you to this point.
I look forward to the next chapter :) 

Chris

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

You need to look into flights to Cardiff for September, get yourself to my event at Firestorm; BLACKOUT.

Replies! And from the Megaboss no less. 

Was hoping you would see this, but know you are recharging the batteries after some hobby saturation! Cheers for encouragement. I had a ball of a time and can't wait to get to my next event. 

Wanted to go to Tomorrow Burns but it was the same weekend as my tournament in Scotland and Blackout is the weekend after I get married. I have the fortnight off after the wedding with no honeymoon booked as yet. Honeymoon in Cardiff?!? Will see if i can swing it ?

1 hour ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Wow, how did using the brute boss as general work out in general? Did you find it very effective? Did your opponents put you in any tough positions? Did you feel you lacked the option to waaagh?

Well done and awesome posts!

Thanks! The Megabrutes™ were awesome. Against the lists i was playing, you would need to make the Mawcrusher the general if you wanted to Waaagh because the Megaboss on foot would get shot off turn one. The Mawcrusher would then not be able to go off and do his own thing. 

i think there is ways of playing without the brute general for sure, but i like it and find it very strong. I play the list in a way were I make my opponent have to make a choice. Go one flank to deal with the Megabrute unit or go to the other to deal with the cabbage. With the shooting stuff we are seeing these days, it is actually working quite well for me. 

I just had a game this afternoon Vs my Stormcast buddy. He was playing the list Russ veal was talking about on the recent facehammer. 

i weathered the storm turn one, deploying in way that i was only taking shooting from the venator, longstrikes and rain of stars. No losses to the megabrutes turn one from battleshock, though i did lose a brute. 

in my turn i did my usual. Hold the middle with the ardboys to take the comet when it lands, push forward on each flank hoping for the double. 

i get the double, rebuff the Mawcrusher this time and push forward. In my charge phase he gets the aetherwings blocking my brutes. Because i spread the megabrutes out though, when i charged i was still able to get some models closer to his raptors and judicators in the back. The Mawcrusher got in the other side. 

Before any dice were rolled, I was supremely confident because i was where he didn't want me to be. He had to deal with one side and I'm in his deployment zone. At the very least, i will stop him scoring for one turn. 

20170331_165057.jpg.df08b2da1d85c2642875db85b6d732dc.jpg

Im actually feeling quite good Vs the current meta in my area at the moment with ironjawz. I surprised myself at the event last weekend and I am doing good at my club as well. There will always be some filth out there, but at least we have the ability to win Vs it with a double turn. More than some armies can hope for.  

Got the cabbage finished to a standard i am happy with now. No great photos but this one will do for now. Will try and get more photos on the next game. We were pushed for time this game because we had to rerack after turn two because he tried to alpha strike me and i smashed all his soldiers off turn two ?

20170330_214344.jpg.df7812378539ec8e50e7d41fe7570b2c.jpg

WAAAGH! 

Love your thread and congrats on your week-end. I've got one question for you how do you feel about the 3 megaboss + a warchanter are better than one maw-krusha for pts?

I'm new to Ironjaws but I'm currently building toward something similiar to your list.

Not to be a pain but the face armor of the maw krusha seems lost in red on teh red skin... no?

19 minutes ago, Soul oWar said:

Love your thread and congrats on your week-end. I've got one question for you how do you feel about the 3 megaboss + a warchanter are better than one maw-krusha for pts?

I'm new to Ironjaws but I'm currently building toward something similiar to your list.

Not to be a pain but the face armor of the maw krusha seems lost in red on teh red skin... no?

Hey, thanks a lot! I take no credit for the list. Most of us found the 15 brute unit around the end of last year, but this list what @Chris Tomlin took to masters and another event this year. 

As cool as the Megaboss on foot is and he is no slouch on the board, 3 Megaboss's aren't really the same thing. You will likely only have two artifacts, so one will do without, and the threat range is d6(maybe +2) + 4 +2d6 charge Vs d6 (maybe +2) + 12 plus 2d6. He also packs some solid mortal wounds on the charge to something within one inch. You can get creative with that due to the size of his base. Something else not to be ignored is he scares the ****** out of people. I feel in most of my games, my opponent over reacts or under reacts. Which is a really good thing.

The Megaboss on foot can be dealt with quite easily due to him not having fly and being low wounds. And the cabbage looks awesome. I am a noob painter, and even i get compliments on the Mawcrusher. He is just beastly. I agree with your comments on the mask. I didn't want to paint more yellow armour haha. Also, the picture really doesn't do it justice. There is a good highlight on the mephiston read which makes it stand out and i was planning to do some yellow triangle flashes on it when i finish everything else. I have red flashes on yellow and yellow flashes on red on the rest of my stuff, so that will help. 

If you were going to go one way or the other, I'd seriously consider the Mawcrusher. Imo he is a perfect example of where math hammer can only get you so far. He isn't the best choice mathematically, but he brings something else to the table you can't get with more brutes or Megaboss. 

To be honest I haven't even played my first game as an IJ player yet (just played one 500pts intro game) it was just something I saw floating around and I wanted to ask someone on the side of the cabbage. Oh and your model look very cool and one picture out of a picture box won't do it justice, I just felt it was lost but with the yellow flashes it will pop right back I'm sure.

I bought as a start from a player that didn't like IJ A start collecting with maw crusha, so I'll be sure to play him a lot, just wanted reassurance that it would not be a shelved model.

Getting the rest of my army this week, than lot of glueing and painting coming in the next months... 

Archived