Narrative Hijack of SCGT 2017

[mention=97]Thornshield[/mention] Hey Ming, do we get a copy of the two pages at SCGT, or do we need to print our own (although how will we know what Tzeentch has obscured..)?
Also I'll happily get involved in an evening game of T&T if anyone wants to play? 

You're taking 5 Lords of Change, surely you know what's been obscured? [emoji12]

I'll release the last few points in the next week or so and people can print these out. I'll bring a few for the weekend if people would like some too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stevewren said:

@Thornshield Hey Ming, do we get a copy of the two pages at SCGT, or do we need to print our own (although how will we know what Tzeentch has obscured..)?

Also I'll happily get involved in an evening game of T&T if anyone wants to play? 

Steve, join me and Ben Johnson if you want! ??

Hi,

I don't seem to have made it to the list on the front page, although I am interested in doing this.

I am also interested in playing something (maybe T&T on the friday), and I had considered bringing my Silver Tower set, to see if people want to do a "narrative silver tower" - the idea being that you use a model from your army, we make up a silver tower profile for it, and crawl a dungeon or two. Then it all turns out to be some kind of "fevered dream" and they wake up the next morning and go off to war.

Matt (KnightFire)

Add Rich Morley to the list please mate.  Looking forward to seeing some of the RAW guys again and fingers crossed I get that rematch versus Adam.  The LOTR Freeguild have been sidelined for the Pure Soul Blight, Blood Knight Brets army instead.  Just remember boys, Love transcends time and place and she "lives" yet! (Will add story later)

IMG_7216.JPG

IMG_7218.JPG

IMG_7236.JPG

IMG_7237.JPG

Just come across this post and am tempted to join in but just have a quick question...

How would a pure SCE army achieve the double 6 to cast/dispel or double 1 to fail a casting roll :(, especially if not running a veritant for dispelling? Or is it a case of suck it up and try and get all the other narratives things done?

Just come across this post and am tempted to join in but just have a quick question...
How would a pure SCE army achieve the double 6 to cast/dispel or double 1 to fail a casting roll [emoji20], especially if not running a veritant for dispelling? Or is it a case of suck it up and try and get all the other narratives things done?

I would just say suck it up, it's more about the narrative than the objectives.

Personally I think if your trying to maximise the boxes you tick your doing narrative wrong, although it's a nice guide to suggest things that make for a good story.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

How would a pure SCE army achieve the double 6 to cast/dispel or double 1 to fail a casting roll [emoji20], especially if not running a veritant for dispelling? Or is it a case of suck it up and try and get all the other narratives things done?

To be fair, I keep (intentionally) forgetting that Stormcast are often different from other armies.

However, it is intentional that not all items on the checklist are easy to achieve as the aim isn't balance but to guide players into dipping their toe into a Narrative style of play if they aren't trying to win the tournament.

(Well you could theoretically win both, but would be quite a feat!)

To expand on my post a bit (now I have a bit more time) - the objective is to think about the narrative, and to do things that lead towards a good narrative (which may not be things that win you the game). So what things make for a good narrative? its the kind of things that make for a good book or film:

Characterisation - give some of your models personality that helps you (and your opponents, or people you tell about the game) understand their objectives and motivations, make them care about the models and whether they achieve what they want. Naming models and giving them and your army a back story is all about making people care about what happens to them. Its the same as why characters in books and films have stories, so that we care about what happens

Tension - key moments in the battle when things might go right and wrong, that critical spell you need to cast, or the charge you need to make, these are the "edge of your seat moments" that make your narrative exciting.

The unexpected - failing that 3" charge, making a 12" charge, these are the plot twists in the narrative of your game - its no longer "I needed a 3 to make the charge and I rolled a 2", its the personalities in the army failing to run 10m into the enemy, but why did it happen? did they trip up? did a passing bird distract them, or did they never receive the order (send three and forpence, we're going to a dance).

The conclusion - how did it work out in the end? did they achieve what they set out to (as in the characters objectives, not the mission objectives). Is your story a tragedy or a tale of heroism?

The checklist is aiming to identify some of the things that you can do, and that can happen during the weekend that contribute to the above, and to encourage people to use these to forge a narrative for their army. 

5 hours ago, Jontypython said:

How would a pure SCE army achieve the double 6 to cast/dispel or double 1 to fail a casting roll :(

You have think you've got it bad - try getting your General to kill another General when he's your only hero (and not a very good one at that!)!?. 

My Freeguild Regiment is wholly unprepared for their weekend - but that's why I love them! Inept, naive, over eager, and terribly unlucky. It's the perfect cocktail for fun!?

Fluff as promised...

“Love transcends time and place - she lives yet”.

Lady Rosalind woke with the same words echoing in her subconscious, perforating dream and reality as they always did.  Whilst her dreams played out versions of “history” unknown to her, a time when mortal and immortal nobility rode out to battle together, she had no reason to question its truth.  For Nagash had allowed her to build a reality of eternal beauty, for true beauty never fades.  A reality that belonged to this world, not the last.  

Her cousins stunk of rotten decay.  “Do you see?”  That was the question posed to her as she travelled the realms.  But all she saw was a hellish vision of falsehoods.  All she saw was weakness.  There was no need to succumb to cheap parlour tricks and paint her kind in its worst light, if one just took a little care, and showed a little restraint.  Novels were filled with vivid depictions of depravity and decay, but they also portrayed pictures of true beauty.  Beauty that flowed from power and regulated sustenance.  So Rosalind “lived” her life with measured control and care, as did her entourage, and they were as beautiful as they could ever have been, in life, or death.  

What’s more, Nagash willed it.  Although Rosalind knew not why.  

All she knew was that her “people” had, of late, pulled down their visors and whispered “the lady wills it” before charging recklessly into battle.  More unsettling still, was the recent appearance of “Izzy”.  Rosalind instinctively wanted nothing more than to take her into her bosom and try and wash away all the pain.  And for a time it would work.  But in the hour before dawn, where the night was darkest, “Izzy” would still wake shivering and sobbing.  Whispering.  Whispering about a Ring and lost love….

My missions are (should they automatically destruct):

Army Name - Soul Blight Night 

General's Name - Lady Rosalind

Backstory - see TGA thread

Overall Goal - To get someone who wasn't doing narrative hijack to join in!

Objectives

1.  Win a game!  (Lost all at Warchiefs!)

2.  Lady Rosalind to survive one game so she can "blood kiss" more followers (she dies - ALOT!)

3.  Get "Izzy" to cast her spell and get an enemy to kill themselves./their friends, all "For Love" (not managed it yet, but they will succumb to her beauty!)

I will let you know how i fare!!!

Ps -  for the real geeks,  the "do you see" and "cheap parlour tricks" part of my fluff above, is a reference to Chris Tomlin's background fluff to his New Venice FEC army at RAW.  Go read it (or listen is better - CT did a great version on TBS) if you've not heard it ?

large.RR2B7094_1600x1067.jpg.3f3067ac46a7bfc715354a8c1713ecb1.jpg

Ok, some info on my army and its objectives:

Generals name: Zebgrokk "the boot of Gork"

Army name: The Gorktide

Backstory - Zebgrokk has it in his head that he is a bigger orruk than godrakk, and that godrakk should be doing what zebgrokk says. How he got this idea isn't quite clear, but it probably has something to do with the suspiciously eloquent shaman that follows him around and whispers in his ears. So far godrakk hasn't even responded to any of Zebgrokk's challenges, and so zebgrokk feels a grand gesture is in order, to make everyone take notice. He has heard of the altar of azyr, and that many armies are heading in that direction, and feels that announcing his challenge to Godrakk from atop the altar of azyr will be suitable, and the bigger the trail of carnage he leaves behind him the better.

Overall goal: To have Zebgrokk shout his challenge to Godrakk from atop the altar of azyr

Objectives:

1. Smash up all the things (get 6000 kill points over the weekend)

2. Zebgrokk is better than godrakk - If I come across godrakk during a game, kill him

3. Brawn over brains - Lose a game on VPs but be up on kill points

large.RR2B7074_1600x1067.jpg.516cfec5b06e9ed15b9c0af190dde2cf.jpg

Backstory and Motivation

‘Yes, Phantom Lord,’ screeched the Lord of Change, and the mighty shimmering beast bent down onto one knee. 

‘Don’t fail me Reponere, ensure your Host will be ready in time,’ hissed the other bird, its words spoken in stereo from dual heads.

It was unusual to see a Lord of Change give deference to another, but Animus was truly blessed by Tzeentch, it was a rare gift indeed to be given two heads and Reponere knew it.

The Bird rose, bowed once to Animus and extended its huge wings, letting out a booming squawk as it took flight into the ether.  Animus’s multiple eyes stared intently at the other Lord of Change as it flew off into the distance.

‘Omnia, can it be trusted,’ spoke the Lord of Change as it moved it’s heads away from the departing spec and stared intently into the gloomy light of the crumbling hall.

Out of the shadows glided a fantastical humanoid, with an elongated face holding many yellow eyes set apart from an unnaturally wide mouth stretching over a pale blue face.  The mouth fell into an evil smile, revealing rows of teeth set back into the gum.  

‘Changehost Reponere will serve you well Phantom Lord,’ replied the Gaunt Summoner.

‘Don’t play me the fool,’ it responded, ‘answer my question.’  The eyes of the Lord of Change swirled from steely blue to fiery red in an instant.

The Gaunt Summoner’s smile stretched even wider, ‘of course my Lord,’ and he bowed in deference to the huge bird, ‘the Altar of Azyr will be yours but Reponere will attempt to gain more favour – you will be challenged.’

Animus’s red eyes darkened further, the Gaunt Summoner’s impossible smile widened even more. 

‘Tzeentch will have a mighty victory, change is everything!’

Animus kept it’s rage in check, noticing the subtlety of the Summoner’s reply.  It still didn’t understand why one of the nine was with it but this mattered little as long as a purpose was served.  Its eyes shimmrered from fiery red to a mystical amber.

‘Yes Omnia Mutatio, member of the nine, Change is Everything.’

The Phantom Lord’s twin necks lifted the two beaks higher into the air and they shouted in stereo, ‘YES, CHANGE IS EVERYTHING!’

Overall Goal

The balance of power has shifted and Tzeentch must claim ascendency.  All other Chaos Gods must be chastened if met, particularly Nurgle.  The freepeoples must be corrupted – the one true God, Tzeentch, must enlighten them by fire if necessary.

Army & Hero Objectives

1) The Army will claim 5000 points of VPs from other Chaos Gods or the Free Peoples over the course of the weekend.

2) Combat Tzeentch is a thing!  Phantom Lord Amnius and Lord Reponere are having a personal duel over the weekend.  They will compete for Tzeentch’s favour, not through blasting foes apart through spells but by smighting them with their weapons of choice!  A tally will be kept to show who wins… 

3) The Gaunt Summoner will be demonstrating the power of magic over ‘pew pew’ this weekend.  He will personally claim over 1000 VPs of ‘pew pew’ through personal spellcraft mastery!

Archived