Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire

Garxia

Looks like we have a new game based in AoS setting coming, and its targeted for competitive play!

This is a new game, set in the Mortal Realms during the Age of Sigmar. It has been designed specifically for competitive, organised play, to support our growing community of gamers out there. For the moment, pretty much all we have in terms of detail is the cryptic video above, but you’ll be hearing much more about this new game, and seeing some of the new miniatures, very soon…

It's all semi - hidden at the end of this article: 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/15/a-new-race-descends-on-the-mortal-realms/

Colour me interested...

WHUW_shadespire_box_lid_Content.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in the rumor thread

Calling it now it's going to be death related in some form if it is I will buy it and it's most likely going to be a new mordheim of sorts. Hell it's got underworlds in the title and nagash literally lives in the underworld. 

Very interested in this product above all others. GW has never made a competitively focused game and this goes against their previous stance of being a miniatures company first (in a good way). Hopefully this game will encourage more growth among players with the same mindset as me and AoS can continue its path. Hard to force one game down multiple paths.

3 hours ago, Gauche said:

Very interested in this product above all others. GW has never made a competitively focused game and this goes against their previous stance of being a miniatures company first (in a good way). Hopefully this game will encourage more growth among players with the same mindset as me and AoS can continue its path. Hard to force one game down multiple paths.

They need to be just a bit careful with it. If it's something like mordheim or even like a guildball type deal that would be amazing. If it's a rank/file combat game...meh, won't effect me at all, if it ends up as something too similar to normal sigmar matched play but...wordier, it'll be a problem.

I'm hoping this'll be a Mordheim-esque game intended to fit into the same gameplay niche as Heroclix, Infinity and to a lesser extent Warmachine. Handful of models per game with a progressive release and update

I also think it could be Shadowkin vs Death for the start, also makes sense lore wise that Nagash can have a problem with Malerion. 

That would leave Tyrion's Elves vs Slaasnesh (as twins were the ones who captured him as I remember correctly) 

25 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I also think it could be Shadowkin vs Death for the start, also makes sense lore wise that Nagash can have a problem with Malerion. 

That would leave Tyrion's Elves vs Slaasnesh (as twins were the ones who captured him as I remember correctly) 

Or we could just let Slaanesh stay caged up forever, or better yet kill it off entirely!

15 hours ago, Jamopower said:

I would guess that this is something akin to X-wing. So you have a small table/mat, few minis and few cards. Perfect for small tournaments in stores.

This is exactly my hunch too. It will be a skirmish game but never as we have seen it before. The battlemat will be the last rumour we saw, the most recent rumour is also likely terrain and the old rumour of "Death WHQ" probably stems from this too.

I am massively excited. A small scale but incredibly tactical game is a fascinating idea and something I have always wanted to design myself. Elements of a CCG meets something like X-wing as you say. It could have list building, deck building, and dice and miniatures as we love.

So so excited! :D 

23 minutes ago, Dez said:

I'm wondering why Matched Play was picked out in particular, really intrigued.

maybe it was because at heart GW want AoS to remain popular and fun without drifting into an ocean of super competition lists and mentality.  Perhaps this allows both itches to be scratched, as then the tournament guys who love the competition and mechanics but aren't too fussed about the hobby can get on and just game - low model count etc, whilst at the same time, if they feel there is a cool model for AoS they can just buy it because it's cool and not feel they have to over analyse.

Archived