Ironjawz - 1,000 points - Show me your lists!

Chris Tomlin

I've been messing around with ironjawz at 1000pts as I was really impressed by their speed (2D6 move in the hero phase then move and charge) compared to other armies I play the list I run is : megaboss with talisman of protection a warchanter, 20 ardboyz ( I used to run 2 x 10 but I found a single unit with the warchanter's +1 to hit is better) 5 brutes cos I love the models and 3 gore grunta's (which came in the start collecting box); and the inronfist battalion which is soooo good. In the games that I've played I've found that everything dies quickly and it really does become a case of not charging everything in at once, I try to only charge the ard boys in to duff up one of my opponents units while the gore gruntas I've found are really good as blockers so i don't normally charge them in. Overall I really like the army though in the last 5/8 games they have died pretty much to a hand full of models, but really fun balancing kill and not be killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone tried a Gorefist at this points level? You could run the battalion (120 pts.) and five units of Gore-Gruntas (900 pts.) at 1,020 points. So either asking your opponent's permission to go over the limit or dropping a unit of megaboars...

The Big Boss is the General, with the Talisman or Brew to keep him alive and your choice of Command Trait (I like Ravager).

Not much nuance to them and absolute rubbish at holding objectives... But fifteen five-wound cavalry shooting 26"+ forward during the opening turn is just nuts at 1,000 Points.

8 hours ago, Thain said:

Has anyone tried a Gorefist at this points level? You could run the battalion (120 pts.) and five units of Gore-Gruntas (900 pts.) at 1,020 points. So either asking your opponent's permission to go over the limit or dropping a unit of megaboars...

The Big Boss is the General, with the Talisman or Brew to keep him alive and your choice of Command Trait (I like Ravager).

Not much nuance to them and absolute rubbish at holding objectives... But fifteen five-wound cavalry shooting 26"+ forward during the opening turn is just nuts at 1,000 Points.

Hah! That's a really cool idea! You could just drop one of the units and throw in a Megaboss instead. He'll lag behind the alpha strike, but can still use his Waaagh! ability to give the pigs extra attacks.

I've been playing against my fiancé's skaven a lot recently and been having some success with this:

• 20x Moonclan Grots w/Bows
  • 20x Moonclan Grots w/Spears
  • 10x Ardboys w/Big Choppas
  • 10x Ardboys w/Choppas and Smashas
  • 3x Gore Gruntas w/Jagged Gorehackers
  • 1x Megaboss
  • Ardfist Battletome

The grots hold objectives in my deployment zone and can sometimes to be good to remove a couple of rats with their bows before the Ardboys crash in.  The Gore Gruntas have the Big Boss for the battalion and a 7 wound piggy hits really hard!  The Megaboss tends to hang back and counter charge or back up one of the units of ardboys as they begin to get bogged down or he goes hero hunting.  So far I've found he can easily take most low-to-mid tier heroes comfortably and only starts struggling against the really big bruisers.

Suppose this is a little different as well. Double the Krunk if you want. 
Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline

This is almost the same list as I run.

Megaboss (brew)
Megaboss (brew)
Ardboyz x10 (double choppa)
Ardboyz x10 (rending choppa)
Brutes x10 (general - bellowing)
Ironfist

It's super stompy at 1000 points.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, mrstimpson38 said:

This is almost the same list as I run.

Megaboss (brew)
Megaboss (brew)
Ardboyz x10 (double choppa)
Ardboyz x10 (rending choppa)
Brutes x10 (general - bellowing)
Ironfist

It's super stompy at 1000 points.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Except it's not 1000 points, it's 1060 points :P

HI all.

I have the following units:

1 megaboss, 1 warchanter 3 goreguntas, 10 ardboys and 10 brutes. I think that with the ironfist battalion is exactly 1000 points.

I'm 100% new, only played a demo, know something about stormcasts but that's it.

I read that is better if I play 2 units of 5 brutes. I guess one of those should have the brute as the big boss so they move D6. Then I read that they can get a destruction trait to run more? Whar artifacts should I get?

What is basically the game plan? Move forward, crush them and hope for the best?

Thanks.

Wallack: That's basically the exact collection of models I have (Start Collecting Box, plus two Brute kits). Although I snagged a pile of Greenskinz Arrer Boyz (from the either old 6th or 7th Edition starter) from the used bin at my FLGS.

I'm also very interested in any advice people have beyond "Get stuck in and krump'em!"

So, I´m plaining to run this list on a local tournament next saturday:

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
Black Orc Big Boss (100)
- Slaughter Choppa
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 4x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 6x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppa
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppa
Ironfist (60)

Total: 1000/1000

The idea is to be totally agressive, use Rampaing destroyer, ravager and ironfist to smash things. Megaboss command would make the BOBB´s Slaughter Choppa a lot more scary, 4 or 5 attacks hitting on 2+ (with I´m da Best or battlebrew) and rend -2 with D3 damage. Each chanter would buff a unit of Brutes and the ardboyz would hold some ground.

I also got 3 gruntas that I´m thinking on swapping in with the ardboyz, more mobility and tankness. Not sure on this thought.

What do you think?

@tuorgustavo, It's actually nice to see something different, that I may try for my next few games. Check your rules packet for the tournament, especially if the TO is requiring a "Legal" flag in the new Azyr app. Despite having the Ironjawz keyword, the BOBB isn't listed under Ironjawz in the app (nor is Grimgor), and will mess up some things. Otherwise, if you're still legal, good luck and let us know how it goes!

@tuorgustavo - Great work, that's the kind of thing I wanted to see here! I'll use that list at the next opportunity in my club campaign. I had a lot of fun with the Black Orc Big Boss, or Ardnob as I like to call him (Sounds more Ironjawz/AoS, and ya know, d!ck jokes are fun!) at Tournaments in 2016. He's solid for sure.

In my club game last night I rocked out with Krunk, 'Chanter, 10 Brutes, 2x5 Brutes, Ironfist.

Went against a nice Sylvaneth/Wanderers mix and just took the win thanks to rolling 3 on a final D3 from the Big Boss' Smasha!! Great game.

There's loads of great posts in here and some interesting questions to be answered etc. Fingers crossed I find myself with some downtime at work next week and can get stuck in.

Quick shout out to @Wallack though - welcome to the forums man! Hopefully you find plenty of useful info here (you will!!) :D 

Have a good weekend all!!

Chris

Thank you @Chris Tomlin !

I mainly collect stormcasts (sorry XD) but as I use clear bases I cannot play until they are painted and bought this army of Ironjawz because it was painted to a nice standard. Not the typical yellow scheme (which I love) but more of a rusty metal scheme which is great as I bought them for a dungeon crawler I'm doing (and I need a lots of orcs!) but as they are almost 1000 pts (just bought the warchanter) and painted I thought I could give them a try in AoS until I paint the unending pending minis I have.

I actually think I choose nice because the army I have I think is a good one to start playing AoS because there is basically not a lot of options, hold objectives and/or destroy them waaaagh!

On March 6, 2017 at 10:44 PM, Voc said:

Come on then Ardboys, no one's mentioned a pure Ardboys army, anyone taken an Ardfist Battalion?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've been thinking on running this list.

Grimgor Ironhide

Warchanter

20 Ardboys

10 Ardboys

10 Ardboys

Ironfist formation.

@Frozenorc: Why not run that list with the Ardfist? Neither Grimgor nor the Warchanter benefit from the Ironfist's 'Ere We Go ability, meaning your ladz will be scooting d6" ahead of them each hero phase.

Grimgor and the Warchanter both have abilities that play off of having lots of boyz nearby and both have an ability that encourages them to stay fairly close to the other... 

4 hours ago, Thain said:

Grimgor and the Warchanter both have abilities that play off of having lots of boyz nearby and both have an ability that encourages them to stay fairly close to the other...

I generally haven't found this to be much of a problem in my games - the fights usually happen around the middle of the table where the objectives are, and even if they don't, you will generally be able to get stuck in by turn 2. The Ardfist is also fairly useless in Matched Play, since it requires a reinforcement pool.

7 hours ago, Thain said:

I really hope GW does something to "fix" the Matched Play Summoning system in TGH v.2... I don't know what they should do, but I hope they do something.

16 hours ago, Thain said:

@Frozenorc: Why not run that list with the Ardfist? Neither Grimgor nor the Warchanter benefit from the Ironfist's 'Ere We Go ability, meaning your ladz will be scooting d6" ahead of them each hero phase.

I thought about it but at 1k match play is kinda hard leaving points behind and like Solaris said most of the action happens in the middle of the bord.

Hi, ardboyz! 

I took the list I posted previously to a mini-tournament last Saturday. After some arguments and shown warscrolls, everybody agreed that Black Orc Big Boss was a legit Ironjawz and we were ready to go. I played 3 games: VS Ironjawz in Escalation, Stormcast in 3 Places of Power and Order mixed army (mostly Sylvaneth and free people) in Gift from the Heavens. 

The 1st battle the Big Boss wasn't very effective, but almost wiped a whole ardboyz unit. My 2 units of brutes did the heavy work of killing a maw krusha and it was a major victory to my orruks. 

The 2nd battle was a joy ride for my opponent, he sniped both of my warchanters in turn 1 and 2 with his Vanguard Raptor with Long Strike, forcing me to hold the objectives with Megaboss and Big Boss. 2 Draccoths killed my Megaboss and 2nd turn and then the Vanguard raptors also sniped the Big Boss before he could reach them, major loss.

The 3rd battle had a mixed feeling for me. I managed a major move with ironfist, rampaging destroyer, and charge. I got my megaboss and 10 brutes across the battlefield right in the middle of his key units, but the dices were against me. My megaboss scored 2 wounds out of 8 attacks. Brutes and Megaboss were quickly killed by a Tree Lord and Balthasar. But it was nice to see a unit of his Swordmasters unit being killed by my ardboyz and Big boss, the big buy alone killed 8 out of 10. I got tabled, but It was a minor loss as we were tied on the score.

My opinion is that the Black Orc Big Boss will definitely have a place in my future lists. He hits pretty hard with the slaughter choppa and the look on my opponents face when I told them that he hits and wound on 2+ (thanks Gorka for battle brew), with rend -2 and does D3 damage is simply priceless. Gonna try the tusker shield and dual deff choppas next games.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:29 AM, Thain said:

I really hope GW does something to "fix" the Matched Play Summoning system in TGH v.2... I don't know what they should do, but I hope they do something.

In regards to the 'Ardfist, I think it has bigger issues than just the summoning rules. There are ways to fit it into a 1000 point list, but the rules of the actual battalion are misread for what we would 'prefer' for it to do.

• The Warchanter is the lynchpin for the battalion. If he dies before you get to bring in that replacement Ardboys unit, then the battalion is useless, and you lose those 180+ summoning points.
  • The rules themselves read: "...[the unit] must be set up with all models within 6" of the edge of the battlefield, and more than 6" from any enemy units. Within these restrictions, it must [ALSO] be deployed as close to the battalion's Warchanter as possible." So, unless your Warchanter is stuck in the middle of the board, your summoned Ardboys will be deployed on your table edge.
  • End result, the battalion is good if you're trying to reinforce a home objective, but nowhere close to the initial view we have of a unit coming in on the enemy flanks looking for a good fight.

Sorry for the off-topic.

So, this isn't a pure Ironjawz list, but I plan to try it out in a game or two at the FLGS (with some Ogor proxies) this weekend. Fluff wise, I just don't like the idea of Ironjawz working with anything weaker than them. I've also just been wanting to fit a Brute Fist into a small list.

Allegiance: Destruction

Orruk Megaboss (140)

Command Trait : Bellowing Tyrant

Artefact : Battle Brew

3 x Ogors (120)

Iron Fists

3 x Ogors (120)

Iron Fists

5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Jagged Gore Hackas

1 x  Gore Choppa

5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Jagged Gore Hackas

1 x  Gore Choppa

5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Jagged Gore Hackas

1 x  Gore Choppa

Brute Fist (80)

Total: 1000/1000

Have you had much luck with five-man (er, five-orc) Brute units using the Jagged Gore Hackas?

General consensus seems to be that the smaller units should use the dual Choppas and larger units should use the Hackas so that both units can maximize their number of attacks...

Archived