Mixing Ironjawz and Spiderfang

Jgroover

A nice person recently traded me an Arachnarock, 15 Spider Riders, and 8 Scuttlings for the Skaven half of Spire of Dawn. I would love to somehow integrate them into my Ironjawz and thought up the following 1500pt list. I like that the spiders can toss out tons of mortal wounds, something the Ironjawz lack. Is this workable? Do you think there is any benefit to bringing them?

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
5 x Grot Spider Riders (100)

Battalions
Ironfist (60)

Total: 1500/2000

I didn't know that was official. Thanks. Every tournament in my area uses 2 at 1500, and that seems to be what people play at casually as well. I suppose I could drop the ardboyz  and ironfist for another unit of orruks and a unit of spiders?

It think it could be fun and relatively effective. There is certainly a problem getting enough in there to get the most out of the syngeries, but if it was me that had to make a 1500pts list, I think I'd do this:

Leaders
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
5 x Grot Spider Riders (100)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (180)
- Pig Iron Choppas
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)

Battalions
Ironfist (60)

Total: 1500/2000

That list also has only two Battleline units :P It is official in the GH - anything above 1000 points falls into the 2000 points category. If your local tourneys house rule that you only need two of them, then go for it of course.

2 hours ago, Solaris said:

That list also has only two Battleline units :P It is official in the GH - anything above 1000 points falls into the 2000 points category. If your local tourneys house rule that you only need two of them, then go for it of course.

Of course, he said that's how they play where he is at.

Am I missing something in the GHB? Could someone tell me where exactly it says that anything above 1k falls into the 2k? The manager at my local GW told me the opposite - anything under 2k is still in the 1k. Now I'm confused.

20 minutes ago, kcjling said:

Am I missing something in the GHB? Could someone tell me where exactly it says that anything above 1k falls into the 2k? The manager at my local GW told me the opposite - anything under 2k is still in the 1k. Now I'm confused.

It doesn't.

Third column, second paragraph on page 106 on the GHB, is what some are interpreting as meaning that anything above 1000 pts is a Battlehost, as it says '...up to 2000 points...'

Thanks Norman, I like that list. It does feel like it gets a little crowded at 1500, so what about at 2000? I kind of like the idea of the following list:

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
- General

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppa
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppa
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 7x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 3x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
10 x Grot Spider Riders (200)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

Battalions
Ironfist (60)

Total: 2000/2000

Plenty of room for the spiders to buff each other, and still have the basis of an effective Ironjawz battalion. Gargant is just for fun, but could be another Ironjawz unit. I'm interested to see how they would play together, the Ironjawz give some of the toughness the spiders lack, and the spiders can chew through anything in the game with mortal wounds. 

If it was me, I would drop a unit of spider riders and the Gargant to take another Arachnarok. I think double Arachnarok buffed by the spider Boss would be better. I'd also consider either giving the extra Arachnarok the Battlebrew, or if you do not take it, take the Talisman on the spider Boss, to add to his protection as his main job is buffing not killing.

That's a good point. Seems like putting a shaman on the second one makes the most sense, for redundancy and because arcane bolt seems more useful than the flinger. So the list could look like this, which seems pretty good to me. Wish destruction had more battleline options, guess the savage orruks can try to grab objectives?

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)

Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
- General

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppa
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppa
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)