Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

Huh, not what I was expecting to see when I logged into TGA today ;)

They're honestly far too sci-fi/steampunk in nature for my tastes, but I will say this: the sheer detail and quality of this release is astounding. GW is doing some amazing stuff with plastic these days!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Huh, not what I was expecting to see when I logged into TGA today [emoji6]
They're honestly far too sci-fi/steampunk in nature for my tastes, but I will say this: the sheer detail and quality of this release is astounding. GW is doing some amazing stuff with plastic these days!

My thoughts exactly. They're intriguing and I have that new release tingle but it's tzeentch for me. Curious to see some rules and see how many mortal wounds all those guns put out.

Have to say I'm on the fence. I have been a dwarf player since 2008 and these are slowly growing on me. That being said, love the video! Anyone have any ideas where to find music like that :P. Going to go watch some Black Sails in prep for some Dwarf Sails!

So having watched the video... a few times it does show a few new options. First, all of the air ships have alternative turret weapons - the Gunhauler has a cannon and ram (maybe), the frigate and the ironclad both have cannon and harpoon turret weapons. Additionally the Skyriggers have the harpoon + pistol option (also a gatling gun), as well as a nail gun + stabby fist (also a harpoon gun) option. They also have different helmets so maybe a completely different unit type?

Those airships are SO much better than blocky gyrocopters. The way they chose with the design is just perfect.

Some people would like most things in Warhammer to remain the same they were, just + new models. It didn't work. We know that already. If it had, we wouldn't be having AoS right now. Sales were poor. People were bored with all this Dwarf-Human-Elfs classic for 30+ years the same. But hey, dispossessed are still to be bought if you like your classic dwarfs. At some point we might see them having new models.

Nah, not my style.

A shame i was getting quite into dwarf sky pirates.

I really like the boats but the Infantry line kills it for me.

And those round balloons are silly. ?

Still it's great too see something different that i am used to, and I'm sure they will be perfect for some of you weirdos ;)

I do know a guy that might like them :D

I am a bit torn:

First I didn't like their aesthetics, after a second look I am fine with the machines I guess.
Steampunk is OK, perhaps the robot parrot is a bit overdone but OK. A bit of The Elder Scrolls Dwarves, and a bit of Guild Wars 2 Charr in there, not too bad.

What I kinda dislike is the lack of faces. Sure, they are probably easier to manufacture, easier to paint (especially for bad painters like me), and they do look kinda cool. But it makes the models very impersonal.
My initial reaction was: "Great. More Sigmarines". That's a bit unfair of course, Dwarves always liked a lot of armor and they did have a lot of full helmets before. But not ALL of them. I like those beards and stuff.

What I also kinda dislike are the jetpack guys. IMO they don't look too great and in my mind dwarves =/= mobile. For me Dwarves means Artillery, thick armor, nice melee, some shooting, low move.

As for the competitive guys among us: I expect them to be kinda uber, I understand power creep because GW wants to sell models, no problem with that, but look at Stormcast: Good at everything. I think that's what we will see from those new Dwarves as well. Good armor, lots of mortal wounds, shooting and melee, good movement, not relying much on magic because magic sucks in AoS anyway.

=> Tournaments 2017 consisting solely of Stormcast, Beastclaw Raiders, Kharadron, Sylvaneth, Death armies using Mournghuls, Tzeentch and perhaps Skaven.

(yes, I am exaggerating a bit, don't hit me. :D )

Bottom line: I do kinda like the new Dwarves, but I had hoped for something else.

anyone read Jim Butchers Cinderspires books(s). Seems the design team has :) i love these. I actually did a home made armybook during 7th edition for steampunk GNomes, and it against my better knowledge I like to believe that GW took a look at that too. Im definately buying all of these. and im making one airship for my Long drong slayer pirates. This has been one of my plans for years but the lack of a good airhip has put me off it until now.

I see no problem in mixing in som e other duardin units With this faction. especially the irondrakes and the cogsmith fits perfectly With the estetic i think.

20 minutes ago, Sete said:

Nah, not my style.

A shame i was getting quite into dwarf sky pirates.

I really like the boats but the Infantry line kills it for me.

And those round balloons are silly. ?

Still it's great too see something different that i am used to, and I'm sure they will be perfect for some of you weirdos ;)

I do know a guy that might like them :D

the good thing is they look really easy to convert, and the there is rules now to allow the proxies to be used if you dislike these models. 

7 minutes ago, Aginor said:

What I also kinda dislike are the jetpack guys. IMO they don't look too great and in my mind dwarves =/= mobile. For me Dwarves means Artillery, thick armor, nice melee, some shooting, low move.

Unfortunately this is usually very uninteresting on the battlefield, for both players.

As a side subject, the reason I like these more than the 8th ed dwarfs that I didn't like at all, is because they don't have any beard. 95% of the cad-sculpted beards on plastic models look horrible.

Perhaps its just the "oooh new shiny" but i seriously love these guys. Sure some of its over the top but thats what high fantasy is isn't it? The mortals realms were almost made for this weird and wacky stuff, cause its a whole new setting where anything can happen. 

Ive been a destruction player since day 1 of getting into this game, and while the other tomes surely tempted me i never broke fron the waaagh train. These guys are seriously pushing that xD. 

Looking forward to picking the Battletome up and seeing exactly how they rumble and fit into the background.  I'm loving the fact it's a brand new faction and concept.  I do think I'll need to pick up a decent brass metallic paint if I decide to pick some up ;) 

There is lots of competition in the low fantasy space not least from gw's own lotr minis. The last release of dwarves (not counting fyreslayers)  was only three years ago. Unlike some of the other ranges,  there is not much left in metal. Avatars of war have a pretty big range of dwarves that are all pretty good sculpts. 

Going in this direction expands the playerbase.   The whole reason to end the old world is to throw out the old concepts and start fresh. I like Aos because of the potential for bonkers ideas like this. If I wanted something more restrained I could play lotr or the Perry's historical stuff or the upcoming game of thrones game. 

Things like a flying tophatted Duardin and robot parrots are exactly what I am looking for. 

I understand it may not be to everyone's taste but the best parts of warhammer have always been this for me. Mechanical horses, tanks powered by steam,  giant wheels full of rats, candles in hats, dwarves with giant mohicans, goblins on hungry space hoppers etc.

3 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Looking at the skyships more closely, there don't appear to be many - if any - obvious parts in common between them. Maybe it'll be three kits?

They're definitely three different size ships: Arkanaut Gunhauler, Arkanaut Frigate, and Arkanaut Ironclad. 

The more I look at these models, the more I can feel myself shelving my Nurgle Army when they're painted. I am definitely getting the two-handed hammer hero to paint, regardless. I just love his wee eyes and moustache. 

Archived