Bretonnia Battletome Project

henin

Unofficial Bretonnian Battletome  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Would a full unofficial Bretonnian Battletome for AoS interest you?

• Yes! I have something to offer for this project so i will notify you!
    • Yes! I would love to see this and really hope it gets done!
    • Sure, hope it happens.
    • Nah, too complicated...
    • No I am fine with things as they are.
    • NO! DEATH TO THE LADY!

STATUS UPDATE:

I have managed to put some people together to begin our efforts and with the combined efforts we have already come up with something and will be able to release something this weekend if things go well! Think of it as an Easter present! :D

ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you have a really nice Bretonnian Castle You made please post pictures of it and maybe include your own bret models in additional pics inhabiting the great stone walls of your armies fortress!

Anyway, until next time!

Best,

Henin

Edited by henin
grammer

Alright, so here is a belated Easter gift! 

I present to you, from across the Mortal Realms, Knights, of nobility and loyalty, The Bretongyr. With the Eternal Queen ruling the fearless knights, among their Levitating Citadels, the knights of old return, Host Knights protect all they have, and serve the Eternal Queen, their Lady of Fates, against the forces of chaos.

Here you can have a sneak peek at the plans for the Bretonnian Battletome! These are the rules essentially and it contains fluff, alluding to the new info.gifBrets in AoS, still in development, lead by the talented Redcrossknight. 

I feel there is still a lot of work to get done and fix but with this, there is at least some basis that we can work with and improve upon. This first part of the Battletome has been a learning experience all the way through. If you have any particularly constructive criticism or ideas or opinions of the contents of these pages then be my guest to comment or pm me. Bretongyr is merely a current name that we chose to work with for now. It may change (more likely than not) as well as many other things. This is merely testing the waters :)

I also would like to know if you try out these rules with some friends! Let me know what you think and how it went. 

Hope you enjoy this in the meantime as we work to further improve and expand the new home of for the Knights of Old in Age of Sigmar.

https://drive.google.com/a/fiu.edu/file/d/0Bz2VnYDFBl1URFJTandESkx0YW8/view?usp=sharing

or 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/utu9z20du1wlpl8/Bretongyr Allegiance Rules.pdf?dl=0

Best,
Henin

• 4 months later...

UPDATE: 

Here is a piece of the fluff that has been written by redcrossknight for this new take on the Breton forces in the AOS setting as we continue to work hard to get this together. Hope you guys enjoy, its been a long process but it is heading in the right direction, I would like to think.

Age of Myth

So it was that the shattered fragments of an entity that was once a goddess to both man and Aelf slowly reformed amidst the void left from a great cataclysm. Yet, when these tattered remnants finally coalesced, it was the aspect of the goddess of a human warrior race that stood powerful and ready to walk the realms once more. Of her other form, that of the Aelf maiden of moon and stars, nothing was seen. This reborn deity assumed the title of Lady of Fates, for there could be no other, and she set forth in search of the one being that could help her rebuild all that she had lost. The Lady of Fates journeyed long and far, her prescience and innate connection with the strands of destiny guiding her ever onwards towards her goal. During her travels, the Lady made two significant discoveries. The first was that the greatest, most willful spirits of those warriors who once worshipped her, had survived the destruction of their world and remained in the Ether, preserved from the machinations of Chaos and other beings thanks to their purity and strength. Shortly thereafter, the Lady came across a small, pocket realm, no more than a single world that radiated with innocence and purity. Indeed, it was a miracle that it had survived from the predation of the hungry gods of Chaos at all, and the Lady sensed the traces of her lost warrior people around it. Though she knew not why, the Lady felt protective of the world, like the instinct of a mother who has come across a long-lost child. As such, she took it upon herself to defend this tiny realm, which she named Avelone, from all who would harm it and bound it to her person with great magics that would hide it from the predatory eyes.

Finally, after an immeasurable amount of time, the Lady of Fates found the being she sought: Sigmar, the God King of Mankind. Thus, she came unto Sigmar, regally cloaked in her reborn power, and offered him her aid in his quest to rebuild the lost lands and reunite those beings that remained in a Grand Alliance against Chaos. The Lady comforted Sigmar in his dark hours and lent him her great wisdom and powers of foresight. Together, the two came to agreement that would come to be known as the Fateful Pact. In return for her allegiance and support, Sigmar granted the Lady of Fates exclusive access to the spirits of her lost warrior race. Furthermore, he offered her a degree of autonomy, so that she might found her own kingdoms of men within his great vision of unified realms. In return, the Lady served as Sigmar’s foremost councilor and vowed that the armies of her followers would always fight on behalf of his great vision. The Lady of Fates meticulously upheld her half of the bargain, bar one thing: She kept from Sigmar the pocket world of Avelone, for fear that Sigmar would factor it into his sweeping visions if he were to discover its existence. Bar this one secret, the Lady of Fates proved a trusted and loyal counselor to the God King. She warned Sigmar that Alarielle would ultimately forsake his alliance to defend her own realm, firmly reinforcing her separation from that part of her that was an Aelf goddess of old. The Lady also repeatedly counseled that Sigmar should destroy Nagash before he betrayed everything that the God King was working so hard to create. Though Sigmar chose not to act on her wise words, the Lady and Nagash remained deeply at odds with one another, their hatred still smoldering with the fires of aggression from a different time and place, yet neither came openly to blows while under Sigmar’s watchful gaze.

When not engaged in the tangled web of loyalties that kept Simgar’s Grand Alliance together, the Lady was meticulously rebuilding a culture long dead. Soon, the people of Breton flourished across the realms alongside the other great kingdoms of mortals. The Lady of Fates then assumed her second title, the Eternal Queen, for given her strength, wisdom, and glory; no other could have ruled the proud Bretons. From among these noble people, the Lady began to raise armies of brave knights and loyal peasantry to march forth in service of the Grand Alliance. From among the greatest of her new subjects, the Lady carefully selected those that would receive the honor of becoming the first Host Knights. Using magic gleaned from Sigmar and the knowledge of the gods of the Grand Alliance, the Lady of Fates drew the proud geists of great heroes of the lost lands from the Ether and bound their spirits to these most worthy knights. These bonded warriors proved stronger and more powerful than any normal man and though they were few in number, such was their strength and skill that they soon formed the legendary elite of the Lady’s armies. Indeed, their reputation for greatness quickly spread across the entirety of the Grand Alliance. So it was that for a time Breton society flourished and the Eternal Queen felt at peace. Avelone was protected, the brave warriors of her lost kingdom were reborn anew, and all seemed well across the Realms. But in the void, the Dark Gods that ever hungered to destroy all that was noble and good gathered their forces about them and laughed at the folly of those who thought that peace could ever be a constant.

Edited by henin
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

If this is anywhere near the quality of the Tomb Kings battletome you were involved with, then I'll be as happy as a peasant in poop!

Haha good to hear! That is exactly the goal and we are working as hard as we can to make it with the highest quality we can possibly make it. The more support we get the higher quality it will be! :) I must confess that currently the area we are stuck on is finding an artist to create or lend us artwork for the project. So if you know of anyone or any artists that are willing to support this project, please contact me or have them contact me. This project is very much going well but we still need some support.  Anyway hope you enjoy the developement so far! I plan on releasing more small contents soon ;) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I love that you are picking this up for my favorite army :) A few questions: Why is this named Bretonngyr Allegiance? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VnYDFBl1URFJTandESkx0YW8/view

I would love to use it though :) I believe the spells of myth let’s them know one additional spell and not also cast it as a additional spell per turn right?

Will your new list keep the new changes to Bretonnia as a army list in mind? And more importantly: could you also add some battalions for them? We lost our only 2 after the change. 

I love how simple yet strong the new Nurgle battalions are (like blightguard), so perhaps one with knights and peasant bowmen where both have a -1 on all hit rolls against them (all phases), and your peasant bowmen their stakes could push back charging enemies outside 3” of your bowmen on a 3+ dice roll (while also dealing D6 mortal wounds instead), would be amazing!

The stake effect only lasts until they are attacked once into melee after all, so on a 3 or higher this could save them from being instant killed by a charge. The effect would push back enemies outside the 3”, meaning that they would have to try and charge again next turn. And the -1 would help them out a ton, especially the weak peasants. Instead of flies it could be the mist of the lady protecting them. With the Peasant bowmen their stakes being made from blessed trees.

Also, I would love it if you could add horde points for their peasant units, and make Peasant archers a battle line unit while being part of this Allegiance: warhammer-aos-bretonnia-en.pdf

Perhaps you could rework those points a bit? And add battalions like the one I suggested?

Edited by Nielspeterdejong

Thank you for your response :) I shared your Allegiance PDF with my local club, and we spend the weekend coming up with ideas to make it even greater. 

I shared our ideas with Henin, but I realized that I forgot to share them here as well. Here is what we at our club had in mind, based on other current armies, and the ideas of some of our veterans: 

1) Change the name in the PDF from Bretongyr to Bretonnia, since Bretongyr is no longer there we will have to use the Bretonnian units

2) Add a line at the end of the Favors description that states that Favors may also be used in the enemies turn. Right now this might cause confusion, and with this it is also stated that it may be used in the enemies turn as well, since that is also before your unit performs an action.

3) Instead of the current last Favor, change it so that the Favored unit doesn't lose any models after the battleshock test as long as it rolled a 3 or lower in that battleshock test. This would be a lot more useful, and would have more synergy with our next Virtue of Presence idea:

4) Virtue of Presence now instead lowers the battleshock dice roll by -1. This to allow for more synergy, and to make this command trait more viable. 

5) Change the description of Virtue of Apparition: The General and D3 other units may be placed anywhere on the map after deployment but before the first battle round. But no less then 9" from enemy units. Removing the line that the General has to be on foot would be fair, since all but one of their few heroes are on foot. 

6) We love how Bretonnia starts with 2 items, and then gains an additional item for each of your Battalions. However we were thinking about adding another feature: Noble Standard Bearers now may each gain an item from the Magical Standards item list for free, and in addition to your normal item count. This because without Standards the Noble Standard Bearers are a little under performing, and this would work well for a faction that would then be  known for it's great charges and  powerful items. Each Noble Standard Bearer must still select a unique item from the list, as each item may only be chosen once. 

7) Blade of the Beast slayer now only counts for the Heroes main weapon, but it instead deals +D6 bonus damage per attack against Monster units instead of replacing the regular damage.

8) The Heartwood Lance: This item now lets you reroll failed wound rolls for all of the Heroes melee attacks, due to its legendary power. This includes the mounts melee attacks. 

9) Remove the changed armor ratings for the armor items. Instead a Nobility Hero may have multiple items at the same time, but only 3 unique slot items. These slots are Armor, Shield, Helmet. With the Duardin Great Helm being the only Helmet (and you may still only equip a certain item once), and Armor of the Undying and Geistflame Cuirass being the armor items (which no longer changes the base armor of the Heroes). The Geistflame Cuirass gains the following text instead: "Substract 1 from the hit rolls of any unit within 3" of this model (friend or foe) unless the unit has the Bretonnian keyword". The Shield of Spirits and Favored's Shield still replace the shield related boon of the hero (if any), and count as the Shield items. And the Armor of Amalris takes both a Armor and Shield slot, replaces the current shield related boon with a +1 save bonus, and instead of the current offensive boon it now buffs all of the heroes melee attacks (including that of the mount) by granting them a bonus -1 to rend (which stacks with existing rend). A Hero may have up to 3 items that can be placed in each of the 3 unique slots. Meaning that a hero may end up with a Shield item, a Armor item, and a Helmet item (which is the Duardin Great Helm). This only counts for Armor items, meaning that all of your items must be Armor items, and the regular rules still count for the other type of items. 

10) Horn of Le Chasseur could gain a buff, and as such we were thinking about changing it so that it also lowers the movement speed of enemy flying units by half if they don't have a unmounted movement speed, and they suffer D3 mortal wounds (D6 if it is also a Monster unit). 

11) The Ruby Goblet it's boon is a bit lackbuster, as the heroes of Bretonnia have very low wound values, and have to rely on their armor and magical items along with the Geist's protection. As such we felt that this value could be increased to 5+, to reward the her for surviving an attack that went past their defenses. 

12) We were thinking about buffing the Phantasmal Crest, so that in addition to it's current effects it also lowers the bravery of nearby enemies with the Chaos or Death type to 4. Meaning that even against those kind of factions it will still perform well. 

13) The Gauntlet of Duel sounds like a very promising item, but the description was a bit confusing. Perhaps you could change it so that it states that at the beginning of the combat phase the Hero may select a enemy unit. It may only attack this unit, but the enemy unit must in return attack him back and may not retreat. Other enemy units may not attack the hero until either of the combatants are dead. 

14) Change the text of the Verdant Heart so that it grants its boons in all terrains, not just those with Forest (we can just imagine the magic of the Geist grows a few trees there).

15) The Amper Periapt changes so that it instead grants the Damsel unit +2 maximum Wounds, and heals her for D3 wounds in the Hero Phase. This to give the Damsels an item that lets them be a little more durable, especially since they are so important to many possible strategies. 

16) The Banner of Lady it's text changes to the following: If a enemy unit in melee with the banner makes a battleshock test, it loses an additional D3 models. This would make the standard more powerful, and give it it's own unique flavor. 

17) We felt that the Ethereal Banner was a bit lacking, and we felt that the following changes would allow for a lot more strategies: The Hero and one unit within 3" of him gain +5 move and may move through impassible terrain, buildings, etc. as if they were flying. If the unit can fly, it instead becomes Ethereal (If you make save rolls for this unit, you may ignore the attacker's rend characteristic. In addition, roll a dice whenever it suffers a mortal wound. On a 4 or higher, the wound is ignored). 

18) We were thinking about changing the text for the First Standard to: One unit within 3+ of the Hero does not have to take battleshock tests. 

19) For the point list we have been comparing the Bretonnian units with those from other armies, and adjusted their price range accordingly. We were also thinking about adding that if your army follows this Bretonnian Allegiance then Peasant Bowmen and Battle Pilgrims will count as battleline units. 

Peasant Bowmen: 80 points per 10 models, max 30 for 200 points

Battle Pilgrims: 80 points per 10 models, max 30 for 200 points

Men at Arms: 60 points per 10 models, max 40 for 200 points

Mounted Yeomen: 60 points per 5 model

Knights Errant: 100 points per 5 models

Knights of the Realm: 110 points per 5 models

Questing Knights: 120 points per 5 models

Grail Knights: 120 points per 5 models

Pegasus Knights: 140 points per 3 models

Damsel: 100 points (stays the same)

Enchantress: 160 points

Sacred Protector: 160 points

Field Trebuchet: 180 points

King on Hippogryph: 280 points

In addition to all these changes, we wanted to propose the following 3 Battalions. We spend quite some time brainstorming them, and we based them on a lot of already existing Battalions. And we feel that these would work well with the current Bretonnian roster:

Defenders of the Lady (170)

Requirements: 

1 Damsel unit (Enchantress or Damsel)

1-3 Nobility Hero

3-6 Nobility units (may include Heroes)

3-6 Peasantry units of which one must be a Peasant Bowmen unit

Boons:

-Mist of the Lady: All attacks against units under this battalion suffer a -1 penalty to their hit rolls.

-High Stakes: Peasant Archers from this battalion their stake ability has a chance to push back charging enemies. After enemy units have ended their charge within 3" of the Peasant Bowmen unit, roll a dice for each enemy unit as a interrupt. On a roll of 3 or more the enemy models are pushed back away 4" from the peasant archers int he direction from which they charged, taking D6 mortal wounds instead of the Stake's regular damage, and the Peasant Bowmen retain their ability boons. In addition, their longbows gain -1 rend in the shooting phase against enemies with the Death or Chaos keywords. 

Protectors of the Realm (170)

Requirements: 

1 Nobility Hero

1-3 Damsel Heroes (Enchantress or Damsel)

2-8 Nobility units (may include Heroes)

Boons:

-Sacred Spirits: The protection of the spirits battle trait works for all attacks against those units under this battalion, not just missile attacks. If the unit is a Hero carrying the Favored's Shield, it gains a +1 on it's special save rolls instead.

-Filthy Peasants!: All Nobility units under this battalion gain +3" on their charge rolls. In addition, if a unit from this battalion charged an enemy unit which started with 10 or more models at the beginning of the combat phase, their hoof and talon attacks will deal D3 wounds and gain -1 bonus rend (which stacks with existing rend) this turn instead. If one of the charged units is a non-monster, then in your next turn your Nobility unit may move over it as if it could fly and if it can  end it's movement 1/2" away from a enemy model. This will count as a retreat and the distance travelled will be its move +D6". However afterwards the Nobility unit may also charge in the same turn despite the normal rules. 

Peasant Militia (110)

Requirements:

1 Noble Champion

2-8 Peasantry units

1-4 Trebuchet

Boons:

-Disciplined Cover Fire: Peasant Bowmen under this battalion may always receive their ability boons, regardless of conditions (they still require sufficient model count if the ability requires it). In addition the Trebuchet tehir attacks are guided by the noble champion, and as long as he is alive and the Trebuchet didn't move this turn, they will receive a +1 to hit and wound in the shooting phase. 

-Inspired Peasants: The noble champion gains the effects of two of the Magical Standards items as abilities, but they only affect himself and Peasantry units from this battalion. The range of these effects is doubled. 

We feel that with these ideas they would gain a flavor of their own, while also being able to go head to head against the more recent and powerful armies. Allowing our old models to be used against those armies as well :)

Well there's been a hell of a lot of changes from that document. It has been used as a source to pull ideas from as well as both versions of the official GW compendium warscrolls, Oppenheimer's revised version, Auticus' Deus Vult battletome, the 5th and 6th edition books, re-purposing existing rules from all the Grand Alliances and some stuff I've just made up off my own bat.

Well in that case we will look forward to seeing what you have in mind! You are free to use our ideas as well of course, even though we are not sure how much use they would be by now. Nevertheless, thank you for working so hard on the current list. 

Also, what do you think about our proposed point costs? Right now their units are far too cost ineffecient (which GW did in purpose, to prevent people from using this in the competetive meta). 

Well aside from the charge, the current Bretonnian Warscrolls are a little lackbuster. Hence why I came up with these point costs when comparing them to similar units from other factions. Seeing as they are a human orientated faction, having good cost efficient units would seem fair since they lack the really super strong elite units from other races. But I am looking forward to your ideas then :)

Personally @Nielspeterdejong I feel your points costs are definitely on the 'too cheap' side for the most part.

There's no world in which Grail Knights and Questing Knights should be cheaper than Dragon Blades (Which IMO are already priced quite competitively). They have a far better attack profile due to having inbuilt rend, and that's before any of the kickbacks kick in.

I have no clue about the characters, but I suspect that the King on Hippo at 280 points is too cheap compared to a General on Griffon. Sure, the King lacks 3 wounds and the attack profile isn't as great, but what you are getting is a lot of utility around healing wounds, unbinding, re-rolling hit rolls, re-roll saves of 1 on charge, and ignoring battleshock. Especially if you add on allegiance abilities (that don't necessarily overlap with every banner option in the list) the battleshock immunity could be quite key.

Personally, when I developed my own homebrew Bretonnian allegiance abilities, this is where I landed:

Unit

Min

Max

Battlefield Role

Notes

Field Trebuchet

Artillery

*Knights Errant

110/400

Battleline

*Knights of the Realm

120/440

Battleline

*Men-At-Arms

70/240

Battleline

Bretonnian Lord

Leader

Damsel

Leader

*King on Hippogryph

Leader

Noble Champion

Leader

Noble Standard Bearer

Leader

Enchantress

Leader

*Sacred Protector

Leader

*Battle Pilgrims

*Grail Knights

*Mounted Yeomen

*Peasant Bowmen

*Pegasus Knights

*Questing Knights

Allies: Stormcast Eternals, Sylvaneth, Wanderers

I think the above points would be quite fair with the Order allegiance abilities (Although of course, there's room to tweak. It's hard to judge some of the characters for example and sadly a lot of banners overlap with the generic Order trait anyway). That's before you put the icing on the cake of actual Bretonnian allegiance abilities which will be better than the generic Order stuff.

Edited by someone2040

7 hours ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

Well there's been a hell of a lot of changes from that document. It has been used as a source to pull ideas from as well as both versions of the official GW compendium warscrolls, Oppenheimer's revised version, Auticus' Deus Vult battletome, the 5th and 6th edition books, re-purposing existing rules from all the Grand Alliances and some stuff I've just made up off my own bat.

5 hours ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

The points values we're thinking about are a bit higher than what you're proposing. But considering the new allegiance abilities and changes to warscrolls I think they're proportionally in line. 

Also does that mean you are going to make new Warscrolls for those units? 

Updates:

Just wanted to take a moment and say happy New year's and thank you all for the support you have given us. 

I want to let you guys know that we always look over and consider all the input we get from you guys. So never be discouraged to share your thoughts. It is very much appreciated. 

I know some of you have sent me pms and don't worry I'll get to them ASAP.

With the holidays we have been slowed down a lot but soon I will be releasing a new updated rules and hopefully some official warscrolls for this unofficial book :P prior to the holidays there have been major developments and I'm anxious to put them up! 

So happy New year's! 

-Henin

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I would like to present the first rules draft of the battletome. It took a lot of time to get the rules together but we finally have a draft together that is much more representative of the final rules we are going with. This is just an Alpha version of the rules so things may change of course as well as the names of the units will not all be the same. It is all within reason though and I hope in the end you will all enjoy what we are working on. 

anyway! Click on the link for the rules and if you have any questions or comments please share your thoughts!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NLkIJ1DqqgEziTu6AkN9-ZO5wWkGYZvR

Also, I am providing some of the fluff for each of the Breton Orders in this other document if you care to take a read. All by the incredible Redcrossknight who is breathing life into the lore that has blossomed. I do hope you enjoy the mysterious new fun fan content we have been so lovingly been working on!

Link here as well: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yKtIYnsdblGQljub-Eouwguc8akOFmSJ

If you do end up using these rules I would love to hear about it! Share your thoughts and how the event went down! I hope you all have fun with this as this is the intention!

Anywho, I would like to add that I am still on the lookout for beautiful models and such to showcase in the book. I don't have any at the moment and still searching. I find many beautiful and fitting images on this site but none able to contact me on sending me a full size image of the photograph for their models or adjustments and such. If you have any i'm still looking! 

Cheers!

-Henin

Edited by henin
  • Like 1

Hello Henin,

Thank you for the Alpha draft. I shared it with my friends at the club, and we liked how you handled the Warscrolls for the units, as well as the addition of the Demigryph Knights. 

However we felt that some of the features were a bit lacking, and that they could receive some love when compared to a similar army like the Free Peoples. My friend is a big Free Peoples player, and he actually had some ideas which he felt would make Bretonnia more competetive and stand out more. While still keeping them balanced and fun to play against. 

1) Protection of the Spirits (you accidently put *from* there): This trait feels a bit too situational and also only targets the Nobility units. He recommended changing it like this:

"Roll a dice each time a BRETON unit suffers a wound or mortal wound in the shooting phase. On a 6 or higher that wound or mortal wound is ignored. NOBILITY units may add +1 to this dice roll in the shooting phase. In addition, BRETON units within 6" of a NOBILITY HERO may gain this effect in all phases of the game, not merely the shooting phase."

2) Virtue of Heroism: There is already an order item that increases the damage characteristic by 1 against all units. We feel that it would be fair if this virtue would also increase the general's wound rolls by +1 in addition to increasing the damage characteristic by +1 for that weapon against MONSTER or HERO units.

3) Virtue of Duty: This is the same kind of command trait that the Free People can choose as well, however their range is 9" instead of 6". We think that it's only fair that the range of this command trait is increases to 9" as well.

4) Lore of the Lady: We looked at the Lore of the Lady, and while we liked the idea behind them, we felt that some of their casting values were a little bit too high. Reducing the casting value of some spells would seem fair, especially considering that Bretonnia has no effects that increase the casting values of your spells, they only allow you to reroll them:

The casting value of Fair Tailwind could become 4+, for Entanglement 5+, and for Revivify 8+. Nature's Wrath can stay the same if it also includes our idea (see below).

5) Fair Tailwind: We would suggest to make it so that the unit can move in any direction, not just away from the spell caster. This would give it a lot more utility, as it would give you a 66% chance (by rolling a 2, which gives you a 3" movement) to move outside of the 3" range to the enemy unit. We talked it over, and we believe that this would mean that you could charge again (please correct us if we are wrong, but we believe you may charge if you are not within 3" of a enemy unit). That way you could use it to cycle charge with your units. In addition, we wanted to add that flying units could move D6+2" instead. That way it could be used to give your flying Pegasus knights as well as the Twilight banner item more utility. Also for clarification, add the following text: "The friendly unit may not be placed closer then 1/2" to a enemy model. Moving them in this manner will not count as its movement, as it has not moved on its own". That way flying units like Pegasi can make the most out of this, as they could potentially be moved over enemy units they are in combat with, and charge again in the same turn.

6) Entanglement: We liked the idea behind it, but I would add that the halved values would be rounded down. This would be fair for a 5+ casting value spell, as there is still a chance that the enemy might reach it's target (unless you roll a 10+, for which you should be rewarded).

7) Nature's Wrath: We like the idea behind it, but we feel that it is lacking a bit. We wanted to also add the "Dwellers below" effect in addition to it's current effect, as in that any enemy model within 3" of the terrain (unless it's a monster unit) must roll a dice. On a 6 or more they suffer 1 mortal wound. 

8) Artifacts of Legends: We felt that the Paladin with Standard was a bit underpowered for it's cost, and as such we wanted to add the following changes to the Artifacts of Legends item list: "NOBLITY HERO units with the TOTEM keyword provide your army with a free Magical Standard item each, but it may and must only be equipped to them." And also the following: "If the general of your army is not a named NOBILITY HERO, then he or she may be equipped with a free item. As the HERO is a aspiring champion of the Lady, who has risen up to any challenge put before him or her despite the odds." This is in addition to the standard item you gain, as well as the items you gain for each battalion that you field. 

9) Shield of the Lady: The text is changed in the following way: "Add 1 to this models save rolls. In addition, this model may add 1 to it's Protection of the Spirits roll in the shooting phase."

10) Sirienne's Locket: we wanted to add the following text after it: "If the attack has a damage characteristic of 1 and "-" rend, then for each wound suffered you may roll a dice. On a roll of 4 or more the wound is negated."

11) The Silver mirror: We wanted to add a bit more flavor to this item, and change it in the following way by adding the following text: "Optionally, the bearer may instead choose to use this item to automatically cast one of its spells. The bearer may choose to use either effects after it has attempted to unbind or cast the spell. 

12) Sacrement of the Lady: We think that this spell could be changed from "Once per battle" to "Once per Hero phase" allowing you to have a better chance at casting or dispelling one spell in your or your enemies Hero phases. This would be a weaker version of the Silver Mirror, but one which you can use for a total of one spell in each Hero Phase. 

13) Prayer Icon of Quenelles: While we like the effects, we feel that it is not worth an item. As such we wanted to add one of the previous item effects which you removed: "In addition, the bearer may cast one more spell in your Hero phase."

14) Twilight Banner: We were thinking about adding the following text after its current text: "If the friendly BRETON unit can already fly, then add +1 to its run and charge rolls instead". 

15) We noticed that the Mounted Squires didn't have the Peasantry keyword and that Foot Knights didn't have the Nobility keyword. I believe that we are right in assuming that they are supposed to have these keywords? That does seem the most logical when looking at the rest of the Battletome.

Also, perhaps the Mounted Squires their save could be 4+ instead of the current 5+? They do cost 80 points per 5 models after all, and this would seem fair when compared to other units. 

And Foot Knights cost far too much for 1 wound units. If you based them on greatswords, then I would suggest making the minimum model count 10, and making them cost 160 points per 10 models (for Greatswords it’s 150 points per 10 models). This because the greatswords intercept ability is very powerful, and the “death throw” and “chance to increase rend” abilities of the Foot Knights are both somewhat equal in worth to that ability. 

16) Peasant bowmen: My friend is a competetive Free People's player, and often deploys Crossbow men who cost 100 points, and who can fire twice in their turn with a 4+ to hit and wound as long as no enemy is within 3" and they didn't move. It also has a ability that allows all its models to fire upon a enemy unit that has charged it as an interrupt, as well as a ability that allows some of their attacks to have -1 rend. Seeing as the Peasant Bowmen are supposed to be the best battleline archers around, he felt that their price could be reduced to 100 point (and a 40 model horde could cost 360 points) while also buffing them a little bit. These were his suggestions:

Stakes: "Once per battle the Peasant bowmen unit can set up Stakes in the Hero phase. Any enemy unit that finishes a charge move within 3" of this unit must roll a dice. On a 1 nothing happens, on a 2 or 3 the unit suffers D3 mortal wounds, and on a 4 or higher the unit suffers D3 mortal wounds and its models will be pushed back 31/2" and may not pile in. The protection of the stakes is lost if the Peasant bowmen unit moves or is attacked in the combat phase."

Burning Braziers: Add the following text in front of the Burning Braziers text: "Once per battle the Peasant bowmen unit can set up Burning Braziers in the Hero phase."

17) Woodsmen: We like the concept of these guys, but when compared to for instance the Chameleon Skinks they are a bit lacking. We were thinking about giving their Woodman's bows a -1 rend. In addition, add the following text to Ambush: "If the model is placed within terrain then it suffers none of these restrictions, and may be placed in the first turn on any terrain".  And change the text of Surefooted Stalkers as following: "If a model from this unit would be slain while on terrain, roll a dice. On a roll of 4 or more, the model deftly avoids harm and is not slain."

The -1 rend feels fair as the Chameleon Skinks have 10 attacks for 120 points, with 3+ to hit and 4+ to wound. And the change to Ambush would give you the same flexibility of the Chameleon Skinks, however only provided you put them on terrain. With all these restrictions, and the greater cost, changing the Surefooted Stalkers trait to avoid being slain on a 4+ for all effects did seem more then fair to us. Meaning that your Woodsmen will be more restricted then the Chameleon Skinks, but if you put them in terrain they will be a bit more durable. 

18) Blessed lake: I take it you mean a DAMSEL HERO unit? If so then we really like it, and we think that this will add a lot more flavor to future battles :) 

19) Brothers of the Round: My friends and I felt that some of the Battalions could receive some love. The Brothers of the Round battalion reminded him of a Free People's one, and he recommended adding the following text after the second Ability text: "If the unit contains any Standard Bearers, then none of its units flee on a roll of 1 or 2. 

20) Seeing as you need FIRESLAYER units for the Order of the Burning Lance, I think it's important to add the Fireslayers as potential allies. 

21) When comparing the Field Trebuchet with the Canon, I feel that 180 points would be more then fair as they are very similar. With each having advantages over the other. 

22) For the SAGE'S ORDER, don't you mean COLLEGIATE ARCANE, as this is one of their allies? However, if not then perhaps then the Swordmasters could be changed to a different unit? And the battalion could be reworked a bit? I think that units like the Celestial Hurricanum and the Battlemage on Griphon would be really fitting allies to the Bretonnians. In addition to changing the unit of Swordmasters requirement (this could be Foot Knights instead), we were thinking about changing the text as following:

"All units in the Sage's Order may re-roll hit rolls of 1 if they are within 10" of a COLLEGIATE ARCANE WIZARD. If they already have this effect, then they may reroll all failed hit rolls.

Friendly COLLEGIATE ARCANE WIZARD units add +1 to their casting rolls if they are within 10" of a unit from the Sage's Order. In addition, the COLLEGIATE ARCANE WIZARD from the Sage's Order gains the BRETON and NOBILITY keywords and can temper with the fates. Once per phase you an increase or decrease the result of a single dice roll for this unit  by one."

in addition the battalions cost could be decreased to 120 points, as the second trait mostly only affects the Sage’s Order Wizard. 

23) We love the Royal Airforce, but with the second ability requiring one of your Favour Tokens it feels fair to us to reduce it's cost to 140 points instead. And perhaps the Ragged Brotherhood could be reduced to 120 points, the Defenders of the Realm to 100 points, and the Peasant Militia to 80 points? 

24) The Examplar Order: We liked how it had a restriction, but at the very least we feel that for 120 points it should have another trait. As such we were thinking about adding the following second text: "All units from the Examplar Order may add +1 on their hit rolls if they are within 10" of a NOBILITY HERO and they made a Charge move this turn. 

25) The Black Order: We feel that for 100 points he should have another ability trait, and as such we were thinking about adding the following second trait: "Enemy units within 8"must always make a battleshock test, and must ignore effects that would otherwise prevent them from doing so. In addition, if your opponent makes a battleshock test for these units roll a dice. If the result is higher than the result of your opponent's dice, D3 additional models flee from the unit (as well as any that flee because of the test).

26) King Louen Leoncoeur: We feel that even with all his abilities he is way too expensive with his current 380 points cost. Reducing his point cost to 320 would seem fair, especially when compairing him to other Legendary Lords (as a LL he cannot be equipped with a item, nor gains any command traits after all). This way he would still be pretty expensive, but at least his current cost would be fair considering his abilities. 

27) We loved the idea of adding the Demigryph Knights to the Bretonnian roster, but how about you also add a Breton version of the General of Griffon? You could use the concept of the Freeguild General on Griffon https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-freeguild-general-griffon-en.pdf while replacing some keywords for the unit and its abilities, and also giving the Charging Lance a +1 on wound rolls if the model charged this turn. That way he could be a cheaper alternative (260 points like the standard General on Griffon) to King Louen Leoncoeur, who would lack many of the King's Utilities, but in exchange would be better in combat. Also this would give Bretonnia a much needed Monster unit. This NOBILITY HERO could be called a ARCHDUKE ON GRIFFON, giving you more options to choose from. 

28) Green Knight: We agree with Cayseymax that the Green Knight should have 6 wounds, which is only fair. Price stays the same. 

29) Grail Knights: We also think that the Grail Knights should have a commander, who gains a extra attack like the other units. As well as a 3+ to wound on their Sword and Sacred Lances. And how about we add a ability that gives a similar effect like the Question Vow from the Questing Knights, but then again CHAOS and DEATH? If this could be in addition to their Sword and Sacred Lances then that would warrant their 200 point cost.  

30) Pegasus Knights: Their Lances and Blades could really use a -1 Rend on their attacks. With that their price could remain the same. 

31) The Order of the Burning Lance: Change the first text as following: “All units from the Order of the burning lance add one to their charge rolls. In addition, all of their non-mount attacks deal 1 additional Mortal Wound on a wound roll of 6 or more, provided they charged in the same turn.”

The second text stays the same. 

32) The Order de Chasseurs: We were thinking about making the requirement 1-3 Knight Errant units. In addition we wanted to add the following text at the end of the second text: “In addition the Knight Errant units from this battalion gain The Questing Vow ability from the Questing Knights. Provided they are within 10” of a Questing knights unit.”

34) Defenders of the Realm: we felt the Defenders of the Realm was a bit lacking, even with the suggested cost reduction to 100. Therefor we wanted to add the following lines at the end of the second text: “In addition, provided these units performed all of their attacks against non- MONSTERS/HEROES and they slew more then 10 models (including those lost in the battleshock test), they may both run and charge in the following turn. They may then also move over these non-MONSTER/HERO units as if they could fly, provided they end their retreat more then a 1/2” away from enemy models. 

The last idea we had would be to allow your "The Lady's Favour" to also give you an additional Favour Token each time you kill a enemy HERO or MONSTER. However you did mention to us that you intended for that to be added, so we left that out :)

----

We have been spending the entire day brainstorming about this, and comparing them to other Allegiances out there. And we feel that adding all of these changes to the current list would really improve them, and make them up to par with the current lists. My friend who plays Free People especially felt like you guys were going in the right direction here, and many of our ideas here are from his experience playing the Free Peoples who are a similar army. While giving them some unique flavor of their own.

We hope you will like our ideas, and that you would consider making these changes. As we feel that with this they would be both fun to play with, and also fair to play against. And it would open up more strategies with the suggested synergy ideas, while making all items interesting in their own way.

These are of course just small adjustments, as most of your ideas are already very interesting and promising. We love how much effort you are putting into Bretonnia, especially ever since GW has decided to drop them. And we are very excited to see how the Battletome will turn out!

• Like 1