What armies can I safely collect

I dont think GW can be expected to keep rules constant so that a persons exact army works in the same way as it always did. People need to accept that. Otherwise your asking the game to remain stagnant.

The truelly safe armies(Although as mentioned army composition may change so if you only want the set models for a set army you may beout of luck) would be anything offically updated since the inception of AOS especially thw brand new factions:

New factions

Stormcast - Flagship faction very safe

Bloodbound - Supposed second place flagship faction - very safe

Fyreslayers - New for AOS - Very safe - however undergoing some blaance changes i belive??

IronJaws - New for AOS - Very safe

Sylvaneth - Had one of the later releases in whfb 8th edition nd incorporates old models with some new ones including a "God Tier" Model also had the first Matched play orientated battle tomb i think since it was released just before summer along with the generals handbook - Very safe

Tzeentch Arcanites - Unique to AOS- Adds a new faction and consolidates alot of old models. could be considred the first of the "3rd edition" battletombs (as in its the latest style of battletomb) - Very Safe

Kharadron Overlords - not even out yet - very safe

Oh and Everchosen - not goign anywhere but currently only consists of 3 model choices

Revamped factions

Seraphon - No new models but has fitted neatly into the fluff and is very jam packed with models - Safe - however may be in for a new battletomb in the near future.

Skaven pestilins - Same as above

Flesh Eater courts - Same as above - Perhps a few less model choices - may be affected by whatever death update comes along but all models are uptodate so should remain valid.

Bonesplitterz - Same as flesh Eaters

Factions in waiting -

These factions have all been put in the fluff but have no army updates or battletombs. While some models may be re ordered and distributed to new factions (Such as the black orcs becoming the Ardboyz for Ironjaws) there is also a chance that they may be just left alone.

e.g the new Duardin faction does not seem to incorporate any of the traditional Duardin even though they have been seen in recent AOS artwork. So its possibly that while they wont be scrapped they will simply be left as they are for the less matched play orientated players.

DEATH - most seem to think that mostof the death units will bekept as most are fairly upto date andhave been seen in the fluff. However in IMO the only ones i would class as safe from being neglected would be the deathlords as they were some of the last ET releases.

I wont do the whole list but should include everything i havent mentioned bar the stuff below.

compendium -

Not produced, not updated and not in the fluff in any direct way.

Tomb Kings

Bretonnians

Some of the older models from nearly all of the "factions in waiting

Its worth noting that most people are expecting a Death and a Aelf Realm of light  and an Aelf Realm of Shadow release soon. based on how the new duardin completely avoided their dispossed cousins i wouldnt be surprised if all or most of the Alef models arent included in the new faction releases.

Hope that helps

The answer to your question is two-fold.

1) Nothing is safe.

2) Everything is safe.

Depends on how you define "safe". 

If by safe you mean "the army I build today will both continue to be competitively viable within the Matched Play meta AND get new rules and models in the future" then nothing is safe.  The army you build today will either become less effective over time because nothing is added to it and its point costs change and the meta shifts away from it, or because so much stuff gets added to it that you need to add the new stuff to compete.

If by safe you mean "the models I purchase will continue to be supported within the rules" then everything is safe.  Literally nothing that has ever been given rules for AoS has been removed from the game, and there is no indication that anything ever will be.

On 3/19/2017 at 0:55 PM, Rhellion said:

Nothing is safe. I bought an entire Stormcast army for Adepticon and less than a month later a new Stormcast battletome was announced (a year after the first one) and invalidated the army build. 

If your army build hinges on one thing then that's on you.

I would like to add daemons. Being in two games makes them harder for GW to change.
Added bonus is that you only need one army for 2 games.

2 hours ago, DarkBlack said:

If your army build hinges on one thing then that's on you.

I would like to add daemons. Being in two games makes them harder for GW to change.
Added bonus is that you only need one army for 2 games.

"one thing" like the formation that includes the entire army? 

I mean, sure. You can settle for less effective. I usually don't.

18 hours ago, Rhellion said:

"one thing" like the formation that includes the entire army? 

I mean, sure. You can settle for less effective. I usually don't.

That is a single thing yes. Nothing against using a formation, but if your collection becomes "unplayable" without any particular one then figure it out.

Archived