Is Sacrosanct Chamber the Devoted of Sigmar?

Aelfric

Hi everyone.  While reading the new Stormcast Battletome, my mind kept returning to the four unopened Chambers.  I couldn't find a topic discussing this, so thought I'd see what ideas people might have had.  If this has been raised elsewhere then I apologise.

Anyway, my mind whirring away, I wondered whether the Devoted of Sigmar might fit the Sacrosanct theme with its religious connotations.  I gather there has been some collaboration between them and Stormcast in the fluff and this would be a fitting place for them, slightly lower down but still part of the organisation - the human face of the Sigmar religion as it were.  This could also be boosted by some who have been deemed not yet worthy to enter the final trial of Apotheosis, a sort of journeyman Stormcast.

For the other three unopened Chambers, my thoughts are as follows:-

Covenant Chamber

Many people have suggested this may be the Sisters Stormhost and, having had no better idea, I have to say I'm happy to go along with this theory at the moment - after all an anagram of covenant is a convent!

Logister Chamber

Possibly transport and support vehicles - stormbikes anybody?

Ruination Chamber

This Chamber could be for those Stormcast who have barely a shred of humanity left, not enough for another reforging.  unable to continue as Eternals, they are stripped of their immortality and given one more chance to die in glorious combat for Sigmar against his enemies.The Divine essence within can then return to Sigmar to be recycled into new Stormcast Eternals.  Of course that would then beg the question; are there Stormcast out there in the realms who have slipped the net, lost all their humanity and gone rogue and, with their humanity gone, no longer bound to Sigmar's Will.  Are they loners or are they drawn to each other to form a brotherhood bent on creating their own vision of an ordered universe?

Anyway, these are my wild speculations based on nothing but my own over-fertile imagination.  I look forward to hearing your own ideas.

Cheers

I think that if the Devoted of Sigmar are indeed the Sacrosanct Chamber, then GW has segued their releases very well. First we had the original Stormcast, hearty warriors in heavy armor. Then we got the big beatsticks, dudes riding Dracoths and Dragons into war. When the enemy proved to be more fleet of foot, we got the light cavalry and hunters -- still in fairly heavy armor, but with greater movement capabilities. One possible following step would be to develop the standard human forces that support these warriors, particularly now as there has been some development of a city structure (apparently in the City of Secrets book as well as, of course, Shadows over Hammerhal), which of course would follow rather conveniently into what our citizens have been up to lately.

Of course, it could all be wrong and there will be some alternate explanation for things (or no explanation at all). But I could certainly see the logic to this possibility.

1 hour ago, Bjarni St. said:

Fwiw Ruination chamber always sounded like siege engines to me. 

Not something like mages or strong nearly uncontrolabel lightning monsters?

I don't think regular humans feature in the Stormcast hierarchy so I think the OP is wrong.

Here is hoping for a traitor chamber!  Would be cool to have some SCE that are driven mad from countless reforging slip to serve chaos.  Not sure on exactly how the reforging process works and if they could manage to go rogue without Sigmar just yanking them back.  

My wildest dreams and or theories:

Sacrosanct

Set apart, inviolable, hallowed by a sacred rite. Priestly or something more surprising? I think it's probably Sigmar's priesthood fleshed out beyond the relictor (who really occupies a different space, like an apothecary or conduit?)

Ruination

I like the idea that THEY are ruined as per Aelfric. I also like the idea that the hoplite greek inspired Stormcast have a titan:

58bdda2468007_129298SunTitanfinal2.jpg.42f65afec8dcc10021f4a8285794d239.jpg

Logister

I want to forget about transport as that's too prosaic. What about logister as in mathematician and specifically the mathematics of azyr. Meaning lightning tbh. So mages or some form of machinery that harnasses the sacred truth of sigmars maths homework.

Covenant

I think we'll see an expansion (perhaps) on the Knights Questor and Errant, those with a covenant with Sigmar himself. In units they'd be heroes even beyond the heroic stormcast and so we're talking something like Stormcast Grail Knights.

Not sure which chamber it will be (Sacrosant, as suggested above?), but I would put my money down on one of the new chambers dedicated to the priests. They have added quite a few prayers in the new battletome, but IMHO this part of the army is the one which could be strengthened / further developed to make the army even more balanced. 

Could there be a chamber which contains big monsters (as opposed to the Stardrakes / Dracoths / Gryph-chargers, which are all mounts)

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Not something like mages or strong nearly uncontrolabel lightning monsters?

Lightning things yes but I don't expect actual Stormcast mages. Their Priests are pretty close already and they're allied to elf and human mages.

1 hour ago, Veillotron said:

Not sure which chamber it will be (Sacrosant, as suggested above?), but I would put my money down on one of the new chambers dedicated to the priests. They have added quite a few prayers in the new battletome, but IMHO this part of the army is the one which could be strengthened / further developed to make the army even more balanced. 

Could there be a chamber which contains big monsters (as opposed to the Stardrakes / Dracoths / Gryph-chargers, which are all mounts)

think sacrosanct is priests too... but not human priests as was suggested before.

Great ideas, thanks.  Will have to spend some time processing!  Personally, I would love to see some Stormcast Sisters- preferably without masks.  

I think the Devoted will come along in some form as it would make sense for Sigmar to have human worshippers; the Stormcast seem too distant from normal folk and Devoted would bridge the gap and help keep humanity under his sway.

I have to admit, I would prefer a more scholarly outcome for Logister, but would have to have a longer think about that one.  I'm not sure I want to see wizards though - it doesn't seem to fit with the concept.

A rogue Stormcast army is one I would snap up immediately.  My thinking is that if they lose all of their humanity, then Sigmar would no longer have any control as He is the god of humans only. After all, he needed the aid of other gods in the early years.  They could turn to Chaos and I would be happy with that, but I envisage them being of pure order.  Without their humanity to temper them and nothing to replace it, their natural instinct would be to rid the realms of all Chaos and as all living things are in some way chaotic, this would lead to the conclusion that the ideal orderly universe would be a dead one.  I would love to see undead Stormcast!

Keep the ideas flowing!

Cheers

53 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

think sacrosanct is priests too... but not human priests as was suggested before.

That would be cool...

Re the rogue Stormcast army, I am not sure that it makes sense. I actually love the idea of SE going AWOL and acting on their own - the fluff for my SE army is actually based on the idea that they were knights corrupted by Tzeentch, before Ghal Mazar knocked some sense into them and put them back on the right track (through Azyr...); the idea that they might revert to their old ways is interesting... 

However, the Chambers are official formations/units designed by Sigmar; I am not sure why/how Sigmar would make an official Chamber for SE that have gone AWOL. Instead of putting them in an official division, wouldn't Sigmar try to seek and destroy the rebel SEs?

Your version of the ruination chamber is the Death Company! I think that some story for what happens to a heavily reborn stormcast is good, but to me it isn't the ruination chamber. I imagined that chamber as heavy weapons - perhaps siege engines as others have mentioned.

Perhaps when a SE has been reforged to the point of nothing but a shell, waiting for the next battle to happen, they are then put into what we will see as the AoS parallel to a 40k dreadnought. Maybe this design will follow into Ruination Chamber. This and more siege/machines of war.

This would make more sense than "chaos eternals" imo.

What would a chamber, having only woman, bring to the table to differentiate themselves from what we have now?

Don't get me wrong. I'd very much like to see woman amongst the ranks of epic pecdom. I'm just having a hard time seeing that fit into the SE theme. I'd much rather see single hero's of SE woman. Or female versions of existing heros. Or just a simple upgrade sprue to existing troops.

They mention in the battletome the imagery of the animals briefly somewhere, yet we have seen no Lions. I'm calling it here, one of the chambers, lets put it down as ruination, will have either lion beasts and/or lion mounts. Ruination indeed.

3 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Perhaps when a SE has been reforged to the point of nothing but a shell, waiting for the next battle to happen, they are then put into what we will see as the AoS parallel to a 40k dreadnought. Maybe this design will follow into Ruination Chamber. This and more siege/machines of war.

This would make more sense than "chaos eternals" imo.

What would a chamber, having only woman, bring to the table to differentiate themselves from what we have now?

Don't get me wrong. I'd very much like to see woman amongst the ranks of epic pecdom. I'm just having a hard time seeing that fit into the SE theme. I'd much rather see single hero's of SE woman. Or female versions of existing heros. Or just a simple upgrade sprue to existing troops.

I do not think SE/Sigmar makes any difference between sexes. There are probably women which where heroic before their reforging in all segments of the army. It just doesn't make sense to has a seperate unit for them. SE are above such petty human distictions.. not to mention their reforging might make the strenght difference irrelevant anyway since they'd still be much tougher than regular humans. Behind the helmets there are probably a few of them. I'd not mind a single woman face on a few sprues and I think a female hero would be nice.. I only fear some people will make all female armies which just seems silly to me... or even worse.. model ****** on stormcast armor.

54 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I do not think SE/Sigmar makes any difference between sexes. There are probably women which where heroic before their reforging in all segments of the army. It just doesn't make sense to has a seperate unit for them. SE are above such petty human distictions.. not to mention their reforging might make the strenght difference irrelevant anyway since they'd still be much tougher than regular humans. Behind the helmets there are probably a few of them. I'd not mind a single woman face on a few sprues and I think a female hero would be nice.. I only fear some people will make all female armies which just seems silly to me... or even worse.. model ****** on stormcast armor.

...If Sigmar doesn't make distinctions between sexes then why would an all female army be silly? Would an all male army then be silly? What ratio wouldn't be silly? Also, stormcast armor already has ****** on them, they're just guy ****** instead of girl ******.

I do think that creating a token all female chamber isn't generally the way to go...unless you do something people don't expect with it. Like I can just feel people imagining the priest or healer or friendship chambers being all female but what if Ruination was the all girl band. A chamber of stormcasts so lost to their violent hatred of chaos that they're basically considered the stormcast equivalent of a tactical nuke strike. Spiky armor, helmets modeled after snakes or gators or some other kind of generally maligned aggressive animal, dual wielding wicked looking axes clubs and blades, rather than the refined weaponry of the other chambers. 

5 hours ago, BURF1 said:

...If Sigmar doesn't make distinctions between sexes then why would an all female army be silly? Would an all male army then be silly? What ratio wouldn't be silly? Also, stormcast armor already has ****** on them, they're just guy ****** instead of girl ******.

I do think that creating a token all female chamber isn't generally the way to go...unless you do something people don't expect with it. Like I can just feel people imagining the priest or healer or friendship chambers being all female but what if Ruination was the all girl band. A chamber of stormcasts so lost to their violent hatred of chaos that they're basically considered the stormcast equivalent of a tactical nuke strike. Spiky armor, helmets modeled after snakes or gators or some other kind of generally maligned aggressive animal, dual wielding wicked looking axes clubs and blades, rather than the refined weaponry of the other chambers. 

The ratio that wouldn't be silly is the ratio of hero's Sigmar has found. Since in our past most warring and fighting was done by men, and this was also the case in the old world it's LIKELY that this is the same for the freeguild people. So there would be less females qualifing for SC reforging since they'd have less opportunity. But ofc there would be instances of women heroicly defending their houses (after the (male) armies have been defeated) etc etc.

16 hours ago, Aezeal said:

The ratio that wouldn't be silly is the ratio of hero's Sigmar has found. Since in our past most warring and fighting was done by men, and this was also the case in the old world it's LIKELY that this is the same for the freeguild people. So there would be less females qualifing for SC reforging since they'd have less opportunity. But ofc there would be instances of women heroicly defending their houses (after the (male) armies have been defeated) etc etc.

Except the old world has been dead for 3-4 ages(not sure exactly how long an age is but based on the death-metal uber fantasy of Sigmar I bet it's quite a few zeroes) so not only is OUR societal take on military conflict irrelevant, but the old world's is too. This is a near infinite setting that has seen constant warfare to such a degree that until recently 'society' as we know it couldn't exist outside of Azyr and the pockets of normal people that survived were in a state of constant battle. Every man woman and child in reality should be a hardened warrior at this point just by virtue of having survived this long. There's absolutely 0 reason why the Stormhosts couldn't be even 50/50 male to female within the context of the universe. It's our own idea of what a 'military' consists of bleeding into Sigmar that has the so little female representation and it's frankly nonsensical in a world where battle has been more common than sleep for the past some odd thousand years.

On 3/7/2017 at 3:41 AM, Aelfric said:

Covenant Chamber

Many people have suggested this may be the Sisters Stormhost and, having had no better idea, I have to say I'm happy to go along with this theory at the moment - after all an anagram of covenant is a convent!

Logister Chamber

Possibly transport and support vehicles - stormbikes anybody?

Ruination Chamber

This Chamber could be for those Stormcast who have barely a shred of humanity left, not enough for another reforging.  unable to continue as Eternals, they are stripped of their immortality and given one more chance to die in glorious combat for Sigmar against his enemies.The Divine essence within can then return to Sigmar to be recycled into new Stormcast Eternals.  Of course that would then beg the question; are there Stormcast out there in the realms who have slipped the net, lost all their humanity and gone rogue and, with their humanity gone, no longer bound to Sigmar's Will.  Are they loners or are they drawn to each other to form a brotherhood bent on creating their own vision of an ordered universe?

I hope the covenant chamber gives the stormcast some much needed casting abilities, or even special units focused on unbinding or dealing mortal wounds on enemy spell casts.

Logister chamber I'd love to see support or defensive units, or maybe as you suggest, vehicles of sorts. But then again, I doubt putting logistical support units on the board will be fun at all. Maybe limited runs of treasure boxes, carts and such for narrative play would be fun.

Ruination chamber? Oh boy. No man, let's not do the reforging thing. Let me inspire you... SIEGE WEAPONS. Stormcast titans with shoulder ballistas. Stormforge Titanicus anybody? 

3 minutes ago, Ruben said:

I hope the covenant chamber gives the stormcast some much needed casting abilities, or even special units focused on unbinding or dealing mortal wounds on enemy spell casts.

Logister chamber I'd love to see support or defensive units, or maybe as you suggest, vehicles of sorts. But then again, I doubt putting logistical support units on the board will be fun at all. Maybe limited runs of treasure boxes, carts and such for narrative play would be fun.

Ruination chamber? Oh boy. No man, let's not do the reforging thing. Let me inspire you... SIEGE WEAPONS. Stormcast titans with shoulder ballistas. Stormforge Titanicus anybody? 

Not to be that guy but we already have that first paragraph. The Veritant and Relictor do both, and I doubt we'll ever get casting

With all the "how to deal with Mourngul " questions popping up I had an idea that perhaps sacrosanct chamber may devoted to dealing with death where as most SE chambers are against chaos.

It's inevitable that Nagash unleashes his full force soon and SE will need a way to deal with them.

Archived