What are the worst Warscrolls and Why?

Ben

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the Warscrolls I've played with I would say Mighty Skullcrushers.  Bearing in mind each consists of a heavily armoured Blood Warrior riding a Juggernaut of Khorne which is a mount made from living metal and burning blood.  Together they are described as an unstoppable force capable of smashing through units like a living battering ram... I just find the actual warscroll rules don't really represent this with a 50/50 chance of causing D3 mortal wounds :S

Can't think of any bad scrolls per se but there are deffinately a number that are pointed out of usefulness. Be interesting to see where GHB2 finishes. 

Scrolls I don't like and therefore are worse to me are any unit that gets more attacks for bodies rather than bonuses to hit and wound. It's very dull both playing with and against someone rolling a ton of dice that once the dust settles has done hardly anything. This is from someone using ghoul patrol at the moment to. 

So crypt ghouls, bonesplitterz bows would be on the list.

War machines also don't seem to fit anymore in the realm like they did in the world that was. So thematically these can go on the hit list too. 

I agree that warscrolls that incentivize you to roll 100+ dice are bad design since it makes the game longer and less fun. Making few dice rolls easier to succeed would be much better. (And all my armies tend to have this design. I like horde armies but I hate sorting out hit rolls from 100+ dice.)

I also don’t like that shooting seems to get longer and longer threat range which makes it less tactical from both sides i.e. hunters, skyfires etc…

And I don’t like the rules design on the thundertusk (especially huskards). I like to see them on the table but I don’t like the 2+ 6 mortal wounds mechanic. So rather than raising the points I would like them to have 4+ and 6 mortal wounds or something. Or maybe it is the threat range that is the problem again, make the range 6”

Heavy elite cavalry like Gore Gruntaz, Skullcrushers, Bloodcrushers, I would say Blood Knights also. As @Ollie Grimwood and @RuneBrush noticed - the charge impact isn't as powerful as it should be, compared to models and fluffy description. Especially the Gruntaz are overcosted, as they tend to be a 15 wounds 4+ save chaff unit after their meaningless charge.

Dragon ogres were indeed bit of a disappointment when I first got a charge with them and checked how hard they hit, the enjoyment died quickly :)

Besides that, I would say chariots in general. For example Tiranoc chariot is nothing but equal to two Ellyrian reavers without the shooting bonuses, they should have improved save as minimum and bit scarier charge benefits (though they don't necessarily need to be as in 5th edition d6+2 s7 hits were :P). For something like elven chariots, some shooting benefits could work as well. It should be easier to shoot from a chariot than from a horseback.

Weirdnob Shaman.

Ignoring the cost under GHB, you have a spell caster where one of the spells on his warscroll is so difficult to cast that it is hardly worth it. factor in the fact that if, when casting ANY spell, and you roll a double you take D3 mortal wounds immediately.

I love the fact that Skullcrushers/Juggernauts and Gore Gruntaz got the first mentions. As somebody who ran Demigryphs in a list I always envied these warscrolls as they get so much more damage and survivability for less points. 

200 points for 12 wounds of Demigryphs. They move an average 10" and can re roll saves of 1 in the combat phase. But in terms of damage, the riders have too few attacks to cause any impact with their below average statline and criminal lack of rend. 

The mounts can scratch out a lucky wound from time to time with their rend but ultimately they're hogwash. They deserve better.

I love the fact that Skullcrushers/Juggernauts and Gore Gruntaz got the first mentions. As somebody who ran Demigryphs in a list I always envied these warscrolls as they get so much more damage and survivability for less points. 

200 points for 12 wounds of Demigryphs. They move an average 10" and can re roll saves of 1 in the combat phase. But in terms of damage, the riders have too few attacks to cause any impact with their below average statline and criminal lack of rend. 

The mounts can scratch out a lucky wound from time to time with their rend but ultimately they're hogwash. They deserve better.

They're certainly really overpriced, they do represent what they are supposed to be though a price drop and they'd be pretty reasonable.

I do rather like Skullcrushers though (especially in a Brass Stampede).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah cavalry in general seems so weak and ineffective, which is a real shame. I'd put the standard Bonesplitter Savage Ork Boyz in this as well, they're a lot of wounds, but other than that they're just so meh. 

In fact, Bonesplitters in general were incredibly weak and easy to roll through whenever I've played against them. Other than Arrer Boys they just don't seem to do much. 

One of the things I liked the most when AoS dropped was that anything could kill anything. Now it seems that more and more models become more difficult to wound (stone horn halve wound stuff like that). It was one of the things that felt so refreshing and now it seems* that battles turn into more of a slug fest. It's probably fineness as is but it's feels to me like a trend which worries me. 

Agreed on the chariots and cavalry comments. 

I do think tweaking the artillery and crew separaration a bit could also be a good thing. Maybe giving them a single profile although consequentially it could create overpowered synergies. But won't know until you try I guess  

* granted this is mostly from watching battle reports as we don't have a lot of that in my friend group

Varanguard have perhaps the biggest gap between coolness of models and viability in lists.

Terrible Shields (cf normal Chaos Runeshields - let alone Dracoth Knight Shields).

Keyword mechanic is cool except it's tied to a 700 point hero who is only viable in DoT, which they cannot join.

The list that comes out as 2020 points if you use them as Battleline is infuriating.

Even the DoT book doesn't resuscitate them.

Yeah cavalry in general seems so weak and ineffective, which is a real shame. I'd put the standard Bonesplitter Savage Ork Boyz in this as well, they're a lot of wounds, but other than that they're just so meh. 

Orruks are absolute filth for their cost! They are cheaper wounds per model than Moonclan Grots.

Archived