Death v Stormcast last night.. wowsers

Greetings from the Warp

Last night had my first proper game v Stormcast with my mixed Death list.. 

I ran= VLoZD with cloak and red fury, Winged VL, Vargulf, 3 x 10 Skeletons, Mortis Engine, 2 Harbingers, 2 Archai, 3 Spirit Hosts, 6 Spirit Hosts..

He ran= Dracoth Lord, Castellant on foot, 5 Concussors, 3 x 5 Judicators, Hammerstrike with Prosecutors and 2 x 5 Retributers..

Played places of power mission.

Woweee what a game - I managed by turn 5 to kill his whole army and only lost my 2 Hereos, Mortis and a few Spirit Hosts and some wounds on my VLoZD.. 

That said I lost 9-0 so bitter sweet lol.. Having never played the mission or Hammerstrike I castled up on the central part of my DZ and my turn 1 I shuffled forwards and don't jump on any objectives.. As this guys super experienced, his turn 1 he jumped on 2 objectives and they just stacked thru the game.. His Hereos were buggers to shift..

Had I remembered the pile in bit and did a combat different then it would of been different, as would of killed off his Cellestant on foot, or likewise if I rolled that precious 2 to would for my Vargulf he would of killed him off too lol.. Oh well..

Cracking game and learnt loads!

Man of March was Archai as with the reroll to hit from VLoZD they went through litwrally everything! The VLoZD with red fury was brutal too.. 

Mortis was meh, healed and did a few a wounds here and there, sucks it's effects are in the hero phase and not shorting phase.. That said it's a gorgeous model so rule of cool..

Whats next? Dropping winged VL and Vargulf for a VLoAT.. apart from that the list feels solid..

Did you find yourself utilizing the cloak on the VLoZD?

It's tricky to use, but with experience you have some flexibility w/ options. Alternatively,  the tomb blade helps heal extra with red fury.

If you start to see your area has a lot of 6+ hit = mortal wounds(retributors, bloodletters, spirit hosts), then the cursed book can work out nicely too.

Not sure what you would have needed to have done differently. Maybe get those spirit hosts up the table faster? they're great at tarpitting but terrible vs. mortal wounds.

Yeah you're paying for the varghulf's regen ability for ghouls which you can't use. 

If it was three places of power then getting durable heroes up early is very useful. 

My plan for this would have been - cloak of mist and shadows the VLOZD onto one of the objectives then cast summon harbingers - dump these as close to the judicators as you can and try and charge them. Even if you don't get in you can guarantee they will start shooting them instead of the VLOZD - if they do get in start smashing up the gunline.

Surround your vlozd with the spirit hosts to stop the hammerstrike plopping next to him and wiping out the VLOZD in one turn. This dude is going to be your main points scorer but also attract all the attention of the other guys. At the same time on a flank send another hero to claim one of the others - or maybe the middle one to force him to a flank. For me this scenario is about getting on points early and holding them, so try and keep your heroes well supported by chaff. The Mortis Engine should be held onto for  as long as possible, but it is a pig to time that thing correctly.

^I totally agree about getting heroes on the points ASAP. It really comes down to who can get there first because you'll force your opponent's hand to try and knock you off. Although it is super tempting when you have a pretty decent hammer (VLoZD, both types of morghasts + support heroes) such as yours to just smash stuff.

How were you dealing with the concussors? Archai with support? 

Thanks lads some great comments above..

So turn 1 nearly did my cloack, but held it to turn 2 then with his move after, he was in the face of 2 x 5 judicatory ready for a charge.. keeping my nerve as it were, paid off on that occasion.

Me left PoP objective wasn't fought over at all, so hindsight should of branched to that one for some points. I didn't really think about mission well enough as I should of gone turn 1 to grab 2 objectives.. doh!

The Concussors were whittled down by 6 Spirit Hosts and then the Archai.. 

22 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

My plan for this would have been - cloak of mist and shadows the VLOZD onto one of the objectives then cast summon harbingers - dump these as close to the judicators as you can and try and charge them. Even if you don't get in you can guarantee they will start shooting them instead of the VLOZD - if they do get in start smashing up the gunline.

Great idea love this..

Archived