Scions of the Storm

Nubgan

Question

Couldn't see whether this has cropped up already or not, Does Scions of the Storms apply to every unit in the Stormcast book, OR does it only apply to warscroll battalions that say they can use the rule?

Been getting confused with all the chatter in different Stormcast threads where people say everything can deepstrike when only some of the more expensive warscroll formations say they can use it specifically.

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, BURF1 said:

It applies to every unit in an army that has a Stormcast eternal allegience. It is their allegiance ability sort of like deathless minions, rampaging destroyer, or getting a free wyldwood.

This is the answer.

Maybe the confusion came from reading about the megabatallions that come with Scions built (regardless of allegiance) in and gain lightning strike when they are also in an army that has a Stormcast Eternal allegiance.

On 14/03/2017 at 8:13 PM, BURF1 said:

It applies to every unit in an army that has a Stormcast eternal allegience. It is their allegiance ability sort of like deathless minions, rampaging destroyer, or getting a free wyldwood.

Am I correct to assume that by every unit you even mean the Celestant Prime? His 'Retribution from On High' ability seems to contradict this by saying you can choose when to bring him down? Or maybe I'm interpreting one of them incorrectly.

You can choose when to bring Celestant Prime down using his Retribution from On High ability.   Alternatively you could use Scions of the Storm on him if you chose to I suppose. as he does have it due to the allegiance.  One does not cancel out the other, he simply has both as I understand it.  I see no contradiction.

I guess what I'm struggling with is that because he's in the celestial realm Scions of the Storm forces you roll a dice for him each turn. Scions doesn't allow you to choose weather or not to roll for him. If the roll is a 3+ you must bring him down. However Retribution from On High says you can choose to bring him down or not.

For example, if roll a 5 am I forced to bring him down due to Scions of the Storm or can I choose to hold him back due to Retibution from on high?

Actually ignore my previous post. I've just realised that the Prime is in the celestial realm because of retribution on high not because of Scions of the Storm. I can see now why you therefore aren't forced to roll for him.

Sorry for the confusion, it's been a long day!

6 minutes ago, Jharen said:

This would be handled at deployment.  When you deploy Prime you state if you are deploying him using Scions or From on High as that is when those abilities are used - at deployment.  Then follow the rules as usual.

Thanks for the reply. One last thing, would it ever be possible to use Scions on him as Retribution from on high says you must use it to place him in the celestial realm?

I imagine not due to them both being deployment abilities and From on High being mandatory with Prime.  However the argument could be made I suppose that it could be used as nothing strictly says that it cannot be used.  Honestly - it's a question of little importance I'd suspect.  I mean really why would you want to use Scions on him?

edit: on second thought, no you could not as both of the rules refer to 'instead of setting him up'.  So in that case From on High would win out as it is not optional whereas Scions is.  My apologies - I don't have the Stormcast book in front of me atm so I'm going off memory,

13 minutes ago, Jharen said:

I imagine not due to them both being deployment abilities and From on High being mandatory with Prime.  However the argument could be made I suppose that it could be used as nothing strictly says that it cannot be used.  Honestly - it's a question of little importance I'd suspect.  I mean really why would you want to use Scions on him?

edit: on second thought, no you could not as both of the rules refer to 'instead of setting him up'.  So in that case From on High would win out as it is not optional whereas Scions is.  My apologies - I don't have the Stormcast book in front of me atm so I'm going off memory,

Many thanks for clearing that up for me! Just trying to get things straight in my head in case I come across something similar.

Archived