Starting Deathrattle army soon-need advice!

Kosmion

Hey

In gonna make a pretty big order from http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/ 

as they seem to be the cheapest one around. Im aiming for a very basic force wich enables pretty basic synergies. The shopping list so far consist of:

start collecting skeleton horde x1

skeleton warriors x2 (already have 1 box assembled, so in total i will have 40x skeletons)

grave guard x1

wight king x1

necromancer x1

the idea is to magnetise Arkhan/Neferata/Mannfred and if possible the Black knights/Hexwraiths to give me more options.

this will give me a cirka 1k list and i think it seems like a good starter force.  So what do you think, anything i should add or remove? Feel free to comment!

thanks

Maybe this is not apropiate. Have you think about Mantic's skeletons? They literally cost 8 € less for the double of models (25€ for 20 skeletons of Mantic vs 31€ for 10 skeletons of GW. And they are alongside Zombies one of the Mantic miniatures that are objetively better than GW ones) . That way you can afford money and use it to buy other heroes or more Graveguard to bulk your force.

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/undead/8004-undead-skeleton-regiment-20

They are even cheaper that I tought. But if you prefer GW, go ahead. To me the diference in look (And to me the Mantic ones are actually superior) ist just no worth a diference in 0,75€ per skeleton of Mantic vs 3€ per Skeleton of GW. They are horde troops, If i need like 40-60 I prefer to have them for 1/4 of the cost.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/287352.page

You have here a comparasion. The scale its no problem, you can mix them with your GW ones and no one will notice. As you see, a weapon and skull swap and they are indistinguible. 

In the Graveguard vs Mantic Revenant I'll give you that, the GW are much cooler. But normal skelletons? Not in my opinion. 

But, its your money! Spend it as you want! This was just my advise, this way you can have 40 skeletons for 30€ instead of 20 for 50-55€. Those 20€ can go in other units or heroes. Or just save you some money.

No disrespect... but maybe don't?  Death is the most lacking army at the moment and it may behoove you to wait until they get an update and/or re-release.  

Then again, I am a Spacemarine and Stormcast player lol.  Always like GW's posterboys as they are always current and with the newest tech.  Death is appealing but I would expect an update later this year and would hold off on pulling the trigger at the moment.  If money and hobby time is no concern though, go nuts!

For Skeletons, buy an army off of eBay. There's little reason to pay for new boxes.

Ill also warn about Mantic. If you just want bodies, it's fine. If you want bodies with personality, I'd say skip. I assembled Zombies and Ghouls and both kits basically made the same 4-6 dudes over and over again. Really boring, especially considering how similar both Mantic Zombies and Mantic Ghouls look to one another.

There was an old GW box that was sold when Sigmar's Blood came out that would have made a perfect Deathrattle SC (20 Skellies, 10 GraveG, 5 BKnights, and a Wight King). I don't think you'll find it, and if you do it will likely be expensive.

one thing i would say about none gw models is, are you planning on playing and if so where? Because gw stores (understandably) dont allow none gw models.  Same for some tournaments. just something to bare in mind - it may not matter where you are at all

On 3/17/2017 at 6:43 PM, Lord Aquillor said:

No disrespect... but maybe don't?  Death is the most lacking army at the moment and it may behoove you to wait until they get an update and/or re-release. 

Mate that is simply not helpful. If you feel the need to lurk other forums and dissuade players away from other armies, then please just don't go on them. It adds nothing to the discussion.

Now, Deathrattle are my personal favourite subfaction because who doesn't love a horde of shambling Skeletons, aye? I'd say the best foundation for a budding Deathrattle player is the Legion of Death Battalion. It comprises a Wight King, a Grave Guard unit, Black Knights, and 3 Skeleton Warriors. I'd say that you're right on track for it so far, and it brings nice benefits including a bonus 4" move in the Hero Phase, and extra regen, both so long a you're within 9" of the Wight King. With the Wight King's Lord of Bones ability you can make the units pretty nasty in combat, and the extra 4" move means they've got a better chance of getting there. It's vulnerable to him being sniped, but still pretty solid.

Throw a Necromancer in that and you've got a pretty nasty force. Range the Black Knights ahead of the group with Lord of Bones and Danse Macabre from the Necromancer, and they'll tie something down while doing an appreciable bit of damage. Follow-in with the Grave Guard buffed in the same way, and they'll generally chop whatever ails you into fine mince.

I'd recommend picking up the Wight King with Black Axe model at some point as well, because he's a cool attachment that spreads Deathless Minions around, is surprisingly nasty in close combat, especially against multi-wound models, and is also a really cool model.

9 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Mate that is simply not helpful. If you feel the need to lurk other forums and dissuade players away from other armies, then please just don't go on them. It adds nothing to the discussion.

Wow, no disrespect, but that was advice.  OP asked for input and I provided it.  I know that from my perspective, some of the older models look dated and there is a lot of news flying around about a Death update.  Especially with it being Adepticon at the moment, we may hear any minute.  Seeing as how some people do not have the financial resources to invest in everything, a little patience could yield greater results. 

But don't mind me... I'll just be lurking in the corners over here. :P 

1 hour ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I'd recommend picking up the Wight King with Black Axe model at some point as well, because he's a cool attachment that spreads Deathless Minions around, is surprisingly nasty in close combat, especially against multi-wound models, and is also a really cool model.

Krell! its the Almighty Krell, lord of Undead! Rejoyce in how awesome he is!

If you read the link in the store its still "Krell-lord-of-undead" :D 

I think that when they relaunch undead he will be discontinued and will receibe a new model as the Mortarch of Despair (If I'm correct) that he was in the End Times. So if you plan to buy him, better now than latter! The best model of all the Chaos and Vampire Counts range in all the old warhammer fantasy battles. Period.

1 hour ago, Lord Aquillor said:

Wow, no disrespect, but that was advice.  OP asked for input and I provided it.  I know that from my perspective, some of the older models look dated and there is a lot of news flying around about a Death update. 

It's not advice. If I'm browsing a Nissan dealership for a family car, I don't want to hear how economical the new Toyota Hilux pickup from the dealer on the other side of town is. By the same token, if someone wants to collect Deathrattle because they like it thematically and are stoked to collect them, then comments like your's are completely unhelpful.

2 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

It's not advice. If I'm browsing a Nissan dealership for a family car, I don't want to hear how economical the new Toyota Hilux pickup from the dealer on the other side of town is. By the same token, if someone wants to collect Deathrattle because they like it thematically and are stoked to collect them, then comments like your's are completely unhelpful.

Dude, remove the chip from your shoulder.  You don't get to dictate what is helpful or not.  If the OP doesn't want or take my advice, so be it.  Your attitude just discourages people from taking place in a meaningful discussion.  Telling someone (Who may not know) that Death is a bit dated and may be receiving an update is helpful in my opinion.  But I am done engaging you as you seem to lurk here in attempts to stir up conflict with those who disagree.  Please leave me be. 

@Kosmion : I am a big fan of some of the fluff surrounding Death. I haven't read a lot yet but the small amount I have bodes well for the faction.  If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, I would still wait until the end of this week.  Could be some amazing Death stuff announced at Adepticon.  The quality of sculpts GW has been releasing lately blow everything else out of the water. :) 

While the lack of support IS something of a hassle, what death units there are are pretty good, so you can make a perfectly fun and playable army out of them while waiting for future updates.

Deathrattle in particular has a lot of variety - especially if you can get your hands on or convert some of the more obscure tomb kings units that fall under that keyword, or at least thematically coincide with it (chariots, archers, horsemen, necropolis knights, warsphinxes, tomb guard, catapults).  Pure deathrattle allegiance armies don't really work above the 1000 points level, though, due to the lack of range in character options (only wight kings and tomb heralds, no wizards, no monstrous heroes to provide survivable generals in bigger games).

A big units of warriors, a couple small units of chariots, some necropolis knights, and some buffing heroes (mummies or wights, a herald, necromancers and liches, in big games maybe settra or a royal sphinx) will do you pretty well in most settings, even with the recent points hike on settra, royal sphinxes, and necroknights - used to be settra plus 2x6 necroknights was the thing to beat, now you'll have to cut back to 2x3 knights, or 1x6, and leave settra out altogether in smaller games.

Archived