Tzaangor Management's Painting Projects

Making very slow progress through my planned 1000 point army, but thought I would start a progress log to help keep myself motivated and to pick up some tips and advice from more seasoned painters. I have built 10 Tzaangors, 1 Ogroid Thaumaturge, 1 Gaunt Summoner and have three skyfires in sub assembly, as they're more complex.  The plan is to add another unit of Tzaangors, or possibly Warriors of Chaos, and a unit of Enlightened to make the force up to 1000 points

The story I've sketched out for the army is that, as part of one of Tzeentch's far reaching and unfathomable schemes, they were ordered to wait inside a cave system, until such time as they were called upon by their god, or one of his lieutenants. The length of time that they've been in the cave, waiting and feeling forgotten, has meant that they have mutated into a group of murderous hunters, ideally suited for hunting prey in the dark. Tzeentch, in his infinite wisdom and Machiavellian patience, has decided that the time is right and has dispatched one of his Gaunt Summoners to collect the Forgotten Coven and to use their new found nocturnal prowess to launch night time raids on key strategic order bastions.

Always appreciative of feedback and criticism.

Tzaangors Crop (3).jpg

Tzaangors Crop (4).jpg

Tzaangors Crop (5).jpg

Tzaangors Crop (6).jpg

Tzaangors Crop (7).jpg

Tzaangors Crop (8).jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, dark grey is a hard colour to get right but you have cracked it, I think your steel would benefit from a Nuln oil (black wash) around the hilt and handles to bring out the detail, looks like you have already done one coat but lost a bit of definition after the drybrush/layer work.

Great looking models.

55 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Was hoping for Vampires, but hey, birdmen are cool I guess. :P

Really liking the paint scheme, and the bases help give them an unearthly vibe as well.

Same here I was expecting Vamps :D

Cool use of the spures to make gem Stones, and a simple yet very good bases bravo.

Nice painting but I would wash the metals more.

Thank you all for the kind comments and really appreciate you taking the time to give the feedback. 

2 hours ago, Crowsfoot said:

Very nice, dark grey is a hard colour to get right but you have cracked it, I think your steel would benefit from a Nuln oil (black wash) around the hilt and handles to bring out the detail, looks like you have already done one coat but lost a bit of definition after the drybrush/layer work.

Great looking models.

I did indeed wash the metal with Nuln Oil and then added a fairly think layer of Stormhost Silver on the whole of top sections of the various sword and axe blades to try and create a contrast between the top and bottom sections. Perhaps I should wash again and just highlight the edges?

43 minutes ago, Durant said:

Same here I was expecting Vamps :D

Cool use of the spures to make gem Stones, and a simple yet very good bases bravo.

Nice painting but I would wash the metals more.

Thanks very much. Being new to the hobby and having shelled out a fair bit for paint, brushes, models, etc. I was overjoyed to find a basing tutorial on YouTube that used pieces I was going to throw away!

Still trying to get an idea about where I'm heading with the metals. As above, would you add a wash and a highlight, or maybe just a wash?

Think another night in with Duncan videos might be needed too. I wonder what everyone did before YouTube?!

Lookin' good.  I appreciate the backstory to any army, so glad you included one!

I'm trying to go with a grey skin tone as well, but these models have intimidated me so I went back to BCR for awhile. :P 

Once I get the stones I'll come back with a vengeance!

Edit: Also really dig that orange fur colour with the dark grey skin.

3 hours ago, Tzaangor Management said:

Thank you all for the kind comments and really appreciate you taking the time to give the feedback. 

I did indeed wash the metal with Nuln Oil and then added a fairly think layer of Stormhost Silver on the whole of top sections of the various sword and axe blades to try and create a contrast between the top and bottom sections. Perhaps I should wash again and just highlight the edges?

Thanks very much. Being new to the hobby and having shelled out a fair bit for paint, brushes, models, etc. I was overjoyed to find a basing tutorial on YouTube that used pieces I was going to throw away!

Still trying to get an idea about where I'm heading with the metals. As above, would you add a wash and a highlight, or maybe just a wash?

Think another night in with Duncan videos might be needed too. I wonder what everyone did before YouTube?!

I would add wash then when dry I would drybrush it with a old brush, then perhaps subtel highlight, but I am not the best painter ther is ;)

Here is my latest offering, as well as updates based on the feedback on weapon hilts. After this most recent week, I'm definitely considering re-titling this post, not just to ensure that I'm not offending any Vampire lovers out there, but also to highlight mistakes that I suspect are pretty common to new painters. Hopefully forewarned is forearmed for others, or, if it's just me making such mistakes, then at least we can all laugh at the stupidity together!

First up, slightly increased definition on the weapon handles of the Tzaangor. This is without doubt the most interesting spot the difference you will see today:

58c91dea7f67b_TzaangorsHilt15_03_17.jpg.79fbe578214a41260cbb1dba877b25e7.jpg

The first Skyfire and these really are beautiful models, but definitely require more planning than I did. I hadn't planned the weapon colour ahead of time properly and initially painted them orange, but that didn't really make sense and took away from the contrast between feathers and skin. I then base coated them white again, which I did after finishing the cloth and skin, so got some white spots in places... I then managed to wash the white in a different blue to the one I'd used on the cloth and then painted the feathers purple. This just added another colour to the mix, which wasn't really needed and so I went over them again with orange that I gave a slight pink highlight too. 

I got there in the end and I learnt a number of lessons painting this guy, so will take that as a huge positive.

58c9197feedfa_Skyfire15_03_172.jpg.3c1104eb0a5d49804d8c6772ceb715de.jpg

58c9197d2641d_Skyfire15_03_171.jpg.c1d393e4e64b92debc5f17eb7bab2e3a.jpg

The one thing that I need to figure out though is how to hold guys in place when they're not stuck to their bases. You can see on the leg below where I have rubbed away some of the paint by blue tacking him to the base and occasionally holding him in place with one finger. 

58c91982c60f8_Skyfire15_03_173.jpg.88afdb01034563f1bf9db515cbda26d0.jpg

Thanks for the tips and feedback so far, I'm learning lots as I go and really valuing the input.

Family Picture!

Group Shot 2 Crop.jpg

I can spot the difference a mile off!

Very nice work again, couple of ways to hold models while you paint.

1. pin vice and drill a hole in the foot glue a piece of wire in and push into a wine cork

2. glue one foot on a bit of old sprue and just cut off when painted.

These are looking really nice :) Good to see more grey tzaangors before I dive in with it! I would advise you thin your paints a little more, looks a bit thick on the skin. Also I like the bow colour, though if you aren't certain consider doing a dark metallic bronze or gold. You could also use this darker colour instead of your current gold, it won't compete with the other brights then.

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

These are looking really nice :) Good to see more grey tzaangors before I dive in with it! I would advise you thin your paints a little more, looks a bit thick on the skin. Also I like the bow colour, though if you aren't certain consider doing a dark metallic bronze or gold. You could also use this darker colour instead of your current gold, it won't compete with the other brights then.

Thank you sir and yes, the thickness of my paint is certainly uneven at best. I think that this is in part to do with how much I have on the brush at any one time as well and so am looking at thinning all of my paint down further and using less at a time on the next three Tzaangor (who're primed and ready to go). I also find that the light colours seem to dry out quicker, so am going to try using a medium rather than water on this next batch on the grey highlights and see what difference that makes.

1 hour ago, Crowsfoot said:

I can spot the difference a mile off!

Very nice work again, couple of ways to hold models while you paint.

1. pin vice and drill a hole in the foot glue a piece of wire in and push into a wine cork

2. glue one foot on a bit of old sprue and just cut off when painted.

Yes, I liked the difference it made and has made me think about washes and the different ways they can be used a little more as well. Great tip on the use of sprues too, has the added bonus of being chopped off an turned into a crystal for a base later in the process!

Thank you for the input as always.

5 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Have you considered a wet palette? I've had paint last overnight without drying and its just old blister pack, baking parchment and kitchen roll

Have heard the phrase, but not seen one in the flesh, or otherwise. Will have a look at what it entails and give it a shot, as I certainly find the whites, grays, yellows, etc. have a habit of drying out mid-model. Nice one.

36 minutes ago, Tzaangor Management said:

Have heard the phrase, but not seen one in the flesh, or otherwise. Will have a look at what it entails and give it a shot, as I certainly find the whites, grays, yellows, etc. have a habit of drying out mid-model. Nice one.

Wet palettes are very useful in my experience, and so easy to make.  I use an old plastic box that used to have GW turf in, put kitchen roll in the bottom and add water until the kitchen roll is nice and wet.  Then simply put some baking parchment over the top of it and you're away.  

Great work so far.  If I could offer a bit of advice - be careful how much shade / wash you're putting on your metallic areas at once.  I can see that some areas have pooled a little, whereas some of the silver (such as the symbol on top of the Skyfires tabard) don't look like they've been washed at all.  It could be the light though.

55 minutes ago, Changer said:

Wet palettes are very useful in my experience, and so easy to make.  I use an old plastic box that used to have GW turf in, put kitchen roll in the bottom and add water until the kitchen roll is nice and wet.  Then simply put some baking parchment over the top of it and you're away.  

Great work so far.  If I could offer a bit of advice - be careful how much shade / wash you're putting on your metallic areas at once.  I can see that some areas have pooled a little, whereas some of the silver (such as the symbol on top of the Skyfires tabard) don't look like they've been washed at all.  It could be the light though.

I have just spent my lunch hour watching some informative and occasionally entertaining videos on how to make wet palettes, so will certainly be giving that a try later.

You're right on the washes in general and more specifcally on the difference between the tabard symbol and the armor. The Symbol is only very lightly washed and has no Leadbelcher as a base colour, beneath the Stormhost Silver. The armor trim has had a much heavier wash, as well as a Leadbelcher layer beneath. The difference was down to me changing my mind on the colour of the symbol and then trying to cut a corner. The slightly heavy wash is me trying to figure out the correct amounts to use.

I'm learning how versatile the washes are each time I paint something, I am also slowly, very slowly learning patience...

Thanks for the tips!

Very cool and very moody, with a great backstory, I like the colourscheme on these guys way more than the official Eavy Metal one.

Can't wait to see a unit of Chaos Warriors (or even Chosen) painted in the same theme if you choose to add them to the force. Any idea how you'd do them? Murky colours with dust on their armour or subtle conversion work and glowing eyes to suggest haunted suits of armour?

54 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Very cool and very moody, with a great backstory, I like the colourscheme on these guys way more than the official Eavy Metal one.

Can't wait to see a unit of Chaos Warriors (or even Chosen) painted in the same theme if you choose to add them to the force. Any idea how you'd do them? Murky colours with dust on their armour or subtle conversion work and glowing eyes to suggest haunted suits of armour?

Thanks very much. I really liked the armor of the standard GW ones, but not the skin tone so much, or, rather, not the combination of the two. Think that skin tone works really well with different coloured armor.  

I definitely want to add some Chaos Warriors and am eyeing a Slaves to Darkness Start Collecting box as my next purchase. In terms of scheme I'm thinking grey armor similar to the Tzaangor flesh tone, edged with light grey and blue, with the odd orange accent. A white fur cape with a bluish-greenish shade over the top of the fur... Basically matching the Tzaangor, but I wonder whether they should have another colour to make them stand out... 

They have a lot of different textures and are big and hulking, where the Tzaangors seem a bit more lithe and agile. Thoughts or experience adding a slightly off faction element, with a slightly different feel?

That would certainly make for dark, brooding, menacing warriors. Something I was considering if I was to put warriors in with my tzeentch is using stormcast and giving them kairic acolyte heads, weapons, and shields. The armour fits tzeentch's aesthetic better. Also you could use the new palladors as chaos knights and we all know tzeentch loves birds!

8 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

That would certainly make for dark, brooding, menacing warriors. Something I was considering if I was to put warriors in with my tzeentch is using stormcast and giving them kairic acolyte heads, weapons, and shields. The armour fits tzeentch's aesthetic better. Also you could use the new palladors as chaos knights and we all know tzeentch loves birds!

That is a damn fine idea. Those Palladors are really nice looking models and definitely should have been part of the Tzeentch alliance. Some shield and helmet swaps might just be enough... Now i want to swap every model's head for a Tzaangor head...

I was considering adding some feathered fetishes to the Warriors and Knights to give them the hints of orange and to tie them to the theme better than just adding orange as a colour somewhere.

When are you starting your army Souslmith? I really want to see Bird Knights! 

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the stormcast much since I'm far too hipster to play the poster boy, but the palladors and Lord aquilor are gorgeous so I'd happily make chaos knights and a Lord from them. Dunno how good they are for a DoT list though, like warriors cost the same as tzaangors and tzaangors are fantastic. Maybe I'll do some tzeentch chicken knights just for the hell of it. I'm starting some tzaangors in a couple weeks when the last entry for a local competition is done. I find it good to take a break and do a project during something big to stop getting burned out on the same old colours and things so I'll get back to finishing my 1k ironjawz after but then I'm doing 1k tzeentch. Still need a list...

Archived