Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

It's really kind of an inevitable result.

Take Old World Dwarfs.  Separate the Runesmiths into one sub-group and the Engineers into another.  Let thousands of years pass.  Voila - Fyreslayers on one end (total conservative stability), sky-pirates on the other end (radical experimentation and progression).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, VBS said:

Might not be a popular opinion around here, but I'm not too impressed. The models themselves are great sculpts with amazing details, really like the infantry for example.

However, the whole aesthetic is a miss for me. Maybe it's coz I'm generally not a steampunk fan or that the Admiral looks like a Tech-Priest, but overall, it's not really the kind of image I get from AoS. I think most of these minis could even look better in w40k, which makes me wonder. Not to mention how far off the regular Dwarves they are (both Fyreslayers and Dispossessed).  Sounds like lack of cohesion to me and a bit too over the top.

I probably wouldn't buy these models either but I love what they represent: anything goes in the mortal realms, and GW is taking this crazy high fantasy ride as far as they can. Maybe the next outlandishly awesome concept will be more to our liking? :)

Those dwarfs are not Sci-fi. Heck! Even 40k its not Sci-fi. Warhammer 40k its Space Fantasy (Or Science Fantasy but I don't think that either)  because, you know, they haven't real science in it. 

Its not even Hard Sci-fi vs Soft Sci-fi. 40k its not Sci-fi in any shape or form. 

And this dwarfs are not Sci-fi either. They are Aether-punk. Steampunk+Magic. 

Please, learn to use the terms correctly! 

Just now, Galas said:

Those dwarfs are not Sci-fi. Heck! Even 40k its not Sci-fi. Warhammer 40k its Space Fantasy because, you know, they haven't real science in it. 

Its not even Hard Sci-fi vs Soft Sci-fi. 40k its not Sci-fi in any shape or form. 

I'm glad I wasn't the only one annoyed by mixing up Steampunk with Aetherpunk, haha. I'm thinking with liberal application of glow effects, these guys will look even better.

43 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Welcome to the world... of Sci-Fantasy! 

I-it's my favorite genre.

30 minutes ago, VBS said:

However, the whole aesthetic is a miss for me. Maybe it's coz I'm generally not a steampunk fan or that the Admiral looks like a Tech-Priest, but overall, it's not really the kind of image I get from AoS.

It's fine, if you don't like something. I think some annoyance might come that we're seeing an evolved style, while some people were basing expectations on the old line. I sort of gambled on new elves being similar to the old High Elves and even bought them from e-bay. I'm still excited to see the new style/theme for aelves, however I don't think the old lines/themes will look that well with whatever GW is going to introduce next.

16 minutes ago, Galas said:

Warhammer 40k its Space Fantasy (Or Science Fantasy but I don't think that either)  because, you know, they haven't real science in it. 

I'd definitely add "opera" somewhere there. I don't think calling these dwarfs "sci-fi" or having a "sci fi vibe" is inaccurate, it's just a rather broad label to work with.

Regarding the look and "too sci-fi" / "too 40k" - I predict it will all grow on people in no time. I remember when Stormcasts came out, lots of people hated them for the same reasons. But hating on "too much detail" etc just seem crazy - it's basically "I wish the models were smaller/worse like I remember". Just buy the old models!

28 minutes ago, Galas said:

Those dwarfs are not Sci-fi. Heck! Even 40k its not Sci-fi. Warhammer 40k its Space Fantasy (Or Science Fantasy but I don't think that either)  because, you know, they haven't real science in it. 

I ‘ve just shamelessly plagiarised this post

New can be OP, but it doesn't equal OP.

Not saying this applies to you, but too often the "new is OP" crowd really just doesn't want to to have to learn, and when their old gimmicks fail vs new stuff, the only way their egos can deal with it is to reject the idea that they have underperformed and claim that their new opponents are cheesy. 

Short Version: "I lost to the new stuff.  It's OP."

22 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

New can be OP, but it doesn't equal OP.

Not saying this applies to you, but too often the "new is OP" crowd really just doesn't want to to have to learn, and when their old gimmicks fail vs new stuff, the only way their egos can deal with it is to reject the idea that they have underperformed and claim that their new opponents are cheesy. 

Short Version: "I lost to the new stuff.  It's OP."

If course it doesn't have to be that way. It is just more likely. Because new armies often means new gameplay mechanics and the dev's desire to make the new ones extra cool puts them towards the stronger side. Which means the new stuff is likely to be strong. Not necessarily the strongest, but usually among the strong. That's just normal and not the end of the world.

And yes, what you wrote is also true. No established tactics against them makes them even stronger, but that fades away quickly. What stays is the other stuff.

Regarding OPness - hopefully they are balanced and play tested against current battle tomes like stormcast, Tzeentch, BCR etc. Regarding all the other factions from the grand alliance books - hopefully (and this has been hinted) you will see an across the board points reduction for units that aren't currently competitive in GH2, which is perhaps only a few months away. So even existing duarden may get a buff soon

1 hour ago, Druchiilord94 said:

I hate this aesthetic and it makes me dread what they will do to my elves and undead :/

Well GW said the mortarchs and nagash will be the asthetic for undead in age of sigmar hence why they kept all the gothic looking miniatures.

3 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

It's really kind of an inevitable result.

Take Old World Dwarfs.  Separate the Runesmiths into one sub-group and the Engineers into another.  Let thousands of years pass.  Voila - Fyreslayers on one end (total conservative stability), sky-pirates on the other end (radical experimentation and progression).

Yep, agreed. Look at the helmets on the new models and compare them to the Irondrake helmets. Look at the designs of the shoulder pads and compare them to the Hammerer shoulder pads. Look at the screws and compare them to the gyro models. If feels absolutely like dispossessed that have taken a different path and turned certain Duardin traits up to 11.

Personally I love the look and cannot wait to get my hands on them, but can understand people not liking it. Importantly though I think this shows that AoS is not going to be simply Warhammer Fantasy with round bases - everything is turned up to 11 and is new and different. 

Additionally I think from a business point of view provoking some kind of reaction is very important. People buy because they love something, so you need to have a range which people will LOVE even if that means some people end up hating it.

I have had to swallow my pride and admit I jumped the gun when I said I disliked them. They are definitely growing on me and the bits I dont like I will be converting to look more how I envision them. I briefly hopped off the Hype train for an icecream and to use the toilet, but im back.

3 minutes ago, mhsellwood said:

Yep, agreed. Look at the helmets on the new models and compare them to the Irondrake helmets. Look at the designs of the shoulder pads and compare them to the Hammerer shoulder pads. Look at the screws and compare them to the gyro models. If feels absolutely like dispossessed that have taken a different path and turned certain Duardin traits up to 11.

Personally I love the look and cannot wait to get my hands on them, but can understand people not liking it. Importantly though I think this shows that AoS is not going to be simply Warhammer Fantasy with round bases - everything is turned up to 11 and is new and different. 

Additionally I think from a business point of view provoking some kind of reaction is very important. People buy because they love something, so you need to have a range which people will LOVE even if that means some people end up hating it.

Yeah, so much this, there's room for all the dwarfs in the mortal realms! If you want bitter-grumbly dwarfs, you can still take dispossessed, if you want angry-naked dwarfs, you can still take fyreslayers. If you want engineering gone bonkers flying sky pirates, you can get those too!

The funniest thing is that I was just considering starting to make some goblin sky pirates, but I'm totally getting these dwarfs instead!

37 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

I have had to swallow my pride and admit I jumped the gun when I said I disliked them. They are definitely growing on me and the bits I dont like I will be converting to look more how I envision them. I briefly hopped off the Hype train for an icecream and to use the toilet, but im back.

One of us! One of us! One of us!

38 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

Trust me a lot of people were like you and had to process it. 

Archived