Starting a thread to keep progress with my AoS/Hinterlands warband anecdote hopefully keep neck motivated to finish. 

The fluff i had in mind is as follows;

The leader is a venerable glade lord and skilled hunter who travelled with a great army to the realm of shadow. His army got destroyed wiped in a mighty battle and he himself dies only to awake in a great forest. Driven mad by isolation he comes to the self realisation he has been reforged by Sigmar in order to defend this beautiful but seemingly rarely inhabited forest of the touch of chaos. He binds the creatures of the forest, wolf and hawk alike, to his will hunting down groups of chaos warriors and mercenaries and putting them to the sword. Except the creatures of the forest are not bound to him through the spirit of the forest but through his shared bloodlust for he is not reforged by Sigmar but touched by the same Soul Blight as the vampire that he thought had slew him. He wanders not in a grand forest hunting chaos, that is all in his troubled mind, in reality he haunts the ruins of an old cathedral in a barren wasteland where he fell, preying on travellers and pilgrims and feasting on their mortal souls aided in the slaughter by great carrion beasts.

so in attempt to follow that kind of vibe I'm aiming to crest something's more like a macabre wood elf warband than one with a classic undead feel.

It is a super cool backstory, with an amazing model and scenic base to go with it!  Sounds like a flesh eater court, though perhaps his aelfish nature keeps him from being twisted and grotesque like a normal one.  Will he have some corrupted sylvaneth or maddened wanderers as followed, or will it just be him and creatures of the night?

14 hours ago, Uruk_Guy said:

It is a super cool backstory, with an amazing model and scenic base to go with it!  Sounds like a flesh eater court, though perhaps his aelfish nature keeps him from being twisted and grotesque like a normal one.  Will he have some corrupted sylvaneth or maddened wanderers as followed, or will it just be him and creatures of the night?

Yeah I wanted his isolation to be key so I'm going to do some dire wolves and fell bats ect.

11 hours ago, Zhorphorus said:

What did you use to make this ? It's amazing

Hi, the main model is the Eldar Visarch but there's tree revenant parts and dark Eldar scourge wings on there too. The base is made from osgiliath ruins and the candles fro my spears. 

A masterful and original conversion that I eagerly await accompanying paint. It has a very ominous mood that I could see some great character deriving from. OSL from the candles, dark catacomb/pillars.  

Those tree revenant heads really work amazingly as vampires, better then the GW defaults.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Uruk_Guy said:

Wow those antler wolves are great!  Awesome bases too.  Whatcha cooking up for the varghulf?

Thanks mate. Not sure on the Varghulf yet got a couple of part built bits but I'm actually tempted to work with a 40k model cos so far everything I've done for this warband uses one as a base

WIP Varghulf conversion. I tampered with using feathered wings to help with the fluff of it being some kind of wild beast but in the end I felt like membrane wings were a better fit and gives me a chance to mirror the skin tones on its chest. Used a 40k model again which is becoming an unintentional theme.

IMG_6129.JPG

IMG_6131.JPG

IMG_6132.JPG

7 hours ago, Old Woden said:

WIP Varghulf conversion. I tampered with using feathered wings to help with the fluff of it being some kind of wild beast but in the end I felt like membrane wings were a better fit and gives me a chance to mirror the skin tones on its chest. Used a 40k model again which is becoming an unintentional theme.

IMG_6129.JPG

IMG_6131.JPG

IMG_6132.JPG

That looks amazing. 

Quick suggestion: in the last picture it looks like you can cut of the rocks under his hand and feet. Then by moving him forward a little bit you could position the back leg onruins while the left hand grips around the edge. 

Might give your model a bit more interaction with the base. But again, it looks inspired. 

The varghulf's looking amazing, though the head still looks glaringly like a Clawed Fiend's. Are you planning on swapping it out/sculping anything onto it or just disguising it with a suitably moody paintjob? Antlers to match the dire wolves would look really cool, a friend of mine has a unit of Slaaneshi trolls (no, really) converted out of clawed fiends and they look really great with horns.

Spoiler

0SGSdiC.jpg

2 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

The varghulf's looking amazing, though the head still looks glaringly like a Clawed Fiend's. Are you planning on swapping it out/sculping anything onto it or just disguising it with a suitably moody paintjob? Antlers to match the dire wolves would look really cool, a friend of mine has a unit of Slaaneshi trolls (no, really) converted out of clawed fiends and they look really great with horns.

Reveal hidden contents

0SGSdiC.jpg

I weighed it up but I was worried it would be too much. Do you have a photo of your friends conversions by any chance? 

• 2 weeks later...

WIP Fell Bats/Bat Swarm. Trying to keep with his fluff by making a creatures of the forest/more natural than undead feel but obviously tried to link them in by using more Ruins on the the base. This is pretty much all I'm going to do modelling wise so far, next I'm going to start painting what I've got. 

IMG_6286.JPG

IMG_6287.JPG

17 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Amazing work, what are you building the ruins from?

They're reconstituted sections of the Ruins Of Osgiliath kit. GW did have (not a sure if they still do) have a bundle of 3 sets with a discount on them.

Archived