*Renamed* Hobby Terminology Pet Peeves *Off Topic*

Turragor

Okay, was thinking about turns of phrase, common idioms and shared vocabulary in a group - our group, our hobby.

And I think it's useful to know what everything means definitely. I think it's also cool to see what kind of acronyms and phrases just become the accepted norm. It's fascinating linguistic stuff.

BUT, and here is where the fun in this thread comes in...

Is anyone else just kind of set on edge by a few examples of this?

For me, two particular phrases make me want to complain and grumble about anything else the user of these phrases says - I never do as I am a mature fella and the internet is not the place for arguing anything. Plus I am being unreasonable. These phrases just annoy me for no reason I can ascertain.

Those two (the key, most irritating words in bold) are:

Phrase 1  - "Why not try X it'll really make the model pop"

Context - Painting when someone is sharing their oh so very arcane wisdom on how to make a model standout.

Phrase 2 - "Is X viable?"

Context - When talking about any list in a slightly competitive fashion.

Any turns of phrase set your teeth on edge?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily a specific phrase, but along the lines of...

"My FLGS are running a 2.5k league - what army should I pick?" [What army is going to win it for me?]

Ugh.

NB. *NOT* the same as (for example) "I like armies that get stuck into melee and are pretty attritional, what do people think would be a good fit?" 

Any sentence that begins with the word "Obviously" and the veiled "well you're thick because you didn't know"...

"Obviously that should be red".  No, it's not obvious, I've painted it blue so your underlying comment implies I've not only done it wrong, but am clearly an imbecile for doing it wrong in your eyes.

23 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

i dunno, using a phrase at the right moment can really make the sentence pop. otherwise they arent really viable when used incorrectly 

:P 

Where is the dislike button...

22 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Any sentence that begins with the word "Obviously" and the veiled "well you're thick because you didn't know"...

"Obviously that should be red".  No, it's not obvious, I've painted it blue so your underlying comment implies I've not only done it wrong, but am clearly an imbecile for doing it wrong in your eyes.

There can be a lot of this kind of talk in the hobby! I think most of us drawn to whatever it is that draws us in (to the whole thing, not only painting or modelling or only gaming) have a knack for saying things bluntly.

A kind of 'it if X is logical then those who think Y cannot have their feelings protected'.

I try my best as a 35 yr old guy to not ****** off my Mrs with my bluntness but I do it anyway!

Aww...I read the topic and thought it was going to be something like banning the phrase, "Great Sigmar's Beard!", or "You've got Nurgle breath this morning." Then a door would be kicked in, a TGA Witch Hunter would stride in and drag the offender away for heresy.

1 hour ago, Mossback said:

Aww...I read the topic and thought it was going to be something like banning the phrase, "Great Sigmar's Beard!", or "You've got Nurgle breath this morning." Then a door would be kicked in, a TGA Witch Hunter would stride in and drag the offender away for heresy.

The title was a trick to lure people in. A controversial statement with tamer discussion inside.

4 hours ago, Turragor said:

Phrase 2 - "Is X viable?"

Context - When talking about any list in a slightly competitive fashion.

This. It's a big one. For me, it really only shows up on the internet (as opposed to within my playgroup), but I hate all the implications of that phrase.

2 spring to mind:

"These are the models I have.  Build me a list!"

"Go pick up some of *insert model here instead*" - this one is often in response to "I have to build with these models, as it's not viable for me to acquire more right now"

4 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Rob just said 'make it pop' on the livestream. Has he been reading this thread? 

My pet peeve is just the work 'grok'. (I wonder if 'pet peeve' is someone's pet peeve.)

Pop this! Pop that! Make it pop!

It's usually highlights isn't it? That's the thing that makes things pop apparently.

Any and all variations of "cheesy," "beardy," "filthy," "OP," "broken," and the like.

Cheesiness” is just a totally subjective concept that really has no validity to the confident gamer. If you play against me, it’s okay with me (within the confines of the rules) if you bring whatever units you want, whatever characters you want, whatever wargear you want. You spend your points any way you want and I’ll spend them how I want. I might not beat you, but I hope I’ll give you a run for your money. 

"to squat sth"

The first time I read that it was funny. The second it was ok. The 10th f.time I see that word in a single thread I want to squat that person. 

Also silly names for races, characters, units made by fans (although" Sigmarines" don't disturb me :-P) 

Archived