Chaos Dwarves with green skins?

PVG

I was looking at doing a classic Chaos Dwarf army as part of a painting project but I also wanted it to be general's handbook legal (and maybe tournament legal). I checked the War scrolls and it has a bunch of Hobgoblin models which should be used as Goblin alternatives. Does that mean when making a Chaos Dwarf list those units are part of the units you can pick from or only that if you have them you can use them as "proxies" in an open play game?

If I can't make it tournament legal I would still like to work on it as a hobby project. I like the idea of Chaos dwarves marching off a bunch of Goblin slaves just as a painting project if nothing else.

Just because no one's straight out said it: those suggestions from Forgeworld of substitute warscrolls for Hobbos are completely useless in matched play battles, as all grots have the Destruction allegiance rather than Chaos. Similarly, and annoyingly, the Hellcannon lacks the Legion of Azgorh keyword.

There have been some emails floating around from Forgeworld staff about both saying "yeah sure, consider them as having the [relevant] keyword until we can FAQ it" but prepare to be mocked if you ever try to use this as justification.

Once again, Chaos Dwarfs are a little "out in the wilderness" but that's nothing new. We march on with pitiless contempt in our hearts!

Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!

13 hours ago, PVG said:

I was looking at doing a classic Chaos Dwarf army as part of a painting project but I also wanted it to be general's handbook legal (and maybe tournament legal). I checked the War scrolls and it has a bunch of Hobgoblin models which should be used as Goblin alternatives. Does that mean when making a Chaos Dwarf list those units are part of the units you can pick from or only that if you have them you can use them as "proxies" in an open play game?

If I can't make it tournament legal I would still like to work on it as a hobby project. I like the idea of Chaos dwarves marching off a bunch of Goblin slaves just as a painting project if nothing else.

It's very simple @PVG, the models suggested as alternatives by FW in the back of the Legion compendium all have the 'chaos' keyword instead of their own.

@Roark the hellcannon is considered to have the Legion of Azgorh keyword - I asked the question to FW and posted it in the legion of Azgorh mega thread.

I have to disagree, an email is still a legally valid document and therefore has validity.  It'll be up to the event organiser to make the final decision, but that as far as I'm concerned is an official justification.

10 hours ago, Durant said:

hm what would be the best proxie warscrolls for hobgoblins and black orcs?

So according to the Legion of Azgorh compendium on the Forgeworld Site;

Hobgoblin Khan  = Goblin Warboss

Hobgoblin Cutthroats = Goblins

Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders = Goblin Wolf Riders

The difference is in that they will have the keyword 'chaos' rather than 'destruction'.

The black orcs had already broken free of their chains by this point.

After all they were bred for war and to work relentlessly without tiring. Unfortunately they also managed to breed unwittingly a great independence and unfortunately for them had managed to unwittingly concentrate and refine the orcish trait of battlelust to new heights together with a steadiness of will and a mental clarity  - not cool for slaves.

After their creation they began to revolt, until such a point that Zharr-Naggarund itself became a battleground.

The Drath Zharr were very nearly wiped out were it not for the hobgoblins turning on their kin (as is their nature to double cross and backstab).

I have a dream where Black Orruks get a unique warscroll (not Ard Boys). Even after the revolt, the CDs still used them as mercenaries for a bit, right?

As for FW's terrible editing of their Warscrolls, I do go by emails - double Fireglaive damage on 5s and 6s especially. Nobody's contested it. And honestly, if someone does contest it even after I present them with word directly from Forgeworld, I'm not that obsessed with winning that I'll yield, and then probably never play that person again if they're going to be that person.

Anyways, if you want to proxy Black Orruks, I suggest Chaos Warriors, maybe Chosen? Bestigors could also work. You're free to use them to fill whatever role you please at this point. As for Grots, again I wouldn't contend you using the Goblin warscroll replacing Destruction/Gitmob with Chaos/Legion of Azgorh, but I think you might run in to a few people who would, and probably most tournaments. I don't know - try contacting some local TOs and asking them if they would allow it?

Sorry Kaleb, but a Forgeworld staff member's email has zero authority in a world where we have published FAQs and errata. Find me a major tournament that accepts staff emails as rules and I'll happily PayPal you a pint of your favourite beer.

Well, I've asked them and the staff member I spoke to didn't know and they're going to get back to me. I'm still good for that pint, but what you're describing is a looooong way from any kind of official ruling.

So, the last time I was at throne which was in the last days of 8th and oddly enough the email from fw was a chaos dwarf related question we brought with us.

we showed it to the team who said fair enough.

In your case, I just wouldn't bother. Just wait for an faq or a new campaign book which may likely never happen.

ultimately we're a compendium army so I'd just be grateful for whatever scraps you can get from the forgeworld table.

if tournaments are the ultimate goal then perhaps don't look to the legion as an army but just as some units to fill the gaps in a grand alliance. That way problem solved.

Well, basically they said "not to our knowledge, no" to my questions, but they recommended contacting the rules team via the Facebook community page.

By the way, thanks for your awesome army writeup on CDO. Very helpful and positive.

Archived