Wood Elves

Trav

Hi all. 

Last couple of months I have been collecting and building a smallish wood elf army. These guys have been really fun to paint and play with so far.  I just wanted to share what i have done so far and track my progress.

IMG_4599.JPG

IMG_4600.JPG

IMG_4601.JPG

IMG_4594.JPG

IMG_4596.JPG

IMG_4597.JPG

IMG_4603.PNG

IMG_4604.PNG

Edited by Trav
  • Like 28

Always good to see another elf army - not too many of them around these days! Your choice of colours is excellent, the bright green and yellow gives the army a lovely summery feel.

Do you have any pics of the dragon? From what I can see it looks fantastic, and I would love to get a closer look :)

• Like 1

Cheers guys. I haven't seen a lot of wood elves in aos which is why I decided to build some. Pretty happy with the colours too. Wardancers are coming up next.

here are some close ups of the dragon. Just the highelf dragon with converted rider and green paint job!

IMG_4610.PNG

IMG_4611.PNG

IMG_4612.PNG

• Like 7

Wow! Really love the contrast of the bright green Wanderers marching through snow. I'm just getting into the hobby myself (by way of Total War: Warhammer, never done any sort of miniatures before) and had a similar idea for the Wanderer army I'm piecing together. Inspired by the Beastclaw Raiders lore, I see them marching into the heart of the Beastclaw's Everwinter that has claimed so many forests to kill the first Frostlord. Spring Is Coming!

Still a little nervous as I finish collecting and building and take my first steps into painting, this is great inspiration! Thank you!

Great unit selection too! You get the awesome maneuverability of the Glade Riders and Waywatchers but can still castle on an objective with Eternal Guard/Sisters of the Watch. Love the 'band of adventuring heroes' feel that the Wanderers' numerous Hero units give their armies.

Never would have thought of yellow for the magical fire of the Watch Bows of the Sisters, but it looks great! Seems it may fit the Wanderer color palette better than the blue carried over from their High Elven days.

Incredible work on the dragon. Rider has an Eternal Guard head and shield and... Wild Rider torso? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, awcamawn said:

Wow! Really love the contrast of the bright green Wanderers marching through snow. I'm just getting into the hobby myself (by way of Total War: Warhammer, never done any sort of miniatures before) and had a similar idea for the Wanderer army I'm piecing together. Inspired by the Beastclaw Raiders lore, I see them marching into the heart of the Beastclaw's Everwinter that has claimed so many forests to kill the first Frostlord. Spring Is Coming!

Still a little nervous as I finish collecting and building and take my first steps into painting, this is great inspiration! Thank you!

Great unit selection too! You get the awesome maneuverability of the Glade Riders and Waywatchers but can still castle on an objective with Eternal Guard/Sisters of the Watch. Love the 'band of adventuring heroes' feel that the Wanderers' numerous Hero units give their armies.

Never would have thought of yellow for the magical fire of the Watch Bows of the Sisters, but it looks great! Seems it may fit the Wanderer color palette better than the blue carried over from their High Elven days.

Incredible work on the dragon. Rider has an Eternal Guard head and shield and... Wild Rider torso? 

Thanks man. Yeah the snow is definitely different. Like the idea of the elves marching out of their realm to war across a snowy wasteland. I also did the same basing on my chaos army and thought it might be cool to match them.

And thanks, pretty happy with how the colours look together and always wanted to do flaming fire arrows.

wood elves have so many fun units and the characters are awesome- especially the waywatcher lord. Unfortunately they don't seem super strong in the game but they require skill and finesse (not that i have that much!) and are rewarding to play. It feels so awesome when everything goes right and all the tricks work! Plus they have a great feel and synergy.

yep you got all the dragon rider parts, easy to do and really effective.

good luck with your build and welcome to the game- it is so much fun

23 minutes ago, Stevewren said:

I'm a big fan of this little army. Really great use of the Eternal Guard parts. And I like the basing scheme - its very different from the usual schemes that you see which normally have a lot more of a woodland feel. Great job

Thanks man! It is only small but so much variety, got a couple more u its to paint shortly- sisters of the thorn and wardancers. Trying to get a wardancer lord but he is impossible to find!

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely army. Wood elves was my first army and it's the biggest one in my collection. It's so cool to se others do this army, especially now that the aelves are a bit in under par. 

Its amazing to see how well the gladeguard models are holding up through the editions. 

Great job

• Like 1

On 4/2/2017 at 7:18 AM, Baardah said:

Lovely army. Wood elves was my first army and it's the biggest one in my collection. It's so cool to se others do this army, especially now that the aelves are a bit in under par. 

Its amazing to see how well the gladeguard models are holding up through the editions. 

Great job

Thank you. 

It does seem pretty hard to win with these guys but they are so fun to play.

yeah the gladeguard are great models, I love them

• 3 months later...

Definitely one of the best looking armies. Fantastic idea with switching the High elf dragon into a 'forest' dragon! 

I'm wondering - why are you saying that it's hard to win with these guys? Are the units luckluster in comparison with the more modern AOS armies or do you mean that your force is not yet finished therefore lacks synergy?

I'm starting to build an army of wood elves myself soon so actually I'm pretty interested how they come up in comparison with let's say Stormcasts or other AOS factions. In the end I'll probably end with mixed Sylvaneth / Wood elves army using the behemoths from Sylvaneth (Durthu) and adding a number of archers or other smaller units / heroes from WE (Nomad Prince!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samanar said:

Definitely one of the best looking armies. Fantastic idea with switching the High elf dragon into a 'forest' dragon! 

I'm wondering - why are you saying that it's hard to win with these guys? Are the units luckluster in comparison with the more modern AOS armies or do you mean that your force is not yet finished therefore lacks synergy?

I'm starting to build an army of wood elves myself soon so actually I'm pretty interested how they come up in comparison with let's say Stormcasts or other AOS factions. In the end I'll probably end with mixed Sylvaneth / Wood elves army using the behemoths from Sylvaneth (Durthu) and adding a number of archers or other smaller units / heroes from WE (Nomad Prince!).

Thanks! They are really fun to play with. It can be hard to win against stormcast due to their fragile nature. They just take a lot of skill to make sure you stay out of combats you dont want and to make the most of shooting. Many people add sylvaneth as they are harder to kill. I prefer to play pure wanderers as i find it a fun and cool force to use.

in saying all this, i havent played a huge amount of games with them.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...