Ironjawz Fluff Question

BrAiKo

Hi guys, predominantly Chaos player here but interested in some Ironjawz in the near future.  

I realise the answer to this is probably explained in the Ironjawz battletome but I'll ask here anyway, given I don't have access.

What exactly are the Ironjawz?  And my this I mean, what kind of orruks/orcs?  Are they a separate race/species again, kind of how black orc and regular orcs were different?  I had assumed they were an army of 'black orcs' but it seems that is not the case.  The Ardboyz are essentially 'black orcs' as they are meant to be bigger and tougher than standard greenskinz.  But then it describes them as 'the only other orruks tolerated by the ironjawz'.  As such it seems the Ironjawz are a step up again in the orc toughness scale.   I'm guessing my answer to what type of orruk they are is simply 'Ironjawz' since there is no previous equivalent.  Anyone able to give some insight?

Essentially, orrucs appear to get bigger and meaner the more they fight. Ironjawz are the orrucs that have been fighting through the age of chaos killing stuff and getting buff. 

I guess they likely started off like are boys and as they got bigger the more fights they won. 

To begin with, the "Black Orcs" of the Old World are no more. The original fluff had it that they were the result of a breeding program by the Chaos Dwarves. Some of whom broke free and spread to the rest of the world, others remained slave-soldiers of the Chaos Dwarves. 

Dat Warhammy World done got smashed. Roit proppa.

In the new 'verse, the Ironjawz are a distinct orc tribe, albeit one with multiple branches across all the known realms. They're the biggest, meanest, fightingest orcs of them all. Orcs from the other tribes instinctively respect them and regard them as leaders or elites and may follow them on campaigns... But the only non-Ironjawz tribe orcs that the proper Ironjawz really see any use for are the 'Ardboyz, who are basically the second biggest, second-meanest, and second fightingest orcs around.

Over in the 40k 'verse, it's been long established that the Ork Clans (Bad Moons, Goffs, Blood Axes, etc.) are a sort of parallel social organization within Ork society. Age of Sigmar seems to imply a similar thing with the Bonesplittas and Ironjawz tribes. All orks are born orks, but some are born Goffs or born Snakebites or whatever... All orks start out as boyz, but with time and experience (and lotsa fightin') they can rise to become Bosses, Nobs, or even Megabosses. 

In Age of Sigmar, it appears to work similarly. All orcs are born orcs, but some are born Bonesplittas or Ironjawz or Ardboyz. You start life as a basic Boy or Brute or whatever, but can rise in status.

It's not explicitly stated I just go with an Orruk starts as an Orruk and then gets bigger and meaner the more they fight and win with the most successful becoming Megabosses.

Bonesplitterz are more defined as ordinary Orruks who have become infused with the power of the Waaagh and transformed. Somethkng I think could work for Ard Boyz becoming Brutes (and I've used in my own Waaagh's narrative). The Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz models do share a more upright posture than the older models so do share more commonality in appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ironjawz is an orruk tribe that fought constantly during the Age of Chaos, and grew bigger and stronger than other Orruks because of it. Ardboys are not Ironjawz - they are the biggest, meanest and most heavily armored Orruks from other tribes that are drawn in by the Ironjawz strength.

Other Orruks cannot become Ironjawz, because they are not part of the Ironjawz tribe.

12 hours ago, Galas said:

When a Ironjawz defeat Archaon in battle, come back and report to papa Grim'gor.

Grimgor Ironhide is one of the Ironjawz. No, really, its one of his keywords and everything.

As much as I love the story (so far) for Gordrakk, I'm hoping we see the return of the orc so badass he's defeated Archaon twice. Even if GW retcon'd one of those defeats. 

Grimgor Ironhide is one of the Ironjawz. No, really, its one of his keywords and everything.
As much as I love the story (so far) for Gordrakk, I'm hoping we see the return of the orc so badass he's defeated Archaon twice. Even if GW retcon'd one of those defeats. 

It happened they can't take it away.

He also had the greatest trash talk in the End Times.

"Grimgor Sez shut up and die"

to a pontificating Archaon.

He also has Grim in his name but that might not matter to other people [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12.3.2017 at 4:51 AM, Thain said:

To begin with, the "Black Orcs" of the Old World are no more. The original fluff had it that they were the result of a breeding program by the Chaos Dwarves. Some of whom broke free and spread to the rest of the world, others remained slave-soldiers of the Chaos Dwarves. 

Right, but within the fluff - talking audio dramas now - it is pointed out that the Ardboyz are "black" or "dark skinned orruks". So yeah, they are still black orcs.

Ironjawz are in some way a "creation" of Archaon, because he tried to crush them and kept sending armies. The Jawz fought them and krushed em in turn, that's why they become bigga and stronga and ended up being da best. Oh I love them.

In general it seems that Greenskinz are fungus even in AoS, but I don't think it is stated anywhere for sure.

2 hours ago, Anaticula said:

In general it seems that Greenskinz are fungus even in AoS, but I don't think it is stated anywhere for sure.

Oh god, I hope not. The fungus thing works (barely) in the science-fantasy setting of WH40k, I'd really prefer for the high fantasy AoS to eschew that bit of wackiness.

2 minutes ago, Thain said:

Oh god, I hope not. The fungus thing works (barely) in the science-fantasy setting of WH40k, I'd really prefer for the high fantasy AoS to eschew that bit of wackiness.

I think they were fungi in the World-that-was too...

Well, it got kinda of ambiguous after WH40k eclipsed the original Warhammer in popularity. But throughout first to third edition, orc females were canonical (and even had models) as were "half-orcs," bred of human and orc mating. 

4 minutes ago, Anaticula said:

I must say that I prefer the idea of non-sex Orcs, their whole fluff and culture makes just more sense this way.

Agreed, I'm fine with fungus being some kind of explanation. Whilst I like to create the idea they do more than just war in my own fluff, I don't see them having children or legacies they care about.  Also I am painting savage boar boyz atm, and they most certainly have no genitals :P

IMG_0536.JPG.7eb830d238c164acbe12eb85f9115517.JPGit's 40K but I like it. 

Female and Half Orcs did indeed used to be a thing it didn't get mentioned after WFRP/3rd Ed though. Best to keep it all ambiguous otherwise it gets a bit Fanfic, no call for that sort of behaviour on the battlefield anyway. 

I'd prefer it it if they didn't go all 40K on it though as I rather like Orcs, Goblins and Squigs being there own separate spieces. The more I think about it the more I like the thought of the different type of Orruk being separate spieces.  

12 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

It definitely took me a lot of battles and even more battlebrew to earn the title of Megaboss.

I figure I should probably read the fluff in the Ironjawz battletome at some point though! :S 
I assume Megaboss Krunk is the focus of most of it? ;) 

The debate has morphed, weirdly, into where the AoS orruks are birthed from....

I guess if ogres are like onions then orcs could indeed be like mushrooms.

In the case of Krunk I'd assumed he began as some type of potent alcoholic substance, matured over a long period of time in a colossal barrel until the mixture coalesced and he just erupted from it, heavily clad in armour?

I don't like the new(ish) "orcs don't build" bit of fluff either. Because, dagnabbit, I want to build myself an orc castle! 

Warhammer Siege was my favorite way to play WHFB back in the 2nd/3rd/4th edition era when I was most heavily involved in the hobby. I want to try to recapture that magic in our wonderful new world of laser cut MDF, 3D printer bitz, and skirmishing bases.

Archived