Sylvaneth Spells in Hinterlands

aslum

Question

I played a game using the Hinterlands rules last night and it was a blast. My friend plays Sylvaneth and she seemed interested, but was a bit disappointed because as I understand it, since the Sylvaneth spells are an Allegiance ability they wouldn't be available ... So no summoning Wildwoods. Did I misread that section, or is it possible?

3 answers to this question

Hey Aslum, your assumption is right that they are not allowed. The main reason for this is that there will be a lengthy FAQ required for every allegiance ability (not just Sylvaneth) to get them all working with Hinterlands, and there just wasn't space to give them all a section in the core rules.

There is no intrinsic game balance reason for them not being in, so what I suggest (if you are keen) is to come up with 2 new command traits for a Sylvaneth general to pick. In the core rules one command trait is a force multiplier and one makes the general better in combat. Maybe you could take from one of the many Wyldwood spawning spells and abilities to create the force multiplier one and you could take something like the oaken armour for the other. Once you have put it together play test it a bit and let me know how you get on - if it works well I would be happy to share it in the main Hinterlands thread. 

The idea is that the core rules need to be kept simple and elegant but there is lots of opportunity for the community to add on extra stuff. I would love to see special Hinterlands command traits for all the sub-allegiances like Sylvaneth, Tzeentch, Stormcast etc etc and think the community could do a better job than me at putting it together! So this is actually an open invitation to anyone reading the thread, if you would like something to be in Hinterlands that currently isn't, then go out and make it! :D 

27 minutes ago, aslum said:

I played a game using the Hinterlands rules last night and it was a blast. My friend plays Sylvaneth and she seemed interested, but was a bit disappointed because as I understand it, since the Sylvaneth spells are an Allegiance ability they wouldn't be available ... So no summoning Wildwoods. Did I misread that section, or is it possible?

The best person to ask is @bottle. The designer of the ruleset :) 

Archived