Ironjawz - 1,000 points - Show me your lists!

Chris Tomlin

Morning all,

Hope everyone had a good weekend and got plenty of Warhammer in. I did...though it was assembling Sylvaneth, so probably shouldn't mention that here!!

So I've been playing in a campaign at the club recently and as there are lots of newer players, the "painted models only" stipulation has resulted in lots of people wanting to play 1,000 point games at the moment. Now I'm cool with this, I happen to love AoS at 1,000 points tbh. I think the matched play battleplans work great and the game just scales almost perfectly.

Now as we all know, Ironjawz are super easy to write lists for at 1,000 points right? We all just take this;

• Megaboss
  • Warchanter
  • 4x 180 point units*
  • Ironfist

Nice and easy and allows for plenty of flexibility (well, as much flexibility as we have!). I added the asterisk* as often the 4x 180 units will equate to 10 Brutes and then 2 other units I find.

I've ran various configurations on this build and all seem fine. I think we can draw a line under that and probably agree its the best, or at least safest/easiest way to run Ironjawz at 1,000 points.

Now, what I'm interested in here is to see if anyone has run anything completely different. Doesn't necessarily need to be "good" or "competitive", I just thought it might be fun to see what other options we have.

Last Thursday I ran the following list in my campaign game and an extra one afterwards;

• Cabbage - Talisman
  • Weirdnob
  • 5 Brutes - General, Bellowing Tyrant*
  • 5 Brutes

*The Brute Boss was only my General as I have to keep the same model as the General throughout the campaign. The unit size can freely change around him though, which is nice and flexible if I want to take weird builds like this.

It went well, winning both games, the Cabbage is (perhaps unsurprisingly) a bit of a handful at 1,000 points (but did die in both games). It was a lot of fun to push around tbh, if not a bit silly! Not really much to discuss tactics wise obviously. Considering the lack of models, it won't do well in scenario play, so you kinda just need to kill the opponent before they can outscore you.

So what other lists have you guys tried? If I see anything I like I might pinch it for my next game!

Chris

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have plans to play this in my next 1000 point game. Just the deathstar Megabrute unit with a screen and all the buffs in the world! 

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Brutes (540)
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

2 minutes ago, N_Watson said:

Yes, but on a 4/4 board. Sometimes two places of power. 

Yup, same as we play down here.

I guess much like my Cabbage list you'd likely be looking to kill the enemy initially, with one eye on the primary objective if possible?

Could maybe win Take and Hold with that by leaving the Ardboyz back and steamrolling the Megabrutes and Leaders forwards.

Interesting lists! I had never considered the Maw-krusha or Megabrutes for 1000 points, report back on your experiences if you play it some more!

I have had a lot of fun with the Weirdfist at 1000 points so far, running:

Megaboss, general, Ravager, BB
Warchanter
Weirdnob, ToP
5 Brutes
10 Ardboys
3 Gruntas
Weirdfist battalion
980 points

Since I recently got the model, I'm considering dropping the Warchanter for a Balewind Vortex. The Warchanter hasn't really performed very well for me anyway - I usually lose initiative and win the fights when my opponent charges me! I'm also considering dropping the Gruntas for another unit of Brutes, though I'm on the fence about that one. The Brutes synergize better with the Weirdfist, since they are more likely to be within 10" of the Weirdnob. The Gruntas have, on the other hand, been instrumental in controlling my opponents movements so far. I will experiment with these variations and get back to you :D

59 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Interesting lists! I had never considered the Maw-krusha or Megabrutes for 1000 points, report back on your experiences if you play it some more!

I have had a lot of fun with the Weirdfist at 1000 points so far, running:

Megaboss, general, Ravager, BB
Warchanter
Weirdnob, ToP
5 Brutes
10 Ardboys
3 Gruntas
980 points

Since I recently got the model, I'm considering dropping the Warchanter for a Balewind Vortex. The Warchanter hasn't really performed very well for me anyway - I usually lose initiative and win the fights when my opponent charges me! I'm also considering dropping the Gruntas for another unit of Brutes, though I'm on the fence about that one. The Brutes synergize better with the Weirdfist, since they are more likely to be within 10" of the Weirdnob. The Gruntas have, on the other hand, been instrumental in controlling my opponents movements so far. I will experiment with these variations and get back to you :D

The Wierdnob in the wierdfist is 340 points with a vortex. That's a lot of points in a 6 wound model. 

Things like. 120 point Knight venator or a unit of skyfires could just pick him off, then you are left trying to keep up with 660 points versus 1000. 

Big investment for something as random as magic in a 1000 point game. 

Something to keep in mind. 

raf,750x1000,075,t,101010:01c5ca27c6.u2.jpg

Missed out on the perfect opportunity to do this! (for Rick and Morty fans)

Anyway - my idea:

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Ironfist (60)

Might not be the most effective, but it is fast and punchy in combat.

1 hour ago, N_Watson said:

The Wierdnob in the wierdfist is 340 points with a vortex. That's a lot of points in a 6 wound model. 

Things like. 120 point Knight venator or a unit of skyfires could just pick him off, then you are left trying to keep up with 660 points versus 1000. 

Big investment for something as random as magic in a 1000 point game. 

Something to keep in mind. 

Of course, it's really yolo, but it's a lot of fun to play. As per @Chris Tomlins original post, the point is not to write the most competitive list, but lists that are good fun at 1000 points :)

Afternoon Ardboys,

Nice to see a few replies, I'd hoped this would be a fun topic!

3 hours ago, N_Watson said:

Yes, that's the plan. Actually thinking that with two warchanters and no ironfist, might be better with ravager trait? 

I'd definitely go Ravager with this list given the option. However I think for the campaign, the Command Trait is locked in, so personally I'd be stuck with Bellowing Tyrant? Maybe @Paul Buckler can confirm.

@Solaris - That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks for sharing, looks ideal. I'd probably go with more Brutes over the Gore-gruntas but meh, looks cool either way.

Obviously @N_Watson's concerns as valid but as you say, that's not the aim of the thread haha!

46 minutes ago, Caffran101 said:

Anyway - my idea:

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Ironfist (60)

Think you missed the original post my man! ;) 

Solid list though, it's exactly what I used at Brothers of Sigmar doubles last year. Did well alongside my partners Moonclan.

Thanks for all replies!

1 hour ago, Solaris said:

Of course, it's really yolo, but it's a lot of fun to play. As per @Chris Tomlins original post, the point is not to write the most competitive list, but lists that are good fun at 1000 points :)

Haha, I totally get that. Guess it just comes down to the meta that you play in, but against the cheese I normally need to deal with, (looking at you Stonlord, thundertusk and 2 mournfang,) I'd not have fun with your list ?. 

Suppose this is a little different as well. Double the Krunk if you want. 

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Battle Brew

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline

30 minutes ago, N_Watson said:

Suppose this is a little different as well. Double the Krunk if you want. 

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Battle Brew

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Ironjawz Battleline

I take it you'd also run that with an Ironfist? You do have 60 points left over, and have selected two artefacts after all =) In your Megabrute list, I'd probably swap the double Warchanters for a Megaboss. The Megabrutes already have Bellowing Tyrant and get diminishing returns on a second +1 to hit bonus, and the Ardboys don't hit hard enough to warrant buying a Warchanter for them imo. A Megaboss with Battle Brew will add more to your list than two Warchanters I think.

@Caffran101 & @Chris Tomlin for sure that's the classic Ironfist combo I now roll with having dropped the Gruntas.

When I can I want to try 

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Weirdfist (100)

It's 1020pts so either your opponent matches/accepts it or you're dropping that Warchanter I guess.  Has anyone had any success with the Weirdfist Battalion?  It looks good on paper but I've not seen anyone mention it? 

3 minutes ago, Voc said:

It's 1020pts so either your opponent matches/accepts it or you're dropping that Warchanter I guess.  Has anyone had any success with the Weirdfist Battalion?  It looks good on paper but I've not seen anyone mention it? 

Yep, I've run it a bunch. I would say that it's strong and versatile, but vulnerable at high competitive levels. If you face heavy shooting with good range (Kurnoth Hunters, Knight Venator and the likes) you run the risk of having your expensive Weirdnob sniped. That being said, if you don't face heavy long range shooting the Weirdnob will put out insane amounts of damage at very long range himself. I find that I usually deal around 5 mortal wounds at 30"+ range each hero phase, which allows me to do a lot of sniping.

You could say it's a bit of a coin flip, really. Unlike the Ironfist, which is very solid and all-round, the Weirdfist will have good matchups and bad matchups. 

1 hour ago, Solaris said:

I take it you'd also run that with an Ironfist? You do have 60 points left over, and have selected two artefacts after all =) In your Megabrute list, I'd probably swap the double Warchanters for a Megaboss. The Megabrutes already have Bellowing Tyrant and get diminishing returns on a second +1 to hit bonus, and the Ardboys don't hit hard enough to warrant buying a Warchanter for them imo. A Megaboss with Battle Brew will add more to your list than two Warchanters I think.

Yes, didn't copy far enough on scroll builder! 

On the point of diminishing returns, one of my common opponents is a sylvaneth player. They can take a treelords ancient with briarsheath, giving them a -1 to hit. Stomp, if it goes off, is -2 to hit. With mystic shield, and the command ability, -2 to hit, with a two up rerolling 1 armour save, multiple warchanters are the only way to start chunking them down! I did tell you I need to deal with a lot of filth, right? Haha. ?

Failing that, giving your ardboys a 2+ to hit actually makes them alright! 

Having 3 heroes for the three/two places of power helps a lot also. 

Love playing with my Megaboss though. 

not a 1,000 pts, but ran this yesterday at an agreed upon 1400 with my match-up:

-Megaboss

-Weirdnob

- 2 x 10 'Ardboyz

- 1 x 10 Brutes

- 1 x 6 Gruntas

- Ironfist

Gonna run this at 2000 with:

- another Weirdnob,

- another Megaboss 

- 3 more Gruntas  

- Weirdfist 

2 hours ago, N_Watson said:

On the point of diminishing returns, one of my common opponents is a sylvaneth player. They can take a treelords ancient with briarsheath, giving them a -1 to hit. Stomp, if it goes off, is -2 to hit. With mystic shield, and the command ability, -2 to hit, with a two up rerolling 1 armour save, multiple warchanters are the only way to start chunking them down! I did tell you I need to deal with a lot of filth, right? Haha. ?

Ok, that is pretty filthy :P Does your opponent regularly run that at 1000 points? Spam it to death with mortal wounds, you need some more Weirdfist to deal with that stuff!

7 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Afternoon Ardboys,

Nice to see a few replies, I'd hoped this would be a fun topic!

I'd definitely go Ravager with this list given the option. However I think for the campaign, the Command Trait is locked in, so personally I'd be stuck with Bellowing Tyrant? Maybe @Paul Buckler can confirm.

@Solaris - That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks for sharing, looks ideal. I'd probably go with more Brutes over the Gore-gruntas but meh, looks cool either way.

Obviously @N_Watson's concerns as valid but as you say, that's not the aim of the thread haha!

Think you missed the original post my man! ;) 

Solid list though, it's exactly what I used at Brothers of Sigmar doubles last year. Did well alongside my partners Moonclan.

Thanks for all replies!

You can change trait from game to game, @Chris Tomlin just the model you chose for your named general has to stay the same.

3 minutes ago, Voc said:

Come on then Ardboys, no one's mentioned a pure Ardboys army, anyone taken an Ardfist Battalion?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't particularly enjoy the models in comparison to the rest of the ironjawz range ?? 

Never felt the urge to play with the ardfist. Also, bringing back a unit that is completely destroyed requires you to leave reinforcement points, so you would need to leave at least 180 points free to bring them back. 

Have you tried it yet? 

5 minutes ago, N_Watson said:

I don't particularly enjoy the models in comparison to the rest of the ironjawz range ?? 

Never felt the urge to play with the ardfist. Also, bringing back a unit that is completely destroyed requires you to leave reinforcement points, so you would need to leave at least 180 points free to bring them back. 

Have you tried it yet? 

Totally agree, the models are not in keeping with the range and a bit dated.  That said they are a mandatory inclusion in any competent list.

I've not tried it (mainly for the same reason as you) and can't see I ever would due to their lack of speed.  Essentially, it's the worst Battalion out of the lot but a all those Ardboys coming at you would be daunting to say the least!

Or this (1,000pts):

2 x Weirdnobs (240)

2 x Warchanter (160)

10 x Ardboys (180)

10 x Ardboys (180)

10 x Ardboys (180)

Ironfist (60)

Now that would be a laugh but again I wouldn't take it personally...maybe in a doubles

My lists are usually like this:

Megaboss

Warchanter.

5 brutes.

2x10 ardboyz.

3 goregruntas.

or

5 brutes.

3x10 ardboyz or 10 ardboyz and 20 ardboyz.

This is mainly because I bought those bad boys with start collectings and have only gotten around buying a box of brutes (plan to correct this) but I found they to quite well in a semi-competitive enviroment like mine, plus I like playing to objectives.

Archived