New to FEC - Question

annarborhawk

So I got the start playing box and the King Vlagorescu box. That gives me 12x Crypt Flayer/Horrors. Both the Abbatoir and Dead Watch Battalions looks pretty good to me. The question is how to model these. Do I make 9x Flayers and a Flayer Courtier for the Dead Watch. Or do I go with Horrors? 

My plan was to magnetize them, but the arm connections look pretty tricky for it.

From my personal experience, both are pretty potent. It depends as to how you want to play. I personally like the Horrors, using two units of 9 in the Attendants at Court battalion, alongside the death book Ghoul King for +2 to hit and wound. If if you want to get up close and persona fast, and wipe units out quickly I would definately recommend the Deadwatch, I like the slower approach myself thus the horrors.

Honestly, it really depends on how you want your army to play. If you want to focus on monsters and speed, then the Flayers are probably your best choice. If you would rather have regen and grind, then the Horrors are your best bet. The difference comes down to speed and how much they can be buffed. Horrors are usually used as a deathstar unit. 6 Horrors with 1-2 Varghulf or Haunter courtiers and a Ghoul King on foot will statistically pump out 12,56 wounding hits at damage 2 (3 base A, + 1 from Black Hunger), and get 4 models back each turn. Add in a Necromancer and a Vampire lord for a command ability that actually has some use, and 6 Horrors pump out 31 wounding hits at damage two (3 base A, + 1 from Black Hunger, +1 from blood feast, x2 from Vanhel's). There's not a lot that can stand up to that. However, you are then limited to the movement of your slowest support character.

Flayers trade in the reroll from the King for an additional attack, mortal wound on sixes, -1 rend, and an a screaming attack (that will rarely do much of anything in my experience), and an additional 5" in movement. IMO it's that last point that makes Flayers worth taking. If you do go the Flayer route then you are almost forced to include some big monsters for their damage input, and to keep up with the Flayers.

If you want the horde of unkillable ghouls slowly rolling across the table, go for Horrors and support. If you'd rather to prefer to blitz across the board, then Flayers and Monsters are your friends.

1 hour ago, annarborhawk said:

? I don't understand where the +2 to hit and wound come from. 

The plus +1 to hit and wound comes from the Abhorrant Ghoul King in the Death Allegiance book, the ghoul king has a different command ability which is give all Flesh Eater Court Units within 18" of this ghoul king +1 to hit and +1 to wound, I make it a +2 to hit and +2 to wound by using the Attendants at Court battalion which allows me to use command abilities twice per turn, including the same one.

3 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

I thought the Ghoul king in the FEC book replaced the old one.  It's like that too on the Warhammer app. 

It's one of those things that needs to be fixed in the next GHB. As long as the name matched the points in the GHB you can technically choose which version of the war scroll you want to use. IMO a pretty cheesy move though.

3 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

I thought the Ghoul king in the FEC book replaced the old one.  It's like that too on the Warhammer app. 

So in regards to this point the only thing I can say is according to the FAQ, you can pick which warscroll you can use. >https://gyazo.com/45f048e21cd214c2156a5392ddc44f84

That's from Page 6 of the AoS FAQ on GW's Webpage, it's also the reason I -always- have the books on me.

2 hours ago, Cagos said:

The thing is that the names dosn't match.
The GK from the Death book is a Strigoi Ghoul King and the one from FEC and GH is a Abhorant Ghoul King

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And for this one I can only send a picture from my phone that is from the Death Book of the Ghoul King. I've attached it with this post, please excuse the quality, my phone is beyond it's use by date.

death book ghoul king.png

Yes you can choose. Most people choose to use the most up to date scroll, but there is nothing to prevent you using the old one. In a lot of matched play comp packs for tournaments you will find a rule specifying you have to use the most up to date scroll, which is the one in the app.

But as official rules go, there is nothing against it. GW doesn't appear to have a system of version control on their warscrolls so 'most up to date' can leave people feeling a bit disappointed if they didn't know their favourite warscroll has been updated.

Archived