Is Sacrosanct Chamber the Devoted of Sigmar?

Aelfric

I like the idea of a force to deal with undead.

Sigmar, in my mind anyway, has a distinct overtone of Odin with his Warriors slain in battle taken to to Valhalla to fight at Ragnarok.  With this in mind, Freya also had a Field of Warriors and took half the slain Warriors and also took women who had died a noble death.  She also practised sorcery that was about divination and shamanism, especially involving the spirit world.  She is also considered to visit battlefields as a Valkyrie.

It is possible, therefore, that the Covenant Chamber could be loosely based on this, with an all female army with magic specifically designed to oppose the undead and Nagash.  It is possible that Alarielle had some input into this as she is the Goddess of Life and was helping Sigmar.  Nagash was also helping, I think, and it could be that discovering this is what caused him to break away.  I'm not hugely knowledgeable about the fluff so happy to be corrected.

I agree that it would make them distinctive and different from the rest of the Stormhost - and great fun to play..

• 10 months later...
On 3/8/2017 at 3:52 AM, Ruben said:

Ruination chamber? Oh boy. No man, let's not do the reforging thing. Let me inspire you... SIEGE WEAPONS. Stormcast titans with shoulder ballistas. Stormforge Titanicus anybody? 

I think the new Lord-Ordinator warscroll answered your prayers.

On 3/6/2017 at 8:41 PM, Aelfric said:

This Chamber could be for those Stormcast who have barely a shred of humanity left, not enough for another reforging.  unable to continue as Eternals, they are stripped of their immortality and given one more chance to die in glorious combat for Sigmar against his enemies.The Divine essence within can then return to Sigmar to be recycled into new Stormcast Eternals.  Of course that would then beg the question; are there Stormcast out there in the realms who have slipped the net, lost all their humanity and gone rogue and, with their humanity gone, no longer bound to Sigmar's Will.  Are they loners or are they drawn to each other to form a brotherhood bent on creating their own vision of an ordered universe?

Is a cool idea! if done right of course. Would be a great thing for a shadespire/warhammer quest set up. 

54 minutes ago, Kako said:

And it also fits the last MP short story "To Truly Excel".

Check out the Malignportents.com site because their are two more! And yes it does. But in general you can almost always fit one idea to another, especially an 'endless' and magical setting such as the realms of AoS

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, Kako said:

As Sigmar opened the Sacrosanct Chamber today, I thought it would be fun to get back this thread. How about those models? I'm speechless. Couldn't even work today.

If I may be candid, the sculpts are nice, but the poses are weird.

I find the hulking crossbows to look cumbersome.

The injection of force fed females comes off as pandering. I don’t mind it, in the right context. But they are definitely  Paul Feig-ing AoS anywhere they can. When forced and unnecessary it’s weird.

Worn out on SCE stuff, but then again it is more rules that can be proxies in themed armies! The Sigmar button smash got me juiced

3 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I find the hulking crossbows to look cumbersome. 

I think they're holy grenade launchers (look at the one holding the 'shell'). Which is kinda cool and does limit posing I guess.

3 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

The injection of force fed females comes off as pandering. I don’t mind it, in the right context. But they are definitely  Paul Feig-ing AoS anywhere they can. When forced and unnecessary it’s weird.

Do you mean that adding women to factions isn't fitting unless it's a female only faction? I can't see a reason SCE shouldn't have some women in the ranks.

45 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I think they're holy grenade launchers (look at the one holding the 'shell'). Which is kinda cool and does limit posing I guess.

Do you mean that adding women to factions isn't fitting unless it's a female only faction? I can't see a reason SCE shouldn't have some women in the ranks.

I thought the same thing. They do look like WW2 PIAT projectiles. As for the women, the more, the better. Loving this  girl with the "ghostbusters trap".

WHfestLiveBlog-AoSProductBig10cd-1.jpg

8 hours ago, Turragor said:

I’m not saying they can’t or shouldn’t. It’s just out of place when the company openly stated they would be injecting women in more predominant roles. Which is to cater to certain demographics, rather that it actually just being a normal thing that should have happened organically. Currently it seems like they are overcompensating. But really it was probably their statement that made it more of a noticed thing.

But for fun, in the world that was, as far as I can recollect, based of old whfb lore women weren’t really a thing. So logically all those heroic souls turned into SCE would have been men from the end times. 

Again, I’ll state that I don’t see including them in armies as a big deal. I think it’s good when not bein forced fed, they have also gotten a lot better a sculpting their faces & not overly specializing them

10 minutes ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

All of the souls that became Stormcast were from people who were chosen by Sigmar during the Age of Chaos. That would include men and women. 

Exactly. And I love the idea of having new material to make conversions. I have an extra Neave that can benefit from these new models.

1 hour ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I’m not saying they can’t or shouldn’t. It’s just out of place when the company openly stated they would be injecting women in more predominant roles. Which is to cater to certain demographics, rather that it actually just being a normal thing that should have happened organically. Currently it seems like they are overcompensating. But really it was probably their statement that made it more of a noticed thing.

But for fun, in the world that was, as far as I can recollect, based of old whfb lore women weren’t really a thing. So logically all those heroic souls turned into SCE would have been men from the end times. 

Again, I’ll state that I don’t see including them in armies as a big deal. I think it’s good when not bein forced fed, they have also gotten a lot better a sculpting their faces & not overly specializing them

I see what you are saying. Like the folks responding I like the variety for the models mostly. 

Nothing else is that important for me with a minis game - ofc if more model variety means more fans and variety of fans that's also healthy and good. I think. 

Like many have said before an all women SC Chamber wouldn't make sense. Why would Sigmar segregate the sexes?

I think a bunch of bitz boxes like the old Black Templar sprues that let you change you current space marines to that chapter would be awesome. Add a bunch of female heads and let them be added to all the chambers.

15 minutes ago, offroadfury said:

Like many have said before an all women SC Chamber wouldn't make sense. Why would Sigmar segregate the sexes?

I think a bunch of bitz boxes like the old Black Templar sprues that let you change you current space marines to that chapter would be awesome. Add a bunch of female heads and let them be added to all the chambers.

Agreed. For a long time I wanted a Lord-Celestant on foot as a woman warrior for my Astral Templars. Thought about using Neave, but with these new models I'll have more options so I'll wait a bit longer. More heads and other parts would be nice too.

I'm all for mixed Stormhost and Chambers but in the SC Battletome they talked about an Stormhost full of women (not sure if it was a stormhost or the extremis chamber of that stormhost, sorry) so if someone wanna say "my chamber is only made of women" there is an in lore example for that and now with the new kits it's more easy than before.

Reading the new Faction Focus from the WHC webpage we can finally state that this chamber is all about mages, ingineers and that kind of warriors even mystics so yes,  Sacrosanct could fit Devoted but I find it more of a mages and sages type of army with the little information we have right now.

On 5/13/2018 at 5:29 PM, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

But really it was probably their statement that made it more of a noticed thing.

Yeah, that's always a toughie for businesses. Do you do good and talk about it (Vodafone's philosophy for examples) or do you do good without talking about it. :S

But in general I think the models look dope, and that's more important to me than reason why they designed them. But I do agree with the comment on static poses of the crossbow shooters. But, just a gut feeling, they might be push fit. 

I'm jazzed about these, though I agree that I'm REALLY tired of the helmet style. Really like the variation they used for the vanguards, and I would have liked to see more of that - maybe draconic helms or something for the magical chamber would have been good. 

As for lady stormcast, more model variety is preferable to less for me, and the Amazon-esque "here's the one faction of women " just seems dated. I'll give the 40k Sororitas and Astartes  (and Eschers) a pass, since it would be even weirder to hard retcon it now. That said, it's a strange line to walk - on the one hand, when you have towering a superhuman body made out of literal lightning fully enclosed in enormous magical plate armour, it seems even less likely that an external observer would be able to see a difference - but at the same time miniatures have always been a cartoon representation of a fictitious reality since visual design concerns matter more to minis gaming than text-based gaming. 

The crossbow poses are a bit weird, but I like the vibe - they remind me of early rifle grenades. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm loving these and I really cant wait for them.

Some of the poses are rather static especially with the evocators.
But these are push fit so should see more variation with stand alone box sets.

Not a massive fan of the castigators but maybe with some remodelling. I think it might be the crossbows with these guys. The fact they are vertical and not horizontal might be the problem for me. Should be an easy fix.

The sequitors are stunning nuff said.

I have to agree with mandzak. Although the introduction of more female characters and models is great it all feels rather forced imo. Like they are trying to hard to not appear misogynist which can swing against you sometimes.

Its not just with gamesworkshop though it seems to be a trend with the film and game industry at the moment.  

Archived