how do you deal with Mornghuls?

bb1234

The vanguard Angelis with 4 squads of hunters all popping in within 9" but outside of 6" shooting twice should do about 9 wounds to one.

That's very hard and very situational to pull off, but if you can do it, then that followed by some more shooting should put one down in a turn, granted you are leaving everything else alone to do that, but yeah, it can (statisticly) be done

I throw everything at it...

• Magic with Arcane Bolt, Comets of Cassadora (Hurricanum)
  • Shooting: Storm of Shemtek (Hurricanum), crossbow/handgun shots, Beaming Light (Luminark)

It's important to kill it in one round and not let it get into combat and regenerate.

On 3/9/2017 at 11:16 AM, Gauche said:

Is the new Vanguard Unit with the Hurricane Crossbows a solid option? Their profile seems about right and their range isn't bad.

This.  I can't think of a better way to deal with ignoring rend and multiple saves than Raptors with Hurricane Xbows.

A unit of six that hasn't moved is shooting 54 times.  Some of those wounds are bound to get through. 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:37 AM, Ollie Grimwood said:

I've found that Mournguls are a bit of a distraction piece if not used well, one that you expend a lot of resources trying to kill when you should be scoring objectives. Unless you can turn out a lot of burst damage just tie them up with your chaff and concentrate on the rest of the army. With a bit of thought you can tie them up with far less points worth of stuff.

Definitely agree with this. Mournghul's are strong no question about that, but at the end of the day they are only one model. I prefer to tie them up using chaff or by controlling their movement by placing units I know my opponent isn't going to risk his 400pts against. After that it's all about objective points and major victories. I will admit I have never killed a mournghul this way, but never lost against one either.

Stacking negatives To Hit seems like it would work as well. Double Relictors seem really good for SCE to me, not just into this. Ranges could be a bit dicey but there's ways around that. Any kind of debuff seems to really hit the model hard. Being able to downgrade the Deathless Minion Save and prevent buff stacking on it is also important, which means Alpha Strikes or guns.

Spreading them out is also viable in some Scenarios, Mornghuls are usually in pretty elite armies and they can have issues with Objectives. Kill everything you want, I'll take the Major Victory. :P

Archived