Beastmen

Kosmion

hey everybody

i was wondering what people think about the beastmen, so heres a list of a couple of questions on my mind right now:

is it "worth" to start collecting them right now?

are they weak or OP?

do u think they will be updated, and if so, how?

what are the future lore plans for them?

I can't really answer any of those questions, as I don't have very much experience with them. However, I have had my eyes on them for a long time now, and I really hope that they get a little update at some point. Even a start collecting box would be great. I think breaking up warherds and brayherds was a little unnecessary, because now you just have two under powered factions that lack the "heavy-hitters" or the fast infantry of the other.

Use tzaangors, shamans, sky fires, and the thamateurge for now. Chances are the other chaos God releases will have more god-specific beastmen releases. Would be nice if tzaangors had the 'gor' keyword.

This is what I'm hoping for with the rumored slaanesh release while I paint up my tzaangors. 

Fielding them as the core of a Chaos army, Beastmen have the potential to be quite strong, but requires that you mix in a couple of other factions, including Warherds, Monsters of Chaos and Slaves to Darkness to round out your weaknesses.

The biggest oversight with them is that they can't follow a specific god, which limits the synergies that you can get within the army.

At the moment there's very little advantage to sticking to a specific Chaos allegiance rather than the grand alliance. In that context Beastmen can be fun given how deceptively quick they can be, and that there's nothing to stop you running them in combination with a couple of heavier hitters. 

7 hours ago, Lavy said:

Use tzaangors, shamans, sky fires, and the thamateurge for now. Chances are the other chaos God releases will have more god-specific beastmen releases. Would be nice if tzaangors had the 'gor' keyword.

All varieties of Tzaangor DO have the gor keyword.  What we need is beastmen rules to start referencing GORS rather than brayherds.

If you like them go for it - don't listen to the "wait for the battletome" crowd. That would limit your army choices down to, what, five to choose from? They're likely to not get one for a long time, yeah, but they're still a fine army. They're all about fast movement and bodies.

I use them along with Legion of Azgorh, and they're amazing support. I don't know how well they'd do on their own, but I've found they capture objectives like nobody's business. With their 6" movement, plus 3" if they're near a shaman, plus running and charging with the Brayhorn, plus 1" on top of that run with the banner... these guys can cross the table no problem.

So look into them, but also look into combining them with other factions. I think that's where they shine.

I'd really love to see Beastmen get revamped with Be'lakor at the head, monsters and Slaves units sprinkled in but marketed as the "rogue" Chaos faction that is opposing Archaon. 

Make them a part of the Realm of Shadows and give them nifty movement (ala Chameleon Skinks) and save bonuses (reduce rend akin to Be'lakor's special rule but "lite"). 

Make it fluff that that faction is, aside from Tzeentch's own personal Gor's, unloved by the Chaos Gods and Archaon, thus Be'lakor takes them up to fight for his own glory, taking advantage of their dimwitted loyalty to their cruel masters. Throw in some new "Shadow" Furies and maybe "Shadow" Harpies as well, since the current ones are ten kinds of meh. 

I have had a great time. Their speed lets you get where you need and avoid slower foes. Even the warherds are fast with 7" move and plusses to charging. The warherds hit like a truck as well but are somewhat fragile. The brayherds are somewhat fragile but you can get hundreds of them at a time. I don't have enough to use the brayherd list I am looking at yet but the warherds have been pretty strong. So ya I would say you could wait for a battletome but if you like them I say go for it. They have appeared several times in the fluff so far. I definitely think they will be updated as their own thing as well as the different marked gors down the line but it could be a bit. In my opinion they aren't op but they are not weak either they are somewhere in the middle and if you do things right they can get some work done. They have pretty good synergy in the brayherds as well.

If you like them, then just go for it. :) 

I personally think they should never have been made their own faction, and like everyone above I really hope they get written into being a part of a chaos host again, complete with god marks – I think everything chaos should be able to be marked – it’s what makes chaos, well, chaos.

Obviously like Aspirant I really hope the story arc allows them to be fully integrated into a slaves host or similar and they get reboxed in nice big fat unit boxes.

The problem that beastmen had from a collecting point of view was that without the starter battalion box they were always expensive as they were a horde army and Bestigors were 25 notes a pop.

They’re still a fast army, and can still pack a wallop.  I’ve not had the pleasure of using them but I’ve played against them and they come up very quickly as Furious says.

They’re in the grand alliance chaos compendium so I have hopes that we’ll see them back good and proper at some point.  Lets face it, in every book that’s been out beastmen have been the staple cannon fodder of the chaos armies, so I’d like to hope that we can’t see them disappearing in a hurry.

The way I'd look at it is this, anything with a battletome has models which are fresh when it comes to synergies and buff mechanics when near this or within range of that.

Compendium armies have to work much harder as they inevitably might have a hero with a command ability of they're lucky - I know, my chaos dwarfs are one such army so I have to play them as an army when I move and battle with them rather than knowing that I have various units with a lynch pin character or unit in range to give them XY and Z.

It might be worth you reading the beastmen compendium warscroll as well if you're not considering tournament s and the like as the characters are richly detailed therin and might give you a better feel for them rather than just reading current warscrolls :)

I love how beastmen where his proper army because that way, GW fleshed them out, add characters and new units to them. Just like now its doing in Age of Sigmar with thinks like the new duardin, Fyreslayer, Sylvaneth, etc...

It will be a shame if the undivided (the chaosy) chaos was put aside. The Bel'akor idea is Ace in my opinion.  

And as I say in other thread. 

If you like the models, is always worth buying them :) 

Personally, I'd prefer to see vanilla Breyherd removed from chaos altogether, and re-branded as a primitive, savage Destruction army.

Obviously, this would also involve roping Warherds and the Monsters of Chaos losses (e.g. centigors, etc.) back into Breyherd.

27 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Personally, I'd prefer to see vanilla Breyherd removed from chaos altogether, and re-branded as a primitive, savage Destruction army.

Obviously, this would also involve roping Warherds and the Monsters of Chaos losses (e.g. centigors, etc.) back into Breyherd.

Something like that could be beautiful. Expand the destruction furry-men army beyond the Chaos influence. And yes, Warherd, Centigors, etc... never should have been sepatared.

4 hours ago, Galas said:

Something like that could be beautiful. Expand the destruction furry-men army beyond the Chaos influence. And yes, Warherd, Centigors, etc... never should have been sepatared.

Yea, it is an utterly bizarre split (assuming GW doesn't release something in the future that results in the decision suddenly making sense).

In fact, the whole Monsters of Chaos faction is strange to me. At least Daemons of Chaos can be made God-specific to essentially become part of DoT, DoN or DoK.

Monsters of Chaos, of the other hand, seem like the chaos misfits - the "None of the Above" faction.

I doubt they will expand those concepts. An army of Minotaurs will overlap with Ogres. Not that I don't actually like more a Army of Minotaurs than an Army of Ogres, and the Ogres are one of my favourite races of Warhammer.

But yeah, its more like arbitrary split of factions, just like all in the beginning of age of Sigmar. I'm glad to see that trend disappear with the newest Stormcast, Disciples of Tzeentch and Blades of Khorne battletomes. Bringing together those subfactions.

The Extremis Chamber of Stormcast just to have 2 units of dragon riders was totally absurd.

Archived