Slaanesh his Spartans, step daughters and anything that catches his fancy.

Kramer

Last summer I returned to the hobby after a 15 year hiatus. Before that I collected Dwarfs and Dark Elves, had an combined army of Ogres with my dad and had just started on a Skaven force when I lost interest/went to university. Since last summer I've been painting things left over and i'm still not done with the backlog. But I've decided to do the one army that has always been on my list but I never started on.... A Slaanesh army. The heroes are just fantastic and with the daemons the faction became gritty. The arrogance and bravoure but without it looking misplaced is what I liked in the models and something I would like this army to show.

My inspiration to get started on this theme was an old episode of QI: Greeks. In this episode the weird story gets told of why you should run to the hills if you saw a Spartan doing his hair, makeup and applying perfume. Spartan Warriors did this before a battle to the death because they wanted to be sure to look their best in death. Further building on the similarities, and differences, between the Slaanesh Lore and Spartan history I have a backstory in mind that inspired me to start. But you will have to discover that for yourself through the blurbs with the models/units I post. 
(also the made to order deamonettes came at a perfect moment as I don't really like the new models :D )

So i'm using this plog and the realmwars campaign thread and site to keep me going. So all C&C is welcome and all questions will be answered.

First up the Slaanesh Lord on Foot. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

58d055b580ca5_lordintroduction.png.08d06c03d92defc0d4e02ee3045607f9.png

Careful Oerl stalked through the forest. Dead and burned branches lay everywhere, one wrong step would cause the tell tale snap of a twig and warn his quarry. He wore blood red to blend in with his surroundings. A great fire had ravaged this forest, as happend every season in the Firerealm. Every season while the forest regrew the fire lizards hatched and grew as well. During their mating season their territorial battles grew so fierce the forest fires were inevitable. Yet his clan lived, and thrived, here. Their god had commanded them to guard this area as it contained a very important Realmgate. Although this Realmgate to the Shadowrealm had lain dormant for generations it was still a very prestigious task. Deep in the forest you could still find the remains of the last clan defending the portal. They, in their vanity, had stepped through the portal. Foolishly believing it to be better defendable from the other side against the accursed ‘Golden Boys’. Oerl spat on the ground at that thought. The thought of their cowardice and their hated enemy made his blood boil. 

*SNAP*

Cursing, he realised he had given his position away. He quickly readied his shield and unsheathed his axe. The time for subtlety was over. He would charge forward like his patron god, Khorne, would demand of him in the years to come. He could now see the outline of the Realmgate. The place were his older brother, Gimi, was on guard duty. Unlike his little brother, Gimi was already on the path of becoming a chaos warrior blessed by Khorne. But if Oerl could defeat him he would finally take his place, his rightful place. For weeks Oerl had gathered his strength and courage building up to precisely this moment. This would not be a brotherly battle, this would be a battle to the death. Khorne cared not whose blood flowed as long as it flowed. With a battlecry: ‘Blood for the Bloodgod' on his lips he charged only to trip on the head of Gimi. 

Sprawling on the ground and feeling no sadness only fury Oerl looked around. But what he saw froze him in terror. With a sly grim on his face, looking majestic in a golden suit of armour, the most elegant man Oerl ever saw looked down on him from the steps of the Realm gate. With a cry on his lips, Femir turned an ran: “ The nameless one has returned!”

This is one of the two models I always wanted but I never bought as a kid because I didn't really like the rest of the range. So it was an absolute joy to finally paint it. (first soft resin model though, not a big fan)

I'm pretty happy with the paint job but I keep struggling with larger surfaces of metalics. I wanted his skin to be very pale so I might go back for another highlight of Eldar Flesh. I wanted to get the Spartan red (from the film 300) coat in and also wanted to pink to make occasional appearance. The base will reflect the fire realm in time but I want to to all bases at the same time so that has to wait. 

All tips on clean metalic surfaces are very welcome. 

IMG_0104.JPG.b091c69746bf1aa08688e06c4c272cb4.JPG

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

i need some advice. While I'm assembling my 10 Warriors of Chaos (see wip pic from awhile ago below) I'm starting to doubt if I want to add long capes. On the one hand it works really well in the 300 photography and if done right will add some extra movement to the models. On the other hand I like the clean look now and I'm not too sure I'm good enough to green stuff the capes the way I envision them.

what do you think? Worth a try or will it only clutter the model? 

IMG_9142.JPG.d81e2e0d573bb5b3833e83a54d3c4cb4.JPG

IMG_9143.JPG.8734cb9d1c272658482e037553277ef2.JPG

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 3

I think they look great (and perfectly hoplite like) as is! Flowing capes could work too but I don't think they need them at all. 

Another factor worth considering might be how "elite" these guys are and what unit they're supposed to represent. If they're just lowly marauders then definitely leave the capes off, but if they're mighty warriors who'll be your counts-as chosen you might want to give the capes a go, for instance. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roberto said:

Lovely conversions.

I think the capes would gunk them up.  Your models have plenty of movement as it stands!

I love hoplites.  I like how this guy painted the armor:

Picture749-1.jpg

That is a pretty copper color. I still struggle with metallics. So I'm giving the metal on the test model 1 maybe 2 more layers before highlights.

And maybe even a freehand logo on the shield.IMG_9156.JPG.1c8e711e90949e600bc927d86642169c.JPG Never tried that before... so we'll see.

Thanks for the compliment on movement in the model. Until the kairic acolytes dropped I've considered everything from marauders to blood warriors as the basis but nothing really fitted. But these sculpts are just amazing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davariel said:

I think they look great (and perfectly hoplite like) as is! Flowing capes could work too but I don't think they need them at all. 

Another factor worth considering might be how "elite" these guys are and what unit they're supposed to represent. If they're just lowly marauders then definitely leave the capes off, but if they're mighty warriors who'll be your counts-as chosen you might want to give the capes a go, for instance. 

Good call! I've been waiting for the final parts for so long the conversions felt overly logical to me ;) edited the post.

These are my Warriors of Chaos. I don't think I'm going to add marauders so these we'll be my core units for the army besides the Daemonettes. But the back story for the Warriors will tie closely to spartan culture of training since birth where the ultimate pleasure and excess is found in battle. Tying it loosely to slaanesh. 

And thank you for the compliment ?

Edited by Kramer

I think you're doing great :)

Firstly those shields.... where did you get those shields! (and helmets)

Now to capes, like Davariel I really don't think they need them.

iIf you do want to greenstuff some cloaks it might be worth you finding a cloak on a model you like, and roll out some greenstuff and then mould it to the model's cloak. When it's dried you could then carefully peel it off and glue it onto the warrior. - naturally coat the model's cloak in a  water based lubricant first so that it comes off cleanly but also then you can just wash it off.

Perhaps you could do a pennon or back banner instead to mark them?

Metallic stuff is quite easy - it really just depends what you're trying to go for and what level of richness in the colours.

For my bronzes I generally start by washing the base colour with a brown wash, something like agrax or devlan mud as was.  I actually use Daler rowney inks for most of my work so my washes are never exact  from one batch to the next, more relying on what feels and looks right.

then griffin gold dry is very good for that final glinting edge.

When I last did Slaanesh I used hellstriders on marauder horses - well worth getting abox for all the slaaneshy bits like heads and arms on them.

I started with a base of an aluminium colour and then did a wash of very thin dark blue. I then drybrushed the base back on, then griffin gold, and finally used the necron compound with some silver in it to pick out the final highlights.  the blue bled through the layers.

Those shields on your guys would look amazing in rich bronzes and a freehand sigil would just finish them off beautifully.

file_zps6f575a0e.jpg

file_zpsf22b8152.jpg

Edited by Kaleb Daark
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I think you're doing great :)

Firstly those shields.... where did you get those shields! (and helmets)

Now to capes, like Davariel I really don't think they need them.

iIf you do want to greenstuff some cloaks it might be worth you finding a cloak on a model you like, and roll out some greenstuff and then mould it to the model's cloak. When it's dried you could then carefully peel it off and glue it onto the warrior. - naturally coat the model's cloak in a  water based lubricant first so that it comes off cleanly but also then you can just wash it off.

Perhaps you could do a pennon or back banner instead to mark them?

Metallic stuff is quite easy - it really just depends what you're trying to go for and what level of richness in the colours.

For my bronzes I generally start by washing the base colour with a brown wash, something like agrax or devlan mud as was.  I actually use Daler rowney inks for most of my work so my washes are never exact  from one batch to the next, more relying on what feels and looks right.

then griffin gold dry is very good for that final glinting edge.

When I last did Slaanesh I used hellstriders on marauder horses - well worth getting abox for all the slaaneshy bits like heads and arms on them.

I started with a base of an aluminium colour and then did a wash of very thin dark blue. I then drybrushed the base back on, then griffin gold, and finally used the necron compound with some silver in it to pick out the final highlights.  the blue bled through the layers.

Those shields on your guys would look amazing in rich bronzes and a freehand sigil would just finish them off beautifully.

file_zps6f575a0e.jpg

file_zpsf22b8152.jpg

Oh wow those look great! I'n definitely trying the final highlight with griffin gold dry. We roughly use the same method for bronze. I base a metallic, 2/3 layers of bronze and the dry brush of gold to pick out edges. So it sounds like it's in the details. I'll give it a go as soon as possible. ?

The helmets are scibor miniatures and the shields are from puppets war. And they were the hardest to find. Because almost all shields have markings on front. These don't, hence the room for a sigil. Now for a design. 

• 2 weeks later...

Small update time! I finished up 3 test daemonettes on temporary bases. 

IMG_9308.JPG.83379a4fda6b89dc7e1e98f78d7f2599.JPG

they are a bit grubby and I'll probably clean them and start over. But until that time they will stay like this because they all got elements I like and dislike. So I'm looking forward to painting a squad of 10 right after the Warriors. 

And on that not, I'm can't wait to pick them up again but I have a campaign day coming up and I need to finish around 500 pt to compete. so not a bad delay but a delay non the less. 

• 1 month later...

And time for the next update. Painting continues after a brief dry spell to prepare a campaign. We ended up playing hinterlands due to the birth of someone's first kid. Great joy all around ?

Model in back is almost done and the two others getting there. I decided to challenge myself by adding a freehand sigil on the shield, never done so before, so now for a design...

IMG_9519.JPG.2f9cefcf61f0c7dddb42441503391e55.JPG

IMG_9555.JPG.16d4951ff069d952e22da866d9790b97.JPG

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

Couldn't find the time to paint but did find the time to assemble the champion of the Chaos Warriors. But... I can't decide on the weapon! So what else to do than to ask you fine people of the internets for your wisdom and insights! 

IMG_9557.JPG.ff2aa1226880d2417812ca156ae70386.JPG

IMG_9559.JPG.35cd1d04e57f80cdfb26349a29f5359e.JPG

The choices from top to bottom:

on the model - a dark elf sword which quite resembles the sword Spartans preferred. 

A Chaos Knight spear (would have to remove the hand and scale it down a bit) 

A dark elf spear same as the other Warriors (the helmet already indentifies him as the champion)

A ornate kairic mace 

the Kairic scroll

A Daomonettes claw - the big advantage is that it ties it to the daemonic part of the of the army 

The Corsair Fleetmaster sword - tougher to pose naturally but vicious looking

A Chaos Knight sword - I feel it's to big but it's very much a Chaos weapon  

Sudden idea: I could also remove the shield (maybe add it to the back) and give him a weapon besides the claw. 

Edited by Kramer
Extra option added
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shenordak said:

Oh, I like this Spartan angle, Warhammer needs more ancient greek influence. Go for the chaos spear, it's a more iconically hoplite weapon. But the current sword is nice to

Thanks for the compliment! It's one of the few things I miss from warhammer. The influence from different cultures. 

I like that the sword I found is not dissimilar to their Xiphos-sword:

1361.png

But you are right that the spear is more iconic. 

how about the dark elf spear with the fleetmaster sword blade on the end, so it's not a full length spear, but more like a glaive.

I think the chaos knight stuff just looks too heavy for them.

the kairic mace would be quite cool just with their hands going into the ball as if it was a guard, so the ornate blade is more a cross between a buckler and a punching dagger, buckler much like the blood warriors gore fist thingy. :)

On 17-5-2017 at 10:57 PM, Kaleb Daark said:

how about the dark elf spear with the fleetmaster sword blade on the end, so it's not a full length spear, but more like a glaive.

I think the chaos knight stuff just looks too heavy for them.

the kairic mace would be quite cool just with their hands going into the ball as if it was a guard, so the ornate blade is more a cross between a buckler and a punching dagger, buckler much like the blood warriors gore fist thingy. :)

I like the glaive suggestion and will give it go! Thanks

Progress time. As my slaanesh gang moves back from the shadow realm into the fire realm I wanted suitable dark bases that still ties them to the fire realm. IMG_9595.JPG.1fe04934c6d1f9c4fc53c0608113e3ee.JPG

i like the ' river' ones. The puddle not so much. What do you guys think? 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Milkgunner said:

I prefer the river over the pool as well, maybe try having some where the river widens into a delta instead of just having the pool as a blob in the middle?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Yeah I just made the others without pools only thin lines ;) Luckily it was a bit of an experiment but I think that because it is wider it would need a more gradual fade to yellow. Hence the thin lines on the others.

• Like 1

Yeah I just made the others without pools only thin lines wink@2x.png Luckily it was a bit of an experiment but I think that because it is wider it would need a more gradual fade to yellow. Hence the thin lines on the others.

Nice, looking forward to see your Spartans on the bases.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milkgunner said:

Nice, looking forward to see your Spartans on the bases.

Well than you might be in for a treat tomorrow ;) I already finished painting the command squad. Only I forgot to base the Standard Bearers arm so will have to finish that one tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well, that was the best break of painting since I picked back up. But now I'm back from a three week holiday and I will be picking up the pace over summer. (Hoping to get a couple of games in at august) 

so first up I finished the command squad! 

IMG_9947.JPG.088b47a8a93496b6b59f3f92b46273c1.JPG

i will be adding a banner to the bearer but I want to research and practice the logo this army is going to fly a bit first. 

So four more to go, need to clean up the green stuff first and then prime them. 

IMG_9938.JPG.6c3a24d00a96cb96eb0f45416c03102b.JPG

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 11

Some really awesome posing there! Love all the little details like the pauldron straps across the chest and the slanesh demon claw on the champion. Also, bare feet on lava rocks? You don't want to f with these guys.

You've got a really cool army concept here. Hoplites feel right at home in the mythology-inspired world of the mortal realms, and I wouldn't be too surprised if we eventually got some sort of Greek inspired faction for AoS.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1